Derby County vs Ipswich Town Match Preview

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Can we bounce back with a win?

Derby County Win
53%
Ipswich Town Win
33%
Draw
13%

Total votes: 15

Mr.Punch

Re: Derby County vs Ipswich Town Match Preview

Post by Mr.Punch » Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:15 pm

i can see 4 or 5 nil here :(

Andym

Post by Andym » Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:24 pm

Leeds & Reading both winning, we're currently 20th.

phily bon bon

Post by phily bon bon » Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:03 pm

Jesus this is´nt sounding too good. :twisted:

James Scharmann

Post by James Scharmann » Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:11 pm

Chambers gone off injured for Mings?

Any idea what injury Chambers has got hopefully nothing serious?

Andym

Post by Andym » Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:11 pm

Berra!

larrylamb
Location: Poole (dorset) with work !!! most of the time or Ipswich at Home..!!

Post by larrylamb » Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:12 pm

Only above the bottom 3 now.!!!..and to think sounds like our best player and goal scorer is going...sounds ideal.!! :evil:

James Scharmann

Post by James Scharmann » Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:12 pm

BEEEEEEERA

3 GOALS NOW FOR THE DEFENDER

WOW 1-1

phily bon bon

Post by phily bon bon » Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:15 pm

Play him up front mick and take chambers back into the centre. :D

Magicmark

Post by Magicmark » Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:17 pm

James Scharmann wrote:BEEEEEEERA

3 GOALS NOW FOR THE DEFENDER

WOW 1-1
We obviously don`t need any strikers :lol:

James Scharmann

Post by James Scharmann » Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:55 pm

What a point 1-0 down early thought we wasn't gonna get anything :D

Mr.Punch

Post by Mr.Punch » Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:57 pm

important point before the international break.
well done town - now we just have to fret about mcgoldrick and smith!

phily bon bon

Post by phily bon bon » Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:57 pm

I,ll take that. A draw at a free scoring Derby side is ok.

J4ck22

Post by J4ck22 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:02 pm

Sounded like we played really well second half, definitely take that point though. Bishop and Bru had good games by the sound of it.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:18 pm

Flippin' great result ITFC, absolutely brilliant. Very happy with that point @ Derby. Very much looking forward to Bluemikes or MPB's reports.

But Alloa 2 Hibs 1....., EXCELLENT STUBBSY !!!

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:12 pm

Good result! How did Bishop and Bru do?

morph

Post by morph » Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:50 pm

number 9 wrote:Good result! How did Bishop and Bru do?
On the way back from the game, wow. Bishop looks a good player, very impressed with him. Bru was not that good to be honest. Solid enough, kind of, but not looking good enough at the moment. PARR was excellent. MOTM. We played much, much better today. Very happy. Over the moon, played so much better than of late, had a real go. Happy, happy happy.

Mr.Punch

Post by Mr.Punch » Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:13 pm

alex mathie etc on radio suffolk thought bru showed good quality and were equally impressed by bishop and parr.

this is what a derby fan thought -

Most of the side had a stinker in the second half, and we need to work out how a Mick McCarthy side played us off the park.

Thought Eustace was not the answer today, at all. He didn't give Buxton or Keogh enough of an outlet, meaning they had to play loads of risking balls to players with Ipswich players right on their backs. I would have like to see Mascarell there - he's always open for the pass. He plays a little too deep sometimes but that's what we needed in the second half, because we were way too flat in midfield.

Hendrick being injured was a blow. When the Mac talks about midfield balance being so key, there it was for us all to see...

The referee was TERRIBLE. Everything went their way, and every free-kick had to be taken on the exact blade of grass. It made the game bitty and that, combined with the injuries, played into Ipswich's hands.

Having said that, Ipswich surprised me and could have won it, but we still should have beaten these. This is the first result I'm really disappointed with this season.

morph

Post by morph » Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:18 pm

Mr.Punch wrote:alex mathie etc on radio suffolk thought bru showed good quality and were equally impressed by bishop and parr.

this is what a derby fan thought -

Most of the side had a stinker in the second half, and we need to work out how a Mick McCarthy side played us off the park.

