Ipswich Town vs Brentford Match Preview

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Can we win this one?

Ipswich Win
50%
Brentford Win
6%
A Point Only
44%

Total votes: 16

J4ck22

Re: Ipswich Town vs Brentford Match Preview

Post by J4ck22 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 5:57 pm

Pissed all over them second half, absolutely no clue how we didn't win this.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 5:58 pm

Aw well, 2-2 now. Birmingham working miracles.

The only draw that's absolutely fantastic today was Cowdenbeath 0 Rangers 0

Sounds like ITFC missed a huge chance today. We have all been saying that for months now. Should've won today by the sound of it. Very deflating.

lucy

Post by lucy » Sat Mar 07, 2015 5:59 pm

Derby were winning 2-0 right upto 90 mins. Birmingham score 2 goals and it ends 2-2 :shock:

Ohiotractorboy

Post by Ohiotractorboy » Sat Mar 07, 2015 6:01 pm

All kinds of chances for naught.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 6:01 pm

Not to sound too much of a c*ckend, but with Boro losing today, I fear ITFC getting fking hammered there next week.

lucy

Post by lucy » Sat Mar 07, 2015 6:03 pm

Sears should never have gone off. Murphy deserved to the way he was playing. Yes he scored our goal but omg he was off par 2nd half. 2/3 great chances were badly missed.

J4ck22

Post by J4ck22 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 6:04 pm

lucy wrote:Sears should never have gone off. Murphy deserved to the way he was playing. Yes he scored our goal but omg he was off par 2nd half. 2/3 great chances were badly missed.
Meh, Sears was constantly running into walls, they had him well covered. Murphy spooned every chance he had but at least he was actually getting chances.

Ohiotractorboy

Post by Ohiotractorboy » Sat Mar 07, 2015 6:08 pm

Clearly Smith needs to get it sorted out and start scoring goals!

JonnoTown

Post by JonnoTown » Sat Mar 07, 2015 6:11 pm

I think a point is a fair result overall.

It was a much improved performance which is the pleasing thing. Parr and Chaplow were fantastic. We got in beyond defence for the first time in a while.

Murphy's miss was ridiculous. Why did he try and finish with the outside of his left foot rather than just letting it hit him and go in.

I had a £1 bet on 6 accumulators and thoughtI'd just won £180, then Birmingham get 2 in injury time!

A frustrating afternoon again.

tractorollson

Post by tractorollson » Sat Mar 07, 2015 6:36 pm

Been a good season but its drifting away now sadly.

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Sat Mar 07, 2015 6:54 pm

Evidently when Bishop came on he opened up the game, I still cant see how Smith & Tabb get in, what was wrong with a Bishop, Bru, Scuse, Chaplow midfield, unless by some miracle fate helps us, I cannot see us even in the playoffs if we cant score open goals,

lucy

Post by lucy » Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:02 pm

ashfordblue wrote:Evidently when Bishop came on he opened up the game, I still cant see how Smith & Tabb get in, what was wrong with a Bishop, Bru, Scuse, Chaplow midfield, unless by some miracle fate helps us, I cannot see us even in the playoffs if we cant score open goals,
Bru is injured.

herforder

Post by herforder » Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:04 pm

Don't normally post immediately following a match - but I feel that today's 'nearly' performance may well define why we might not make the play-offs. By no means a totally poor display, but one where our lack of quality in the midfield, together with an increasingly nervous and agricultural defence, and missing relatively easy chances, might ultimately do for us. BUT, others are in the same boat and, with 10 games to go, I don't believe all is necessarily lost.

After two successive defeats, take today's performance and build on it.

barmy billy

Post by barmy billy » Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:11 pm

ashfordblue wrote:Evidently when Bishop came on he opened up the game, I still cant see how Smith & Tabb get in, what was wrong with a Bishop, Bru, Scuse, Chaplow midfield, unless by some miracle fate helps us, I cannot see us even in the playoffs if we cant score open goals,
I think you quite right about some of the midfielders Ash. It's hard to understand why he keeps coming up with these different permutations which don't work. Apart from one or two, It seems clear to me that the players are just not good enough.

