The FA Cup

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Shed on tour

The FA Cup

Post by Shed on tour » Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:01 pm

Is still alive and kicking.

What an amazing day and results!

James Scharmann

Re: The FA Cup

Post by James Scharmann » Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:20 pm

Biggest shocks I've seen in my lifetime top 2 teams in England Chelsea and Man City losing to Bradford and Middlesbrough :shock:

BLUEBLOOD

Post by BLUEBLOOD » Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:43 pm

James Scharmann wrote:Biggest shocks I've seen in my lifetime top 2 teams in England Chelsea and Man City losing to Bradford and Middlesbrough :shock:
And both were playing at home too.
Southampton lost to an in form palace team.

herforder

Post by herforder » Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:08 pm

Amazing stuff - add to the mix Cambridge United's fantastic performance against Man U last night! Can only be good for both the competition and the game in general.

barmy billy

Post by barmy billy » Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:35 pm

It's always good to see these glamour teams brought down a peg or two.

I thought Cambridge were exceptional last and thoroughly deserving of a replay.

The Don
Forum Hall of Famer

Post by The Don » Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:01 pm

Ridiculous. There goes my hat-trick on the Prediciton League :(

itfc76trev

Post by itfc76trev » Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:06 pm

The Don wrote:Ridiculous. There goes my hat-trick on the Prediciton League :(

I think im in with a squeak for top score this week mate :)

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:12 pm

Do you think these top PL sides really take the FA cup seriously these days? Im not convinced that they do.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:42 pm

Bingo, Hallam. No they don't.

If they do take it seriously , then you've got to doubt the actual league system.

Bradford win 4-2 @ Chelsea? Fk off.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:29 pm

Well if they don't, a couple of them might have wished they had come the end of the season if they end up without a trophy.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:43 pm

Chelski have been prominent participents in the Champions league for the past 15 years. No one has put 4 past Chelski for eons! Then Bradford City of League One go there and do it? The half pished on a saturday night Marko ain't buying it.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:11 am

Not a pussed as that Bradford official interviewed post match lol. That tie he was wearing was awesomely bad lol!

Magicmark

Post by Magicmark » Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:22 am

Good to see jon stead kicking chelski`s butt :D The guy can be awesome when he`s in the right mood for it.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:39 am

I thought his hold up play was brilliant.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:46 am

hallamblue wrote:Do you think these top PL sides really take the FA cup seriously these days? Im not convinced that they do.
No they don't and that's the whole freakin' point. Many club sides today don't give a sh*t about this competition and both Chelsea and Manchester City have league championship and European Cup high hopes and can only imagine they fielded a weakened team respectively today and didn't give half as much effort as required.

The FA Cup is a tournament that has lost a lot of glamor and appeal in recent years. Having semi-finals at the national stadium (and a final event in Cardiff, Wales) in the last twenty years for instance had taken some significant appeal away from the competition and honestly, I think a number of people have simply lost interest.

And Yes - we could have been (should have been) involved today - but any opportunity went by the wayside in a lackluster replayed game in the last round. As before, it appears sometimes that this competition isn't what some remember.

PS Scharmann - you must be of a young age if today represented the biggest upsets you can name in this competition. Nothing wrong with that, but for those of a certain age, the memories of Sutton United and Coventry, Bournemouth and Manchester United (1984), and Hereford United and Newcastle would have to be included - or take on a greater significance.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:11 am

For me Chelski not taking it seriously is a load of bollocks!

They took it serious enough to go 2-0 up. Yes they rotated their squad a bit for the game but even the starting line up wasn't bad and in the last 20 minutes they had the big guns on the pitch. To come from 2 down at Stamford Bridge and win is a tremendous achievement for any side.

IMO saying it was a just a case of them not taking it seriously is being disrespectful to Bradford. Feck me if we had done what they did yesterday many on here would have been going on about it forever.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:43 am

I am with Shed, they were taking it seriously enough during the first half of the game, it is all too easy to pass every defeat off with the "we dont care" tag line, they were stuffed and bloody good job.

One thing I would say though, no way are the results the greatest ever shocks in FA Cup history, SJ has listed some of those already.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:52 am

If you are correct and Chelsea were taking things seriously......, and with today's game as high spec as it is, James is correct........, Bradford City putting 4 past Chelsea at the bridge pisses all over any previous shocks. And if that's worth disagreeing over, you must see that it's on a par with Sutton United putting out cup holders Coventry City? Shed, you even said it, "They put their big guns on." ....., if Mourinho was taking things seriously, then it's a massive cup shock for the history books.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:55 am

FTR, I don't really see Boro winning @ the Etihad as a shock. They are playing well, and the last time I saw City, ( v gunners I think) they were pretty darn sh*t. I actually thought the manager was going to get sacked last Monday.

