Don's Watford v Ipswich Preview & Match Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Away Day Points?

Watford Win
30%
Draw
40%
Ipswich Win
30%

Total votes: 10

The Don
Forum Hall of Famer

Don's Watford v Ipswich Preview & Match Thread

Post by The Don » Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:54 pm

Image Watford v Ipswich Town Image

Saturday 19th April 2014
Vicarage Road – 15:00

Should be plenty of goals tomorrow then…….

Opening Thought
Another victory, another step towards the play-offs, another goal from Murphy. It’s turning into a pretty good end to the season.

Given how our promotion chances have normally ended long before January, it’s kind of refreshing to be sitting around on a weekend keeping tabs on everyone around us to see what they are doing. The race for sixth place is hotting up, with goal difference looking to be the deciding factor in a couple of weeks. How will we feel about those last minute lapses of concentration should we miss out, by just a couple of goals from reaching the play-offs?

In a set back this week, it’s came out that McGoldrick has suffered some issues on his road to recovery and will more than likely miss the rest of the season and not be able to make the play-offs should we reach them. Whilst that would have been devastating news a few months ago, others have stepped up and it’s doesn’t ring alarm bells quite as much as it would have done. Credit has to go to Murphy who keeps delivering the goods for us in times of need. Of course, the continued loan of Johnny Williams can’t be discredited as we were totally lacking in creative chances prior to his arrival. If we can nail that position down for next season, anything is possible.

Young Jack Marriot has been brought back from his loan spell this week, rumoured to be used as cover for the struggling SEB. Depending on where you read your Town info, it seems that with Murphy now delivering, the scapegoat medal has fallen onto the shoulders of young Sylvain. As with Murphy, I feel that it’s slightly harsh. He has shown glimpses of talent and once he gets a full pre-season worth of training behind him, I believe he will come good.

Theres no denying that over the last few games that once Anderson and Hunt were removed for the addition of Nouble and SEB, we have been more dangerous.

Anyway, onto the game and we’re on our travels again, this time to Hertfordshire to play our nemesis. A place we never get a result.

The Opposition
The glory horns are best known for their spells under former England Manager Graham Taylor. Having taken charge of the club in 1977, he won promotion to the third division in 78, the second in 79 and the first in 82. After a spell in Europe and the FA Cup final, Taylor left the club in 87, only to return 10 years later to guide them to another successive promotion run. Unfortunately he was unable to stop them dropping out of the Premiership and ultimately retired in 2001. He had continued to be part of the Watford set-up as chairman until their takeover by Udinese and Granada Owner Giampaolo Pozzo.

Last season, they came close to reaching the promised land, missing out on a place at the last hurdle. A lot of that was down to the influx of loans from Udinese and Grenada, most of which have disappeared this time, leaving Watford to stutter around mid-table. They dispatched manager Zola in December, in favour of Guiseppe Sannino in a move hoping to steady the ship.

Whilst he has steady things, Watford still find themselves sitting in mid-table, currently enjoying a run of 5 games without defeat.

One To Watch
Troy Deeney currently sits at the top of the Watford scoring charts with 22 goals. Born in Birmingham, Deeney started his career in Aston Villa's youth scheme but was released at the age of 15. He joined Chelmsley Town a little while after whilst also studying to become a builder. Whilst at Chelmsley he was talent spotted by Walsall. The introduction of Chris Hutchings as manager coincided with Deeney finding a goalscoring touch. Helped by the fact his new manager started playing him in his favoured striking position, instead of on the right-wing as previous manager Jimmy Mullen had, Deeney scored nine goals in Hutchings' first 12 games in charge.

On 4 August 2010, Deeney handed in a written transfer request amid interest from several Championship clubs. He signed for Watford two days later for an initial fee of £250,000 rising up to £500,000 on a two-year contract. Deeney went on to make 36 appearances for Watford in his first season scoring two goals from 17 starts although he was mainly deployed on the wing by Malky Mackay.

In his second season at Watford, Deeney made over 40 appearances under the management of Sean Dyche in his preferred position as striker. Deeney finished the season as Watford's top goalscorer with 11 goals and also won the Goal of the Season Award for his goal against Ipswich Town in March 2012

The Gaffer
Who? Yeah exactly.

In his career , Giuseppe Sannino played as a creative attacking midfielder for several minor league teams, with Serie C2 club Vogherese being the one he became most associated with. Sannino retired from active football in 1988, after a lone season with Ligurian amateur club Entella.

