Leeds United vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Anyone for a Town Win?

Leeds Win
60%
Town Win
25%
Draw
15%

Total votes: 20

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Re: Leeds United vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Charnwood » Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:54 am

Bluemike wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:56 am
We agreed to the £25 cap, in fact we suggested it, unfortunately greedy clubs like Leeds, Norwich & few more refused to go along with it so they charge what they like. It is costing me £20 to go to Reading and £26 to Millwall.
I’ve lived and worked in both Leeds and Norwich and enjoyed both cities, although Leeds was a bit of a culture shock when I first arrived at my City Centre office on a Monday morning in June 1991, in fact I moved from Norwich to Leeds. Although I went to footie matches occasionally at both grounds I could never take to either teams. I guess once a Blue always a Blue. I never quite understand people who say they used to support a team but now support another, I find that quite strange.
You know what tho boys, if Rotherham can go to Middlesbrough as they did last night pointless in all their away games and come away with a draw, Town could do the same at Leeds tonight. Do I expect that to happen, no not really but it’s not impossible.

Quasar

Post by Quasar » Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:05 pm

comeon town

£10 on at 9/1 with bet365

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:07 pm

charlton837 wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:55 am
Charnwood wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:46 am
Bluemike wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:26 am
My ticket was £37 which is ridiculous in itself but 40+ is positively obscene.

How much do Town charge visiting fans these days ?... there was a time when our prices were at the top end in the Championship for away fans but things may have changed.
I may be wrong but for most games I think its £25. They did that reciprocal agreement scheme last year which I guess they have done again this year, so if the other team agrees to £25 for our fans we do the same for theirs. Always a few unreasonable clubs who refuse to agree to a sensible pricing structure usually including Leeds, Sheff Wed and Norwich. So all our fans and theirs get stung in those games.
Sorry Charlton, we posted at virtually the same time.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:08 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:54 am
Bluemike wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:56 am
We agreed to the £25 cap, in fact we suggested it, unfortunately greedy clubs like Leeds, Norwich & few more refused to go along with it so they charge what they like. It is costing me £20 to go to Reading and £26 to Millwall.
I’ve lived and worked in both Leeds and Norwich and enjoyed both cities, although Leeds was a bit of a culture shock when I first arrived at my City Centre office on a Monday morning in June 1991, in fact I moved from Norwich to Leeds. Although I went to footie matches occasionally at both grounds I could never take to either teams. I guess once a Blue always a Blue. I never quite understand people who say they used to support a team but now support another, I find that quite strange.
You know what tho boys, if Rotherham can go to Middlesbrough as they did last night pointless in all their away games and come away with a draw, Town could do the same at Leeds tonight. Do I expect that to happen, no not really but it’s not impossible.
I don't get it either, how can you "used to have supported someone " ?? Nonsense.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:51 pm

I have a theory on this. Shoot me down if it’s bullshit.

You guys are from Ipswich. You support your local club, Ipswich Town F.C. There is no other for you.
I am from Edinburgh.
Ok, there are two clubs, but generations of my family way back to the 1920s have been Hibernian fans. There is no other for me.

And that is who we are.

BUT........ Ipswich will be loaded with Ipswich born and bred Manchester United fans...... Edinburgh is loaded with Edinburgh born and bred Celtic & Rangers fans......, they’ve no football connection with their home city. If an Edinburgh person supports Celtic or Rangers, why not Liverpool or Nott’m Forest? For me, those people are more likely to go support another club.
I actually know quite a few ex Celtic, Hibernian fans.
As many Celtic fans will joke: “Hibs fans are Celtic fans who can’t afford the train ticket to Parkhead.”
Quite funny really, but definitely not true. Tens of thousands of Hibernian fans have lived and died between the years of 1902 & 2016 and didn’t see a cup win......., but they were died in the wool Hibees.
Just like you guys should you be playing Rochdale next season.
It’s Ipswich Town, and no other.

I was hooked on ITFC about three hours prior to KO in the 1978 FA CUP FINAL....... Uncles house in London....... you guys all walking past with banners. Old yellow outlined badge, hooked!!!
And prior to that game, I hadn’t even heard of the place Ipswich, never mind the football team, :lol:

patthegimp

Post by patthegimp » Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:43 pm

1966 I first started supporting Town mainly because all my fellow schoolboys supported the usual top Div 1 clubs. Didn't realise I had started a love affair that would last for life. Have often thought during the bad times that I wished back in 66 that I had chosen another team. Bollocks- great times, bad times all the same. Still love the team.
COYB

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:54 pm

Just arrived at stadium, odd team selection again, wholesale changes, spence & Edun in from the wilderness, Edwards dropped, Dozzell dropped, no width whatsoever

Marvinbay1973

Post by Marvinbay1973 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:12 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:54 pm
Just arrived at stadium, odd team selection again, wholesale changes, spence & Edun in from the wilderness, Edwards dropped, Dozzell dropped, no width whatsoever
SEARS ?

