Ipswich Town vs Huddersfield Town Match Preview

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Will we bounce back?

Ipswich Win
100%
Huddersfield Win
No votes
Draw
No votes

Total votes: 16

marko69
Global Moderator

Re: Ipswich Town vs Huddersfield Town Match Preview

Post by marko69 » Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:31 pm

That penalty just prompted me to go get the laptop. FFS ITFC, just get the f**king job done today, FFS! NO DRAWS...... Get it won MM.

Mr.Punch

Post by Mr.Punch » Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:36 pm

15 worrying minutes to go

shamm

Post by shamm » Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:39 pm

Why can't we do this easily.
All Huddersfield.

Mr.Punch

Post by Mr.Punch » Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:41 pm

2-2 blew it :(

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:41 pm

FACK OFF! Useless cnts

J4ck22

Post by J4ck22 » Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:44 pm

This team can be really pathetic sometimes.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:44 pm

If you ever read this Mick..... You bring all this pressure on yourself with your "locking up shop" SHYTE ...... AT HOME!

J4ck22

Post by J4ck22 » Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:48 pm

marko69 wrote:If you ever read this Mick..... You bring all this pressure on yourself with your "locking up shop" SHYTE ...... AT HOME!
To be fair, he didn't. They had nothing until they got a penalty and that was all they needed to get all the momentum to outplay us.

shamm

Post by shamm » Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:51 pm

Cannot even hold the ball long enough.

Mr.Punch

Post by Mr.Punch » Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:51 pm

this really is 2 points given away

Mr.Punch

Post by Mr.Punch » Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:53 pm

birmingham 0 bournemouth 8 :shock:

shamm

Post by shamm » Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:55 pm

Crazy. Not again. 5 without a win.
How do we throw a two goal lead.

shamm

Post by shamm » Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:56 pm

Excellent changes by Chris Powell. Mick always worries me on his decision making with the changes he makes. Puts us on the back foot.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:59 pm

ITFC are reminding me of Bobby Williamsons tenure at Hibs. EVERYONE dreaded going in front early because Williamson started drastically changing things, which always resulted in draws and defeats. Something must've changed today to cause that result, J4Ck? They are a decent side with some experienced players,...... Can only assume instruction from the dugout changed that game. I'll await the fans reports but that's a serious kick in the f**king nutsac.

J4ck22

Post by J4ck22 » Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:01 pm

marko69 wrote:ITFC are reminding me of Bobby Williamsons tenure at Hibs. EVERYONE dreaded going in front early because Williamson started drastically changing things, which always resulted in draws and defeats. Something must've changed today to cause that result, J4Ck? They are a decent side with some experienced players,...... Can only assume instruction from the dugout changed that game. I'll await the fans reports but that's a serious kick in the f**king nutsac.
Something did change it, the penalty. The players are responsible for their performance on the pitch and they were still having chances to get a 3rd goal. It's not about sitting back, it's more that we're terrible when put under pressure and lose momentum. It's really f**king annoying, but I really don't believe that Mick orders them to park the bus every time, it's down to the players more often than not.
Last edited by J4ck22 on Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ipswichtownNo1

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:02 pm

9 Points dropped in last four games. Ggrrrrrrrrr!!!

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:05 pm

Penalty or not.... If that's the case, then maybe people can stfu about auto promo and the play offs. If they can't see off Huddersfield, AT HOME, after being 2 f**king nil up, then there is no chance. Get the mentality amongst the team sorted Mick.

lucy

Post by lucy » Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:44 pm

Why oh why do we always get the poorest of refs. Everything went Huddersfields way near enough. There players only had to fall down and he blew the whistle. And that penalty was so soft. The one we should of had last week was much more a penalty then that. After the penalty we were nervous and it showed. One thing i don't understand though. Why take Sammon off for Tabb. We needed the height and Tabb doesn't give us that.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:05 pm

Well that was by far the worst I have seen us play for a long long time, especially at home. We were abject from start to finish. Toothless in attack, shakey at the back and totally awol in midfield where we were overrun against their Five man midfield. Normally it would feel like a defeat after being 2-0 nil up but quite how we were ahead is beyond me so in a weird sort of way I am happy we got something from the game. Huddersfield certainly deserved at least the point they got.

