Busy Week Ahead

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Shed on tour

Busy Week Ahead

Post by Shed on tour » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:48 am

Wembley tonight, Juventus Stadium next Tuesday night and then if the Carabinieri decide to let us out of the stadium in time Portman Road next Friday for the big one.

Not sure if I'm just plain nuts or I really do love the beautiful game.

marko69
Global Moderator

Re: Busy Week Ahead

Post by marko69 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:07 am

Shed on tour wrote:Wembley tonight, Juventus Stadium next Tuesday night and then if the Carabinieri decide to let us out of the stadium in time Portman Road next Friday for the big one.

Held in the stadium by armed pasta dishes?

Seriously though, is it only England who get the "Military" police treatment?! :lol:

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:26 am

marko69 wrote:
Shed on tour wrote:Wembley tonight, Juventus Stadium next Tuesday night and then if the Carabinieri decide to let us out of the stadium in time Portman Road next Friday for the big one.

Held in the stadium by armed pasta dishes?

Seriously though, is it only England who get the "Military" police treatment?! :lol:
Marko

Not sure but if they want some baton practice I'm sure it will be done on us! :lol:

Mind you when we played Spain in Madrid their plod were quite handy at dishing it out. We have already been told we will be kept in for at least an hour after the game on Tuesday night (which probably means 2) but will be able to use the facilities (in other words if you need the bog you might be lucky to get to use it).

Booked hotel right next to ground but knowing my luck they will insist on us going back into the city centre afterwards and then will have to pay for a taxi back to hotel. :lol: :lol:

The Don
Forum Hall of Famer

Post by The Don » Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:18 pm

Shed, where are you sitting? I'm working there tonight so might pop by and say hi if it's feasible

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:19 pm

:lol: That would be an absolute ball breaker if that is the case, Shed. Hopefully you manage to get into the hotel without the taxi trip.

FFS, when Scotland play abroad, it's just one cop walking around, nudging all the pished and sleeping Scotsmen to "wake up" as the 2nd half is about to start!

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:30 pm

The Don wrote:Shed, where are you sitting? I'm working there tonight so might pop by and say hi if it's feasible
Don

Block 549, Row 7, Seat 298. (it's in the wheelchair section as daughter is a wheelchair user).

The Don
Forum Hall of Famer

Post by The Don » Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:35 pm

Ah you're up on level five? I'm not a fan of heights so probably won't get up there, but if I get the chance I'll come say hi.

Useless bit of info, but there are 33'000 seats on the top tier of wembley. Considering that's bigger than portman road, I'm always quite impressed

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:48 pm

The Don wrote:Ah you're up on level five? I'm not a fan of heights so probably won't get up there, but if I get the chance I'll come say hi.

Useless bit of info, but there are 33'000 seats on the top tier of wembley. Considering that's bigger than portman road, I'm always quite impressed
Yep we always book seats on level 5 as daughter prefers to be up high as her season ticket at Portman Road is in the Sir Alf Ramsey upper tier disabled section. The only good thing about England home games is we can all sit together as a family where as at away games my wife goes in with her and I have to go in the ordinary section.

If you come up to see us tonight you won't miss us as daughter has ITFC wheeltrims on her chair!

The Don
Forum Hall of Famer

Post by The Don » Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:24 pm

Sorry I didn't get a chance to come up there. Was busier than I expected.

Hope you and the family enjoyed the game though.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sun Mar 29, 2015 3:44 am

Why do the English get to play so many easy f**king games !

It's little wonder you're placed in the Top Ten of FIFA rankings so often when all you have to do is beat Macedonia, Liechtenstein, Albania, San Marino etc.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:10 am

saint jude wrote:Why do the English get to play so many easy f**king games !

It's little wonder you're placed in the Top Ten of FIFA rankings so often when all you have to do is beat Macedonia, Liechtenstein, Albania, San Marino etc.
Who knows perhaps they do it to pi$$ some people off which it appears they have managed to do!

Didn't think anybody took any notice of the FIFA rankings which often are a joke.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:18 am

The Don wrote:Sorry I didn't get a chance to come up there. Was busier than I expected.

Hope you and the family enjoyed the game though.
No problems Don.

Yep enjoyed the evening although not the wait getting off the car park afterwards. :lol:
It always seems to take nearly as long to get out of there as it does from Wembley to Clacton.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:58 pm

Shed on tour wrote:

Who knows perhaps they do it to pi$$ some people off which it appears they have managed to do!