Thought Eustace was not the answer today, at all. He didn't give Buxton or Keogh enough of an outlet, meaning they had to play loads of risking balls to players with Ipswich players right on their backs. I would have like to see Mascarell there - he's always open for the pass. He plays a little too deep sometimes but that's what we needed in the second half, because we were way too flat in midfield.

Hendrick being injured was a blow. When the Mac talks about midfield balance being so key, there it was for us all to see...

The referee was TERRIBLE. Everything went their way, and every free-kick had to be taken on the exact blade of grass. It made the game bitty and that, combined with the injuries, played into Ipswich's hands.

Having said that, Ipswich surprised me and could have won it, but we still should have beaten these. This is the first result I'm really disappointed with this season.

I'm sorry, but his lack of quality was shown up today, especially as the others upped their games today. I wouldn't say he was bad, just lacks that bit of quality that we really need.

Mach_Polish_Blue

Post by Mach_Polish_Blue » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:58 pm

Given what difficult week we've had, abject performances against Reading, Birmingham and Norwich + McGoldrick's news that was a kind of performance to lift Town fans' morale. Actually second half of todays game as the first one was a pure repeat of previous 3 games.

Yet another goal gifted to opposition. This time all started from a horrendous Hyam's mistake, really horrendous clearance. What a silly goal to have conceded.

We had no answers following that goal. A few corners that was a little hope for us but nothing else. Bishop was a shining part of our team but unfortunately there was a same old story in the shape of totally uninspiring midfield.
It was utterly unedifying. Backwards football with no ideas.

Tabb and Anderson offered no threat on the wings. Doom, gloom, despair and basically no hope.

Something must have happened in the dressing room as there was a change of approach from us from the first minute of 2nd half. And what a change fighting spirit makes. Derby must have thought all was over given how poor we were before interval.

Berra had scored but we never sat back. We kept going and going. Derby players seemed somewhat baffled as we caused problems particularly after Henshall came on. Prior to that Derby keeper Grant made an acrobatic save to tip the ball over the bar after Bishops shot from 20-odd yards. What a goal that would have been from the youngster.

Henshall co-operated really well with Mings and Anderson with Parr on the other side. Anderson when told to attack is a danger for opposite full-backs. What was also astonishing we didn't spend a time to hoof the ball to anyone and anywhere. We did tend to keep on the deck much more than it was in the previous games.

Believe it or not but we could have won a game as we carried a threat. With a more quality in our midfield I'm sure that would have been the case but we can't be too critical. The players gave a lot to lift fans.

Derby threatened a bit more towards end of the game. Two or three corners. One of them ended with excellent clearance from Nouble.

As I've said a couple of weeks ago we'll have a mix of good and bad days. That was a decent one but let's not fool ourselves. Without new arrivals we have no chance of challenging top 6 position.

A few personal thoughts. Some members may not like it but we're all entitled to our opinions.

Bishop and Parr - my MOTM.

Give me Teddy Bishop over Skuse anytime. Bishops desire, hunger, chasing every ball was really, really impressive. Yes very lightweight a la Lee Martin but he played with a passion. What a difference in comparison to strolling, ineffective Skuse.
Isn't it coincidence that with Skuse out of the team we produce better displays? Take for example away win at Brighton last season followed by home win against Derby. Two of the best performances of the season and next we played injury-hit Nottingham. Skuse back in the team and we couldn't beat Nottingham reserves.
Today he didn't play and I wonder if any Town missed his 'presence'.

In Parr we have a decent flexible full-back. Very good game today.

