THE EUROS

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Andym

Re: THE EUROS

Post by Andym » Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:46 pm

TODD66 wrote:There was a particularly effective bus parked in front of goal last night. You would have reasonably expected one of the efforts to go in, but there was always a white shirt or the keeper in the way.

I suspect it will become slightly easier to score going forward as matches have to be won.

Lets rejoice in the fact that we have actually got out of a group at a major tournament and see where it takes us. Its possibly an age thing, but I have come to expect nothing so can watch England now without too much trauma (a semi would change that) and just go with the flow.

Here's hoping that the stress levels get ramped up for a change!
I agree. Maybe the teams kin our group were nothing special, but all 3 just wanted to defend and were outplayed. Apart from the first half against Wales, when we were very slow and lacked width, I thought we played well. It is a bit strange that it is generally thought that our weakness is in defence, yet none of the opposing sides showed the slightest interest in testing it.

We effectively move now from the league to the cup; games must be won rather than drawn so as you say, Todd, the nature of the tournament will change. I'm not sure how well we'll do, but overall I have enjoyed the England performances. If we'd have snatched a 1 - 0 win last night, or hung on the 1 - 0 against Russia, I think everyone wold be happy. But to me performances are more important than results. I've seen some boring victories in my time but the 2 draws in the group stage showed some good football. Lots of possession, lots to admire. If we had been fortunate enough to get an early goal last night it would have been a different game.

herforder

Post by herforder » Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:59 pm

Well done NI, and Croatia. Spain v Italy will be a very tasty encounter, with one of the big hitters eliminated. Germany, inevitably, plough on!

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:09 pm

herforder wrote:Spain v Italy will be a very tastyencounter
Plate of hot chilli nachos v spicy beef lasagne?

herforder

Post by herforder » Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:07 am

marko69 wrote:
herforder wrote:Spain v Italy will be a very tastyencounter
Plate of hot chilli nachos v spicy beef lasagne?
Some like it HOT! :D

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:08 pm

What a goal by Ronaldo!!!

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:24 pm

You picked the right game to go see, Shed. Can't take yer eyes off this.

Dipshit-skin doesn't seem to be playing,......, he may be at the pie stall......, get his scribble for me there, buddy! :D

herforder

Post by herforder » Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:28 pm

Murph starting for Ireland - had a good header well saved. Playing well partnering Long; but a big ask for the boys in Green & White.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:12 pm

England v Iceland.

Iceland are a decent side......, but for you guys, you'd better beat them or you'll be laughed at by the other nations.

But as more and more people keeping saying it, (or using it), they'll "park the bus". England could've still been playing Slovakia now and they'd still not have scored. Hopefully Roy is busy watching Iceland on TV, (no, not Bjork DVDs) and working out strategies on how to break them open, direct or by set-piece.

And penalty deciders these days?? Well anyone could win them......, I predict many balls flying over the bar when these commence.

herforder

Post by herforder » Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:01 pm

Fantastic, fully deserved, win by ROI. Hoolhan from panel-beater (misses golden chance), to world beater with best cross of the game for Brady to score the winner. Such results making this comp a few notches above boring! Bring on France!

As for England v Iceland - it was almost Portugal, and you know who! No room for complacency, but would expect a win. No ifs or buts!

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:05 am

marko69 wrote:You picked the right game to go see, Shed. Can't take yer eyes off this.

Dipshit-skin doesn't seem to be playing,......, he may be at the pie stall......, get his scribble for me there, buddy! :D
Fantastic game and a great stadium as well.

Tried to get Dipshit-skin's scribble but he moved too quick for me! :lol: :lol:

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:57 am

Caught the last quarter of the Italy game and that was one damn fine score. Maybe not as memorable as New York '94 but nonetheless a result of great merit. Not often you have a good word to say about a Norwich City playing individual but Hoolahan played a pivotal part in the eventual goal and redeemed himself for that missed opportunity earlier before.

With the latter, believed that was it and chance gone, but you never can tell what will occur. Great result for the nation and up there with the aforementioned win in 1994 and beating England '88 and Romania two years after. Face off with France in the next round of games but as Greece showed 12 years back all things are possible.

All "home" nations through to the elimination stages, something which must have been near astronomical odds before start of competition. English have themselves a fortunate game with Iceland but as there have already been a surplus of surprises, we live in hope.

Still want Spain to win the damn competition. I realize an Irish win is between slim and non-existent, got no favoritism towards other competitors but will offer unambiguous applause to whoever puts the English out at first attempt. Just a candid disclosure, no offense.

herforder

Post by herforder » Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:08 am

Shed on tour wrote:
marko69 wrote:You picked the right game to go see, Shed. Can't take yer eyes off this.

Fantastic game and a great stadium as well.

Tried to get Dipshit-skin's scribble but he moved too quick for me! :lol: :lol:
First time for everything! :D

herforder

Post by herforder » Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:10 am

saint jude wrote:Caught the last quarter of the Italy game and that was one damn fine score. Maybe not as memorable as New York '94 but nonetheless a result of great merit. Not often you have a good word to say about a Norwich City playing individual but Hoolahan played a pivotal part in the eventual goal and redeemed himself for that missed opportunity earlier before.

With the latter, believed that was it and chance gone, but you never can tell what will occur. Great result for the nation and up there with the aforementioned win in 1994 and beating England '88 and Romania two years after. Face off with France in the next round of games but as Greece showed 12 years back all things are possible.