Ohiotractorboy

Post by Ohiotractorboy » Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:21 pm

barmy billy wrote:
I think you quite right about some of the midfielders Ash. It's hard to understand why he keeps coming up with these different permutations which don't work. Apart from one or two, It seems clear to me that the players are just not good enough.

Totally agree. The last time I went on about the midfield, they sort of went off on Birmingham. Outside that game, they havent done a whole lot at all the least two months. Still not sure how Smith is part of that though.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:23 pm

Herforder, an "agricultural defence"? I have no doubt others know what that is, but it's lost on me. What is a agricultural defence? Defenders who get on their "tractors" and be farmers during the week?

Ohiotractorboy

Post by Ohiotractorboy » Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:28 pm

marko69 wrote:Herforder, an "agricultural defence"? I have no doubt others know what that is, but it's lost on me. What is a agricultural defence? Defenders who get on their "tractors" and be farmers during the week?

(sigh) It is where you grow the grass really long to stop the ball from rolling into the goal.

Hope you are right Herforder, I am trying to stay optimistic at this point.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:35 pm

So bloody frustrating today, I think I am in a very small minority when I say I thought we played well and deserved to win the game, the second half was pretty much all us while the first was very even. All that was lacking today was that we failed to take one of the chances that we created and as such have given away two points. It is quite ironic that is Daryl Murphy who in the last two games has cost us points, hard to criticise him but that is a fact, his miss in the first minute of the second half can only be described as miss of the century, it was that bad. I also think he should have done better with the one on one that the keeper saved, Sears showed us a couple of weeks back how to finish those, but as I say how can you really moan about the guy ??

I actually felt the midfield did ok today and we saw good performances from Parr, Tabb and Skuse while Chaplow didnt do too bad when he was on either. It ios the back Four who continue to hoof the ball but again I dont know if it is just me but I didnt think we did it loads today, am I wrong ? Maybe I am being kind ? I thought we carved them open several times at the back and got in behind them, several balls were flashed across their box and we just couldnt finsih it off. Don't get me wrong when they did have the ball Brentford played some nice passing football but that unfortunately is their style not ours, they also had a couple of decent chances too. I felt for Gerks who did nothing wrong today because he pulled off a cracking save only for the ball to fly onto the head of the attacking player who buried it for 1-1.

I thought for a neutral it would have been a cracking, end to end game and was far better than the last 3 or 4 although most will no doubt be disappointed because we didnt win and of course I get that. I still can't take to Wood, I think he is a lumbering great oaf, Tabb wins more in the air than he does and again it baffled me to a point why Sears was taken off, although as Jack say he was running into walls at times second half. Once again I didnt feel our substitutions had a positive effect on the game, for me Bishop never got into it at all. Not much has changed today as far as the batle for play offs is concerned but we have missed a trick by not winning this one when we clearly deserved to.

herforder

Post by herforder » Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:35 pm

marko69 wrote:Herforder, an "agricultural defence"? I have no doubt others know what that is, but it's lost on me. What is a agricultural defence? Defenders who get on their "tractors" and be farmers during the week?
Dunno either! :wink:

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:36 pm

lucy wrote:How the hell did Murphy miss that!. 3 yards out if that clear on goal and he shoots over.
Certainly got to be right up there in misses of the season. :shock:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:50 pm

As bad as lescotts header 5 mins ago v Villa?

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sat Mar 07, 2015 8:14 pm

Sometimes you just got to bite your tongue. Freedom of speech isn't always the prevailing attitude

In short, we realize it's another opportunity missed, but how many times has that been said in recent months - and how many times will it be said in the remaining weeks ahead.

Seems we got players that can create opportunity but can't convert those chances provided. At the end of last year a home draw with Brentford would seem a decent score but as time has moved on you don't get the same appeal now.

Ok there were chances missed today on the field as one or two players didn't do what their salary demands, but for all the chances created, what good is it if you can't turn them into goals. Unfortunately there are teams above us right now that can do just that and bottom line, why they will see a promotion, and this club won't.

Haven't seen the other results today involving other clubs of this league although there has been one or two mention of Derby fumbling points. Guess it's another example of other teams slipping up where we couldn't take advantage.

