Foxes chase McGoldrick

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

herforder

Re: Foxes chase McGoldrick

Post by herforder » Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:41 pm

Palace now speaking with Leicester regarding Chris Woods; however, Pearson will want to bring a striker in before agreeing any deal. Nick Powell at LCFC to finalise loan deal from MUFC. Pity about the latter, but Williams might still be a go-er. Jonathon Parr might persuade him!

The Don
Forum Hall of Famer

Post by The Don » Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:10 pm

The current Ipswich line on this deal happening is put your fee up or p*ss off.

Nice.

herforder

Post by herforder » Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:10 pm

Latest from LCFC, via Sky, is that the club has now ceased all interest in McG. ITFC 's
valuation not met - same to apply to any other potential bidders. Nice one - though not sure how Didsy will feel about it!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:17 pm

I am sure McGoldrick will be fine with it, sitting on the bench at Leicester wouldnt appeal to him surely.

Lets hope Jonathon Parr can influence Williams to come here should he become available.

herforder

Post by herforder » Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:26 pm

bluemike wrote:I am sure McGoldrick will be fine with it, sitting on the bench at Leicester wouldnt appeal to him surely.

Lets hope Jonathon Parr can influence Williams to come here should he become available.
Not sure that McG wouldn't have been happy to be part of a PL squad, and effectively fight for a regular starting berth. Other domestic, as well as financial, incentives would probably have had a strong influence. Still time, of course, for other bids; but well done to ME for standing firm (so far!).

Naturally Yes to Wiliams, if it can be done.
Last edited by herforder on Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:27 pm

McGoldrick won't be too concerned cos he'll get himself far better personal terms in 12 months time when he's out of contract. We win too cos he'll have to keep his game at the highest level to keep himself attractive to Premiership Clubs albeit those at the lower level.

Who knows, if we can get ourselves a Jonny Wiiliams type player plus perhaps another striker on loan perhaps we could still be up there ourselves come the end of the season. I certainly haven't given up hope yet.

Keep the faith.

Andym

Post by Andym » Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:06 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Who knows, if we can get ourselves a Jonny Wiiliams type player plus perhaps another striker on loan perhaps we could still be up there ourselves come the end of the season. I certainly haven't given up hope yet.

Keep the faith.
I admire your optimism!

BLUEBLOOD

Post by BLUEBLOOD » Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:10 pm

Who knows what will happen come the January Transfer window.
We need to get Didsy to sign a new deal before then so if a prem club who are in trouble will sign a very good striker in the championship for 8M+ to save themselves.

Andym

Post by Andym » Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:12 pm

I don't want to p*ss on anyone's chips but the transfer window hasn't shut yet. I hope and think that McGoldrick isn't leaving, but it's by no means assured yet.

rossi

Post by rossi » Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:16 pm

BLUEBLOOD wrote:Who knows what will happen come the January Transfer window.
We need to get Didsy to sign a new deal before then so if a prem club who are in trouble will sign a very good striker in the championship for 8M+ to save themselves.
Oh come on!! He's an average striker at best - there's no way he's worth 8m and it seems that premiership managers agree with this. Think ME has slipped up here - 5.5m for McGoldrick, I'd have bitten Leicester's hand off especially as we got him for nothing.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:19 pm

Andym wrote:I don't want to p*ss on anyone's chips but the transfer window hasn't shut yet. I hope and think that McGoldrick isn't leaving, but it's by no means assured yet.

Well I'm pretty sure he's not coming to Leicester and I can't imagine there's a long queue of clubs fighting for his signature.

Maybe I'm wrong but I just don't see him being good for the majority of clubs in the Premier League and was amazed even at Leicester's interest.

Andym

Post by Andym » Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:28 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Andym wrote:I don't want to p*ss on anyone's chips but the transfer window hasn't shut yet. I hope and think that McGoldrick isn't leaving, but it's by no means assured yet.

Well I'm pretty sure he's not coming to Leicester and I can't imagine there's a long queue of clubs fighting for his signature.

