THE EUROS

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

number 9

Re: THE EUROS

Post by number 9 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:26 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/timelines/z9kk39q

Difficult to read, but interesting none the less...

Watership Down

Post by Watership Down » Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:56 pm

We had players who thrive on running onto a through ball or a ball knocked over the head of defenders..... what do we do fuddle around i counted about 1 ball that Vardy had a chance to run on to but apart from that all was lost in midfield passing and the lack of crosses from either wing, that was until Rashford came on. We have nobody the likes of Kevin Keegan, Tony Currie, Alan Ball, and others who could be creative,unfortunately the players are shackled with playing the "system" and if you don't conform, you don't play. What made me mad was the lack of commitment in challenging for the ball Rooney actually backed out of a tackle.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:09 pm

Watership Down wrote:We had players who thrive on running onto a through ball or a ball knocked over the head of defenders..... what do we do fuddle around i counted about 1 ball that Vardy had a chance to run on to but apart from that all was lost in midfield passing and the lack of crosses from either wing, that was until Rashford came on. We have nobody the likes of Kevin Keegan, Tony Currie, Alan Ball, and others who could be creative,unfortunately the players are shackled with playing the "system" and if you don't conform, you don't play. What made me mad was the lack of commitment in challenging for the ball Rooney actually backed out of a tackle.
Ahem... I hate to say it, but we should have realised that certain teams would be well-organised and will park the bus. It's a bit late now, but I would have stuck Andy Carroll in the squad as a wild card for when we were desperate and wanted to pump balls into the box. Townsend should have gone as well as a bit of a wild card, because we didn't need Barclay, Wishere, Miliner, Sterling and Henderson. Selections really didn't givevmuch thought about for encountering well-drilled, defensive 'little' teams and maybe we're thinking about the 'big' nations.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:29 pm

Watership Down wrote:What made me mad was the lack of commitment in challenging for the ball Rooney actually backed out of a tackle.
With the way players hit the deck these days, Watership, wouldn't be surprised if no one tackles in 10/15 years time. I'd say three quarters of all contact these days are fouls in the refs eyes but a lot of it is born out of the recipients actions. Saying that, I think the reffing has been decent at these Euros so far.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:55 pm

I can see Iceland getting the semi finals.....if not the final. and good on em if they do. I'm rooting for them now.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:21 pm

hallamblue wrote:I can see Iceland getting the semi finals.....if not the final. and good on em if they do. I'm rooting for them now.
There's small chance the French will allow that to happen in the next game up. France lost to Greece at the same stage back in 2004 in Portugal but on home soil, with a partizan crowd, and clearly aware that they're up against a team that can cause problems, they'll equip themselves sufficiently to ensure there will be no more upset from the Iceland team. Obviously the pick of the round is Germany and Italy and while the latter always seem to win in major competition, Germany are arguably the most robust team in the competition and to put them out, you got to go some. Ireland showed that the Italians are vulnerable and with an ageing squad, you can't see them going all the way. We've seen before the host nation seeing defeat in the final game, so that leads to a German win in Paris in a short time.

One last word on the English and at a loss how your team can achieve a standout victory in Germany (and over France also) a short time before event time and then subsequently blow out with lackluster performance and the obligatory turn-up-and-fall-out over the course of a major competition. The team is something of an enigma, there's players there of potential : yet time after time it's the same sorry as* story.

And Southgate as potential team manager ? The one player with the dubious distinction of blowing England's greatest opportunity for major - no only - honor since 1966, and he's up there in the running ? Why not go with someone like Ted Howe who provided significant success at domestic level, you could do a lot worse than give it consideration.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:02 am

Something both surprising, and yet not that surprising, (if that makes any sense) is the stat that Germany have never beaten the Italians in tournament play. Played 8, 4 Italy wins, 4 draws. What makes it unsurprising is the fact that the Italians are masters at adapting style/formation within minutes to cope with any decent opposition and soak up pressure with ease.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:07 am

On news 2 minutes ago that Southgate has ruled himself out. My outside opinion is that this is good news for England. Not doubting he's working wonders with the U21s etc, ......., but regarding what many people see as a problem, (not being able to drop a "talisman") he'd pussy out and play experience over best team....., guaranteed. Can just tell by looking at him.

barmy billy

Post by barmy billy » Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:42 am

I'm surprised no-one has suggested Stuart Pearce. Another useless manager.

Watership Down

Post by Watership Down » Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:25 pm

Maybe they should go to the cemetery and dig up Alf or Winterbottom :D

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:37 pm

Give it to Big Sam.

herforder

Post by herforder » Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:11 pm

Possibility of Hoddle being brought in as interim manager; then Wenger? :wink:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:28 pm

Good thing about Hoddle getting the job, it'll keep him out of the commentary box. His wind & pish wouldn't be missed.

ipswichtownNo1

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:31 pm

Wenger would be excellent. Great upbeat team song, " the wenger bus is comming......"

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:34 pm

Looking forward to the Wales match tonight. The plan was to support the Welsh but after their players reaction to Englands defeat v Iceland I'll be rooting for a resounding Belgium victory. Come on Belgium.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:25 pm

2-1 Wales at halftime. I'm not happy about Wales cheering England's lost, but I'd still like to see a UK team go as far as possible!

herforder

Post by herforder » Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:07 pm

Putting all the stupid comments aside, Wales were magnificent against the second best team in the world. To achieve a deserved 3-1 victory, from being 1-0 down, and scoring three class goals, has to be applauded.

