Ipswich Town vs Brentford Match Preview

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Can we win this one?

Ipswich Win
50%
Brentford Win
6%
A Point Only
44%

Total votes: 16

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Re: Ipswich Town vs Brentford Match Preview

Post by Bluemike » Sun Mar 08, 2015 12:44 pm

Mings has been very in and out since the turn of the year, that much is true but as you say he is a young boy and it was always going to be expecting a lot for him to do a whole season which is basically what is being asked of him. As for parr he was my MOTM yesterday and made things happen, he should be being credited with an assist for the winning goal but the least said about that the better.

herforder

Post by herforder » Sun Mar 08, 2015 3:10 pm

I have accepted that we have a small, tight-knit, hard-working bunch of players, some clearly more talented than others, who MM/TC have transformed into potential play-off candidates on scant financial resources. That in itself should be applauded.

But, understandably given the compact nature of the Championship this term, folk want at least a guaranteed play-off place, and become frustrated at the team's inability to win matches that are perceived to be easily winnable. When that doesn't happen - because, as we know, those matches don't really exist - the inevitable hunt for scapegoats kicks in: be it MM's team selection, subs, tactics etc or, more often than not, identifying players to criticise - Scuse, Tabb, Smith etc. I understand that's football, and was ever thus!

The reality is, however, that we have what we have, and no amount of criticism is going to make technically limited players become those we would like them to be! I agree some individuals' limitations are obvious, but it's the sum of their parts that's got us to where we are, and it's what will, hopefully, secure us a play-off place. As for MM's performance, I believe he does get it wrong on occasions (Eg Sears yesterday), and he has that streak of Yorkshire stubbornness in his DNA; but I believe he gets far more right than wrong, and right now, he's exactly the right man for the job. More importantly, he's exactly right for the players we have, who clearly respect and give him the max. Ultimately, he sees what we see - but getting us to where we want to be is, perhaps, going to take a tad more patience: always a virtue in short supply for passionate and ambitious supporters!

So, for me, we remain on the bus and the journey's going OK. I'm prepared to stick with it, anticipating a successful outcome, although there may be the odd detour en route! However, I also expect the 'owner' to continue to provide the resources to ensure we have the maximum chance of reaching the 'Promised Land' some time soon. :)

barmy billy

Post by barmy billy » Sun Mar 08, 2015 3:51 pm

herforder wrote:I have accepted that we have a small, tight-knit, hard-working bunch of players, some clearly more talented than others, who MM/TC have transformed into potential play-off candidates on scant financial resources. That in itself should be applauded.

But, understandably given the compact nature of the Championship this term, folk want at least a guaranteed play-off place, and become frustrated at the team's inability to win matches that are perceived to be easily winnable. When that doesn't happen - because, as we know, those matches don't really exist - the inevitable hunt for scapegoats kicks in: be it MM's team selection, subs, tactics etc or, more often than not, identifying players to criticise - Scuse, Tabb, Smith etc. I understand that's football, and was ever thus!

The reality is, however, that we have what we have, and no amount of criticism is going to make technically limited players become those we would like them to be! I agree some individuals' limitations are obvious, but it's the sum of their parts that's got us to where we are, and it's what will, hopefully, secure us a play-off place. As for MM's performance, I believe he does get it wrong on occasions (Eg Sears yesterday), and he has that streak of Yorkshire stubbornness in his DNA; but I believe he gets far more right than wrong, and right now, he's exactly the right man for the job. More importantly, he's exactly right for the players we have, who clearly respect and give him the max. Ultimately, he sees what we see - but getting us to where we want to be is, perhaps, going to take a tad more patience: always a virtue in short supply for passionate and ambitious supporters!

So, for me, we remain on the bus and the journey's going OK. I'm prepared to stick with it, anticipating a successful outcome, although there may be the odd detour en route! However, I also expect the 'owner' to continue to provide the resources to ensure we have the maximum chance of reaching the 'Promised Land.
some time soon. :)
I love your last.sentence, which I presume it is meant to be funny? 'continue to provide .........', well he's certainly provided a hell of a lot so far this season, hasn't he!

herforder

Post by herforder » Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:02 pm

barmy billy wrote:
herforder wrote:I have accepted that we have a small, tight-knit, hard-working bunch of players, some clearly more talented than others, who MM/TC have transformed into potential play-off candidates on scant financial resources. That in itself should be applauded.