In management, he’s been around. Starting out at Oltrepo, he went on to manage Biellese, Sudtirol, Meda, Sangiovanesse, Varese, Cosenza, Lecco. Pergocreme. Varese, Siena, Palermo, Chievo and now Watford. I’ll be honest, I hadn’t heard of most of them bar the most recent couple but apparently they are Serie B, C & D teams where he was in charge for little over a year with each.

Anyway, that’s him. He may have even presented the Crystal Maze at one point too.

I like to think he's calling someone, something naughty here :wink:

Stat Time
Head 2 Head
Ipswich Town Wins................22
Watford Wins......................25
Draws................................17

Ipswich Town Goals...............90
Watford Goals.....................89

Head 2 Head at Watford
Ipswich Town Wins................9
Watford Wins.......................16
Draws.................................7

Ipswich Town Goals................37
Watford Goals......................49

The Predicted Teams

Ipswich Town
As mentioned above, McGoldrick has suffered a setback and will remain out. Smith (calf), Anderson and SEB (both hamstring) all have niggles and are questionable, but Cresswell should return after missing out last week.

.............................Gerken...............................

Chambers..........Berra........Smith........Cresswell

Tabb.........Hyam…….....Skuse…………Hunt………

………………………..Williams………………………

.........................Murphy.......................

Watford
Cassetti will miss out as he completes his two-match suspension. The game could come too soon for Battocchio and Doyley as they battle back from knee and ankle injuries respectively, while Anya will be assessed on a knock picked up at Millwall. (One-Size) Fitz Hall also in contention having overcome an Achilles injury..

.........................Almunia.......................

.……Hoban......Angella.….....Ekstrand

Faraoni……Abdi…..McGugan…..Tozser…...Riera

…………….Deeney……… Forestieri……………….

Ref Interview
Gary Sutton

Looks like he needs to keep off of the jelly beans

A League referee since 2005/06, Sutton, from Lincoln, has refereed just 18 games so far this season dishing out 51 yellow cards and 3 red cards. Of the 18 games, only 4 have been in the Championship.

Ipswich have enjoyed the company of Mr Sutton three times, each one ending in victory for us. The most recent was the 2-1 victory over Huddersfield in 2013. Prior to that, you’d have to go back to the 3-2 win against Posh.

Final Thought
I hate Watford. I hate their colours. I hate their ground. I hate that we can’t beat them.

Ok, that may be a little extreme but, you get the point.

If we are serious about going up this season, we need to be brushing them aside and collecting a full tally of points to bring home with us. I just don’t feel that confident, even with the ref historically bringing us some good fortune. That all changes on Monday as the tosspot from Billericay is in charge.

In a way, I’ll be happy to take a point away from here, but realistically we need more than that.

WATFORD 1 IPSWICH TOWN 1

Enjoy the game and safe travels if you’re going.

Oh, alright then………………….Ooosssssshhhhhhh

James Scharmann

Re: Don's Watford v Ipswich Preview & Match Thread

Post by James Scharmann » Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:07 pm

2-1 to Watford I am afraid hope I'm wrong though

Ohiotractorboy

Post by Ohiotractorboy » Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:22 pm

Excellent Don, I am going with a 1-1 draw

Floors

Post by Floors » Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:23 pm

I'm going for 2-1 to town. But the game is in danger of being abandonded after Elton John takes to the pitch at half time and starts to sing 'Saturday Nights Alright for Fighting' near riots break out on the terraces as fans battle in attempt to get on the pitch and make him stop.

mini

Post by mini » Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:28 pm

Going tomorrow and even though I have been to Vicarage Road on numerous occasions have never seen us win there.

Hopefully that will change tomorrow but have a feeling that Watford might yet again prove to be our nemesis.

Watford 2 Town 0

number 9

Post by number 9 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:58 pm

As my prediction league suggests, I'm going for a hard fought draw. If we win it will be very exciting, but a loss will probably end our play off hopes for sure. So I'll settle for the draw. COYBs!

larrylamb
Location: Poole (dorset) with work !!! most of the time or Ipswich at Home..!!

Post by larrylamb » Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:03 pm

Hoping to sneak a 1-Nil win here , but given todays results a point would put as level six with it all to play for ...and even though not what anyone would want "if" we do lose it would not be the end of the world as still very much in the fight.. :mrgreen: ...good day overall just hope our team can take advantage..and i think they can..and on a plus not Bournemouth just may have fallen off their winning streak...draw and then 4-2 against ten men..maybe deflate them a bit if were lucky !!

