THE EUROS

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Shed on tour

Re: THE EUROS

Post by Shed on tour » Sun Jun 26, 2016 1:02 pm

TODD66 wrote:Never mind whistling the Dam Busters and thinking about beating the Germans down the line we need to be channelling the memory of Captain Pugwash and preparing ourselves for our modern day Cod War against the mighty Iceland!

Come on boys, England expects.
When I collected my ticket in Nice yesterday the England Supporters Club official who was there said she was quite expecting to being going home on Tuesday. :lol: :lol: :lol:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Jun 26, 2016 1:45 pm

Charnwood wrote:
bluemike wrote:
marko69 wrote:I'm still in slight shock by the referendum and couldn't give a monkeys arsehole about the remainder of this tournament.
Same here Marko.
I'm with you boys, absolutely gutted.

How dim can the English public be.?

Get your Independence Marko and I'll move my English home to Scotland.... ( that's if you'll
have us of course)
Let's not be misunderstanding the meaning of Scottish independence here. Alex Salmond made it perfectly clear that Scotland's EU status would've been sustained should we voted have for independence. The 55% who voted "No" we're sh*t scared of being kicked out of the EU......., so now Scotland votes 62-38 to REMAIN, but we are f**king OUT of the EU. Bitterly disappointed.
It's political though and I apologise for bringing it to the Euro football thread.,

I was backing England in this, but now I'm hoping they are royally fuckin rammed up the ringpiece by Iceland. Mon the Icelanders.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sun Jun 26, 2016 1:58 pm

Sturgeon says Scotland could Veto Brexit....now that would be interesting. All this Brexit news is getting the Texit natives rowdy. Now the Texas Secede camp are calling for a withdrawal from the Union!

Back to footie...

I wouldn't count Iceland out, especially against England who can't seem to score. From the games I've seen so far, it does look like Germany may have the upper-hand again...even though they're not playing to their potential yet. Have to admit, it would be nice to see a different winner for a change.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Jun 26, 2016 4:46 pm

Marko, I see your outrage. I'm stunned too.

Just remember that it was a pretty slim margin and , what, 48 % wanted to remain. I bet a second vote next week would be a victory for the REMAIN party.

Just remember you, the Scots, were allowed a vote last year- not us - and we had to listen to the Scots enjoying their moment on their pedestal taking us English apart and sh*tting on us as a nation in every debate. I believe most English genuinely wanted us to remain as a union, not for financial reasons, but for sentimental reasons and because .... we kind of like you. It wasn't a comfortable victory then and more of a 'we'll put up with you a little bit longer' . Thanks... I guess we should be thankful.

Whether you like it or not..... the English are allowed a vote in this referendum. It's not just for you guys and it's democratic. 38 % of Scots want to exit the EU .... hardly a landslide ....

I don't like the outcome - like you - but at least the English put their votes where their mouths are. We've had Scots trash-talking us on every level,.... Politics, sport, etc for ever, yet when they get their vote..... they bottle out. Should have voted to leave then, but the Scots prefer to be a annoying thorn in the side rather than go it alone.

It's inevitable that the Scots will get independence and probably stay in the EU ..... so you're getting what you want.... with a bit more English- slagging as well on the way... Win- win-win ... so enjoy it like Sturgeon :)

BTW... Iceland are a good nation to support... they've done brilliantly, but they, are NOT in the EU :)

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Jun 26, 2016 6:30 pm

Hey, tang......, I'm all for democracy......, I just can't believe how thick some people are. And by that I mean both English & Scots. I still fail drastically at trying to sus out what the ACTUAL positives are by voting out. But it's done now. Over. We move on and deal with the consequences. I think you may be guilty of trying to generalise by listening to the ersehole element too much if I'm honest. There is a stereotypical Scotsman out there and every c*nt in Scotland is tarred with his brush. More people should READ the big Scottish independence book before blowing wind & pish opinions. But it is all about being democratic......, that is what our society is all about, so as said, we move on.

I like to know and understand the positives......., and bringing it back to football...... Ireland out? Ok I wanted them through but the positive is, ta ta Roy Keane.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Jun 26, 2016 6:37 pm

marko69 wrote:Hey, tang......, I'm all for democracy......, I just can't believe how thick some people are. And by that I mean both English & Scots. I still fail drastically at trying to sus out what the ACTUAL positives are by voting out. But it's done now. Over. We move on and deal with the consequences.

I like to know and understand the positives......., and bringing it back to football...... Ireland out? Ok I wanted them through but the positive is, ta ta Roy Keane.
I know . Not sure what people are voting for.

Pity about the Ireland result though .... as Iceland will now face France. Keano's a knob though and McCarthy for next manager :)

herforder

Post by herforder » Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:41 pm

Italy 1 - Espania 0.

(In the 2 days without football we're out of Europe and the PM resigned!).

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:58 pm

Appreciate the relay service but you can take your score and..

