Foxes chase McGoldrick

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Foxes chase McGoldrick

Post by Bluemike » Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:53 am

Town and Premier League new boys Leicester City are in talks regarding an £8 million deal for striker David McGoldrick, according to various reports this morning.

Some sources are reporting that the Blues have already turned down a £6.5 million offer for the 26-year-old.

McGoldrick joined Town initially on loan from Nottingham Forest in January 2013, scoring four goals in 13 games and one sub appearance.

Having been released by Forest he put pen to paper on a permanent deal the following summer.

Last season he scored 16 goals before suffering a partial tear of the medial ligament in his right knee in February and missed the rest of the campaign.

He returned to action in pre-season and scored in the opening day victory over Fulham at Portman Road.

When McGoldrick signed his permanent deal with Town it was reported that he had agreed a two-year contract, however, manager Mick McCarthy said in April that the striker’s deal stretches beyond next summer, suggesting that the Blues have an option for a further season, although he wouldn’t go into details.

“He’s got more than a year to run," he said. “But his contract details are personnel and for me to know and not you.”

While the Blues would be loath to lose their star striker, it would be difficult to turn down an offer of the size reported or to deny McGoldrick the chance to play in the Premier League. The transfer window closes at 11pm on Monday evening.
WOW, that is crazy money, if we could get a replacment in I would snap their hands off. Becchio anyone ???

derick_ipsw

Re: Foxes chase McGoldrick

Post by derick_ipsw » Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:57 am

bluemike wrote:
Town and Premier League new boys Leicester City are in talks regarding an £8 million deal for striker David McGoldrick, according to various reports this morning.

Some sources are reporting that the Blues have already turned down a £6.5 million offer for the 26-year-old.

McGoldrick joined Town initially on loan from Nottingham Forest in January 2013, scoring four goals in 13 games and one sub appearance.

Having been released by Forest he put pen to paper on a permanent deal the following summer.

Last season he scored 16 goals before suffering a partial tear of the medial ligament in his right knee in February and missed the rest of the campaign.

He returned to action in pre-season and scored in the opening day victory over Fulham at Portman Road.

When McGoldrick signed his permanent deal with Town it was reported that he had agreed a two-year contract, however, manager Mick McCarthy said in April that the striker’s deal stretches beyond next summer, suggesting that the Blues have an option for a further season, although he wouldn’t go into details.

“He’s got more than a year to run," he said. “But his contract details are personnel and for me to know and not you.”

While the Blues would be loath to lose their star striker, it would be difficult to turn down an offer of the size reported or to deny McGoldrick the chance to play in the Premier League. The transfer window closes at 11pm on Monday evening.
WOW, that is crazy money, if we could get a replacment in I would snap their hands off. Becchio anyone ???
To get someone with same goals in them would cost £8 million so what's the point. Keep him is the answer. :shock:

morph

Post by morph » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:00 am

Thought we would all be talking about the Derby game today, so smart of Mick to release story today. :wink:
£8m would be a good deal.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:03 am

bluemike wrote:

If this is true I think it would be a case like the Cresswell deal where 8 million would only be paid on reaching certain targets.
Also, how much of this would be re-invested in the squad and also if the deal went through as it is the end of the transfer window no doubt other clubs would be asking over the odds for their players.

barmy billy

Post by barmy billy » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:27 am

If these reports are true and the fugure is actually £8 million, then I would take it like a shot PROVIDED THAT all the sum would be available to spend on replacements.

Failing the above and with the Cresswell money not having been released by Evans, I think the club would face open revolt from us fans, and rightly so.

larrylamb
Location: Poole (dorset) with work !!! most of the time or Ipswich at Home..!!

Post by larrylamb » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:48 am

If true.!!..I must admit to having no confidence that the full amount of money would go back into "buying" players" maybe a portion to buy a inferior replacement , but the full whack , just cant see it myself , so i for one would not be happy with this at all.

And i am aware that 8 mil is a great price for DM and you really can not stop a player going to the prem if they want to and a offer is in.

But hand on heart , who thinks MM would get the money , i just see it a a further decline in the club as DM is our really only creative / stylish player and what we get offered to watch is bad enough now and as i read somewhere else can you imagine a Sammon , Murphy front line... :shock:

DON'T SELL..!! :evil:

Should add to that i like Murph,s.. :wink: and think he does a lot of the dirty work so to speak but prolific he is not..just don't think he is a ideal perm front man..!!
Last edited by larrylamb on Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

barmy billy

Post by barmy billy » Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:00 am

larrylamb wrote:If true.!!..I must admit to having no confidence that the full amount of money would go back into "buying" players" maybe a portion to buy a inferior replacement , but the full whack , just cant see it myself , so i for one would not be happy with this at all.

And i am aware that 8 mil is a great price for DM and you really can not stop a player going to the prem if they want to and a offer is in.

But hand on heart , who thinks MM would get the money , i just see it a a further decline in the club as DM is our really only creative / stylish player and what we get offered to watch is bad enough now and as i read somewhere else can you imagine a Sammon , Murphy front line... :shock:
That thought fills me with despair.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:03 am

barmy billy wrote:
larrylamb wrote:If true.!!..I must admit to having no confidence that the full amount of money would go back into "buying" players" maybe a portion to buy a inferior replacement , but the full whack , just cant see it myself , so i for one would not be happy with this at all.

