Rumours Thread.

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

TODD66
Posting Game Moderator

Re: Rumours Thread.

Post by TODD66 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:37 pm

bluemike wrote:
Three English clubs are plotting a move for young Preston North End centre midfielder Josh Brownhill.

The midfielder, currently on loan at Barnsley, is said to be receiving interest from Ipswich Town, Fulham and Bristol City.

Brownhill was originally part of the Manchester United youth setup but then joined the Preston academy in which he had a very successful time.
Expect to see the young man wearing white or red next season then :wink:

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:28 pm

TODD66 wrote:
bluemike wrote:
Three English clubs are plotting a move for young Preston North End centre midfielder Josh Brownhill.

The midfielder, currently on loan at Barnsley, is said to be receiving interest from Ipswich Town, Fulham and Bristol City.

Brownhill was originally part of the Manchester United youth setup but then joined the Preston academy in which he had a very successful time.
Expect to see the young man wearing white or red next season then :wink:

Could be another Danny Drinkwater then, if this were to be the case I'd be really happy to see the lad at Portman Road

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:31 pm

I hear Arsenal are likely to release Theo Walcott in the summer, now he would be a decent signing and give us pace and score a few goals. :lol: :lol: :lol:

herforder

Post by herforder » Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:58 am

Charnwood wrote:I hear Arsenal are likely to release Theo Walcott in the summer, now he would be a decent signing and give us pace and score a few goals. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Put this in ME's ''highly likely' category, then! :wink:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:14 pm

I think if Ipswich Town Football Club & Mevans have any aspirations at all of making it to the "Promised Land", need to be looking at bit better quality than Theo Walcott. (Exclamation mark x 4 plus smileys)

Seriously though......., you just know that Walcott is class when an iPhone predicts "Walcott" after you've typed "Wal". Well, either that or my son is regularly on the text about the gooners!

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sat Apr 23, 2016 2:06 pm

Straight from the 'Oarse's mouth:

Regarding his Town exit, he added: “At this stage in my career I wasn’t really getting the opportunities at Ipswich, and with the style of play and all these other factors, I couldn’t see myself being successful there."

Funny...Frans Thijseen said something very similar about the 'style of play'.

How dare I question MM's tactics! :D

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:39 pm

Remind me where has Tommy Oar been successful again ? I suppose at 24 years old he still has time to achieve something in the game.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:00 am

bluemike wrote:Remind me where has Tommy Oar been successful again ? I suppose at 24 years old he still has time to achieve something in the game.
Well he was successful enough to catch MM's eye haha! I'm not really bothered though; I'm just having a laugh. I think you agree MM needs to adjust our style of play in order to be more competitive. I just hope we're able to attract a few creative players for next season. COYB!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:11 am

He could well have done well for us but apparently wasn't up for the fight which is a shame.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sun Apr 24, 2016 1:03 pm

bluemike wrote:He could well have done well for us but apparently wasn't up for the fight which is a shame.
Yeah I'm still baffled about that...his highlight videos made him look brilliant. He's probably a bit too sensitive for MM's personality. You know how those Aussies and Kiwis are? (cue Frosty's furrowed eyebrows) :lol:

number 9

Post by number 9 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 4:06 pm

http://footballleagueworld.co.uk/ipswic ... st-target/

I know it's the Sun, but I have to admit I'd love to see Poyet as ITFC manager. The 'MM to Villa' banter is beginning to get louder. Funny...all those times people said who would replace MM...I never thought about Poyet.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:28 pm

number 9 wrote:http://footballleagueworld.co.uk/ipswic ... st-target/

I know it's the Sun, but I have to admit I'd love to see Poyet as ITFC manager. The 'MM to Villa' banter is beginning to get louder. Funny...all those times people said who would replace MM...I never thought about Poyet.

Said exactly those two only a couple of weeks ago.....wouldnt be upset with that tbh...but suspect its a load of old cobblers!

herforder

Post by herforder » Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:35 pm

hallamblue wrote:

Said exactly those two only a couple of weeks ago.....wouldnt be upset with that tbh...but suspect its a load of old cobblers!
MM now 6th choice for the Villa job - alegedly!

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:41 pm

Not a great fan of Poyet myself. Anyhow, I fully expect Evans to continue the policy that has been in place under Mick with regards to strengthening the squad and would be surprised if Poyet would agree to that.

