Championship - Hull City vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Really at the pointy end of the season now

Hull Win
8%
Town Win
77%
Draw
15%

Total votes: 13

rossi

Re: Championship - Hull City vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by rossi » Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:13 am

mendipblue wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:36 pm
Bluemike wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:04 pm
mendipblue wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:02 pm
Hirst starts Burns not in squad : shock:
Burns starts !!
Sorry had a stevie wonder moment 😎
What a crasse, juvenile, pathetic remark - similar to one you made last season about paedophiles in the Philippines.
Not funny in the slightest.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:21 am

Having slept on it, that's a decent result given the circumstances and the minimum we needed to achieve our goal, it was always going to be the hardest of the Three games.

Yes we gifted them goals but as Charnwood says they also had a part to play and did things like closing down very well. For me Morsy for the first, Burgess for the Second and Hladky for the Third will all be disappointed and feel they should have done better. I attach no blame to Hladky for the first, he did what we have done for Forty Four games now and that is what most of our success has been built upon, unfortunately for once Morsy got it wrong.

shabba

Post by shabba » Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:49 am

Gosh. Another rollercoaster and unsure how I feel about things this morning, probably would have taken a point before the game - but it feels yet another big opportunity missed given we were let ourselves down somewhat defensively.

Hirst was very good first 50mins and showed us what we miss with the hold up play he has, Burns was direct again and did pretty ok - so it’s great to have them back.

‘IF’ we win weds all is fine. But once again it’s ‘just enough’ and we will have another nerve shredding night ahead Tuesday.

I guess at least it’s not long to wait - unlike the last two weeks.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:54 am

rossi wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:13 am
mendipblue wrote:
Bluemike wrote:

Burns starts !!
What a crasse, juvenile, pathetic remark - similar to one you made last season about paedophiles in the Philippines.
Yeah , but it doesn’t REALLY bother you THAT much does it Rossi? Otherwise the “Philippines paedo problem” post would've been posted at 7:09am , and the Ipswich v Hull post would’ve been at 7:13am?
I mean prioritising stuff is a real thing when people are THAT bothered.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:58 am

I don't get it? So he was singing and dancing to Stevie Wonder too much to be able to concentrate on reading the team sheet. What's the biggie??

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:00 am

hallamblue wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:45 pm
Charnwood wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:12 pm
For what it’s worth I thought that was a brilliant game of football tonight closely fought by two teams who clearly wanted to win. To be honest we never looked like losing and I always expected us to be good enough to get one more than our opponents and I still don’t know how we didn’t score a fourth.

When I read some of the comments on here it makes me laugh and I can only assume some of you only see one team on the pitch and forget we have 11 equally determined opponents all doing their bit to make their team effective. Some seem to think the opposition don’t exist or even score any goals themselves, and assume they just get gifted them just like Omari had two gifted to him tonight by poor defending.

You could say Hladky made two bad errors tonight which cost us the match, but you could look at it differently and say Hull scored those two goals through their impressive pressing which they applied throughout the match.

Come on guys that was a pretty impressive end of season performance tonight at a time when anyone knowledgeable about their football knows that winning points is very difficult.
Yes it was amazing impressive performance, spoiled by poor defending. No point scoring 3 brilliant goals only to give soft goals away at the other end. Our goals scored were different quality to the ones we let in....in my humble opinion of course. We should have won that game.
I’m sure Hull City fans are all saying poor defending cost them three goals. Burns should never have been allowed to get his cross in and they had a second defender who should have stopped the cross from getting anywhere near Hirst for our opener. Both Omari’s goals could also have been defended better, had their defender not allowed Hutchy to cut inside him and get the ball on his left foot he’d not have been able to score either goal. Both Hutchy’s goals as good as they were came from poor defending.
What you need to realise Liz is there were two teams of 11 on that pitch last night both desperate to win. You seem to only see the players on the pitch in blue who either score brilliant goals at one end, or defend sh*t to concede goals at the other end. Believe it or not there were 11 players in orange last night who contributed massively to what happened at both ends.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:11 am

It’s now the morning after the night before, and I’ve slept ( not particularly well I’ll add), on it, and I view it as a good point against a strong , determined Hull. Yes there are always two teams in a game, but we do do our level best to help the opposition at times. Maybe the team should be sat down to watch how QPR players defended against a far better equipped team. We ship goals far too easily I feel, and this has been a problem all the season. We even allowed a very poor Rotherham side stick three past us at PR.

