Bonne

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Kerry Blue

Bonne

Post by Kerry Blue » Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:28 am

QPR manager Mark Warburton says he’s delighted for Macauley Bonne that he’s made such an impressive start to his loan spell with the Blues but says recalling the 25-year-old in January isn’t currently in his plans, although hasn't ruled out doing so.

Ipswich-born striker has netted five goals since joining the club on a season-long loan, four in his last three games, having bagged only four in the whole of 2020/21 with the Hoops.

The Zimbabwe international is currently the joint-second top scorer in League One but the most clinical having scored one goal for every 79 minutes of League One football he has played.

QPR can recall Bonne in January, as Town would have been able to send him back had the spell not worked out, but Warburton says he has plenty of other options.

“We’ll see how we go,” he told West London Sport, “I don’t think anyone would say that Lyndon Dykes, Charlie Austin, Andre Gray and Chris Willock are bad options to have.

“Players need to play. If Macca was here today, for example, and comes off the bench alongside Charlie, Andre or Lyndon, does he benefit more from being out on loan and playing or by sitting on the bench in the Championship?

“His job is to go out and score goals and he’s doing that, I’m delighted to see him doing that. That’s the idea of a good loan. He goes out and gets pitch time, gets opportunities, and he takes them.

“Every time you move up, it’s a different level, so that was the idea of the loan. I’m happy with the loan and delighted for him. Hopefully he carries on going.”

Bonne joined QPR from Charlton for £2 million in October 2020, signing a three-year deal with the Loftus Road club having an option to keep him for a further season.

This is not good news😫

hallamblue

Re: Bonne

Post by hallamblue » Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:32 am

I think Town should be able to strike a deal with QPR for Bonne. I’m almost certain he’d want to join us permanently if the opportunity arose.

Well have to see what happens in January……

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:52 am

Too early to worry about this.

He might lose form - or start missing chances. Which means QPR may not want him back or he’s less important to lose. At least we’ve got Pigott and Norwood as back up - as opposed to Hawkins and Drinan.

If it goes well, He can also have a chat with QPR and express his desire to stay. QPR might not want an unhappy striker back. If they thought so much about him, they wouldn’t send him on loan. He’s 25 and not a 20 year old looking for experience. And if QPR strikers are doing OK- he probably won’t be needed back.

Another side note is Morsy being called up for Egypt. We could lose him for a few weeks in Jan in the Africa nations cup.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:19 pm

What isn't good? He has no thoughts on recalling him, clearly never going to rule it out completely but I think we'll be fine

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:41 pm

Early days. But we have strength in depth. Maybe Bonne is keeping an even better striker out of the team?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:55 pm

He is, Pigott is far better all round player, that said goals are what it's about and at present it's Bonne finding the net.

JamessB

Post by JamessB » Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:27 pm

I recently met up with an old school mate who's been a lifelong Wimbledon fan and he was saying how lucky we were to get Joe Pigott, the Wimbledon fans rated him highly and were sad to see him leave, let's hope he shows the same form for us

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:19 pm

I think we have 3 good strikers now I just hope they all get a chance to prove themselves and get enough game time to be happy and satisfied with there roles.

shabba

Post by shabba » Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:34 pm

What they really mean is:

'Good to see him doing well, we don't need him here but this will help drive the price up so we can recoup some of the money we paid' - IMO that is exactly what this loan is for.

I suspect if we get prompted we will buy him for the 1-2m range, depends how much interest from other clubs helps to drive the price up but (again IMO) I suspect he will really want to stay at town.

If we don't get prompted then it'll be complex.

Dazzz67

Post by Dazzz67 » Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:20 pm

All down to form, all strikers have a good and bad patches, if and when he dips hopefully Pigott, Norwood or whoever is about is in form.

Always going to talk about recalls but that is the nature of loans, it is a loan and if and when things change we will look at options.

Nothing to be concerned about at this moment in time.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:41 pm

Might have to look at this in a positive way. If he wasn’t doing well QPR wouldn’t be talking about him and we wouldn’t care.

Just indicates we’ve got a player on fire. If a few more players start doing the same, they’ll be linked with bigger clubs, too. I’d rather we have this situation than no-one wants our players because they’re crap.

If he goes, then it’s down to the recruitment dept to find someone else. Still think Pigott and maybe Norwood will play a part this season.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:00 pm

Don't know how many games he's been part of this season up 'til now. Maybe hasn't featured in every (league) game the since start in August but seems to find target often and something of a dependable player. QPR have the option to take him back in the New Year ? It's too early to say for sure but Bonne has looked a lively player that can contribute thus far and could, or will, be a pivotal part of any promotion push.

Which runs the risk of been derailed if they ask for him back.

I take a moment to view team attacking options for now and the time ahead, and while not overly enthralled, there are names at least that offer hope. Bonne himself, and Pigott maybe. You've got to provide these kids the opportunity. Norwood has done OK in spells, but either injured or doesn't find the target enough. Would not miss him if he were sold on or loaned out at the next window involvement.

Jackson, say again I don't know why he remains on the payroll, and Chaplin / Barry, maybe their time is to come and don't want to castigate (their) names without (yet) justified reason. At one time we had a clear deficiency of attacking alternatives, now we got quite an array of options to pick from.

You may not rate or even like some of those options, but it's far better than being without or left short.

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:59 pm

It’s an interesting one.

I mean how many times can Warburton say ‘loan’. Yup it’s a loan but does he mean it’s a loan so get your cheque book out and make it permanent or does he mean we can have him back if it suits so don’t get too attached?

As for Bonne himself, he’s an Ipswich boy and clearly enjoying himself. But is he enjoying himself so much he’d rather stay in L1 than go back to QPR if we don’t make it out this year?