FA Cup Third Round

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

hallamblue

Re: FA Cup Third Round

Post by hallamblue » Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:26 am

Mick Mills made a very valid point yesterday when he said the sides MM puts out for the cup games are individually "up" for the game and individually put in some good performances, how these players rarely play together and therefore don't play as a "team" .

I think he has it spot on cos whenever I watch these cup games you can see there is a lack of understanding. It's no wonder the lower league teams who are pumped up and ARE a proper "team", often best us. Pompey last season outplayed us because of this and I have no doubts that Lincoln will give the Town 11 McCarthy puts out a bloody good game.

I've played many years in various levels of team sport and I can tell you it's bloody hard to play in a team where the players rarely play together. There just isnt that clear understanding between players, that your opponents will have. You play as "individuals", not as a collective "team".

This us why we gave failed to get past the 3rd round in MM reign. I doubt it will change vs Lincoln, although he has absolutely no excuse for not fielding a full strength dude. Unless he thinks we are in a relegation battle and doesn't want to risk injury to his 1st reamers!

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:59 am

hallamblue wrote:Mick Mills made a very valid point yesterday when he said the sides MM puts out for the cup games are individually "up" for the game and individually put in some good performances, how these players rarely play together and therefore don't play as a "team" .

I think he has it spot on cos whenever I watch these cup games you can see there is a lack of understanding. It's no wonder the lower league teams who are pumped up and ARE a proper "team", often best us. Pompey last season outplayed us because of this and I have no doubts that Lincoln will give the Town 11 McCarthy puts out a bloody good game.

I've played many years in various levels of team sport and I can tell you it's bloody hard to play in a team where the players rarely play together. There just isnt that clear understanding between players, that your opponents will have. You play as "individuals", not as a collective "team".

This us why we gave failed to get past the 3rd round in MM reign. I doubt it will change vs Lincoln, although he has absolutely no excuse for not fielding a full strength dude. Unless he thinks we are in a relegation battle and doesn't want to risk injury to his 1st reamers!
You make good points in that its not just individuals who are not necessarily up for it - but a bit of unfamiliarity between team members causes bad performances. I still think a few unfamiliar faces should be enough - and if they are not - then that's down to MM and TC in training .
That also brings into question MM's policy of certain individuals being guaranteed a place in the side. When a Cup Tie comes up or an injury occurs - a player comes in and any bad performance / result can be blamed on fringe players and then can be used to reinforce the mantra that certain players are indispensable from Mick. It doesn't help us long-term to develop players and other playing systems/formations.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:18 pm

it's about time that bloody big head Mills came up with a sensible point.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:10 am

But Mills does make a very sensible point I feel. Often the "teams" McCarthy. puts out for cup games are very disjointed due to unfamiliarity between the players.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:51 am

Yes that's what I mean, it's about time, well done Mick.

herforder

Post by herforder » Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:18 am

Most of U-23 games invariably include a number of 1st team regulars, and those who appear on the bench/train with main squad. Our playing staff is comparatively small, and MM/TC's training methods and team set ups are well known, so don't think lack of understanding should really be a massive problem. Quality in depth is an issue, however.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:08 pm

Town have announced the ticket prices for the third round FA Cup tie against Vanarama National League Lincoln City at Portman Road on Saturday 7th January (KO 3pm).

Adult tickets will cost £10, concessions £5 and under-16s £2, with everyone attending, including season ticket holders, required to purchase a ticket.

Blues MD Ian Milne says the club would have reduced adult prices even further had they been able to do so.

“We would have gone lower with our adult price but we have to follow FA guidelines with pricing for cup games so we have set it at the minimum,” he told the club site.

With away clubs able to take 15 per cent of a ground’s capacity in the FA Cup, the Cobbold Stand will be set aside for the Imps, who are expected to bring a significant following.

Town will also not be opening the upper tiers of the Sir Bobby Robson Stand and Sir Alf Ramsey Stand for the tie.

Season ticket holders whose regular seats are in the closed areas will be given first priority when purchasing tickets ahead of other season ticket holders. Details of the dates of sale, which will be next week, will be announced on Monday.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:41 am

Say it ever year but one more time, am grateful am old enough to see and know what it feels like to this club as winners of the competition, as there's zero chance it will ever occur again in some of our lifetimes.

Why do we even bother with cup competition ? The FA Cup is supposed to be the 'greatest knockout tournament in the world' and every year it seems we dive out at the earliest opportunity or play with a team and apathy that provides absolutely no hope of progression. This time around should see no immediate change.

No venture beyond the fifth round since 1993 if correct and even in the subsequent years we've made little impact and only going to be making up the numbers once again. You'd expect to see off an opposition team from non-league at home but then you realize who the manager is, the way we're going to go about it, and our blatant disregard for the competition in recent years. McCarthy doesn't give a damn about cup progress, that alone will set us back considerably.

Should go through at the first attempt, but after that : any participation will rest assured be short lived.

bluejacko

Post by bluejacko » Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:32 pm

After watching Lincoln in their game with Oldham,I think Danny Cowley is going to twist MM's tail in this game,this bloke could be one to watch!

phily bon bon

Post by phily bon bon » Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:43 pm

0-2 to Lincoln.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:14 am

They're non-league if correct and can't recall the last instance when a team from outside the professional leagues overcame one from the second tier in the competition but it could very well happen in a few weeks as we don't possess enough attacking capabilities. Maybe they'll take it to a replay but once again we should have it within us to overcome this opposition.

Been some surprise finalists and winners in recent years i.e. Millwall, Southampton, Wigan, Portsmouth, Crystal Palace etc, so it's not as if unfashionable clubs aren't capable of making it, but McCarthy's philosophies and the total apathy we will show towards it will see to it we're eliminated before the competition is properly underway.