Who will be the next Manchester United Manager ?

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:42 am

Here are a few options:

Netherlands coach Louis Van Gaal 4/6 fav

Real Madrid's Carlos Ancelotti 5/1

Jose Mourinho 11/1

Ryan Giggs 20/1

Borussia Dortmund boss Jurgen Klopp 20/1

Atletico Madrid's manager Diego Simeone 25/1

Roberto Martinez 33/1

Paris St-Germain's Laurent Blanc 33/1

Re-instate Sir Alex Ferguson 33/1

From those I think I'd take Carlos Ancelotti who'd have no problem whatsoever dealing with the MU Prima Donna's, or go for outsider Roberto Martinez who for me is the most exciting manager in English football, however after big flop David Moyes I suspect the Man United Board will opt for a safe pair of hands.

number 9

Re: Who will be the next Manchester United Manager ?

Post by number 9 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:38 pm

Klopp has ruled himself out, but of course sometimes money changes people's minds. I'd be surprised if Ancelotti left Real...especially since they're on the cusp of winning the champion's league. I think that result could be the deciding factor for him, though. I'd be even more surprised if Jose leaves Chelsea now. In my opinion, he would have been the best replacement for Sir Alex although I thought Moyes would have done better. Don't rule out Pep either. If Bayern gets dumped out of the champion's league, he just might be persuaded. It would be brilliant to have both Pep and Jose in the premier league. One thing is for sure, it won't be a British manager.

Jamma123

Post by Jamma123 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:38 pm

Roy Keane seems to have been missed off that list... :wink: There must be odds somewhere on him leaving his Ireland role for the Old Trafford hotseat...!

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:11 pm

I'm sure there are others although I've not seen any odds offered for Roy Keane.

Others I have seen are Steve Bruce 20/1, Pepe Guardiola 14/1 and Brendan Rogers 100/1.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:18 pm

In fact I have now seen odds offered for Roy Keane in the range 66/1 - 250/1.

But to get it in perspective PaddyPower are even offering odds on Bruce Forsyth and Lady Gaga at 1000/1 to get the job.

Personally I think Lady Gaga would stand a better chance of getting the players onside. :lol:

axe grinder

Post by axe grinder » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:26 pm

Give keano the job.

Man U will be a team of ex Sunderland players at the start of the season

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:30 pm

I'm sure Mr Wickham would love that. :wink:

The Don
Forum Hall of Famer

Post by The Don » Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:35 pm

Louis Van Gaal for me. Seems the best fit, will be available after the World Cup and is of high standing within the football world.

J4ck22

Post by J4ck22 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:55 pm

Mick McCarthy, he'll sort out that defence.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:00 pm

as long as it is not MM I don't give a dam. :wink:

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:05 pm

derick_ipsw wrote:as long as it is not MM I don't give a dam. :wink:

With all due respect Roy Keane would stand more chance of landing the job than our Mick so no need for any of us to worry.

Frosty
Forum Owner

Post by Frosty » Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:14 am

Funnily enough I wondered about whether they may go for Brendan Rogers the other day, but quite frankly why would you leave Liverpool at the moment?

The Don
Forum Hall of Famer

Post by The Don » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:11 am

Has Alan Curbishly ruled himself out yet?

Dazzz67

Post by Dazzz67 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:15 pm

Id like to see Zippy from Rainbow as manager, very under-rated, did a cracking job with Norwich under 12's, with Peppa Pig as coach, also makes a cracking bacon sarny.

Between the two of them not only would it be a different style of play but keep the players entertained during the half-time talk.

(By the way, it's a joke ok before anyone starts lol)

Jamma123

Post by Jamma123 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:24 pm

Dazzz67 wrote:Id like to see Zippy from Rainbow as manager, very under-rated, did a cracking job with Norwich under 12's, with Peppa Pig as coach, also makes a cracking bacon sarny.

Between the two of them not only would it be a different style of play but keep the players entertained during the half-time talk.

(By the way, it's a joke ok before anyone starts lol)
No, Roy Keane was a joke - this is quite a sensible suggestion by comparison!