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:19 pm

Is that 442 do we reckon? Interesting game to finally go for that.

Elsewhere dropping to the bench seems a bit harsh on Gerken and Donacien and Spence’s inclusion doesn’t inspire confidence. And looks like there’s no width in the midfield which may put presssure on Spence and Knudsen. Edwards and Dozzell may be disgruntled (although Dozzell did play for under 23s this week)

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:31 pm

Still COYBs!

In Hurst we trust :mrgreen:

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:45 pm

How the f*ck do you get any continuity with seven changes !

I’ve no idea how he picks his team, is it numbers in a hat ?

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:56 pm

Bloody hell, that was a lucky escape on 10 mins !

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:04 pm

Preston 2-0 up inside 12 minutes v Brentford, that’s not very helpful to our cause.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:09 pm

Oh dear !

1-0 with a very good opening goal, this is not looking very promising.

shamm

Post by shamm » Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:09 pm

Luck out the door.
1 down - 22 min.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:12 pm

Luck ?...

I didn’t see much evidence of luck involved good or bad but maybe I missed something?

shamm

Post by shamm » Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:16 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:56 pm
This luck!!😊

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:19 pm

Preston 3-0 up now, this is all we need cos it’s going to take a miracle to get anything out of this game. You travelling fans deserve a medal.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:20 pm

shamm wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:16 pm
Charnwood wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:56 pm
This luck!!😊
✅ got it 👍

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:23 pm

All we need now is for Hull to score at Bristol City.

ipswichtownNo1

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:34 pm

Well that first half was sh*te!

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:38 pm

Thought we did OK until we conceded. Was fairly even. However since the goal we have done absolutely nothing of note and Leeds look like they have a couple of extra gears to use if they need to. Sorry but I don't get the logic of playing Nolan on the right, just play Edwards. Nolan had given ball away every time he's got it I think! Downes has done OK but only from a defensive point of view. Not seen much attacking intent from the middle of the park, one or two little bits from Edun but nothing more. Jackson and Sears had no service at all to work from really

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:38 pm

Nice to see Town playing 4-4-2. Just need a cutting edge. Maybe Dozzell for Nolan 2nd half might help. Still in it at 1-0. If they score again I fear the worst.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:42 pm

Happy at 1-0 down at HT TBH.

The only chink of light I see is if Leeds are frustrated in not killing the game off... and we deliver some kind of sucker punch... from where .. who knows.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:47 pm

Wasn't too bad until they scored, we got into one or two good situations but just lack any real quality, any spark from us is coming from Edun, Nolan right wing is a joke, the guy is hopeless and its even worse when you consider we hsve Edwards on the bench. I felt Knudsen was at fault for the goal, gifting the guy time and space to get his cross in, yes it was a good cross but could have been stopped. Bart for me all over the place in opening five minutes when closed down, he had loads of time, then flapped and totally missed a cross which we got away with. Very subdued atmosphere among Town fans. Worse to come.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:49 pm

I don’t know why our players find it so difficult to pass the ball to another player wearing a blue shirt, time and time again we lose possession by either giving it away or getting caught in possession. I really can’t see where a goal is likely to come from other than a set piece.

Leeds have five players on the pitch with 18 goals between them, we have four players with 5 between them and at this rate of changing the team around it isn’t likely to improve anytime soon.

I find it hard to be positive as we have no pace, no attacking intent and very little threat, to me Leeds look in complete control.

phily bon bon

Post by phily bon bon » Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:00 pm

Come on you blues ⚽. This can only get better. 😀

MasseyFerguson

Post by MasseyFerguson » Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:00 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:49 pm
I don’t know why our players find it so difficult to pass the ball to another player wearing a blue shirt, time and time again we lose possession by either giving it away or getting caught in possession. I really can’t see where a goal is likely to come from other than a set piece.

Leeds have five players on the pitch with 18 goals between them, we have four players with 5 between them and at this rate of changing the team around it isn’t likely to improve anytime soon.

I find it hard to be positive as we have no pace, no attacking intent and very little threat, to me Leeds look in complete control.
I got taken to task a few weeks ago for quoting our really bad passing stats. To me it is indicative of the fact that some of the players are not good enough for this league. When put under pressure the skills of the less talented player will fail him.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:04 pm

MasseyFerguson wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:00 pm
Charnwood wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:49 pm

I got taken to task a few weeks ago for quoting our really bad passing stats. To me it is indicative of the fact that some of the players are not good enough for this league. When put under pressure the skills of the less talented player will fail him.
I’d love to see our stats for completed passes both team & individually, I bet they’re absolutely shocking and at the very core of our problem. How we’re still in this game god only knows.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:07 pm

So he takes Edun off , what a prat