Rumours Thread.

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Andym

Re: Rumours Thread.

Post by Andym » Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:23 pm

hallamblue wrote:tbh I wasn't that enthralled by him. There's better about.
I agree. I remember the Wolves away game where the fans were screaming for him to take someone on, get down the line and put a cross in. The only time he took anyone on was towards the end, in his own half, where he lost the ball and could easily have given away a goal (except of course that Wolves were even more inept than us that day).

Some decent moments for us but as you say, Hallam, nothing special.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:15 pm

Andym wrote:
hallamblue wrote:tbh I wasn't that enthralled by him. There's better about.
I agree. I remember the Wolves away game where the fans were screaming for him to take someone on, get down the line and put a cross in. The only time he took anyone on was towards the end, in his own half, where he lost the ball and could easily have given away a goal (except of course that Wolves were even more inept than us that day).

Some decent moments for us but as you say, Hallam, nothing special.

You hit the nail on the head Andy!
Feeney rarely took defenders on because on a one to one chase with the ball, his legs had IMO gone. And defender with half and ounce of pace, often dealt with him. A player will know when another player has the edge over him, so wouldnt try to take them on. I honestly dont think we will miss him.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:44 pm

Right, come on now. Let's hear these opinions BEFORE the event, people. Why did no one speak up that he's a load of pish before his decision to go to Blackburn?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:40 pm

I liked him as a player and was hopeful he would sign, his delivery into the box from corners etc was better than anything we have had for a long long time so I don 't understand the sudden negative views on him, the fact he has turned into just another money grabbing b*stard after virtually agreeing to sign for us makes me just think good riddance.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:06 am

Maybe unfair to berate the kid given he only made a handful of appearances, if that. Good enough if his duration at the club had been for a substantial amount of time and he had proved ineffective or a regrettable acquisition over time, but on the basis of appearances made, feel it somewhat unjust to castigate the individual as the route some have taken.

Add to that, one user put it that he's most likely headed for a team (Blackburn Rovers) going nowhere. Yeah, we've made some outstanding inroad ourselves the past twelve months and the immediate future is one of great promise.. Get real.

So the kid (also) takes up the opportunity of better salary or more lucrative offer with another employer ? What's unique about that. Everyone's in it for the money, and while can appreciate a level of disdain regards the decision, bottom line another example (if needed) where someone's out to make a better life for themselves.

Andym

Post by Andym » Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:47 am

To reply to some of the above:
I agree with St. Jude, you can't blame him for going for the best offer and Blackburn are just as likely (if not more so) to succeed than Ipswich.
I agree with Bluemike about his set pieces but he seemed a bit of a one trick pony with a step over and after his first couple of appearances did little else.
Regarding Marko's comment: I was going to post at length after several games including the Wolves one, pointing out how diabolical McCarthy's tactics were but decided against it as I really can't be arsed any more to argue with those who think the fault lies entirely with a lack of investment. The 11 selected that day at Wolves could have won easily. The formation they played in guaranteed failure. But that's in the past now so I won't explain any further.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:26 pm

Andy , it will be interesting to see what MM does tactically this season especially if we have youngsters starting to break through and hopefully the return of McGoldrick / Bishop to the midfield..... fingers crossed

rossi

Post by rossi » Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:53 pm

marko69 wrote:Right, come on now. Let's hear these opinions BEFORE the event, people. Why did no one speak up that he's a load of pish before his decision to go to Blackburn?
I think I did say in an earlier discussion that I didn't rate him much.

Can't blame him for taking a better offer though - I do not see how that makes him a 'money grabbing tit' (sorry, Mike, but he's just human).

For me it's the wider implications that are somewhat worrying n- we lose out on a player we wanted to sign because he had a better offer from a rival club, and it now seems we are looking at a player who is so good that his present Div1 club do not want to retain him. We all know the last player we signed of that ilk - Giles Coke did not impress on trial with Blackburn only to be snapped up by us - doesn't bode too well in my book.

herforder

Post by herforder » Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:20 pm

saint jude wrote:Maybe unfair to berate the kid given he only made a handful of appearances, if that. Good enough if his duration at the club had been for a substantial amount of time and he had proved ineffective or a regrettable acquisition over time, but on the basis of appearances made, feel it somewhat unjust to castigate the individual as the route some have taken.