Players displaying all those positive qualities, and mental toughness, sadly lacking in the England squad. Can we poach Chris Colman - spot on tactics! Pity Ramsey will miss the Portugal game - but still would not rule out Ronaldo being left disappointed.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:58 pm

More than happy to eat humble pie after a performance like that, I thought they were outstanding tonight playing with lots of passion and pride notwithstanding having a plan and sticking to it. All the qualities that England lacked but I still think their gloating was unnecessary.

If they play like they did tonight in the semi's that have every chance of making it to the final, now that really would be an incedible achievement.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:42 pm

number 9 wrote:2-1 Wales at halftime. I'm not happy about Wales cheering England's lost, but I'd still like to see a UK team go as far as possible!
But it's acceptable when the English applauded and got animated when there was a victory between teams in a recent match-up ? Hindsight can be a powerful ally and it will be goddamn amusing if there's an eventual Wales / Iceland final event and the English watch on from home wondering what might have been.

In any event, they're there, the English aren't - more power to them - and got to realize that they're in with a good opportunity of reaching the final game with Portugal as next opposition, but they'll be a France or Germany waiting for them at the very end, just ready to extinguish any hope of another upset such as we saw with Denmark or Greece from previous tournament.

All those years and players of caliber - real individuals of potential - Hughes, Speed, Rush, Southall, Giggs, Saunders, even Toshack - and they never even qualified for a major competition and now they're on the verge of a European Championships Final..

Looking from an impartial standpoint, also wish Portugal well in the game in question. One of the most recognized nations of world soccer and they've never hitherto won anything significant at international level. The best opportunity ended with a bizarre loss to Greece 12 years back but now (and with all due respect to the Welsh) this represents a very good chance to go and make amends and take it to the final game. Good enough some people don't like Cristiano Ronaldo for whatever reason, but for a player of that class and stature, he deserves to win a greater prize than what he has already accomplished. Like it, don't like it, he and his team are within striking distance of their first recognized international honor.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Jul 02, 2016 8:03 am

Much as I wanted them to lose, Wales have taught us a big, big lesson.

You don't need neccasarily a big squad full of names/reputations and overblown strategies / tactics - just a tight bunch of players who know their jobs and are willing to put their bodies on the line for each other.

Good luck to them, although I have to admit I want them to lose because every win is just further embarrassment for us. Would prefer to be the bigger man.... but I cant :)

I really hope no one blames the lack of a winter break for England's demise.... because that's not affected Wales at all.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:19 am

Absolutely fantastic last night, chuffed to bits for the Welsh and hope they go on to win the thing, I felt proud for them such was the way they approached the game and for much of it took it to the Belgians. For me that is how you should show pride in playing for your country in a major competition, they were superb, when you compare that to the lacklustre bullshit we dish up decade after decade it is laughable to say the least.

Dunno what it is with us English but some seem offended by the Welsh celebrations when we got dumped out, why ?? Who do we think we are ?? I am with Saint Jude on this one, it is ok for us to do it when we beat wales, that is acceptable but offensive when they do it, good on them I say, I was bloody laughing my head off too to be honest. I wish we didnt adopt this "we are England, respect us" mentality, to be respected you have to earn respect and our load of rabble do not earn it.

Good luck Wales go and win it now, you are certainly good enough to beat a very ordinary Portugal side for sure.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:46 am

Gareth Bale aside, I am pleased for Coleman & Wales. No time for players who professionally and convincingly fall over their own feet. Bale should stick to the non cheating side of his game, because he's brilliant at it.

Wales v Italy final. Italy win. Don't put money on that though.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:02 pm

Hey Jude, f*ck Ronaldo! He deserves nothing.

herforder

Post by herforder » Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:52 pm

Germany just win on penalties - surprise, surprise! They always find a way.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:02 pm

Pelle mouthing off before his spot kick......, then misses the f**king target? Fkn complete arsehole.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sun Jul 03, 2016 1:11 am

It was brought to notice that during today's game when one of the Germans missed in the shoot-out, it was the first instance at a major competition since 1982 (3 - 3 with France, Battiston incident et al) - f**king hell, that is one standout statistic. Don't they how they have remained so consistent but they're not wrong when alluding to German efficiency.

Italy were one kick away from a semi-final at one stage but what's done is done. Finally after all the years of trying Germany have their victory at major competition but it's between them and France to take the eventual title. England out, "enjoying" the remaining games (something of a stress-free tournament) and won't favor either Wales or Portugal in their respective encounter. Despite any initial apprehension it will in truth be something of a disappointment when it's over but there are nonetheless enough games remaining to indulge in and see what occurs.

herforder

Post by herforder » Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:20 am

Wales to beat Germany on penalties in the final! :wink:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:27 am

I still havent seen anything to change my belief from day 1 that Germany would win the damn thing.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Jul 03, 2016 12:37 pm

I thought Germany were there for the taking last night. Defensively, the Italians as usual were excellent, and Buffon is still world class at 38 years old........, offensively they could've won it had Eder been partnered by someone other than Pelle; he had a shocker. The missed Italian penalties, just unbelievable, and they deserve to go out due to them alone, but I thought Germany were very lucky on the night to be going through. Can't see anyone left being able to break them down though.

herforder

Post by herforder » Sun Jul 03, 2016 3:21 pm

Muller, Ozil and Schweinsteiger all missing pens; Djokovic out of Wombledon - has the world gone completely bonkers? What next, Elvis found alive and well working in Basildon's Spud-u-Like! (Or MM signing a real RB?) :wink: