Foxes chase McGoldrick

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

larrylamb
Location: Poole (dorset) with work !!! most of the time or Ipswich at Home..!!

Re: Foxes chase McGoldrick

Post by larrylamb » Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:52 am

bluemike wrote:For that sort of money we would be absolutely crazy not to accept, 8 million for a guy that didnt cost a penny and is in truth very injury prone, a no brainer for me. Yes we need to replace him but that cant be too hard,
even if we only spend half the money

I honestly don,t think MM will see even half of the money , that's the issue for me, i agree a great deal pure money wise but if we can not replace DM (and i doubt we can) i see it as another backwards step leaving us floundering bottom half of the division , and i don,t see loans as a way forward just wasted money long term , so totally against this sale.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:46 am

For me Mcgoldrick will pick up injuries on a regular basis, last season he missed the final third and did we miss him ? I am not sure we did, with williams in behind Murphy etc it worked really well.

J4ck22

Post by J4ck22 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:27 am

The problem is that it's so late in the transfer window, it could really screw us if we aren't able to replace him in time. It's great money but we'll need a replacement which I'm not sure we'd be able to do.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:32 am

Mick has it covered, J4ck:

Put Bollokowski in goal......, move Gerken into CB......., move Berra into Midfield......, and Tabb is the new towering centre forward! Sorted.

J4ck22

Post by J4ck22 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:54 am

marko69 wrote:Mick has it covered, J4ck:

Put Bollokowski in goal......, move Gerken into CB......., move Berra into Midfield......, and Tabb is the new towering centre forward! Sorted.
I love it.

herforder

Post by herforder » Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:42 pm

I wonder how committed Nigel Pearson is to get McG into Leicester? Given that they recently acquired the lad from Brighton to bolster a pretty strong bag of strikers, and given McG's recent injury problems, and lack of real pace at PL level, chances are he's one of a number options being explored. Like everyone else, Pearson will aim to get the best quality he can for the best price, and £8M might be a couple of million too far? Question that raises is whether ME will actually accept a lower offer, rather than see LFC walk away. Of course a deal involving a quality LFC player might be a realistic option - Chris Woods being a good candidate, as others have identified. Watch and shoot as the transfer deadline clock ticks down.

Incidentally, when asked about the McG situation following yesterday's game, MM seemed to indicate that any replacements would be loans, with any money available from a move spent in January's window. Interesting comment, which could of course be negotiating tactics!

morph

Post by morph » Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:45 pm

Haven't heard anything today, which might suggest it was just a rumour. I would be happy to accept a fee of some sort and a couple of theirs in exchange. Woods and 1 other and say 3 million. I would be happy with that.

lucy

Post by lucy » Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:46 pm

morph wrote:Haven't heard anything today, which might suggest it was just a rumour. I would be happy to accept a fee of some sort and a couple of theirs in exchange. Woods and 1 other and say 3 million. I would be happy with that.
According to FB page Mcgoldrick is at Leicesters Ground

morph

Post by morph » Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:52 pm

lucy wrote:
morph wrote:Haven't heard anything today, which might suggest it was just a rumour. I would be happy to accept a fee of some sort and a couple of theirs in exchange. Woods and 1 other and say 3 million. I would be happy with that.
According to FB page Mcgoldrick is at Leicesters Ground
Not on TB so I wouldn't have seen that. Hope Mick has taken his people carrier with him to bring back our new signings. How exciting.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:54 pm

So would most others given that Woods is probably worth more than McGoldrick.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:55 pm

Having just watched the Leicester v Arsenal game on Sky I can't see why City would want to buy McGoldrick.

morph

Post by morph » Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:59 pm

Charnwood wrote:Having just watched the Leicester v Arsenal game on Sky I can't see why City would want to buy McGoldrick.
Because he is the best striker outside the Premier League? ( except Rhodes and about 10 others ). :lol:

morph

Post by morph » Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:04 pm

Charnwood wrote:

So would most others given that Woods is probably worth more than McGoldrick.
Leicester think McGoldrick is worth £8m. I think Woods is worth about 3-4. Chuck in another squad player for 1m and that is Woods + 1 other + £3m. :wink:

herforder

Post by herforder » Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:24 pm

Charnwood wrote:Having just watched the Leicester v Arsenal game on Sky I can't see why City would want to buy McGoldrick.
Agreed - as intimated above, I find it a wee bit strange. :astroll: But then this is a bonkers game!