As you say it is the Sun and I still believe Mick will be in charge come the start of the new season in August.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:56 pm

Not in favor of Poyet as a potential candidate. Not enough managerial experience for one thing and if we're really going to achieve something in the future I'd be targeting names such as Warnock, Pardew or Bruce.

Are these not realistic targets ? Warnock is too good for Rotherham and may decide a better challenge when time arises, Pardew has done a very good job with Crystal Palace and has achieved some significant feats with other teams, and Bruce is a name widely recognized and admired, with some near 20 years of managerial experience.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:53 am

Poyet would never work on our type of budget, not even an option, and besides we have a perfectly good manager just in need of some funds like the 23 other managers in this division get.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed May 18, 2016 6:24 pm

WTD understands that Town are continuing to pursue their interest in Southend United midfielder Jack Payne.

A report yesterday claimed Huddersfield were the close to landing the highly-rated 21-year-old but we understand the Blues are also still very much in the hunt with manager Mick McCarthy keen to add goals to his midfield.

Wolves and Dutch side Sparta Rotterdam have also been linked with Payne, who will be out of contract at the end of the season and seems certain to leave Roots Hall having failed to agree new terms, while Bristol City and Millwall are also interested.

As Payne is under 24 years of age Southend would be due compensation from his new club, a figure either agreed between the sides or by a tribunal. According to the Southend Echo, Huddersfield and Sparta are the only ones to have contacted the Shrimpers so far, although sides can speak to the player without having sought permission from his current club.

In March, TWTD reported that Town boss McCarthy was spotted at Roots Hall watching the League One game between Southend and Crewe Alexandra in which Payne scored a last-minute penalty as the sides drew 1-1.

The 5ft 5in tall attacking midfielder was released by Tottenham as a schoolboy and subsequently joined the Shrimpers.

Having come through the Essex club’s youth system Payne, who can play centrally, wide or up front, broke into the senior side at the start of the 2013/14 season.

Since then the Londoner has gone on to make 52 starts and 35 sub appearances, scoring 17 goals, nine of them during 2015/16.
I think I would be quite happy with this, don't know a great deal about him but have read positive things, for me this is the type of target we should be looking at.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Wed May 18, 2016 6:37 pm

bluemike wrote:
WTD understands that Town are continuing to pursue their interest in Southend United midfielder Jack Payne.

A report yesterday claimed Huddersfield were the close to landing the highly-rated 21-year-old but we understand the Blues are also still very much in the hunt with manager Mick McCarthy keen to add goals to his midfield.

Wolves and Dutch side Sparta Rotterdam have also been linked with Payne, who will be out of contract at the end of the season and seems certain to leave Roots Hall having failed to agree new terms, while Bristol City and Millwall are also interested.

As Payne is under 24 years of age Southend would be due compensation from his new club, a figure either agreed between the sides or by a tribunal. According to the Southend Echo, Huddersfield and Sparta are the only ones to have contacted the Shrimpers so far, although sides can speak to the player without having sought permission from his current club.

In March, TWTD reported that Town boss McCarthy was spotted at Roots Hall watching the League One game between Southend and Crewe Alexandra in which Payne scored a last-minute penalty as the sides drew 1-1.

The 5ft 5in tall attacking midfielder was released by Tottenham as a schoolboy and subsequently joined the Shrimpers.

Having come through the Essex club’s youth system Payne, who can play centrally, wide or up front, broke into the senior side at the start of the 2013/14 season.

Since then the Londoner has gone on to make 52 starts and 35 sub appearances, scoring 17 goals, nine of them during 2015/16.
I think I would be quite happy with this, don't know a great deal about him but have read positive things, for me this is the type of target we should be looking at.
Yes! I was pleased to see that.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed May 18, 2016 9:37 pm

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat May 21, 2016 11:02 am

Town are reportedly facing competition for ex-loanee Liam Feeney from Birmingham City and other Championship clubs. The 29-year-old is out of contract this summer having not been offered new terms by relegated Bolton Wanderers.

According to the Bolton News the Midlanders are among a number of other sides interested in the winger with wages said to be a sticking point in his negotiations with Town.

Speaking on the final day of the season, manager Mick McCarthy confirmed that the Blues were in talks with Feeney, who joined Town on loan in March and made seven starts and two sub appearances, scoring once, regarding a permanent deal.