A few other players worth mentioning:

Henshall - gave us much needed pace and troubled Christie ever since he came on the pitch.
Anderson - threat for Derby left-back in the 2nd half
Bru - what was nice that he wasn't particularly interested in playing backwards. Absorbed their defence though it's clear to see he needs a time to adapt.
Murphy - did he win any header? I'd say it wasn't his day yet again. Poor ever since Fulham game.
Mings - good work with Henshall but it's time for him to stop dribbling as he has no skills to get past opponent.
Tabb - very poor in the first half like most of the team. Did far better when moved into the middle following Henshall introduction.

Also what I could mention is a chat I had with a Rotherham fan on the train back to Manchester (following change at Sheffield). Though I was content with the departures of Taylor and Wordsworth I need to say what he said to me of them. Despite their poor performance against Brentford today Taylor was still their MOTM whereas Wordsworth was terrible and I was asked if we can take him back ;)

General conclusion is if we play football and try to play with invention we're a threat for opponents. We troubled Derby side in the 2nd half, the side who are widely tipped for promotion. It's been said tens of times that couple of attacking minded midfielders would make a hell of difference. In Henshall and Anderson (when he's told to go forward) we are a threat for opposition full-backs.

Good day out and very encouraging 2nd half.

morph

Post by morph » Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:08 pm

Mach_Polish_Blue wrote:Given what difficult week we've had, abject performances against Reading, Birmingham and Norwich + McGoldrick's news that was a kind of performance to lift Town fans' morale. Actually second half of todays game as the first one was a pure repeat of previous 3 games.

Yet another goal gifted to opposition. This time all started from a horrendous Hyam's mistake, really horrendous clearance. What a silly goal to have conceded.

We had no answers following that goal. A few corners that was a little hope for us but nothing else. Bishop was a shining part of our team but unfortunately there was a same old story in the shape of totally uninspiring midfield.
It was utterly unedifying. Backwards football with no ideas.

Tabb and Anderson offered no threat on the wings. Doom, gloom, despair and basically no hope.

Something must have happened in the dressing room as there was a change of approach from us from the first minute of 2nd half. And what a change fighting spirit makes. Derby must have thought all was over given how poor we were before interval.

Berra had scored but we never sat back. We kept going and going. Derby players seemed somewhat baffled as we caused problems particularly after Henshall came on. Prior to that Derby keeper Grant made an acrobatic save to tip the ball over the bar after Bishops shot from 20-odd yards. What a goal that would have been from the youngster.

Henshall co-operated really well with Mings and Anderson with Parr on the other side. Anderson when told to attack is a danger for opposite full-backs. What was also astonishing we didn't spend a time to hoof the ball to anyone and anywhere. We did tend to keep on the deck much more than it was in the previous games.

Believe it or not but we could have won a game as we carried a threat. With a more quality in our midfield I'm sure that would have been the case but we can't be too critical. The players gave a lot to lift fans.

Derby threatened a bit more towards end of the game. Two or three corners. One of them ended with excellent clearance from Nouble.

As I've said a couple of weeks ago we'll have a mix of good and bad days. That was a decent one but let's not fool ourselves. Without new arrivals we have no chance of challenging top 6 position.

A few personal thoughts. Some members may not like it but we're all entitled to our opinions.

Bishop and Parr - my MOTM.

Give me Teddy Bishop over Skuse anytime. Bishops desire, hunger, chasing every ball was really, really impressive. Yes very lightweight a la Lee Martin but he played with a passion. What a difference in comparison to strolling, ineffective Skuse.
Isn't it coincidence that with Skuse out of the team we produce better displays? Take for example away win at Brighton last season followed by home win against Derby. Two of the best performances of the season and next we played injury-hit Nottingham. Skuse back in the team and we couldn't beat Nottingham reserves.
Today he didn't play and I wonder if any Town missed his 'presence'.

In Parr we have a decent flexible full-back. Very good game today.