Add to that, one user put it that he's most likely headed for a team (Blackburn Rovers) going nowhere. Yeah, we've made some outstanding inroad ourselves the past twelve months and the immediate future is one of great promise.. Get real.

So the kid (also) takes up the opportunity of better salary or more lucrative offer with another employer ? What's unique about that. Everyone's in it for the money, and while can appreciate a level of disdain regards the decision, bottom line another example (if needed) where someone's out to make a better life for themselves.
Yes, it's about money. And the progress made by MM, on virtually NO MONEY following the disasters that were Keane and Jewell, represents real progress - albeit not enough for some. This applies not just on the pitch, but across all areas of the club. Of course it depends where short-term expectations lie, and how 'progress' - and potential to sustain it - is assessed. Nothing known about Blackburn's recent history, or likely future, persuades me that they are likely to finish above us next season. Feeney, of course, will be linking up with Owen Coyle - who he will have played for at Bolton.

You takes the money and makes your choice!

herforder

Post by herforder » Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:26 pm

Dooh! Once is enough!

herforder

Post by herforder » Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:41 pm

hallamblue wrote:Andy , it will be interesting to see what MM does tactically this season especially if we have youngsters starting to break through and hopefully the return of McGoldrick / Bishop to the midfield..... fingers crossed
Hopefully, despite Feeney's decision, MM will be able to bring in either a couple of permanent, or season-long quality loanees, with width and pace. If successful and, as you say, added to existing talent, would hopefully shape future tactics in a positive way. Moving on from the 'pragmatic' stuff that was so frustrating last season. Time will tell!

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:44 pm

Pragmatic? Is that how they play football in the Czech Republic?

herforder

Post by herforder » Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:55 pm

marko69 wrote:Pragmatic? Is that how they play football in the Czech Republic?
:D
Their star player is Chestycough!

herforder

Post by herforder » Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:56 pm

marko69 wrote:Pragmatic? Is that how they play football in the Czech Republic?
:D
Their star player is Chestycough!

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:04 pm

Yes........, he plays alongside Russian superstar, Blockin Eustacian tubov?!

herforder

Post by herforder » Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:12 pm

marko69 wrote:Yes........, he plays alongside Russian superstar, Blockin Eustacian tubov?!
Enough, enough!

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:49 pm

Apologies. Was at docs the other week, sore ears, underneath ear lobes etc. Ears clear,...,,,, doc: "hmmm, yes, could be blocked Eustacian tubes!"
Been breathing menthol crystals for weeks. It's going to ma heid!!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:55 pm

herforder wrote:
saint jude wrote:Maybe unfair to berate the kid given he only made a handful of appearances, if that. Good enough if his duration at the club had been for a substantial amount of time and he had proved ineffective or a regrettable acquisition over time, but on the basis of appearances made, feel it somewhat unjust to castigate the individual as the route some have taken.

Yes, it's about money. And the progress made by MM, on virtually NO MONEY following the disasters that were Keane and Jewell, represents real progress - albeit not enough for some. This applies not just on the pitch, but across all areas of the club. Of course it depends where short-term expectations lie, and how 'progress' - and potential to sustain it - is assessed. Nothing known about Blackburn's recent history, or likely future, persuades me that they are likely to finish above us next season. Feeney, of course, will be linking up with Owen Coyle - who he will have played for at Bolton.

You takes the money and makes your choice!
Agree completely with this post. How anyone can say we have not made progress beggars belief, also there is absolutely nothing to indicate Blackburn have a cat in hells chance of progressing better than us, quite the opposeite for me but I guess time will tell.

As for Feeney he has opted for a better financial offer so my opinion of that is spot on, a money grabber, and a bit of a tit too for saying he was signing for us and then going back on it, why say anything at all ? I think the fact he lives just down the road may have had something to do with it too which I can kinda understand what with not having to potentially uproot any family he may have.