Maybe I'm wrong but I just don't see him being good for the majority of clubs in the Premier League and was amazed even at Leicester's interest.
I agree - he has a good first touch, shields the ball well and has a decent shot. But he lacks pace and isn't (in my opinion) a premiership striker. I just think it's a few hours early to assume he's staying.

I might add I also thought that Walters would never make it in the prem as his first touch was so poor - I was wrong there....

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:32 pm

rossi wrote:Oh come on!! He's an average striker at best - there's no way he's worth 8m and it seems that premiership managers agree with this. Think ME has slipped up here - 5.5m for McGoldrick, I'd have bitten Leicester's hand off especially as we got him for nothing.
I definitely agree with this, think there may have been a mistake here, as much as I like watching him play, if he doesn't sign a new deal, then that is £5m+ missed out on. He's the best we've had for a long long time, but that really isn't a compliment. I don't see why he'd sign a new deal when he knows prem clubs are interested and he might even spend half the season here crocked. I'd have probably taken Chris Wood in a straight swap.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:14 pm

Ricco wrote:
rossi wrote:Oh come on!! He's an average striker at best - there's no way he's worth 8m and it seems that premiership managers agree with this. Think ME has slipped up here - 5.5m for McGoldrick, I'd have bitten Leicester's hand off especially as we got him for nothing.
I definitely agree with this, think there may have been a mistake here, as much as I like watching him play, if he doesn't sign a new deal, then that is £5m+ missed out on. He's the best we've had for a long long time, but that really isn't a compliment. I don't see why he'd sign a new deal when he knows prem clubs are interested and he might even spend half the season here crocked. I'd have probably taken Chris Wood in a straight swap.

I must admit I'm surprised Mr Evans hasn't taken the money, and yes I would really like to have seen Chris Wood at Portman Road, and a straight swap probably wouldn't have been a bad deal. Having said that, as we weren't the chasing club the deal really had to be in our favour not Leicester's, and given Pearsons desperation to see the back of Chris Wood we could and should have done well out of it. Of course all this assumes that Chris Wood would have been happy moving to Ipswich.

With all these if buts and maybe's to sort out, it amazes me that so many clubs leave so much to do on the final day of the transfer window.

herforder

Post by herforder » Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:52 pm

Andym wrote:
Charnwood wrote:

I agree - he has a good first touch, shields the ball well and has a decent shot. But he lacks pace and isn't (in my opinion) a premiership striker. I just think it's a few hours early to assume he's staying.

I might add I also thought that Walters would never make it in the prem as his first touch was so poor - I was wrong there....
Or Damien Delaney as PL defender!

lucy

Post by lucy » Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:01 pm

Great news he's not going. Let's hope it don't unsettle him too much.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:40 pm

Although I would have bitten Leicester's hand off for anything from 6.5 - 8 million for McGoldrick I think it is hats off to Marcus Evans for being the first person in the history of ITFC not to just give a player away for a pittance, something we have done throughout our history.

supershred

Post by supershred » Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:10 pm

May be slightly off topic, but I am equally delighted that a reported 2.5m bid for the Minger was also turned down. He may not be the same as Cressy, but by the end of the season i believe he could be a better player in many ways. Some of his defending against the Norwich was stunning.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:12 pm

I really dont believe a bid was ever made. The young LB from Spurs has been at Palace all day sorting out a move. I think this one is nothing more than papertalk.

Andym

Post by Andym » Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:05 pm

supershred wrote:May be slightly off topic, but I am equally delighted that a reported 2.5m bid for the Minger was also turned down. He may not be the same as Cressy, but by the end of the season i believe he could be a better player in many ways. Some of his defending against the Norwich was stunning.
I thought he was bloody good against Nodge too.

Andym

Post by Andym » Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:10 pm

Press are there at PR with camera crew, so I guess something must be happening

herforder

Post by herforder » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:06 pm

Andym wrote:Press are there at PR with camera crew, so I guess something must be happening
Smith or Berra, if not McG? Probably not covering the Under-21s!