So, for me, we remain on the bus and the journey's going OK. I'm prepared to stick with it, anticipating a successful outcome, although there may be the odd detour en route! However, I also expect the 'owner' to continue to provide the resources to ensure we have the maximum chance of reaching the 'Promised Land.
some time soon. :)
I love your last.sentence, which I presume it is meant to be funny? 'continue to provide .........', well he's certainly provided a hell of a lot so far this season, hasn't he!
Spot on, Billy. Tongue firmly in cheek, for that bit! :wink:
Although I do acknowledge that without him we might not be having these exchanges.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Mar 08, 2015 6:21 pm

Where does the 5 million come from every year just to keep the club afloat ? I can't remember.

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:03 pm

:shock: Wigan's James Mclean to the rescue???????????????? at £20k a week yeh I can see that happening, not, he's good but I cant see him arriving on loan unless his wage demands come down, do we need him, when we have Stewart or Connolly sitting waiting to exploit their wide talents, and can you see Mick dropping one his tiny favourites, nah nor me, good reading in the Sun on Sunday though

herforder

Post by herforder » Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:15 pm

ashfordblue wrote::shock: Wigan's James Mclean to the rescue???????????????? at £20k a week yeh I can see that happening, not, he's good but I cant see him arriving on loan unless his wage demands come down, do we need him, when we have Stewart or Connolly sitting waiting to exploit their wide talents, and can you see Mick dropping one his tiny favourites, nah nor me, good reading in the Sun on Sunday though
It would truly be liberation day for moths should he arrive! Why would Wigan want/allow him to go out on loan - given their struggles? Wages too high/create headroom to bring someone else in? Don't get it.

Probably no more than journalistic doodling. But.....should we prepare to be amazed! :wink:

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:57 pm

herforder wrote:
ashfordblue wrote::shock: Wigan's James Mclean to the rescue???????????????? at £20k a week yeh I can see that happening, not, he's good but I cant see him arriving on loan unless his wage demands come down, do we need him, when we have Stewart or Connolly sitting waiting to exploit their wide talents, and can you see Mick dropping one his tiny favourites, nah nor me, good reading in the Sun on Sunday though
It would truly be liberation day for moths should he arrive! Why would Wigan want/allow him to go out on loan - given their struggles? Wages too high/create headroom to bring someone else in? Don't get it.

Probably no more than journalistic doodling. But.....should we prepare to be amazed! :wink:
Is that when stores abolish all fly swatters ?

You're right about the loan issue though. If clubs are allowing players to be loaned out elsewhere, doesn't that tell you something. A club doesn't let a player go out without a valid reason.

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:27 am

I don't remember when a newspaper correctly anticipated a MM transfer move to be honest.............. :wink:

J4ck22

Post by J4ck22 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:54 am

You do know that Stewart's not even fit right? Also you know close to f*ck all about Connolly, so stop calling for him to play. It's like Marriott all over again.

rossi

Post by rossi » Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:33 pm

J4ck22 wrote:
You do know that Stewart's not even fit right? Also you know close to f*ck all about Connolly, so stop calling for him to play. It's like Marriott all over again.
I think that the point being made was why do we need to bring in a winger when we have 2 sitting on the bench who never get played.
You are right in your assertion that f all is known about Connolly - a situation that is likely to remain if he is never going to get a run out don't you think? ;)

J4ck22

Post by J4ck22 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 3:47 pm

rossi wrote:
J4ck22 wrote:
I think that the point being made was why do we need to bring in a winger when we have 2 sitting on the bench who never get played.
You are right in your assertion that f all is known about Connolly - a situation that is likely to remain if he is never going to get a run out don't you think? ;)
If he's not getting in the team then it's pretty safe to assume that he's not ready. He has to convince the manager before convincing us. I'd also bet that Stewart would be playing a lot more if he was fit, but he's been injured most of the season.

barmy billy

Post by barmy billy » Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:21 pm

You obviously think every thing in the garden is rosy then J4?

J4ck22

Post by J4ck22 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:49 pm

barmy billy wrote:You obviously think every thing in the garden is rosy then J4?
No. Just that most of the generic complaints people make don't really make sense.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:13 pm

J4ck22 wrote:
barmy billy wrote:You obviously think every thing in the garden is rosy then J4?
No. Just that most of the generic complaints people make don't really make sense.
Okay, I'm sorry but I can't agree with jack at all. Why the fk are Connolly and Stewart and Henshall even in the squad then?! MM SIGNED ALL 3, SO WHAT'S THAT SAY ABOUT MM? Christ, what's your solution then Jack? What do you think needs to change since apparently your omniscient when it comes to ITFC!

number 9

Post by number 9 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:28 pm

number 9 wrote:
J4ck22 wrote:
Okay, I'm sorry but I can't agree with jack at all. Why the fk are Connolly and Stewart and Henshall even in the squad then?! MM SIGNED ALL 3, SO WHAT'S THAT SAY ABOUT MM? Christ, what's your solution then Jack? What do you think needs to change since apparently your omniscient when it comes to ITFC!
BTW, Stewart just scored for the U21s!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:30 pm

Alex Henshall came on at Derby antd helped to change the game that day, not long after that MM openly said that Henshall has to improve ither aspects of his game like tracking back and defending to help the fullback, he also said his tackling at times was wayward and he has a tendancy to dangle a foot that can be very open to giving away free kicks, penalties you name it. One thing we can say about the likes of Jay tabb and paul Anderson is that they do get back to protect Chambers, Mings etc, if they were always left exposed we would be torn to shreds.