But we move on to Tuesday night another game with two teams playing each other. I’ve seen comments elsewhere that they are “knackered, and have given up , and are finished” etc. I sincerely hope Town that treat them respect and get the job done. Leeds probably thought they just had to turn up and the three points were theirs.

So my thinking as we enter the last two games this coming week, beware is very much, the relegation threatened/ relegated side , and those with “ nothing to play for”, they’ll have absolutely no pressure on them, and it’ll all be on us. We really need to win Tuesday to take the pressure off a little for that last home game.

Just my thoughts and views guys ok.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:13 am

rossi wrote:
mendipblue wrote:
Bluemike wrote:

Burns starts !!
Neither is your response Rossi, this is totally unnecessary and yet another attempt to provoke an argument.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:25 am

I’ve read so much crap on various Town fans social media sites written by so called town fans that leads me to believe we must have some of the dumbest fans in English football who have no understanding whatsoever about the game. Given the low quality of some of the stuff written some may have not yet been introduced to education however the administrators still allow them to spout drivel.

Thank god most of our posters on here at least understand the game and appreciate what a fantastic season McKenna and the boys are having.

If we can repeat last nights performance for two more games winning 4 more points shouldn’t be beyond us and EPL here we come. I’m definitely up for that.

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:29 am

Charnwood wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:13 am
rossi wrote:
mendipblue wrote:

Neither is your response Rossi, this is totally unnecessary and yet another attempt to provoke an argument.
Correct, thats his modus operandi when he is challenged.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:40 am

Charnwood wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:25 am
I’ve read so much crap on various Town fans social media sites written by so called town fans that leads me to believe we must have some of the dumbest fans in English football who have no understanding whatsoever about the game. Given the low quality of some of the stuff written some may have not yet been introduced to education however the administrators still allow them to spout drivel.

Thank god most of our posters on here at least understand the game and appreciate what a fantastic season McKenna and the boys are having.

If we can repeat last nights performance for two more games winning 4 more points shouldn’t be beyond us and EPL here we come. I’m definitely up for that.
Agree. Also, there is the realization of going up via the play offs if automatic doesn't happen. That's still a pretty exciting prospect for a team that has just been promoted to the Championship. Just like many, I am greedy for success after the way we've attacked this season. I sometimes have to take a deep breath and acknowledge how brilliant we've been. Sure we have inconsistencies in defense, but a lot of that has to do with KMs style and tactics. I just hope there isn't a melt down on this forum if we don't get automatic and end up in the play offs. Mostly because I'll need shoulders to cry on myself! :lol:

rossi

Post by rossi » Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:26 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:13 am
rossi wrote:
mendipblue wrote:

For your information, I have a relative who is blind, and if anybody takes the p*ss out of blind people then I see red. And when I read it, I remembered an equally crasse remark about paedophilia in the Philippines (which is another red flag to me) made a year ago by the same poster.

So, no, you're completely wrong - I'm not trying to provoke an argument, just reacting to a comment I find extremely distasteful

RRanger

Post by RRanger » Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:10 pm

What a nerve-shredding wonderful match - quite possibly the best and most exciting I've seen all season in this wonderfully competitive league.Having said that I.too ,am obviously disappointed that we gave away the winning position three times ,but lets face it,we've been doing similarly all season with the only difference being that we've usually managed that last minute winning goal.I thought we had at least 2 very good chances in the closing minutes to grab that winner: Kiefer Moore had the whole goal to aim at when he was through and hit it straight at the goalkeeper and so did Sarmiento.
Yes,I was disappointed that Hladky parried their 3rd goal instead of catching it but I don't attach any blame to him for the pass to Sam M for the first Hull goal as Sam (his Captain) was asking for it and it was Sam's 100% mistake for not doing what he would normally do and pass it straight to one of the two defenders on the flanks.
For the record ,I do think we will get one of the automatic spots: Hull went to Coventry and won 3-2 when Coventry ,in theory at least ,still had the possibility of a play-off spot which they don't now. Coventry also had one of their CBs red carded ,add to that the number of games they have had to play in the last couple of weeks and the disappointment of losing the FA Cup semi-final when they were the better side and I suspect most of their players just want to be on a beach somewhere hot and sunny. I think we will win at Coventry and I can't see us losing the last match of the season in front of a sold out Portman Road - remember ITFC v Exeter last season!
Two other observations : Southampton aren't a bad side overnight and Leeds were demolished by QPR so given the prospect of them having to possibly meet each other in the playoffs I don't think its a given that Leeds will beat them next week.
My other observation is for those that like a long-term flutter ,get on QPR to be promoted next season before the season starts ,preferably asap if you can get a bookie to give you a price now.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:55 pm