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:52 pm

I think our players will raise their game tomorrow and repeat the result at Brighton.

0-2 to Town and up to 6th place.

Bournemouth losing, Brighton drawing and Wigan putting 3 past Reading, I can't think of a better set of results as far as Town are concerned which must give the players a tremendous boost.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:02 pm

A great day for us today, as charnwood has already said it couldnt have gone much better today with Bournemouth and Reading losing and Brighton and Blackburn drawing, it really is in our hands now !!!

Even defeat tomorrow would not be the end of the world, a point would be great and a win would be out of this world and would see us in the box seat. Before todays games thought we would lose this one so i will stick with my prediction of 2-0 watford win, however i am really looking forward to my first trip to vicarage road and you just never know, the players will have added incentive to get a result tomorrow after the events of today. can we possibly do another Brighton tomorrow ? That really would be awesome.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:03 pm

Looking forward to my first away game this season, and a first ever to Vicarage Rd. So far my previous two games this season have resulted in 2-1 defeats. So I will stick with a 2-1 defeat again, but keep my fingers crossed that this is 3rd time lucky and we can reverse that.

The Don
Forum Hall of Famer

Post by The Don » Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:55 pm

bluemike wrote:A great day for us today, as charnwood has already said it couldnt have gone much better today with Bournemouth and Reading losing and Brighton and Blackburn drawing, it really is in our hands now !!!

Even defeat tomorrow would not be the end of the world, a point would be great and a win would be out of this world and would see us in the box seat. Before todays games thought we would lose this one so i will stick with my prediction of 2-0 watford win, however i am really looking forward to my first trip to vicarage road and you just never know, the players will have added incentive to get a result tomorrow after the events of today. can we possibly do another Brighton tomorrow ? That really would be awesome.
Totally mate. As I've said, I'm not looking forward to catching the results tomorrow, but today's games have certainly made things slightly better.

It's all down to us now, and the excitement is growing.

phily bon bon

Post by phily bon bon » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:01 pm

I have never been too keen on Watford especially as I lived in Luton for 7 years , but I have to say they are our bogie side as said before. We rarely get a good result there but if someone had said to me at the business end of the season we would be several points ahead most would say yes please and snap the proverbial hand off.
The atmosphere is always great at Watford and though the results haven't been good of late, the travelling blue army will hopefully enjoy their day out.

Mach_Polish_Blue

Post by Mach_Polish_Blue » Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:25 pm

Great preview Don.

What a day it's going to be !

For the first time in many years our destiny regarding play-offs/promotion is in our own hands. All is clear as if we win all remaining 4 games and play-offs we're in the Premier League and no need to look on other teams' results. Speaking realistically we won't win all games. It could go to the last day of the season.

Tomorrow is our Blue day. The day we've been waiting after 9 years of mediocrity. No matter what the result will be it's still our big day. If we lose (which I think we will given Watford's superb home form since Sannino took over) it's not going to be a disaster. Let's not be too angry if we lose. If any of us are going to be angry then when you've calmed down think about where we came from. Mick has turned our club in such quick way. Only 18 months ago our club were BOTTOM OF THE LEAGUE with a total mess of football team, the team with no nucleus, the team with full of disinterested loanees and has beens.
From the bottom of league to where we are now ---->> in 18 months !!!!!!!!!!!

If we finish where we are I'll be happy. Top 10 was my personal target. Top 6 has been a kind of dream too. If we don't make top 6 think about next season. Couple of additions to midfield this summer and we can be a real force next season and stay in top 6 for all campaign.

The only regret regarding tomorrow is that we'll miss Didsy.

Predicition? Watford 2-1 Town but I'm praying to be wrong.

Let's enjoy the day as we haven't had anything like that for years ! This is our day ! COME ON YOU BLUEEEEEEESSSSS !!!!!!!

Mr.Punch

Post by Mr.Punch » Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:50 am

W W W W W L D ... PL :D

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:53 am

phily bon bon wrote:I have never been too keen on Watford especially as I lived in Luton for 7 years , but I have to say they are our bogie side as said before. We rarely get a good result there but if someone had said to me at the business end of the season we would be several points ahead most would say yes please and snap the proverbial hand off.
The atmosphere is always great at Watford and though the results haven't been good of late, the travelling blue army will hopefully enjoy their day out.