The Don
Forum Hall of Famer

Post by The Don » Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:57 am

Yeah, for me Bradford beating Chelsea is the better result. I don't know why, but I wasn't as surprised by Boro getting one over on City. Even though it screwed my PL result up.

Even Cambridge getting a draw against a United side that included the likes of Falcao and Di Maria was impressive

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:24 am

marko69 wrote:If you are correct and Chelsea were taking things seriously......, and with today's game as high spec as it is, James is correct........, Bradford City putting 4 past Chelsea at the bridge pisses all over any previous shocks. And if that's worth disagreeing over, you must see that it's on a par with Sutton United putting out cup holders Coventry City? Shed, you even said it, "They put their big guns on." ....., if Mourinho was taking things seriously, then it's a massive cup shock for the history books.
Marko,

For me it makes it even more impressive that Bradford actually went on and won the game when Chelsea had their big guns on the pitch.

When they got it back to 2-2 many teams would have just tried and shut up shop and take a replay back at their place. Bradford were having none of that and went all out for the win and got what they deserved.

Think Chelsea were also surprised by the quality of football played by Bradford, if those 3rd and 4th goals had been scored by a Premiership or dare I say it a Champions league side, then they would be going on about it for weeks.

I agree though that I wouldn't say it was the greatest shock in FA Cup history but certainly one that will always be remembered.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:52 am

I've never taken anything away from the fact that Bradford done extremely well to win at Stamford Bridge, (4 goals!) ......., they should be very proud of themselves this morning. But......, I dunno. I'll leave it.

So......, change the subject......, where do you think Neil Armstrong really was when he was supposed to be walking about on the moon?

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:59 am

marko69 wrote:I've never taken anything away from the fact that Bradford done extremely well to win at Stamford Bridge, (4 goals!) ......., they should be very proud of themselves this morning. But......, I dunno. I'll leave it.

So......, change the subject......, where do you think Neil Armstrong really was when he was supposed to be walking about on the moon?
Don't know but i know where i was, in the fecking U.S.A watching it! :lol: :lol:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:01 pm

Armstrong was probably at Stamford Bridge.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:05 pm

bluemike wrote:Armstrong was probably at Stamford Bridge.
He scored a "fecking great goal in the San Siro".

larrylamb
Location: Poole (dorset) with work !!! most of the time or Ipswich at Home..!!

Post by larrylamb » Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:42 pm

On the FA cup is it just me (i dont like Man U) or can any one else not quite believe how much latitude LVG has been given , the bloke has spent shed loads , and his record is very comparable to Moyes who was derided and hounded out by many so called Man u fans , and to top it off i just can not believe how much up his own arse LVG appears to be on occasion - the draw against Cambridge being the example , everybody fault except him and the squad he has spent millions on.!!..just hope and his team sink without trace to be honest!! :evil:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:05 pm

Shed on tour wrote:
marko69 wrote:I've never taken anything away from the fact that Bradford done extremely well to win at Stamford Bridge, (4 goals!) ......., they should be very proud of themselves this morning. But......, I dunno. I'll leave it.

Don't know but i know where i was, in the fecking U.S.A watching it! :lol: :lol:
So was Neil Armstrong apparently! :D

The Don
Forum Hall of Famer

Post by The Don » Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:20 pm

larrylamb wrote:On the FA cup is it just me (i dont like Man U) or can any one else not quite believe how much latitude LVG has been given , the bloke has spent shed loads , and his record is very comparable to Moyes who was derided and hounded out by many so called Man u fans , and to top it off i just can not believe how much up his own arse LVG appears to be on occasion - the draw against Cambridge being the example , everybody fault except him and the squad he has spent millions on.!!..just hope and his team sink without trace to be honest!! :evil:
Whoever took over from Fergie was always going to be on a hiding to nothing. Unless they romped the league, cups and champions league they would fail as the fans and board would not accept anything less than what they were used to. Now they have the ready made excuse of saying that the side isn't as good as it was under Fergie and the new manager has to be given time to rebuild from the "Moyes era". It could be argued that Fergies last season was won on morale rather than talent anyway. I'm pretty sure that even he would admit it was nowhere near as strong a side as he'd been used to.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:29 pm

LVG is a tit of the highest order, I am reading today how he couldnt even speak to or congratulate the cambridge manager at the whistle or indeed after the game, it was left to Ryan Giggs to go to their dressing room and offer his congratulations etc while that Dutch tw*t was nowhere to be see. Utter c*ck.

TODD66
Posting Game Moderator

Post by TODD66 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:34 pm

bluemike wrote:LVG is a tit of the highest order, I am reading today how he couldnt even speak to or congratulate the cambridge manager at the whistle or indeed after the game, it was left to Ryan Giggs to go to their dressing room and offer his congratulations etc while that Dutch tw*t was nowhere to be see. Utter c*ck.
He was probably having to deal with his 'twitching bottom' so couldn't find the time.