As for the possible signing of Freeman what is wrong with that ? All I have read for two years is how we need a proper RB and that we should be looking at the lower leagues for bargains and gems, when we don't MM is maligned and when we do he is still wrong, who is to say Freeman won't prove to be a good signing ? I don't seem to recall too many in for Freddie Sears when he was languishing at Colchester after his career had taken a nosedive, sometimes you have to go backwards to go forwards, Sears did just that and maybe Freeman will be the same. The guy is young (24), is an attacking RB which we all crave and by all accounts the Pompey boss Paul Cook is very keen to sign him, the self same pompey boss who every Town fan was lauding over for dumping us out of the FA Cup with a great set of talented players, maybe Cook is a bit of an arse too now then ? Give MM some time for crying out loud, we don't even know if there is any substance to the story but already the negativity surrounding it has started.

herforder

Post by herforder » Tue Jun 14, 2016 5:41 pm

marko69 wrote:Apologies. Was at docs the other week, sore ears, underneath ear lobes etc. Ears clear,...,,,, doc: "hmmm, yes, could be blocked Eustacian tubes!"
Been breathing menthol crystals for weeks. It's going to ma heid!!
Poor bugger - hope you're on the mend! I once spent yonks chewing some funny tasting mint imperials - turned out to be small moth balls! Cleared the heid though!

Andym

Post by Andym » Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:05 pm

bluemike wrote: How anyone can say we have not made progress beggars belief.
I can't see where anyone said that. But I would still maintain that the squad he had could have performed better with different tactics.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:32 pm

Unfortunately Andy there are numerous posts regarding our lack of progress, it was all that was being said at the back end of last season. I wouldn't argue with the tactics thing though.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:55 pm

Considering we finished lower than we did last season, I would probably describe our overall performance as a lack of progress. We do appear to be progressing as an organization to a degree albeit at the speed of a drunk tortoise. :wink:

I don't have a problem at all with Freeman. I've always said we should be looking in the lower leagues if our funds continue to be limited. It's not where you get the player, it's the vetting of a player that counts more. I should think Knudsen is a good example of that. He started off slow, but seemed to improve toward the end of the season. MM/TC/Scouts et al must have believed in the young Dane's ability. The same must be true for Freddie...have to admit I'd never heard of him. Of course there's no guarantees...the Pole defender for example.

As far as Feeney, it's a bit concerning that we lost out to Blackburn financially especially with the post season promises of providing funds for MM's needs...but I'm sure MM didn't think Feeney was worth more than we offered.

herforder

Post by herforder » Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:06 pm

Not honestly sure what tactical options, relative to the squad's overall quality, depth and injuries to key players etc, MM had at his disposal, that would have led to significantly improved results. Possibly more 'entertaining', but in a tough, uncompromising league, not necessarily successful. But I guess we'll never know!

Hopefully next term, with some astute additions, and fewer injuries, he'll have more options.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:08 pm

number 9 wrote:Considering we finished lower than we did last season, I would probably describe our overall performance as a lack of progress. We do appear to be progressing as an organization to a degree albeit at the speed of a drunk tortoise. :wink:

I don't have a problem at all with Freeman. I've always said we should be looking in the lower leagues if our funds continue to be limited. It's not where you get the player, it's the vetting of a player that counts more. I should think Knudsen is a good example of that. He started off slow, but seemed to improve toward the end of the season. MM/TC/Scouts et al must have believed in the young Dane's ability. The same must be true for Freddie...have to admit I'd never heard of him. Of course there's no guarantees...the Pole defender for example.

As far as Feeney, it's a bit concerning that we lost out to Blackburn financially especially with the post season promises of providing funds for MM's needs...but I'm sure MM didn't think Feeney was worth more than we offered.
If the be all and end all is about where we finish in the league then I suppose people will have it that we did not progress but for me it is far more than that and as you say as an organization we are indeed progressing, I do disagree that it is at the speed of a drunk tortoise though lol.