They weren't our bogey side last season when we won 0-1 against Watford side playing much better football than they are this season.

This is doable today, we have to believe as do the players.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:56 am

Great post Mach and spot on, cant wait for the game today bud and looking forward to meeting up with you again, and if by some miracle we do win dont bloody kiss me !!!! COYB'S :)

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:34 am

Leaving for Watford shortly..... COYB'S !!!!!!!!

The Don
Forum Hall of Famer

Post by The Don » Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:04 am

Safe travels mike, and anyone else that's making the journey.

Enjoy the day :D

herforder

Post by herforder » Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:55 am

Slightly belated entry (story of my life!)....... :wink:

But thanks Don for another good 'un - hesitate to say just 3 more to go, whilst the dream remains very much alive (to answer Bluemike's other post).

Nothing more useful to add to all the wise words above. The stars aligned in our favour yesterday, and our destiny lies within our control. Time for the boys to believe even more, and hopefully grab it with both hands. Leave nothing on the pitch over the remaining matches, and there'll be nothing to regret - whatever the final outcome. Where we are now, compared to where we started, is nothing short of a minor miracle - giving real hope for the future.

Lived in Bushey (near Watford) for a couple of years in the early 80's and saw quite a bit of them during that time: Graham Taylor, Luther Blissett, Ross Jenkins, John Barnes et al! Can recall going to a reserve fixture v. Town at Vicarage Road one winter's evening, where one George Burley was making a tentative come-back following a long injury. Different age, but still the same sense of excitement as any KO approaches, heightened now by what might be.

Safe journeys to all those travelling. Hopefully Bluemike will be feeling Mach's whiskers at around 4.50 pm :D

J4ck22

Post by J4ck22 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:42 pm

A win today would be massive and I'm incredibly nervous, although this time it's for completely the right reasons which is such a relief after seasons of relegation battles and close calls, it's great to be so close to the playoffs.

Like what has been said previously in this thread, the transformation since Mick took over has been incredible and even if we don't make the playoffs, this should still be looked at as a great achievement considering what we've been through and we really shouldn't be too hard on the team if we don't make the playoffs as they've worked incredibly hard for it.

So yeah, I'm going for a 1-0 win, gotta have belief!!

larrylamb

Post by larrylamb » Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:36 pm

Another link guys...this is also a good site with no down load required , and just pop up adverts that go after around 30 secs...works OK for me and i use a fair bit..

http://www.usagoals.tv/ showing the game..!!!

http://www.asian-tips.com/live_football_streams.asp also showing our match though could be overseas so not in english.

Have fun

These sites show loads of matches so worth keeping if a footie fan.. :mrgreen:

larrylamb

Post by larrylamb » Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:52 pm

streams are working..!!! :mrgreen:

James Scharmann

Post by James Scharmann » Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:26 pm

1-0 down great strike by Riera

larrylamb

Post by larrylamb » Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:53 pm

I would take Nouble off at half time or move him , his touch has been poor despite see,ing the ball a fair bit...maybe hunt who has a bit more know how than a young Nouble..Wordy not overly impressing either.....not sure where you could change this around though...Taylor would be more direct and run at Watford..but would require a reshape in midfield...but we certanly need to buck up a bit...first ten to fifteen were decent but not much since then really

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:53 pm

Based on the match stats we appear to be well in the game, more possession, more shots, equal on corners. We're certainly not out of it.

larrylamb

Post by larrylamb » Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:58 pm

Charnwood wrote:Based on the match stats we appear to be well in the game, more possession, more shots, equal on corners. We're certainly not out of it.
Dont think the stats actually represent the game that well, Almuinia only one save to make really from Williams...the rest was just niff / nafff and not worth a mention really..Watford look the more dangerous by far after the first 15 mins (watching the game on stream)

phily bon bon

Post by phily bon bon » Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:06 pm

No not out of it but looking jaded and only Williams looking real class imho. Nouble has offered nothing as yet nor Woody . Hope Mick kicks some arse at ht.

larrylamb

Post by larrylamb » Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:12 pm

Ha.ha , shows what i know...Wordy goal with a Nouble assist :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

James Scharmann

Post by James Scharmann » Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:12 pm

1-1 WHAT A START BY US

For you who asked to take Nouble off he's just set up Wordsworth to tuck in the equaliser :D

phily bon bon

Post by phily bon bon » Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:12 pm

Sorry to Nouble and Woody :-)