A few other players worth mentioning:

Henshall - gave us much needed pace and troubled Christie ever since he came on the pitch.
Anderson - threat for Derby left-back in the 2nd half
Bru - what was nice that he wasn't particularly interested in playing backwards. Absorbed their defence though it's clear to see he needs a time to adapt.
Murphy - did he win any header? I'd say it wasn't his day yet again. Poor ever since Fulham game.
Mings - good work with Henshall but it's time for him to stop dribbling as he has no skills to get past opponent.
Tabb - very poor in the first half like most of the team. Did far better when moved into the middle following Henshall introduction.

Also what I could mention is a chat I had with a Rotherham fan on the train back to Manchester (following change at Sheffield). Though I was content with the departures of Taylor and Wordsworth I need to say what he said to me of them. Despite their poor performance against Brentford today Taylor was still their MOTM whereas Wordsworth was terrible and I was asked if we can take him back ;)

General conclusion is if we play football and try to play with invention we're a threat for opponents. We troubled Derby side in the 2nd half, the side who are widely tipped for promotion. It's been said tens of times that couple of attacking minded midfielders would make a hell of difference. In Henshall and Anderson (when he's told to go forward) we are a threat for opposition full-backs.

Good day out and very encouraging 2nd half.
Now that is how to write a report. I think I said pretty much the same, just not as well. :lol:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:19 pm

That was indeed the proverbial game of Two halves, totally abject first half where we offered absolutely nothing and a much improved second half where we were without question the better side and had two very good chances to have won the game, yes derby had a couple too but the chances for Anderson and Hyam were very good chances.

I cant believe that yet again we lose points from a stupid mistake which gifted Derby their goal, once again without our help the opposition fail to score. Quite what Hyam was doing is anybodies guess but his defending was woeful, as was the defending of the other two Town players who stood and watched Derby score.

The second half was a totally different story. Town actually played some decent stuff and took the game the the home side, it is no coincidence we stopped hoofing it and played the ball on the grass for a change. the introduction of Mings and Henshall made a massive difference, we were looking far more dangerous. Step forward Berra yet again with a header from a good delivery by Anderson. Town were very much on top at this point and looked to be the team more likely to win it. First Anderson had a glorious chance following one of our best moves of the match but he couldnt make the finish, then as the game was drawing to a close Hyam burst in to the box and shot weakly at the keeper from a great poisition. Gerken had also made Two good saves in between our chances.

Most will say a draw was about right but the way we turned ourselves around after the break could also have deserved the win. derby are no mugs but we more than matched them second half and it was them giving awal soft possession while we worked the ball well.

I have to say I was very impressed indeed with young Teddy Bishop and Alex Henshall, both had really good games and can be pleased with their efforts, it augers well for the future. Kevin Bru showeld flashes of quality too and looks a hopeful prospect, he was out on his feet come the final whistle. I thought Jay Tabb looked far better in Central midfield when we swithced it around, while Berra was solid at both ends of the pitch again. Jonathon Parr also looked very assured at RB too. I love the way Henshall runs at defenders, he definitley has the ability to beat his man and get in good crosses, I thought Henshall and Mings linked up really well down the left. These kids will make mistakes but we are blooding them with a view to the future and that is good. Daryl Murphy is clearly not on his game right now but hopefully that will return soon.

All in all it was a great day out although at half time it wasnt looking that way. It isnt the disaster some would have us believe and with two home games coming up we have a great chance to get some more points on the board and the whole thing wouild look so different, we have had a very tough first month but that has gone now and it is all very tight still.

Mr.Punch

Post by Mr.Punch » Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:40 pm

thanks for the report - i'm encouraged

bluejacko

Post by bluejacko » Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:14 pm

Thanks for the reports guys,out of curiosity i went on to the derby fans forum and seemingly we play like thugs! And the ref gave us everything. But hay ho a point is a point.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:25 pm

We didnt play like thugs at all, they were going down if we so much as looked at them, bless them.

