League 1 - Cambridge United vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Another win?

Cambridge Win
6%
Ipswich Win
75%
Draw
19%

Total votes: 16

bluejacko

Re: League 1 - Cambridge United vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by bluejacko » Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:31 am

Maybe your right, but the point still stands how many games this season have we changed our tactics first to get the opposition reacting to us? It always seems the other way round and we fail miserably virtually every time!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:52 am

Exactly Jacko, he's bereft of ideas when it comes to seeing out games, shutting up shop, changing tactics or making telling substitutions, apart from that he's marvellous.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:36 am

Bluemike wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:52 am
Exactly Jacko, he's bereft of ideas when it comes to seeing out games, shutting up shop, changing tactics or making telling substitutions, apart from that he's marvellous.
Totally pissed off with it all now. Just seems like Groundhog Day all of the time. If the owners are not seriously looking at the way things are going then I give up.
Think it is time for me to forget all about ITFC for a while as my enthusiasm for the club is diminishing each day.

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:39 am

hallamblue wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:16 am
Problem is you get rid of the manager , and the whole of the back room has to go too. That’s another monumental restructuring isn’t it.

I don’t think the owners will be firing Cook anytime soon, and definitely not his season, they at least, realise it’s a big ask when you essentially re invent a football club such as they have done.

What’s happened at ITFC this summer is the same as the club going completely out of business , and being re invented as a new club, but with the hassle of starting from outside the leagues (like AFC Wimbledon did).
I wouldn't be so sure on Cook not being sacked. I have a feeling Reid coming in was potentially owners asking a manager if he needs help ??
There is no excuse for Ipswich not being min top 6 this season and given the recruitment and money spent I would have thought owners would have been looking to at least challenge for top 2.
At the moment not to many of the better teams in the league have been played. The next spell of matches could do for Cook. Needs to get it moving IMO and quickly.

Also the decision to completely rebuild the squad was PC's ?
When he took over the team was not a million miles away from play off. His style drove the team in the wrong direction. That is fine if when you build your own side it goes in the right direction. At the moment its anything but.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:07 am

number 9 wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:01 pm
I think it’s a monumental task to rebuild a squad almost entirely. Our American owners brought with them great optimism, but in reality there is no quick fix for a Club that has been in decline for more than 20yrs. I don’t think we’ll see a managerial change this season, and I’ll be extremely surprised if we make the playoffs. Question is, how much patience do we all have left?
I hope you’re right No 9 because I don’t think our Football Club could stand another wholesale bout of disruption at the present time. We know PC has a successful track record at this level and there’s no reason why he can’t be again. Changing a whole team and getting it right first time is a huge ask and it maybe we only have it 80/90% right at the moment and the shortfall is the difference between success and failure. I would much prefer to see us put the 10/20% right in the January transfer window rather than scrap the current plan and start again with a new manager, at least for the rest of this season.
I think we’re only a couple of players short at the most and need an Alan Hunter type no nonsense Central Defender and possibly a Goalkeeper too, but for me the jury is still out on that one. If necessary we should be able to offload a couple or more players to self fund the new recruits.
Personally I’d much prefer this course of action before starting again.

bluejacko

Post by bluejacko » Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:25 am

Charnwood wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:07 am
number 9 wrote:
I think it’s a monumental task to rebuild a squad almost entirely. Our American owners brought with them great optimism, but in reality there is no quick fix for a Club that has been in decline for more than 20yrs. I don’t think we’ll see a managerial change this season, and I’ll be extremely surprised if we make the playoffs. Question is, how much patience do we all have left?
I hope you’re right No 9 because I don’t think our Football Club could stand another wholesale bout of disruption at the present time. We know PC has a successful track record at this level and there’s no reason why he can’t be again. Changing a whole team and getting it right first time is a huge ask and it maybe we only have it 80/90% right at the moment and the shortfall is the difference between success and failure. I would much prefer to see us put the 10/20% right in the January transfer window rather than scrap the current plan and start again with a new manager, at least for the rest of this season.
I think we’re only a couple of players short at the most and need an Alan Hunter type no nonsense Central Defender and possibly a Goalkeeper too, but for me the jury is still out on that one. If necessary we should be able to offload a couple or more players to self fund the new recruits.
PC has had a successful record with Richardson beside him! I can’t help thinking this is the stumbling block,he has no one beside him to point out any errors that he is making.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:43 am

bluejacko wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:25 am
Charnwood wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:07 am
number 9 wrote:
PC has had a successful record with Richardson beside him! I can’t help thinking this is the stumbling block,he has no one beside him to point out any errors that he is making.
If that is the stumbling block it shouldn’t be too difficult to find a fix. Surely there must be more than a few aspiring young managers who would jump at the chance to work with Paul Cook in a No2 role at an ambitious club like ours. If this is the case I’m sure Peter Reid will have this high on his agenda in his advisory role at Portman Riad.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:21 pm