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:44 am

Do Leicester City even need him, and in todays absurd price market seven or eight million for his services appears a bit derisory. I mean we've seen players of similar caliber going for eight figure sums and this in the championship league so why should we accept less. Why not hold out for a little extra, and sure Leicester City won't miss it on the back of their recent promotion. And (if indeed this goes ahead) then we got to look around to who's an acceptable replacement. Not easy replacing your star striker.

ollie3686

Post by ollie3686 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:50 am

larrylamb wrote:
bluemike wrote:For that sort of money we would be absolutely crazy not to accept, 8 million for a guy that didnt cost a penny and is in truth very injury prone, a no brainer for me. Yes we need to replace him but that cant be too hard,
even if we only spend half the money

I honestly don,t think MM will see even half of the money , that's the issue for me, i agree a great deal pure money wise but if we can not replace DM (and i doubt we can) i see it as another backwards step leaving us floundering bottom half of the division , and i don,t see loans as a way forward just wasted money long term , so totally against this sale.
Mcarthy won't see any of the money - how much has he seen from Cresswell. And he's already confirmed no one will be brought in to replace - his solution is to use transfer-listed Nouble. I'm going to hazard a guess that we won't get a 20 goal striker on loan - so I'm personally not holding much hope until Christmas.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:58 am

Sky are reporting that the Two clubs are a long way apart in the valuation of McGoldrick and that Leicester could be looking elsewhere.

Also interesed to hear that Palace are possibly after Two Midfielders, hope for Williams yet maybe ?

J4ck22

Post by J4ck22 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:59 am

He said that if the deal goes through then he'll be looking at a loan to replace him until january when we can look at more permanent signings. He also says funds would be available if it does, which is what they always say, but I can't imagine getting £8m+ and not having something back...

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:18 am

bluemike wrote:Sky are reporting that the Two clubs are a long way apart in the valuation of McGoldrick and that Leicester could be looking elsewhere.

Also interesed to hear that Palace are possibly after Two Midfielders, hope for Williams yet maybe ?

Mike, I'll be bloody amazed if McGoldrick goes to Leicester City to sit on their bench. I'd be less surprised to see him return to Forest now Pearce is in charge, but hopefully he'll stay put.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:18 am

Rumours starting to appear on the net that Palace are keen on McGoldrick too.

herforder

Post by herforder » Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:32 am

bluemike wrote:Rumours starting to appear on the net that Palace are keen on McGoldrick too.
Others perhaps also to show interest: clear that ME will sell - albeit reluctantly - for the right price. With the clock ticking, Pearson will move on to his other targets if a deal can't be done. Clearly thinks overpriced at £8M. What will be ME's tipping point be? I think McG would be happy with a squad role at LFC - he could live in his own house for starters, whilst the extra loot will be handy! Might end up with a disgruntled boy.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:32 am

bluemike wrote:Rumours starting to appear on the net that Palace are keen on McGoldrick too.

I thought the attraction of Leicester was that he could move back to his home in the East Midlands. Having said that Palace have a greater need for another striker than Leicester and may therefore make a more attractive offer.

The later it goes on throughout the day the more silly the offer could be both for the player and the selling club.

At least it won't drag on and either way we'll know exactly where we stand within 12 hrs.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:44 am

Palace enquired about Chris Wood.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:52 am

Crystal Palace have agreed to pay a club-record £7m fee to Wigan Athletic for midfielder player James McArthur.

Not sure how deep their pockets are.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:55 pm

Glenn Murray & 5 Million for McGoldrick now LOL.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:58 pm

Is that the latest rumour or is that what's happened.

I'd thought he was on his way to Reading and the deal was pretty much done.

Dazzz67

Post by Dazzz67 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:07 pm

5M for McGoldrick, sorry that's not enough IMO.

Also Palace sniffing round Mings (if reports are to be believed).

Any rumours in our favour anybody?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:23 pm

The Murray thing is just a rumour that I have read.
Crystal Palace may have ended their interest in Blues left-back Tyrone Mings, according to South London sources. The 21-year-old was being eyed by the Eagles with new manager Neil Warnock keen to add to his left-sided options.

Warnock is close to adding Tottenham left-back Zeki Fryers to his squad but is also understood to have been interested in bringing in Mings.

However, the Croydon Advertiser's Palace reporter has tweeted that the proposed switch now “could be off”.
I wonder with Palace now signing James McCarthur for 7 million that it may make Jonny Williams available ?

herforder

Post by herforder » Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:27 pm

Dazzz67 wrote:5M for McGoldrick, sorry that's not enough IMO.

Also Palace sniffing round Mings (if reports are to be believed).

Any rumours in our favour anybody?
Palace now ceased their interest in Mings, apparently. Have shown interest in McG; although talks remain ongoing with LFC....... :astroll: Amazed that no rumours/interest shown in Berra - whose loss would, for me, might be more significant than McG's. Clock's ticking away!

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:32 pm

bluemike wrote:The Murray thing is just a rumour that I have read.
Crystal Palace may have ended their interest in Blues left-back Tyrone Mings, according to South London sources. The 21-year-old was being eyed by the Eagles with new manager Neil Warnock keen to add to his left-sided options.

Warnock is close to adding Tottenham left-back Zeki Fryers to his squad but is also understood to have been interested in bringing in Mings.

However, the Croydon Advertiser's Palace reporter has tweeted that the proposed switch now “could be off”.
I wonder with Palace now signing James McCarthur for 7 million that it may make Jonny Williams available ?

At best he's only been making the bench and they've also taken back Wilfred Zaha who takes up an attacking midfield position. I'm pretty sure Jonny Williams will become surplus but there will be a lot of competition for him in the Championship, we can only hope he enjoyed himself enough last season to want to come back.