The FA Cup

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

herforder

Re: The FA Cup

Post by herforder » Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:01 pm

JET to knock Wet Spam out? Now there's a shock! :wink:

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:14 pm

Arsenal were coasting and looking in complete control. What a difference a goal makes, all of a sudden Brighton are back in this game.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:51 pm

LVG is an arrogant tw*t, but he has the credentials unlike Moyes. I think what we're seeing with ManU is that Moyes probably became the scapegoat for Fergie's lack of future planning. As far as the FA Cup is concerned, is it fair to say the gap is closing for competitiveness in league football? We have MM to prove that big money doesn't guarantee success. Maybe the managers are getting better at actually managing their resources instead of waiting for a bail out.

lucy

Post by lucy » Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:27 am

Been a weekend of shocks that's for sure.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:27 am

Shed on tour wrote:For me Chelski not taking it seriously is a load of bollocks!

They took it serious enough to go 2-0 up. Yes they rotated their squad a bit for the game but even the starting line up wasn't bad and in the last 20 minutes they had the big guns on the pitch. To come from 2 down at Stamford Bridge and win is a tremendous achievement for any side.

IMO saying it was a just a case of them not taking it seriously is being disrespectful to Bradford. Feck me if we had done what they did yesterday many on here would have been going on about it forever.

Just watched the Chelsea v Bradford highlights and have to agree 100% with those who believe that Chelsea played this game seriously. This is what the FA Cup is all about and it certainly wasn't a fluke result. Great to see an ex Town player making a significant contribution and I'll be amazed if Jon Stead wasn't Man of the Match?

Having seen the way all the other results went Chelsea will really be kicking themselves that they got turned over, as will Man City.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:54 am

20 quid going on Rochdale to beat Stoke.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:45 am

With Chelsea & Manchester City out of the way I suspect the remaining Premiership clubs will up their interest in this competition as their chances of lifting a trophy increases.

Manchester, Liverpool, Chelsea & Arsenal have dominated this competition for the past 25 years, and with three of these clubs still in this evenings 5th Round draw may well do so again this season, but, if the draw is unkind to them we could see an increased opportunity for one of the fringe Prem clubs and for this reason I suspect Stoke will up their game tonight, so keep your £20 in your pocket Marko.

That said, with a kind draw West Ham could have their best chance of adding a 4th FA Cup win to their honours list and will probably be installed as third favourites if they can avoid the big guns in tonight's draw.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:23 am

Charnwood wrote:With Chelsea & Manchester City out of the way I suspect the remaining Premiership clubs will up their interest in this competition as their chances of lifting a trophy increases.

Manchester, Liverpool, Chelsea & Arsenal have dominated this competition for the past 25 years, and with three of these clubs still in this evenings 5th Round draw may well do so again this season, but, if the draw is unkind to them we could see an increased opportunity for one of the fringe Prem clubs and for this reason I suspect Stoke will up their game tonight, so keep your £20 in your pocket Marko.

That said, with a kind draw West Ham could have their best chance of adding a 4th FA Cup win to their honours list and will probably be installed as third favourites if they can avoid the big guns in tonight's draw.
That's actually quite a good way to look at it, Charnwood. You've put me off placing that bet now. But if Rochdale win, there better be a pint and a bag of pork scratchings in it for me when we meet, some sunny day!

herforder

Post by herforder » Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:23 am

Interesting that yesterday's encounters were all decided by the odd goal; Bristol City more than holding their own against a Wet Spam side who were most definitely up for the fight; whilst Brighton (looking like a transformed side) and Bournemouth's games were won on fine margins.

Saturday's 'shocks' just confirm what FA Cup history is all about. Whilst the competition exists, then long may the Bradford's continue to have their day.

(BBC did an interview with Sir Trevor Brooking, including clips from Wet Spam's 1975 Cup Final. Still not recovered from their semi-final replay against us at Stamford Bridge, where one Mr Clive Thomas ensured their progress to the final!). But, hey, no point in holding ancient grudges. It's only the FA Cup! :wink:

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:03 am

Yeah big contrast between LVG & Mourinho's behaviour after the Bradford win, to go into the away changing room and congratulate each player personally. Respect.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:08 am

herforder wrote:Interesting that yesterday's encounters were all decided by the odd goal; Bristol City more than holding their own against a Wet Spam side who were most definitely up for the fight; whilst Brighton (looking like a transformed side) and Bournemouth's games were won on fine margins.

Saturday's 'shocks' just confirm what FA Cup history is all about. Whilst the competition exists, then long may the Bradford's continue to have their day.