I am far happier with Mings at LB and Parr RB, for me Chambers had a stinker today and was slow and all over the place, I think the changes to the back Four certainly unsettled us, Berra was his usual solid self though and along with Smith they handled Holt with ease, until of course he did what he does best and that is cheat his way to a penalty which for me it most definitley wasnt a Pen, I may be wrong and will see it again but I thought he dived. That decision clearly changed the game as it came at a time when we were perhaps at our best, which still wasnt great. From that moment we were ragged at best, we lost our shape, our composure and as usual we started to panic, this really has got to be sorted out as it is getting a regular occurance again.

It would be impossible to single out a MOTM as most were average at best but Berra did a good job, on the downside Chambo had a poor game, Skuse was very poor and McGoldrick, well what can you say, where Mings has knuckled down and got in with the job after being denied a move Didsy has gone backwards and to me is sulking about it, I think he has been awful in most games since and today was no different, yes he assisted a goal but that aside was very poor, the money we were offered for him looks bloody huge now if it didnt before, he really needs to up his game and fast.

Despite only drawing we had a lot of results go our way so it is another big chance missed to make some ground on those around us who all seem to be content to throw away points too. We can say no win in 5 or 1 defeat in 10, you decide. It is not often I dont enjoy my football whatever the outcopme but today was one of those times, a boring game and a poor performance. We need to bounce back at Blackpool for sure.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:12 pm

Thanks for the report, Mike.

Some may have a different opinion, but I'm personally hoping Mick uses the "No win in 5" approach when he speaks to the overpaid tw@ts.

Andym

Post by Andym » Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:53 pm

I think Mike summed it up pretty well. The defensive changes are the same I would have made, and I guess most of us would. But it didn't work. When he last played as full back I thought Chambers was learning to get forward but today he didn't. And Parr, who is supposedly a left back by choice, looked shaky. He also failed to get forward much. The 3 midfielders are all central midfielders so we had no width. And they were all poor, not getting a look in.
So a shaky defence, and an invisible midfield, we could so easily have conceded 3 in the first half but somehow went in 1-0 up which was, to be fair, a good goal. The only thing Mike said that I would disagree with was that I that McGoldrick did the best of the 3 strikers despite no service.
Having been outplayed in the first half, the second half was more even as Huddersfield didn't play as well. The second goal was again a good one but hardly deserved. Unlike some, I did think we sat back too much then. If it's true that we didn't try to shut up shop, we certainly played too deep. Can't comment on the penalty, but I agree with Lucy about the ref. Huddersfield were a decent footballing side, but despite being quite physical they fell over very easily. The referee seemed to give them free kicks he wasn't prepared to give us for some reason.
Next Saturday is very important; I'm not relishing the next 2 home games against Wolves and Watford after the last 2 performances.

lucy

Post by lucy » Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:11 pm

I think every Ipswich supporter at the game today thinks the same about the ref.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:17 pm

Rubbish!! A couple injuries and a suspension and we start falling apart! Sort it out Mick!

herforder

Post by herforder » Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:11 pm

Poor officials notwithstanding, to surrender a slightly improbable two goal lead is both disappointing and frustrating. Interesting, however, that MM agreed that Chambo's challenge on the lump that is GH was indeed a pen.

From that point on, knowing our recent ability to implode, you would have had a strong bet on the equaliser following, and lo it came to pass far too easily. Our subs made not one jot of difference; we lacked creativity and pace, lost possession too often and easily, conceded too many soft free kicks and confidence once again drained away. Apart from that, we were fine!

All that said, these are largely the same players who did so well just recently, resulting in all manner of plaudits and awards. If we are to have this wobbly patch - as all teams do - then rather have it now, than during the run in when we just might be in contention for the play offs. For all that today's performance was disheartening, we have to keep going, trying to do the right things. Meanwhile, MM/TC have some thinking to do, regarding personnel and team set up.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:59 pm

Many thanks to Mike & Andym for your match reports, it's always nice to hear first hand from posters who actually went to the game albeit we often see things differently.