Didn't think anybody took any notice of the FIFA rankings which often are a joke.
Scottish comedy sketch show from the 80's covered this very area. Jack Docherty (Hibs season ticket holder, so obviously has a sense of humour) was a sports presenter;

"And now for the World Cup qualifying tables. Scotland are in with Spain, Italy, West Germany and Holland. And in England's group it's, Luxembourg, Leictenstein, Lapland, Melchester Rovers, and ( shouts) ME & MY FKING MUM!"

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:38 pm

:lol:
marko69 wrote:
Shed on tour wrote:

Scottish comedy sketch show from the 80's covered this very area. Jack Docherty (Hibs season ticket holder, so obviously has a sense of humour) was a sports presenter;

"And now for the World Cup qualifying tables. Scotland are in with Spain, Italy, West Germany and Holland. And in England's group it's, Luxembourg, Leictenstein, Lapland, Melchester Rovers, and ( shouts) ME & MY FKING MUM!"
:lol: :lol:

Right I'm out of here as leaving for airport hotel in next half hour.

If Sleezy Jet play ball should be home early hours of Friday morning and then off to Portman Road in the afternoon for the big game.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:46 pm

Enjoy the week, shed. Remember and don't pi$$ off all the inspector Montelbanos over there! :D

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:41 pm

Judging by England's performance at the World Cup, I'd say they're probably in the right league haha. Seriously though, isn't Harry Kane a breath of fresh air? Could England be at the cusp of a Quickening?...I hope so, it's about bloody time!

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 5:32 pm

A "Quickening".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quickening_(Highlander)

Not more beheadings, 9?

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:53 pm

number 9 wrote:

Judging by England's performance at the World Cup, I'd say they're probably in the right league haha. Seriously though, isn't Harry Kane a breath of fresh air? Could England be at the cusp of a Quickening?...I hope so, it's about bloody time!
You're American also I believe so not really the right response direction, but on the English team (and one last mention) it's fair to say once again they haven't had an actual side to really challenge for a championship since around 1970. Yes they got to a semi-final in 1990 but only by beating Egypt by one goal, a draw with the Irish and then a last second win over Belgium and of course you got the Cameroon game when the Africans so easily could have won on the day. Everyone talks about and highlights the game in Turin with Germany but conveniently forget all that came before it. Yes they probably would have beat Argentina (a shadow of '86) in the final game but would have been one of the least deserving champions with it.

Then you got Euro 96 where a similar pattern emerged with a huge response to a German semi-final but once again the route to it was hardly inspiring. Held by Switzerland, Scotland could so easily have taken a draw, and Spain were more deserving of progression in the last eight.

Best team you had was arguably between 1962 -70 where players like Hunt, Charlton, Alan Ball, Jimmy Greaves etc came to the stage and really in retrospect, should have appeared in the final again in 1970 but regular 'keeper Banks went down with (suspicious) food poisoning and Ramsey made some bizarre changes to his team on the day of the infamous last eight exit to West Germany. The aforementioned Greaves was still able to play and remained productive, but Ramsey never selected him for the tournament, (so he took himself on a driving rally of South America instead)

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:40 pm

I didn't realise you were American, 9, ......., I thought you were Ipswich born and emigrated to the USA. I don't know why I think that...... Probably mixed up with another forum member.

Regards 96; After McAllisters duff penalty, (one of the worst spot kicks ever) and then a piece of pure genius from Gazza...... There was never gonnae be any draw at Wembley that day.

larrylamb
Location: Poole (dorset) with work !!! most of the time or Ipswich at Home..!!

Post by larrylamb » Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:57 pm

They can only play who they get in their group from the draw , can not really blame England for that.. and the friendly is up against Italy so hardly cannon fodder..(they would run at any mention of a cannon though.!!) :mrgreen:

number 9

Post by number 9 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:24 am

marko69 wrote:I didn't realise you were American, 9, ......., I thought you were Ipswich born and emigrated to the USA. I don't know why I think that...... Probably mixed up with another forum member.

Regards 96; After McAllisters duff penalty, (one of the worst spot kicks ever) and then a piece of pure genius from Gazza...... There was never gonnae be any draw at Wembley that day.
I was born in the USA, but moved to Bramford when I was just a tyke. Left UK permanently at 16 and due to my English mum, I have dual citizenship. So to answer your question Marko, I'm a bit of a mongrel. Further, I still remember going to Portman Road at the grand ole age of 8. And for Jude not to mention Michael Owen's runaway goal against Brazil is sacrilegious. American by birth, English by heart.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:02 am

I must admit I do tend to agree with SJ here, we English always seem to get a dead easy qualifying group in every tournament we play, I also find that the first half decent team we come against in any finals see's us making a swift return home again.