Just want the damn competition over with but for what's it worth there has been one or teams of late that have impressed by all accounts, none more so than Belgium yesterday and while disappointing to see the Irish go home, if the opposition team can take it to the final game and win the contest, then yesterday's anguish would have come at a small price. In truth if Spain don't win it now then f*ck it, so long as it's not the English, then won't care too much who takes the damn tournament. If Wales or Iceland can do it, then more power to them - just wanting to see this through and back to domestics.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:33 pm

I said before the tournament starterd that Germany would cruise it and I see nothing to change my mind, in the bag for me and they haven't even got out of first gear yet.

herforder

Post by herforder » Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:58 pm

Final score: Italy 2 - Spain 0. Thoroughly deserved win. The German's will need to be on their A game to get past the Italians on today's display. (But, as we know so well, that's what the German's do!). Keep an eye on Belgium, though.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:28 pm

herforder wrote:Final score: Italy 2 - Spain 0. Thoroughly deserved win. The German's will need to be on their A game to get past the Italians on today's display. (But, as we know so well, that's what the German's do!). Keep an eye on Belgium, though.

Italy v Belgium final for me.

Thoroughly enjoyed watching the Italy v Spain game, just hope England v Iceland can produce an interesting and exciting
game.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:22 pm

Hart is fluckin g SHYTE!

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:27 pm

Supporting England is never easy :) 2 attempts at goals.... 2 goals conceded. Hmmmmm..... Iceland have got a lot more heart.... still think we'll squeeze through :) hodgsons bum must have squeaked already and needs a change of pants.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:43 pm

If we scrape through this we need Forster in goal v France.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:44 pm

Why is it always a goal keeping error or a sending off, FFS! Come on England!

barmy billy

Post by barmy billy » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:28 pm

Can't believe what I am watching: so many misplaced passes.

herforder

Post by herforder » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:55 pm

Abject, pathetic, performance - hang your heads in shame England players. Well done Iceland, and good luck against France. Hodgson to fall on his sword. (Most dynamic man on the night for us was Rashford!)

TODD66
Posting Game Moderator

Post by TODD66 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:32 pm

Talking of Captain Pugwash.

If he had been on the pitch we would have done better.

Oh my :roll:

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:01 pm

I think Iceland started with the same team for all of their games, whereas Roy still has no idea what his best starting 11 looks like or what style we should adopt. In short he didn't have a plan, Iceland did and played with great passion.

f*ck me, beaten by a country with a population similar to Leicester and without a professional league and only one Premiership player to its name, unbelievably shameful.

Maybe we should Brexit International football.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:16 pm

Jesus f*cked, where to start. It's too bad I gave up drinking two years ago as this would have represented at least one measure of liquor. How many opportunities do the English need to achieve something ? You go back to say 1970 and look at the subsequent years and how many wasted chances the team has thrown away. That's not so much a criticism, but a fair and honest assessment. I honestly thought you'd do well this year and could have given France a game but that was an unmitigated embarrassment. People talk about when we beat you in Brazil in 1950 but today may just have reached a new level.

One good (for the supporters) that came out of it is that Hodgson is now out of employment and will join the welfare line after this but the damage has been done and in fairness you've been an average teams for years, playing a host of unrecognized names from Eastern Europe and achieving a win, but once the real work gets on, you fall like a house of cards. I'd be a liar if saying I didn't get a certain extent of pleasure out of this score but it's nothing compared to previous tournaments i.e. the loss to Italy in 2012 but times change, as does the demeanor. Bottom line it's a case of getting the result some required, a sense of relief, and moving on.

I don't know what it is with your managers, not just Hodgson, but Capello before him, MacLaren, Hoddle, Keegan - the list goes on - have all failed to deliver and blown it at major competition. I don't know who you'll bring in next but if I were English it's imperative you find someone with a bit of desire and imagination. What you may have witnessed today was what most Town supporters were subject to with McCarthy only last season. If you're not motivated to succeed at a major tournament then you're not motivated for anything.

There's little left in this competition now from many perspective so wish the remaining teams well and expect Germany to take the eventual honor. Got to take this opportunity to offer congratulations to Iceland and their endeavors this day and a repeat of Greece 2004 would be a great advert, only the chances of a duplication in this event, are in fairness, between slim and non-existent.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:51 pm

I'm not even English, or a fan, but I wouldn't be calling it unmitigated embarrassment. Regardless of the multi millionaires, Iceland are a decent side and they can play. They'd pump the USA, that's for sure. Wouldn't be surprised in the slightest to see them in the semi finals after beating France.

Saying that......., Roy done the right thing resigning because he got it overwhelmingly wrong tonight. No way Sterling should've started that game. Sturridge/Vardy to start......, then Rashford/Vardy later on......., you would've definitely been into the quarters, regardless of Rooney playing like a pub team player.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:54 am

Bloody good job I say. We give it large tournament after tournament about how we are gonna do this and do that and as usual we f*ck all. I certainly got my prediction right that we would scrap through the easiest of qualifying groups only to get dumped out in the next phase by the first half decent team we come up against only this time it was little old Iceland !!!!! Fair play to them, I was actually rooting for them such was the sh*te being dished up by us.