I see progress in the way the academy is now starting to produce some very good kids, 3 or 4 of which broke through into the first team, I also see progress in the way the club is being run to finally produce some figures that actually showed a 5 Million profit for whatever period it was, I see progress at the training ground with the new pitches etc being installed, on the pitch I saw progress with 9 away wins last season, better than the previous season, so for me it is not all a downward spiral by any means.

If a glance at the league table is all that matters then fair ebnough but even that can be misleading, we had the guts ripped out of the team for long periods and still finished 7th despite spending nothing, I know it is going over old ground but these are facts. Competing as we did against ridiculously high parachute payments and still finishing Seventh can even display a certain amount of progress in the very fact we very nearly crept in again against all the odds when we really had no right to. Anyway moving on......

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:34 pm

Yip, nice post, Mike ^ ...., my own (getting worse with age) memory tells me that there were quite a few howling displays but as said, finishing 7th with the problems that arose for Mick, is pretty decent going.

Will Jonas Knudsen make that left back position undoubtedly his own this coming season?

herforder

Post by herforder » Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:25 am

Opportunity for progress last season was limited by minimal investment, injuries to key players and others having only average seasons - compared to play-off season performances. Our previously solid defence became suspect, whilst other teams had worked us out, and we struggled to find effective Plans B and C.

So, assuming some modest investment from ME, key players being available, getting some of the emerging talent into the squad etc should give MM more options. I would then hope for real progress - albeit, because of parachute payments and FFP, we'll never be competing on a remotely even playing field.

Nevertheless, give MM a better hand to play with, then judge the outcome.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:15 pm

Town are reported to be showing interest in Charlton Athletic winger Callum Harriott.

According to the South London Press, the Blues are set to try to tempt the Addicks with an offer for the 22-year-old, who newly-promoted Barnsley made a low six-figure bid for earlier in the summer.

Charlton, relegated to League One in May, are said to be keen to hold on to Harriott, who recently extended his contract until the summer of 2017, having turned down an offer from Wigan Athletic last year.

Norbury-born Harriott came through the youth system at The Valley, joining their academy at U9 level, and has won three England U19 caps.

The 5ft 5in tall left-sided wideman spent the first half of the season on loan at Colchester United in League One, making 22 starts and one sub appearance, scoring seven goals. Harriott has made 62 starts and 33 sub appearances for the Addicks, scoring 12 goals.

Speaking in May, manager Mick McCarthy said adding wingers to his squad is a priority this summer.

“The wide areas are an issue for us," he admitted. "We have lost Tabby [Jay Tabb]. Ainsley [Maitland-Niles] has gone back to Arsenal and obviously Ryan [Fraser] is back with Bournemouth so we need to look at that.

“Goals from midfield have been a problem for us over the last two or three years but we looked to have got on top of that with Ryan, who certainly contributed in that area. He was a real loss for us."
For me this would be a very good signing, I thought he looked the business against us and caused us problems throughout the game. The type of player and age that I think we should be going after.

herforder

Post by herforder » Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:26 pm

Now confirmed that Blackburn offered Feeney a significantly better deal than us: 2 year contract, with option for a third plus, presumably, higher wages. Also added Stokes and Graham to their ranks.

We move on, with no regrets. The Charlton lad, if we get him, is probably a better option in the longer term, and the sort of player we should be looking to bring in.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Jun 25, 2016 1:32 pm

herforder wrote:Now confirmed that Blackburn offered Feeney a significantly better deal than us: 2 year contract, with option for a third plus, presumably, higher wages. Also added Stokes and Graham to their ranks.

We move on, with no regrets. The Charlton lad, if we get him, is probably a better option in the longer term, and the sort of player we should be looking to bring in.
I am just glad we didnt get into ma bidding war and pay over the odds for Feeney. We offered what we deem him to be worth and he accepted it, the fact Blackburn are one of the worst culprits for spending way over the odds should not detract from what we are trying to do, we are doing things correctly.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:42 pm

I honestly wasn't that enthralled by him tbh. He has no pace now so rarely took his man on. Had a good cross on him but not enough pace. Let's get someone younger in.