“We’re talking to him and we’re talking to his agent,” he said. “I’d like him to stay and he would like to stay and if we can come to a mutually beneficial deal then that’s what will happen. If we don’t, then we won’t.”
On his day he would be a very good signing, his delivery is great. I have heard he was on silly money at Bolton that we just would not pay.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat May 21, 2016 12:24 pm

bluemike wrote:
Town are reportedly facing competition for ex-loanee Liam Feeney from Birmingham City and other Championship clubs. The 29-year-old is out of contract this summer having not been offered new terms by relegated Bolton Wanderers.

According to the Bolton News the Midlanders are among a number of other sides interested in the winger with wages said to be a sticking point in his negotiations with Town.

Speaking on the final day of the season, manager Mick McCarthy confirmed that the Blues were in talks with Feeney, who joined Town on loan in March and made seven starts and two sub appearances, scoring once, regarding a permanent deal.

“We’re talking to him and we’re talking to his agent,” he said. “I’d like him to stay and he would like to stay and if we can come to a mutually beneficial deal then that’s what will happen. If we don’t, then we won’t.”
On his day he would be a very good signing, his delivery is great. I have heard he was on silly money at Bolton that we just would not pay.
Hope we don't spend too much time on this. Offer him something ..... take it or leave it. He's looking for his last big payday and we need players who want to take us forward...... not more 30 year olds sitting on improved contracts. If he takes a pay cut then we know he wants to be here.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat May 21, 2016 1:30 pm

Feeney is not SO good that we should break the wage structure for him. If he doesnt like whats on offer move on and "cheerio"!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat May 21, 2016 4:21 pm

Agree with the last 2 posts and that is exactly what Mick will do for sure.

herforder

Post by herforder » Sat May 21, 2016 7:06 pm

No way do we want to enter into an agent driven bidding war. Accept what we can afford for what we're buying, or move on. (But supporters should not then complain about ME's lack of investment etc)!

rossi

Post by rossi » Sun May 22, 2016 7:47 am

He's had an offer from us, and by all accounts turned it down.
That's it, then: tell him to sod off.
He's not nearly as good as he obviously thinks he is - sure he ran rings around us but that's more to do with our terrible slow defending rather than him being really tricky.

Andym

Post by Andym » Sun May 22, 2016 8:26 am

rossi wrote:He's had an offer from us, and by all accounts turned it down.
That's it, then: tell him to sod off.
He's not nearly as good as he obviously thinks he is - sure he ran rings around us but that's more to do with our terrible slow defending rather than him being really tricky.
Have to agree. In is time with us hes been far too inconsistent.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun May 22, 2016 11:04 am

herforder wrote:No way do we want to enter into an agent driven bidding war. Accept what we can afford for what we're buying, or move on. (But supporters should not then complain about ME's lack of investment etc)!
Exactly but they bloody well will.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun May 22, 2016 11:20 am

bluemike wrote:
herforder wrote:No way do we want to enter into an agent driven bidding war. Accept what we can afford for what we're buying, or move on. (But supporters should not then complain about ME's lack of investment etc)!
Exactly but they bloody well will.
It's spending whatever cash we have wisely that could be the key.

Could be spending that little bit more on an ageing, fringe player like Feeney is more wasteful than spending far more on a younger, hungrier player with potential and with future sell-on value.

It's easy after the event, but we spent money last year on improved contracts for 30- something players who were not able to repeat the performances of the previous year.

That's why I hope we freshen up the squad even if we have to spend more consolidation years in the Championship. This team seemed to run out of ideas after Christmas and 7th place was a bit generous tbh.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun May 22, 2016 11:59 am

But surely you finish where you deserve to finish ? Last year we were lucky to finish 6th by all accounts and now we are lucky to finiah 7th ? I don 't buy all that nonsense, you finish where you deserve to finish after 46 games. If we were lucky last time around because Derby imploded then Sheff Wed are lucky this time around because we did the same.

phily bon bon

Post by phily bon bon » Thu May 26, 2016 1:17 pm

Ipswich Town are interested in NEC winger Anthony Limbombe. The former Belgian U19 international has been recommended to Mick McCarthy by former ITFC player, Frans Thijssen. Limbombe can play on both flanks and also off the striker. He would command a fee of between €700,000 and €1.5m.

From a rumour site i visit time to time.