For the last few days we as a nation have been so condescending and arrogant, not to mention disrespectful to Iceland, listening to people it was a case of turn up to win mentality and we got slapped LOL. The perfomance was woeful, disjointed, passionless, no leadership on or off the pitch, quite what Sterling & Sturridge are about I have no idea, Clyne plays a blinder in the group stages and gets dropped LOL. The muppett has quit and good riddance too.

This is exactly why I can't be arsed with International football most of the time, we are plain rank bad it, thats why. Now this crap is over for another Four years I can prepare myself for proper football with the domestic scene restarting soon. At least we will go down in the record books as the best at the 2016 Euro's for one thing, hooliganism and thuggery.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:41 am

This has been all wrong from the start - Hodgson did not have a clue what his best team was and completely tied himself in knots by selecting Wishere and Henderson for the squad who were not fit. Sterling did not merit being in the squad, let alone the starting line up. And Rooney had to play. Not blaming Rooney for this display - but if he is an ICON - then the next manager should draw a line under his England career because we're always tied into shoe-horning someone like him into the team. Hodgson never fancied Vardy ..... it was desperation, gutless and arrogance.

Should have started with Iceland - just controlled passion and spirit who knew exactly what they were doing - defended heroically without really being put under the cosh and looked far more like scoring. If you're going to f*ck up - f*ck up badly - so you're forced into learning lessons - so no hiding place for Hodgson with a narrow loss to France - and get rid of Rooney now - he's more interested in his legacy and reputation and its holding back the development of the team. No idea about new manager... Boris Johnson?

Frosty
Forum Owner

Post by Frosty » Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:36 pm

yeah good call Tang, Boris actually beat Hodgson in taking England out of The Euro didn't he?

:wink:

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:04 pm

Should England even manage to qualify for the World Cup in 2018 I won't be going after the way we were treated in Moscow in 2007 and as for the next Euro's as they are here, there and everywhere reckon that I will be giving that a miss as well.
Will still do some qualifiers especially countries I haven't visited before such as Slovakia in September. As for last night's performance I think everything has been said already about it. Tbh I don't think whoever takes over as the new manager will make much difference as at the end of the day the players are not good enough when it comes to the crunch.
Now going to enjoy the sunshine for my remaining 5 days in the South of France.
Last edited by Shed on tour on Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:05 pm

It's pretty simple really...play the in-form players. The rest will take care of itself. f*ck experience, get the raw talent on the pitch. Hodgson was scared to use Rashford. He chose Kane over Vardy, even though Kane hasn't done sh*t. Drinkwater didn't even make the squad! But, Wilshere and Sterling did didn't they?

What makes Germany great? In form players, young and older...playing as a team. We focus too much on tactics and get lost on the black-board.

I hope the FA pick a manager who isn't scared of the FA! I hope they pick a manager who preaches the fundamentals of football: ATTACK AND DEFEND!

Good riddance, Woy! Now it's time for Rooney to resign...let's move on. Messi even resigned FFS!

Watership Down

Post by Watership Down » Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:50 pm

Let's face it England have been wandering in the wilderness for the last decade or more. Our home grown talent has demised since the Euro stars started taking over the Premiership. When there was a lack of European influence England had some decent talent..... now we have no players with a flair to do something with the ball even less a Manager with the balls to cast off the pass across the back and then back to the same player again, what a waste of time. We should be a more attacking team but we don't have the players who can break out. Absolute disgrace to themselves yesterday.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:55 pm

number 9 wrote:It's pretty simple really...play the in-form players. The rest will take care of itself. f*ck experience, get the raw talent on the pitch. Hodgson was scared to use Rashford. He chose Kane over Vardy, even though Kane hasn't done sh*t. Drinkwater didn't even make the squad! But, Wilshere and Sterling did didn't they?

What makes Germany great? In form players, young and older...playing as a team. We focus too much on tactics and get lost on the black-board.

I hope the FA pick a manager who isn't scared of the FA! I hope they pick a manager who preaches the fundamentals of football: ATTACK AND DEFEND!

Good riddance, Woy! Now it's time for Rooney to resign...let's move on. Messi even resigned FFS!
Absolutely spot on that man.

herforder

Post by herforder » Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:40 pm

For teams like Germany, Spain, Italy etc preparing for their National teams starts at grass roots level. Whilst personnel may change, the way those teams play doesn't; everyone knows their jobs within their systems, the best players for each position are selected and continuity is maintained over the generations. A tried and tested formula that's ingrained and works.

Unlike successive England regimes where, partly because of the comparatively small number of home grown players in the EPL, it almost becomes a case of throwing what we have up in the air, and hoping that something comes out right! It might work for a while, but eventually our luck runs out - as it did last night, and has so often in the past. The foundations that, say, Germany's (annoying!) success is built on, doesn't exist for us; something any England manager has to contend with from day 1 of his job. The dreaded FA is of no help!

However, last night's humiliation of the team, and most individuals within it, plumbed new depths. There are probably any number of good non-league clubs who would have made a better job of not freezing, and being able to pass the ball accurately over 5 yards!

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:48 am

:roll: Next England Manger to be Mr Gareth Southgate, makes sense he's doing ok with the under 21's, and he will rebuild with youth