All "home" nations through to the elimination stages, something which must have been near astronomical odds before start of competition. English have themselves a fortunate game with Iceland but as there have already been a surplus of surprises, we live in hope.

Still want Spain to win the damn competition. I realize an Irish win is between slim and non-existent, got no favoritism towards other competitors but will offer unambiguous applause to whoever puts the English out at first attempt. Just a candid disclosure, no offense.
No offenCe taken! :wink:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:59 am

Awesome humor there, Herford! :D

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:15 am

Say again the round of 16 format for the European Championships appears something of a first, cannot recall another instance of this in previous competition : but take this opportunity to evaluate remaining situation.

Teams in bold to progress

Switzerland / Poland

Croatia / Portugal

Wales / Northern Ireland

Hungary / Belgium

Germany / Slovakia

Italy / Spain

France / Republic of Ireland

English / Iceland

Round of eight

Poland / Croatia

Wales / Belgium

Germany / Spain

France / English

Semi-final stage

Croatia / Belgium

France / Germany

Final event

Belgium / Germany

The above (some will recall) occurred in 1980 when Germany overcame Belgium at the end game and providing judgment on the remaining nations, wouldn't expect much deviation from what was presented. Didn't include France to win as they're not mentality robust as some other sides left in and hard to see beyond the resolute Germans as eventual winners of tournament.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:38 am

Is this still a football thread?

herforder

Post by herforder » Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:10 am

marko69 wrote:Is this still a football thread?
They're coming to take me away, ha ha! :wink:

herforder

Post by herforder » Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:31 am

marko69 wrote:Is this still a football thread?
They're coming to take me away, ha ha! :wink:

barmy billy

Post by barmy billy » Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:08 pm

After the referendum, I hope our boys will get home ok.

The channel tunnel hes closed for good, ferries and airports are closing and Jerry forces are forming up on the Calais beaches. WWII fighter Aces have been put on standby at Biggin Hill and John Major has been caught giving Edwina Curry a grief shag.

I expect my call-up papers in the next few days.

We're doooomed I tell ye, doooomed.

Have a good weekend everyone.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:30 pm

barmy billy wrote:After the referendum, I hope our boys will get home ok.

The channel tunnel hes closed for good, ferries and airports are closing and Jerry forces are forming up on the Calais beaches. WWII fighter Aces have been put on standby at Biggin Hill and John Major has been caught giving Edwina Curry a grief shag.

I expect my call-up papers in the next few days.

We're doooomed I tell ye, doooomed.

Have a good weekend everyone.
Dunkirk all over again..... get those inflatable dinghies and Lilos out and paddle over to France again. Pick up our boys and girls now.... we will fight them on the beaches , but I think the sewage in the sea will get our enemies first.

Strange times.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:42 pm

The best thing they could IS close the Tunnel.

herforder

Post by herforder » Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:57 pm

hallamblue wrote:The best thing they could IS close the Tunnel.
Someone would have to organise another escape committee!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Jun 25, 2016 1:28 pm

hallamblue wrote:The best thing they could IS close the Tunnel.
After Thursdays events it may not be a bad idea.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Jun 25, 2016 2:20 pm

I'm still in slight shock by the referendum and couldn't give a monkeys arsehole about the remainder of this tournament.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:10 pm

marko69 wrote:I'm still in slight shock by the referendum and couldn't give a monkeys arsehole about the remainder of this tournament.
Same here Marko.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:13 pm

McAuley scores own goal to put Wales through!...poor b*stard!

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:32 pm

bluemike wrote:
marko69 wrote:I'm still in slight shock by the referendum and couldn't give a monkeys arsehole about the remainder of this tournament.
Same here Marko.
I'm with you boys, absolutely gutted.

How dim can the English public be.?

Get your Independence Marko and I'll move my English home to Scotland.... ( that's if you'll
have us of course)

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sun Jun 26, 2016 1:26 am

One of the teams predicted for eventual glory went by the wayside in the form of Croatia today but by all accounts the game was a replicant of any one of Town's games last season in that it was a largely lackluster encounter and would have disappointed a great many audience.

Got to give Wales plaudits at their continued progression but Belgium (as expected) may be as far they go in the next game up. They've always been recognized for their rugby endeavors and "football" comes a distant second, but they're having a fine tournament when few could have seen them even getting past group stage.

As I understand it all the English need do to take this year's honor is overcome France at their own tournament, then probably Spain or Germany in the last four, but some level of hope with a potential final game with say Belgium or Portugal. (Didn't include Iceland as the outcome appears academic, there's no way they can mess that up)

Damn competition will be over soon enough but we'll see what occurs in any event.

bluepeter

Post by bluepeter » Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:11 am

Good call on your 3 predictions.Croatia came within a NATS of scoring by hitting the woodwork and it took a Nani miss kick to create their goal a minute later....I don't rate him.
Great day watching the footie today.Praying an upset with the French or Krauts having an early bath (or both).
That nippy Welsh sub looked half decent!!!

TODD66
Posting Game Moderator

Post by TODD66 » Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:15 am

Never mind whistling the Dam Busters and thinking about beating the Germans down the line we need to be channelling the memory of Captain Pugwash and preparing ourselves for our modern day Cod War against the mighty Iceland!

Come on boys, England expects.