I see no reason to question Cook, it's not going perfectly to plan, but the players also have to shoulder part of the responsibility. I think our expectations are high because we are doing so well in some areas and we're desperate for a bit of success at PR. I don't think many would be too upset with our position at this point before the season started and they certainly wouldn't be if we held out to win one or two of those games. Yes we probably should be doing better defensively, but the results are not far enough away from being ok to question Cook just yet, in my opinion...

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:50 pm

bluejacko wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:02 am
I don’t think we can argue about the quality of players,they are a step up from last year!
However the problem still remains that when opposition managers adapt their tactics we are lost both on and off the field to react to them!
I am sorry to say that it’s becoming obvious that Cook is missing Richardson who I reckon he thought would come here at the start of the season, much like Lambert, take away the right hand and they struggle.
For how long the Americans will stick this is anyone’s guess but they are not here to fail.
I wish I had a pound for every football manager that this has been said about when results aren't happening.
The million dollar question is the one you posed on what type the new owners are ?
For me Cook has to get things moving soon. Portmouth, Plymouth and Wycombe to come. Not sure Cook will survive poor results and performances at the end of that run.
For me Nov/Dec is the critical time.
If they bag him its give a new manager time to asses the squad and then try to fix in Jan.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:24 pm

I believe the club should stick with PC, however the question of a quality number 2 (No, not talking about the Bristol stool chart here! :wink: :lol: ) is what i feel needs properly addressing.

Yes a complete new team set up should be given time, however I can't help but glance enviously at Wigan under Richardson. They signed 16 players during close season, and for a team who escaped relegation by a single point last season, finishing 20th, they seem to have had very little trouble "gelling".

Like the Lambert/Culverhouse combo, which many City supporting mates told me that the latter was the true driving force, i wonder if the same is true of the Cook/Richardson combination?

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:16 pm

AzzurroMark wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:24 pm
I believe the club should stick with PC, however the question of a quality number 2 (No, not talking about the Bristol stool chart here! :wink: :lol: ) is what i feel needs properly addressing.

Yes a complete new team set up should be given time, however I can't help but glance enviously at Wigan under Richardson. They signed 16 players during close season, and for a team who escaped relegation by a single point last season, finishing 20th, they seem to have had very little trouble "gelling".

Like the Lambert/Culverhouse combo, which many City supporting mates told me that the latter was the true driving force, i wonder if the same is true of the Cook/Richardson combination?
I want the owners to stick with Cook, but mostly because I’m fed up with the fans thinking that a change of manager is the go-to solution. It’ll happen again with the next one. And then we’re again in another downward spiral. However, it’s painful to watch us continually give up winning positions all the time and haemorrhaging points. Looking for positives…. that’s better than not trying to win games and not having the first shot on target until the 85th minute. But it’s so painful dropping points when we’ve been so on top in games. Stick it out until we’re absolutely sure Cook’s not the right man. There’s no guarantee the next manager can take on this squad.

As for Richardson being the missing link. I think Cook took him from player to right-hand man a long time ago and he was Cook’s protege….so if Richardson is some genius, then he’s got Cook to thank for bringing him on.
I think the biggest problem was the recruitment. It was exciting to watch players come through the door but we really needed as a priority to get a real leader or two in defence and two tough defensive midfielders. The teams not tough enough and it might take the second transfer window to get it right.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:22 pm

tangfastic wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:16 pm
I want the owners to stick with Cook, but mostly because I’m fed up with the fans thinking that a change of manager is the go-to solution. It’ll happen again with the next one. And then we’re again in another downward spiral. However, it’s painful to watch us continually give up winning positions all the time and haemorrhaging points. Looking for positives…. that’s better than not trying to win games and not having the first shot on target until the 85th minute. But it’s so painful dropping points when we’ve been so on top in games. Stick it out until we’re absolutely sure Cook’s not the right man. There’s no guarantee the next manager can take on this squad.