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:37 pm

If Manchester United were to win their final four games of the season would they seriously consider giving Giggsy the job on a permanent basis or would this be too high a risk.

barmy billy

Post by barmy billy » Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:32 pm

Charnwood wrote:If Manchester United were to win their final four games of the season would they seriously consider giving Giggsy the job on a permanent basis or would this be too high a risk.
High risk? I think it would be utter madness.

To manage any reasonable football club, let alone one the size of Man Utd, more than youthful exuberance and a few months coaching is needed. An experienced head more than anything is what is required and Giggs certainly doesn't have that.

herforder

Post by herforder » Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:21 pm

Someone who the Glazers can trust to spend c.£200M wisely in the summer! Should be doddle :astroll:

Seriously, agree that LVG is probably the bunny most likely to be given the cheque book, and calm the nerves of the shareholders - where the power ultimately rests! Apparently he's not in awe of players' egos, insists on strict punctuality and, on one occasion, exposed his bits to players during what must have been an interesting team talk! Beats throwing tea cups or boots - go for it Glazers, sign him up :D

herforder

Post by herforder » Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:21 pm

Oops - apologies, double post! :blush:
Last edited by herforder on Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JayITFC

Post by JayITFC » Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:09 pm

I would have gone with Rene Muelensten. Knows the team and setup, loved at OT and an excellent coach. Maybe if Van Gall comes in he will be back as No.2, being dutch and all?

wilnisfan

Post by wilnisfan » Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:56 am

After suffering a gamble on Moyes they won't want another one with a leveraged debt hanging over their necks.

If Fergie gets his way then it would probably be one of his old mates, Curbishley haha, or Giggs with some of the ex back room staff that Moyes released

I would love to see a Giggs and Gary Neville combination. And for them to bring in an experienced exec that would make it a potential five horse race for the title next season. This season was the one for the taking and it looks like Liverpool. I can see Suarez leaving after a title and a World Cup, he a mercenary and will be looking for a big big final contract. ManU would be desperate enough to give him a 250k/week 6 year contract!

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:25 am

I see the odds on Ryan Giggs becoming United's next manager have already dropped from 14-1 to 7-2 following Saturday's comprehensive Premier League victory over Norwich.

He also has the influential support of Sir Alex Ferguson who reportedly told a charity lunch this week that United should give the job permanently to the player he signed as a 14-year-old schoolboy in 1987.

If Giggsy's team wins the next three matches 4-0, there could be a tidal wave of sentiment in his favour within Old Trafford.

It could become very interesting and the support for him yesterday was amazing.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:36 pm

If ManU win the rest of their games, it would be nice to see Giggsy given a chance. However, BB is probably right in that the owners will want a more experienced manager. There's been a lot of history being made in the prem this year: Liverpool's return to the top, ManU's demise. Sir Alex's retirement has certainly stirred the tea leaves. I'm looking forward to next season for both prem and championship!

number 9

Post by number 9 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:19 pm

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/footba ... urned.html
Why on earth would Van Gaal want Keane as his #2?

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:50 pm

number 9 wrote:http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/footba ... urned.html

I can't imagine for one minute whilst Ferguson is on a The Board he would ever allow Keane a managerial role at Old Trafford, neither can I imagine Louis Van Gaal would want him.

I'm assuming this is nothing more than rubbish press speculation.

Magicmark

Post by Magicmark » Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:37 pm

number 9 wrote:http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/footba ... urned.html
Remember he did have some managerial success at Scumberland..If only he had a 100m to spend at Ipswich,he could of been a legend here :wink: :lol:

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Thu May 01, 2014 4:37 am

I think Giggs could work as an interim measure but not sure about a full time capacity. Bryan Robson could be another name to explore - former crowd favorite, highly recognized ex-player with Manchester United, and he had some minor success with Middlesbrough and West Bromwich Albion so it's an area to explore - has years of managerial experience first and foremost while Giggs has essentially none to his name.

I did think for a while this season that United's dominance of the game could be coming to an end, in the same way Liverpool did at the end of the 1980s - such is the mess that Moyes was making - but now that said name has departed, whoever comes in on a permanent basis should get them back up and running and very soon return to how they were a year or two back, but time will tell.