Still hopeful of a play-off place, it would be wrong to just dismiss such a thing in the position we still find ourselves but maybe I'm just kidding myself. There's too many points being spurned as the weeks pass for some liking.

Ohiotractorboy

Post by Ohiotractorboy » Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:06 pm

"There's too many points being spurned as the weeks pass for some liking."

For all of ours partner!

Mach_Polish_Blue

Post by Mach_Polish_Blue » Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:10 pm

bluemike wrote:So bloody frustrating today, I think I am in a very small minority when I say I thought we played well and deserved to win the game, the second half was pretty much all us while the first was very even. All that was lacking today was that we failed to take one of the chances that we created and as such have given away two points. It is quite ironic that is Daryl Murphy who in the last two games has cost us points, hard to criticise him but that is a fact, his miss in the first minute of the second half can only be described as miss of the century, it was that bad. I also think he should have done better with the one on one that the keeper saved, Sears showed us a couple of weeks back how to finish those, but as I say how can you really moan about the guy ??

I actually felt the midfield did ok today and we saw good performances from Parr, Tabb and Skuse while Chaplow didnt do too bad when he was on either. It ios the back Four who continue to hoof the ball but again I dont know if it is just me but I didnt think we did it loads today, am I wrong ? Maybe I am being kind ? I thought we carved them open several times at the back and got in behind them, several balls were flashed across their box and we just couldnt finsih it off. Don't get me wrong when they did have the ball Brentford played some nice passing football but that unfortunately is their style not ours, they also had a couple of decent chances too. I felt for Gerks who did nothing wrong today because he pulled off a cracking save only for the ball to fly onto the head of the attacking player who buried it for 1-1.

I thought for a neutral it would have been a cracking, end to end game and was far better than the last 3 or 4 although most will no doubt be disappointed because we didnt win and of course I get that. I still can't take to Wood, I think he is a lumbering great oaf, Tabb wins more in the air than he does and again it baffled me to a point why Sears was taken off, although as Jack say he was running into walls at times second half. Once again I didnt feel our substitutions had a positive effect on the game, for me Bishop never got into it at all. Not much has changed today as far as the batle for play offs is concerned but we have missed a trick by not winning this one when we clearly deserved to.
Mike I don't know if you're in a minority but I'm in disagreement with you. No way did we deserve to win the game as we lacked quality to do so. However we can only blame ourselves for failure to win as we missed three great chances as Murphy's open goal miss will be remembered for many years.

Second half wasn't us. It was 50/50. In the last 20-25 minutes when we were trying to win it our only way of playing was long balls. Pathetic hoofing with no midfield whatsoever. No organisation in the middle, no-one who could guide this team forward. We were slow, predictable and there was no element of surprise. Even when doing some attempts we were never quicker than Brentford players. That poor pass from Tabb towards the end of first half did epitomise our bungling today. They'd operate the ball better than us, pass better than us. Alex Pritchard was particularly impressive.

Tabb though a grafter didn't do anything special. No quality and unfortunately his deliveries were awful and didn't cause any trouble.

Murphy has had a terrible week but I won't be picking on him as his goals are the reason where we are in the table. Missed penalty at Leeds and horrific open goal miss today. But then when things like this happen where are others to do the business?

Sears taken off. Why? He may have been tired but unfortunately even half fit Sears offers more than Wood. Agree with you Mike re Wood as he's been failing to impress.

Chaplow taken off. For F**** SAKE, why? He was one of the better players. Far better than Skuse.

Smith so heavily criticised at the moment saved us from defeat in 90 min as his last-gasp intervention stopped Pritchard from going one v one with Gerken. The latter was really vigilant today as there was a few shots from Brentford forwards.

The back four kept hoofing and this is really annoying to watch however sometimes it seems as if they're enforced to do so as our midfield lacks ability to operate and pass a ball. Not always but sometimes.

As for midfield see my separate thread regarding Skuse.

Our style of football remains the same and we don't offer different solutions. Therefore there is no way we're gonna get anything out of Middlesbrough and Watford games but obviously I'd love to be wrong. Bolton game on Tuesday week is the only realistic chance of getting 3 points.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:56 pm

We all see it how we see it Mach but I really did think that was a game we deserved to win, certainly on chances etc. I feel a bit for the midfield at times because it is the back Four who are guilty of hoofing the ball forward because with the exception of Mings none of them have the confidence to run with it etc.