As for Richardson being the missing link. I think Cook took him from player to right-hand man a long time ago and he was Cook’s protege….so if Richardson is some genius, then he’s got Cook to thank for bringing him on.
I think the biggest problem was the recruitment. It was exciting to watch players come through the door but we really needed as a priority to get a real leader or two in defence and two tough defensive midfielders. The teams not tough enough and it might take the second transfer window to get it right.
^^ Yep ^^ thats it.

Been trying to type up something articulate about how i see the Cookie situation and the “Richardson” theory ….. and perfectly worded above. 👍👌

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:36 pm

valleyroad wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:50 pm
bluejacko wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:02 am
I don’t think we can argue about the quality of players,they are a step up from last year!
However the problem still remains that when opposition managers adapt their tactics we are lost both on and off the field to react to them!
I am sorry to say that it’s becoming obvious that Cook is missing Richardson who I reckon he thought would come here at the start of the season, much like Lambert, take away the right hand and they struggle.
For how long the Americans will stick this is anyone’s guess but they are not here to fail.
I wish I had a pound for every football manager that this has been said about when results aren't happening.
The million dollar question is the one you posed on what type the new owners are ?
For me Cook has to get things moving soon. Portmouth, Plymouth and Wycombe to come. Not sure Cook will survive poor results and performances at the end of that run.
For me Nov/Dec is the critical time.
If they bag him its give a new manager time to asses the squad and then try to fix in Jan.
Don't interpret above as me wanting Cook sacked as i don't. It will be interesting to see what type of owners the Americans are though as if they are quick to pull the trigger then Cook needs to start getting results

Dazzz67

Post by Dazzz67 » Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:39 pm

I see it as PC needs to have a number 2, someone to help out, either he gets one or we can continue on this same path of mediocrity which will end up in tears or elation, know what im betting on.

I have always liked PC and still do but things are getting on my jubblies now, also the stress cannot be good for him either. Get the poor bloke a good assistant.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:43 pm

Dazzz67 wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:39 pm
I see it as PC needs to have a number 2….

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:44 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:29 am

Dazzz67 wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:39 pm
I see it as PC needs to have a number 2, someone to help out, either he gets one or we can continue on this same path of mediocrity which will end up in tears or elation, know what im betting on.

I have always liked PC and still do but things are getting on my jubblies now, also the stress cannot be good for him either. Get the poor bloke a good assistant.
Could it be he’s now in a situation where he’s desperately trying to prove a point that he can do it all by himself. If someone comes in as his number 2, results then turn favourably and then people assume that it’s all down to his assistant. Maybe Reid being brought in as some sort of advisor is a compromise.
I do think he made a mistake in not getting an assistant straight away. Just take the pressure off himself a bit. On the other hand, a manager should be able to make good tactical decisions during a game with or without a number 2.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:57 am

valleyroad wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:39 am
hallamblue wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:16 am
Problem is you get rid of the manager , and the whole of the back room has to go too. That’s another monumental restructuring isn’t it.

I don’t think the owners will be firing Cook anytime soon, and definitely not his season, they at least, realise it’s a big ask when you essentially re invent a football club such as they have done.

What’s happened at ITFC this summer is the same as the club going completely out of business , and being re invented as a new club, but with the hassle of starting from outside the leagues (like AFC Wimbledon did).
I wouldn't be so sure on Cook not being sacked. I have a feeling Reid coming in was potentially owners asking a manager if he needs help ??
There is no excuse for Ipswich not being min top 6 this season and given the recruitment and money spent I would have thought owners would have been looking to at least challenge for top 2.
At the moment not to many of the better teams in the league have been played. The next spell of matches could do for Cook. Needs to get it moving IMO and quickly.

Also the decision to completely rebuild the squad was PC's ?
When he took over the team was not a million miles away from play off. His style drove the team in the wrong direction. That is fine if when you build your own side it goes in the right direction. At the moment its anything but.
I think Cook has always needed a assistant alongside him. Cant understand why he didn’t act when Richardson decided to stay in Wigan. Reid would potentially be a good foil, but his role appears very diffuse at the club doesn’t it. I’m also starting to get a little concerned with the numbers of back room staff being employed. It’s like working in the NHS, it’s top heavy with useless, overpaid “managers”!