Cameron Stewart was very unfortunate to pick up 2 or 3 injuries early into his Town career and as such has never got going, only a few weeks ago MM came out in the press and told us all that he had taken Stewart aside and identified to the player what he needed to do to get anywhere near the first team picture, clearly this is not happening and as such MM does not feel it right to select him, there is no mystery as much as some would like to create one, flair players will always look just that, flash and at times exciting, but it is the work that the likes of Jay Tabb & Cloe Skuse do that always goes unnoticed but invariably stops us getting a pasting and with our defence that could quite easily happen.

Dylan Connolly is a young, inexperienced lad who has come over to a new country 5 minutes ago and as has been said we know nothingabout him at all , how can he be expected to be playing already ? I could just see the comments now if MM were to put him in and we got taken apart, it would hardly do anything for the kids confidence either, he will be blooded in the right way at the right time, just as Bishop has been, this is a long term plan with these kids.

Number 9, what it says about MM is that he has the future of out club firmly to the fore of his thoughts which I for one am over the moon about, there are others kids being taken to games with the first team squad too and it is great to see, we should be pleased about this in my book.

J4ck22

Post by J4ck22 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:34 pm

number 9 wrote:
J4ck22 wrote:
Connolly and Henshall are young, they aren't gonna be thrown into the team if they aren't quite up to it and need more development. i've also said about 385729 times that Stewart has been injured for most of the season. I'm not as omniscient as those who claim that Mick refuses to pick them because they're not Tabb because that's a stupid assumption to make. My solution is to use some common sense and look at the bigger picture. We're 7th in the league and there's just as many complaining and bitching about every little thing than there was when we were bottom of this hell hole. It's boring as hell to listen to.

Everyone called out for us to sign Chris Wood, then they go and f**king boo McCarthy for bringing him on for Sears who wasn't even having a great game. Logic.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:54 pm

I understand Jack and Mike's comments, but I'm not suggesting we start the youngsters...I'm saying give them 15 mins here or there, so they can get some first team experience. That's what happened with Bish and by and large that got him into the first team. We need some semblance of depth to ever get promoted, so if MM is looking to the future then let's get the bloody ball rolling!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:55 pm

Everyone called out for us to sign Chris Wood, then they go and f**king boo McCarthy for bringing him on for Sears
An excellent point actually Jack, double standards by Town fans ???? Surely not LOL.

J4ck22

Post by J4ck22 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:01 pm

number 9 wrote:I understand Jack and Mike's comments, but I'm not suggesting we start the youngsters...I'm saying give them 15 mins here or there, so they can get some first team experience. That's what happened with Bish and by and large that got him into the first team. We need some semblance of depth to ever get promoted, so if MM is looking to the future then let's get the bloody ball rolling!
Bish got the opportunity because he obviously earned it, so I think that if the others deserve to, then that's when we'll see them featured.

rossi

Post by rossi » Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:32 pm

J4ck22 wrote:
Connolly and Henshall are young, they aren't gonna be thrown into the team if they aren't quite up to it and need more development. i've also said about 385729 times that Stewart has been injured for most of the season. I'm not as omniscient as those who claim that Mick refuses to pick them because they're not Tabb because that's a stupid assumption to make. My solution is to use some common sense and look at the bigger picture. We're 7th in the league and there's just as many complaining and bitching about every little thing than there was when we were bottom of this hell hole. It's boring as hell to listen to.

Everyone called out for us to sign Chris Wood, then they go and f**king boo McCarthy for bringing him on for Sears who wasn't even having a great game. Logic.
Not everybody was calling for us to sign Wood. I certainly wasn't, and I've not seen anything from him so far that would cause me to change my mind. And whether or not Sears was having a poor game (incidentally, I thought he did better than Murphy), Murphy and Wood are too similar to be effective together. Maybe that's why people booed.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:46 pm

It would seem the Middlesbrough game coming up next will be featured on Sky Sports, with a 12.15 start. Make of it what you will but first impression, was unprintable. Sorry didn't know where else to include it, just thought some may not be aware.

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:36 pm

SJ Boro are on a similar run to ours with 7 points from the last 6 games. It should be an interesting game indeed.