(BBC did an interview with Sir Trevor Brooking, including clips from Wet Spam's 1975 Cup Final. Still not recovered from their semi-final replay against us at Stamford Bridge, where one Mr Clive Thomas ensured their progress to the final!). But, hey, no point in holding ancient grudges. It's only the FA Cup! :wink:
Saw that and said the same thing.

Must admit that is probably the most gutted I've ever felt after watching a Town match. The coach back home from Stamford Bridge seemed like the journey from hell that night. Worse still was going into work the next morning and one of the girls whistling I'm forever blowing bubbles as I entered the office.

Never ever forgiven her for that, even after being married to her for nearly 35 years. :wink:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:13 am

Guilty of opening ones mouth and letting ones belly rumble on many occasions as many know, but usually in a joking sense.

But I am man enough to admit that I did kind of "open my mouth and let my belly rumble" with regards to the Bradford City game. Was working Saturday and my comments were based purely on the result. Having now witnessed some highlights, saw the quality of the goals and heard about Mourinho courteous in defeat antics, I now say "Well done to Bradford City on an excellent and memorable FA Cup win."

Don't know about anyone else, but I'll keeping an eye on Bradford City for the remainder of the season. I expect to see Maneesh & Claridge emptying their sacs over future Bradford City performances in League One.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:14 am

Shed on tour wrote:
herforder wrote:Interesting that yesterday's encounters were all decided by the odd goal; Bristol City more than holding their own against a Wet Spam side who were most definitely up for the fight; whilst Brighton (looking like a transformed side) and Bournemouth's games were won on fine margins.

Must admit that is probably the most gutted I've ever felt after watching a Town match. The coach back home from Stamford Bridge seemed like the journey from hell that night. Worse still was going into work the next morning and one of the girls whistling I'm forever blowing bubbles as I entered the office.

Never ever forgiven her for that, even after being married to her for nearly 35 years. :wink:
HA! That is superb! :lol:

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:53 pm

Dubai Blue wrote:Yeah big contrast between LVG & Mourinho's behaviour after the Bradford win, to go into the away changing room and congratulate each player personally. Respect.

.. and that's exactly why so many people enjoy Mourinho's personality which is so refreshing when it comes to the Premier League. I bet Manchester United wish they'd had him on their shopping list when they were searching for Sir Alex's replacement.

I don't easily dislike people but that LVG really does really push liking someone to the limits.

Aresehole comes to mind.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:56 pm

Talking of arseholes, Mr Clive Thomas was definitely another of the highest order.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:03 pm

I think you guys are looking way too deeply into this. The problem with LVG is he looks like a munchkin from the Wizard of Oz, and he doesn't like it.

herforder

Post by herforder » Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:25 pm

Shed on tour wrote:

PMSL at that! :)

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:14 pm

marko69 wrote:Guilty of opening ones mouth and letting ones belly rumble on many occasions as many know, but usually in a joking sense.

But I am man enough to admit that I did kind of "open my mouth and let my belly rumble" with regards to the Bradford City game. Was working Saturday and my comments were based purely on the result. Having now witnessed some highlights, saw the quality of the goals and heard about Mourinho courteous in defeat antics, I now say "Well done to Bradford City on an excellent and memorable FA Cup win."

Don't know about anyone else, but I'll keeping an eye on Bradford City for the remainder of the season. I expect to see Maneesh & Claridge emptying their sacs over future Bradford City performances in League One.
I'm sure your'e a bloody Brechin fan.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:41 pm

I do find their hedge amusing, but no..... No Brechin fans here.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:46 pm

Marko, the Loons are back in pole position, they couldnt could they ???

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:40 pm

marko69 wrote:
Charnwood wrote:With Chelsea & Manchester City out of the way I suspect the remaining Premiership clubs will up their interest in this competition as their chances of lifting a trophy increases.

That's actually quite a good way to look at it, Charnwood. You've put me off placing that bet now. But if Rochdale win, there better be a pint and a bag of pork scratchings in it for me when we meet, some sunny day!

A tenner in the post will do nicely Marko thank you.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:49 am

Charnwood wrote:Talking of arseholes, Mr Clive Thomas was definitely another of the highest order.
Is that the same pr*ck who disallowed a perfectly good goal in the 1977 semi-final when Everton should have beaten Liverpool - hasn't even apologized in the time since - and blew for full time during a World Cup game a year later when Brazil had scored from a set piece. (Can't recall the opposition, possibly Sweden) He was an as*.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:08 am

Charnwood wrote:
marko69 wrote:

A tenner in the post will do nicely Marko thank you.
Come on, it was close!