Followed by we are going to give Nouble another chance to prove himself. :shock: :shock:

larrylamb

Post by larrylamb » Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:10 am

Shed on tour wrote:
barmy billy wrote:

Followed by we are going to give Nouble another chance to prove himself. :shock: :shock:
Could even end up with a MM back track to Taylor even.???...(depends on if even true / and if he gets any money from possible sale)

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:17 am

My other concern is that if this story does turn out to be true and McGoldrick is sold will any money given to Mick just be used on 1 or 2 Premiership loan signings which would once again just be a short term solution.

jeremy rusher

Post by jeremy rusher » Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:25 am

If the speculation is true.....then i,m sure the invisible chairman will want to cash in.......Its worrying times for a Town fan.
What are we supposed to be excited about these days.....I,m still trying to get over the dismal performance against Norwich.

McCarthy is telling us not to panic.......perhaps he knows something we don,t.

axe grinder

Post by axe grinder » Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:29 am

Can we just sell Nouble for 8m instead

J4ck22

Post by J4ck22 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:51 am

If we can replace him properly in time then I say go for it. If we can't then there's no way in hell we should take it.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:50 am

Aye, the perks of getting to the Premiership eh. You get to keep your star players, AND you get to offer crazy money for others. Roy Keane and his "I'll get us to the EPL in one season!" PISH. Fecking arsehole. Even though that's ancient history, still quite bitter about that.

BUT ANYWAY, for me, I say, screw the fking money, McGoldrick is a capable striker, the most capable in a few years, so keep him.

BUT, then the player himself will want more of the crazy dough in the EPL, etc etc. The game of football is fkd.

Marcus, you are flogging a dead horse, unless you manage to get this club to the EPL. That's the truth of the matter. Get just a small TAD more serious about your intentions for ITFC, or feck off and let some other slightly more dedicated consortium take over.

For the highly strung few on here, I know he saved the club a few years ago, but that's starting to become ancient history also. Something needs to happen at this club, and that something is not letting the only decent striker leave .

The Don
Forum Hall of Famer

Post by The Don » Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:56 am

£8m :shock: Jesus!

I'm actually rather surprised that we turned down £6m to be honest. Shows me that we have some resolve and the remainder of some balls when it comes to dealing.

Marcus claims to be committed to the club, this will demonstrate how true that is.

loudnproud
Forum Hall of Famer

Post by loudnproud » Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:35 pm

8M plus Nugent in return,,,,,Loves scoring at PR does Nugent :wink:

The Don
Forum Hall of Famer

Post by The Don » Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:47 pm

Rumour is, McGoldrick hasn't travelled to Derby

barmy billy

Post by barmy billy » Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:20 pm

loudnproud wrote:8M plus Nugent in return,,,,,Loves scoring at PR does Nugent :wink:
Good call. How ironic it would be if it happened.

Mr.Punch

Post by Mr.Punch » Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:48 pm

The Don wrote:Rumour is, McGoldrick hasn't travelled to Derby

he's not in the team or on the bench - looks worrying

philgoddard

Post by philgoddard » Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:54 pm

The reality is a mid-table championship club with little money apparently cannot afford to turn 8 million down. Its sad but nothing to do with lack of ambition, its just the position the club is in and us as fans need to accept that.

runningout

Post by runningout » Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:10 pm

£8m 'That will do'

larrylamb

Post by larrylamb » Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:34 pm

If MM see,s none of this money to put into purchases....( not loans as long term as waste of money ,unless we go up which i doubt very much) i to be honest will loose what faith i have left in the ME reign over ITFC , This squad is screaming out for more quality and numbers for which i also hold out little faiths i think we will just get numbers , sorry to be negative but i think selling DM is a big mistake for so many reasons :cry:

Mr.Punch

Post by Mr.Punch » Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:46 pm

it seems highly likely that this is more than just a rumour, he will be off by monday.
i would agree with larrylamb's thoughts - money made must be used to buy.
this will be a bit of a test of mr evan's true intentions for the club, he claims to be a fan and every town fan knows we need to bring in quality of our own - failure to do so will surely indicate that cash is king.

Magicmark

Post by Magicmark » Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:50 pm

Praying this does not happen even for 10m.. There is no time left for a replacement anyway..Looking @ the Leicester sites they are all moaning about paying 6.8/8m for him,Rate him as average..Forrest fans used to call him Mcgoaldrought.
What are the arrogant Foxes thinking,that we are going to sell them one of our best players for next to nothing. :twisted:
Last edited by Magicmark on Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jaykay

Post by jaykay » Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:24 pm

Becchio would be ideal for me.i know losing mcgoldrick wouldnt be great,but we did lose him for the best part
of the second half of last season and did ok.althou if he had been fit we may have made the playoffs

runningout

Post by runningout » Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:14 pm

it will happen... don't believe the idle and softening comments from the manager and owner...... a decent price will obviously seal it, and we will move on well minus David McGoldrick :D

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:24 pm

For that sort of money we would be absolutely crazy not to accept, 8 million for a guy that didnt cost a penny and is in truth very injury prone, a no brainer for me. Yes we need to replace him but that cant be too hard, even if we only spend half the money.

jeremy rusher

Post by jeremy rusher » Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:49 am

philgoddard wrote:The reality is a mid-table championship club with little money apparently cannot afford to turn 8 million down. Its sad but nothing to do with lack of ambition, its just the position the club is in and us as fans need to accept that.

.... and the fans need to "accept" this.

Ha Ha Ha....Yeah right.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:01 am

bluemike wrote:For that sort of money we would be absolutely crazy not to accept, 8 million for a guy that didnt cost a penny and is in truth very injury prone, a no brainer for me. Yes we need to replace him but that cant be too hard, even if we only spend half the money.

.... or take Chris Wood in part exchange or even a straight swap.

runningout

Post by runningout » Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:09 am

Woods is well out of form