I agree about Chaplow too, I thought him and Parr were the best Two players first half and was surprised when he went off, he was linking up well with Murphy for much of the half. I wouldnt be too sure about us getting nothing at Middlesbrough or watford, we have beaten them both fairly easily already although we were playing better then.

JonnoTown

Post by JonnoTown » Sun Mar 08, 2015 1:26 am

I think there are too many negative comments post match today.

I get people are frustrated but this was the best 90 minutes we've played in a long time against a top 6 side that plays really good football. Brentford had won 4 out of the last 5 or something.

We created enough opportunities to win and had Murphy tapped in from 4 yards we would all say what a fantastic performance.

It was a really good game to watch. I didn't think we just hoofed it at all, both teams wanted to win and neither wanted to loose so you're going to be edgy and pass the odd bad ball.

Chaplow has been the best player in our side against Norwich and today and I don't think he should have gone off, but match fitness plays a key. Parr's movement was a great addition today too. Looks promising.

We could have won and we could have lost which would have been a disaster. We didn't, we're well in the hunt and if we play like that against Borough we have every chance of getting something out the game.

Remember we're still a Championship side and its not always going to be pretty.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sun Mar 08, 2015 3:35 am

JonnoTown wrote:I think there are too many negative comments post match today.

I get people are frustrated but this was the best 90 minutes we've played in a long time against a top 6 side that plays really good football. Brentford had won 4 out of the last 5 or something.

We created enough opportunities to win and had Murphy tapped in from 4 yards we would all say what a fantastic performance.

It was a really good game to watch. I didn't think we just hoofed it at all, both teams wanted to win and neither wanted to loose so you're going to be edgy and pass the odd bad ball.

Chaplow has been the best player in our side against Norwich and today and I don't think he should have gone off, but match fitness plays a key. Parr's movement was a great addition today too. Looks promising.

We could have won and we could have lost which would have been a disaster. We didn't, we're well in the hunt and if we play like that against Borough we have every chance of getting something out the game.

I think - no in fact it's clear - that many people are just pissed off rather than appearing negative. I'm reading lots of things lately about 'how other teams near us dropped points also' but really it just makes it harder to take, when you realize you haven't taken advantage.

The league table is still inviting. Still only six points from an auto place and well within reach of the play-off zone but can appreciate as much as anyone else that after a frustrating score - regardless of playing well or otherwise - you can't look beyond points lost and missed opportunity. Maybe we peaked at the wrong time or won't be able to duplicate the success of what occured before New Year but we'll continue to fight on and we're going to be involved right up until the last month of action (with something to play for)

At least with many previous seasons we never even had that. Makes a decent change instead of fumbling around mid-league in the last few weeks of the campiagn with little to fight for in any event. Magilton, Jewell, Keane, take note

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:25 am

JonnoTown wrote:I think there are too many negative comments post match today.

Well said Jonno and I agree with every word you speak. You have restored some belief in myself that I did actually see the game the way some others did too, I didnt see loads of hoofball at all and as you say had Murphy tapped in the open goal everyone would have been rejoicing in a great result and 3 points, I saw it again last night and OMG that was some shocker of a miss. As you say I actually thought we played well too and looked much better yesterday.

herforder

Post by herforder » Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:33 am

Better he missed the chance with 10 games to go and we're still in there fighting; rather than in the last game of the season where a win would secure a play-off spot!

larrylamb
Location: Poole (dorset) with work !!! most of the time or Ipswich at Home..!!

Post by larrylamb » Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:45 am

I dont know if you or any others agree but Mings seems torun with the ball until he is about 20 mtr from the box then stops.!!...then he just tinkers with the ball with little triangle passes along the touch line..annoys the hell out of me , it might be just one thing i noted once and now fixate on it...but it happens quite a bit..Parr . croos that Murph missed is more likw what is needed ..he ran with the ball moved in the across the box and would have beeen a great assist if Murph put it away..and a few of his fast runs to catch and tackle players were great from Parr...for me Mings has just not performed any where like the first half of the season..maybe just to much for a young guy..but he has overall been poor recently. ..IMO