Overall I guess it was disappointing reading especially just as I thought our Mick was putting together a half decent side. I've just watched some brief highlights on the telly and it looked like Chambers was suspect for both goals we conceded, the first for giving away the penalty and the second for not being close enough to the scorer who looked to be the player he should have been marking.

Maybe we need Mings back more than I've given him credit, and I think most of agree that we look a far better side when Johnny Williams is playing, let's hope he gets fit again very quickly.

The league table is beginning to look very cramped with 11 teams with 17-22 points which means 3 points won or lost can make a significant difference in league position.

Let's hope we get back to winning ways very quickly.

lucy

Post by lucy » Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:11 am

My report didn't mean much then obviously.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:19 am

lucy wrote:My report didn't mean much then obviously.

Sorry Lucy, I hadn't seen it.

Sensitive little bunny. :lol:

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:33 am

Read a match report on what occured and McCarthy went as far as saying (quote) 'We were lucky to get a point'. I don't know what's going on with the team sometimes. Get some consistency, go on a (albeit short) winning streak and obtain a number of points, then revert to how things went before with some disappointing outcome. OK didn't see the game itself but ascertained enough information from match reports including post-game response on these pages to get a fair understanding. Still unable to eradicate the tendency for late opposition goals continues to be a concern and letting a two goal advantage slip ? Disappointing would seem the word of the day but there's still plenty of time to make impact and still insist (although it's blatantly obvious) we're in better hands with the current team manager than what came directly before.

Say what you like and I'll take any backlash but we're simply not consistent enough to seriously challenge the automatic positions and as for the play-off zone, it's going to be hit or miss at best. It's not the managers fault, I got no animosity towards McCarthy whatsoever, maybe the senior match official had another poor day and again decisions went in the oppositions favor but we can't always use it as an excuse. Sure they'll always be the next game (as it's invariably said), but what happens after that (if points dropped remain consistent)

rossi

Post by rossi » Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:15 am

saint jude wrote:Read a match report on what occured and McCarthy went as far as saying (quote) 'We were lucky to get a point'. I don't know what's going on with the team sometimes. Get some consistency, go on a (albeit short) winning streak and obtain a number of points, then revert to how things went before with some disappointing outcome. OK didn't see the game itself but ascertained enough information from match reports including post-game response on these pages to get a fair understanding. Still unable to eradicate the tendency for late opposition goals continues to be a concern and letting a two goal advantage slip ? Disappointing would seem the word of the day but there's still plenty of time to make impact and still insist (although it's blatantly obvious) we're in better hands with the current team manager than what came directly before.

Say what you like and I'll take any backlash but we're simply not consistent enough to seriously challenge the automatic positions and as for the play-off zone, it's going to be hit or miss at best. It's not the managers fault, I got no animosity towards McCarthy whatsoever, maybe the senior match official had another poor day and again decisions went in the oppositions favor but we can't always use it as an excuse. Sure they'll always be the next game (as it's invariably said), but what happens after that (if points dropped remain consistent)
Agreed 100%. I think MM has done a wonderful job, especially given the fact that he has been given virtually nothing to spend on resources. Ok, it does frustrate me that so often we seem to try to sit on a lead, and I think that MM must have spmething to do with this. Also, it frustrates me whenever he picks Scuse and Hyam in the same team. But it shows how thin our squad is when we really don't play well when missing just 2 key players (one of whom isn't even ours).
It's made me smile to see some of the blind optimism on this board over the past few weeks - especially those views that automatic promotion is a reality. We simply do not have the personnel to achieve that, and I think our current league position is about right.

barmy billy

Post by barmy billy » Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:40 am

Please excuse me if I have got it wrong, but the nearest I got to football yesterday was watching a lioness kicking a mooring buoy around at Colchester Zoo and my grandson only allowing me few minutes on the car radio on the way home.

My quesion is this. Why did he not play Parr, Chambers, Berra and Smith across the back in that order? Or have I got it wrong?

By all accounts it was a pretty dire match, which is a great shame as we had appeared to be improving. Still time though.