Magicmark

Post by Magicmark » Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:14 am

Top class reports,good to hear Bishop and Parr are doing the Business,sounds like all we need now are couple of creative midfielders..If Mcgoldrick goes we can rely on Berra for the goals :wink: or the loan market,with 10k spare we might even be able to purchase Wolfsprinkle..No seriously done good today lads :D

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:17 am

Cheers for the reports you "BluesBrothers".. I was so disappointed not to be there with you given that's one of my favourite fixtures of the season and one my easiest grounds to get to from home. Unfortunately it was a big golfing day yesterday but not for many more Saturdays so hope to catch up with you soon somewhere.

Hyam must have had a costly day yesterday but no mention from either of you of an open goal miss from 6 yards towards the end of the game which was mentioned by Ian Dowie on Sky Sports, or did he get it wrong. He said if was harder to miss than to score.

For me the most heartening news is the positive comments about Jonathan Parr who clearly lived up to expectation. Hopefully more to come when Cameron Stewart becomes fit.

Let's just hope and pray MM can pull a rabbit out of the hat if McGoldrick goes to Leicester City as appears to be expected. Bring Chris Wood tonTown is what I'd like to see even if initially it's only on a season long loan. One thing for sure we definitely need a replacement.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:11 am

Very good fans reports there. And a very good result. Not many teams will go there and leave with points.

How you understand anything Ian Dowie says, Charnwood is beyond me.
"Striker dan meedle, bawl whipped in fra lft hn area, it's wn assist, dippin , swervin, opn goawl, Ohhh, misses, steeeeeel 1 aawwwl "
I'm always like, Wtf, Dowie?

The only part of the report that makes me think, "yeah so fking what?" is this quote:
"These kids will make mistakes but we are blooding them with a view to the future and that is good."

Yes, all teams will bring their youngsters through when they can, and it's great to see ITFC do it. But I get the feeling that ITFC will just be a feeder club from now on. Any youngster showing some real promise is going to be snapped up for several £M. Which would be great if the fans see some sort of injection back into the team. Just can't imagine a few real stars in their teens being allowed to remain at ITFC, in this day & age. Happened at Hibs back in 01/02. Seven stars brought through by Eck McLeish...... By 02/03, all of them warming benches at Celtic or Rangers.

The Don
Forum Hall of Famer

Post by The Don » Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:27 am

I know I've not been on here much recently, but judging by those reports it's going to be a pleasant week on the forum (barring any transfer day disasters)

Totally encouraged by the sounds of Bru, Parr and Bishop.

As always I remain impartial, but when the fixtures came out pretty much everyone cringed at the opening month and wondered where the points were coming from. We've collected some that we certainly didn't expect to. Yes there's been some questionable things happen, not turning up against Norwich being one, but I'm still open minded about the season laid out in front of us.

Massive thanks again to the preview guys as well. It's nice to be able to enjoy reading them rather than stressing over finding the time to write them.

And of course Mike and Mach for their comprehensive view for those of us that aren't there.

See you all again soon.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:55 am

It probably was harder for Hyam to miss the chance and had he hit it first time and got a good connection I feel he could only have scored it, that said it is nice to actually see him getting into the box occasionally.

Marko, you make a good point about our yongsters in that we will only be a feeder club for someone else, that may be the case but at least it brings in revenue that we are desperate for, apart form the big 4 clubs every other club is a selling club now. I really liked what I saw at Crawley of Bishop and Clarke and yesterday confirmed this, in Two appearnaces Bishop has, as Mach says done more going forward than Skuse has in hi Town career, at Crawley he hit a 30 yard rasper that smashed off the bar and again yesterday he hit a lovely shot from 20-25 yards that their keeper tipped over the bar, he has great vision and an eye for goal.

J4ck22

Post by J4ck22 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:22 am

bluejacko wrote:Thanks for the reports guys,out of curiosity i went on to the derby fans forum and seemingly we play like thugs! And the ref gave us everything. But hay ho a point is a point.
I seem to remember when they came to PR last season, they spent the game kicking the sh*t out of Williams for 90 minutes...