RRanger wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:10 pm
What a nerve-shredding wonderful match - quite possibly the best and most exciting I've seen all season in this wonderfully competitive league.Having said that I.too ,am obviously disappointed that we gave away the winning position three times ,but lets face it,we've been doing similarly all season with the only difference being that we've usually managed that last minute winning goal.I thought we had at least 2 very good chances in the closing minutes to grab that winner: Kiefer Moore had the whole goal to aim at when he was through and hit it straight at the goalkeeper and so did Sarmiento.
Yes,I was disappointed that Hladky parried their 3rd goal instead of catching it but I don't attach any blame to him for the pass to Sam M for the first Hull goal as Sam (his Captain) was asking for it and it was Sam's 100% mistake for not doing what he would normally do and pass it straight to one of the two defenders on the flanks.
For the record ,I do think we will get one of the automatic spots: Hull went to Coventry and won 3-2 when Coventry ,in theory at least ,still had the possibility of a play-off spot which they don't now. Coventry also had one of their CBs red carded ,add to that the number of games they have had to play in the last couple of weeks and the disappointment of losing the FA Cup semi-final when they were the better side and I suspect most of their players just want to be on a beach somewhere hot and sunny. I think we will win at Coventry and I can't see us losing the last match of the season in front of a sold out Portman Road - remember ITFC v Exeter last season!
Two other observations : Southampton aren't a bad side overnight and Leeds were demolished by QPR so given the prospect of them having to possibly meet each other in the playoffs I don't think its a given that Leeds will beat them next week.
My other observation is for those that like a long-term flutter ,get on QPR to be promoted next season before the season starts ,preferably asap if you can get a bookie to give you a price now.
Absolutely spot on and correct.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:19 pm

Even if Morsy had asked for the ball ( his back to what’s going on behind him btw ), Why did our keeper choose to give the ball to an outfield player who was marked by two opposition players ? It was madness and a totally unnecessary risk IMHO, and it cost us a goal.

What I did notice last night was how little, Woolfenden instigated our build up play from defence. I don’t think he did once did
he ? He’s normally the one who eventually “ feeds” Morsy with a short forward ball. But Morsy who would normally receive that ball further away from the 18 yard line, dropped deeper , just in front of our 18 yard area.

Looking forward to Tuesday game now, I wonder is Davis will be fit to play? And will Hirst ( who showed last night just how much we’ve missed his input to the attack) and Burns be able to manage two games in such a quick turnaround around? We certainly need all these players. Fingers crossed.

Andym

Post by Andym » Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:29 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:19 pm
Even if Morsy had asked for the ball ( his back to what’s going on behind him btw ), Why did our keeper choose to give the ball to an outfield player who was marked by two opposition players ? It was madness and a totally unnecessary risk IMHO, and it cost us a goal.

What I did notice last night was how little, Woolfenden instigated our build up play from defence. I don’t think he did once did
he ? He’s normally the one who eventually “ feeds” Morsy with a short forward ball. But Morsy who would normally receive that ball further away from the 18 yard line, dropped deeper , just in front of our 18 yard area.

Looking forward to Tuesday game now, I wonder is Davis will be fit to play? And will Hirst ( who showed last night just how much we’ve missed his input to the attack) and Burns be able to manage two games in such a quick turnaround around? We certainly need all these players. Fingers crossed.
I agree with all this. Morsy called for the ball but there were better options and Hladky should have seen that. Equally, Morsy should have been aware of what was around him and moved it on first time - even if that meant hoofing it. So I think they share the blame. That’s not a total criticism, we have scored so many by starting moves that way. It just went wrong for once.
Also agree about Woolfenden. Whether he was closed down more by a team that tried to attack us i’m not sure, but he wasn’t as constructive as usual.
It was a good entertaining match and overall we played well.
I wouldn’t be surprised if Davis is absent on Tuesday. I’m expecting Hirst and Burns to be fit; I don’t think they would have been risked if not ready, and hoping they can give an hour again.