The Title Run In..........

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

number 9

Re: The Title Run In..........

Post by number 9 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:05 am

Charnwood wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2024 11:42 pm
number 9 wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2024 11:35 pm
Got a headache reading that, Charny! But yeah, it’s not over yet!
I have to admit I have had a few caná’s and a couple of glasses of cava in the sun today 9 and it has been 30° here today ☀️🍻🥂
Good for you mate! Hope you know I’m just joking? I’m not really sure what to think about this season. On the one hand we never thought we’d be in this position, but now we’ll be seriously pissed off if we don’t get promoted. Some have said KM will leave if we don’t get promoted. I disagree, I think he’ll be with us next year no matter what happens. He’s young and pragmatic and he likes Suffolk. He’s not in a hurry to move on, especially with MA & our American owners at the helm. Anyway, I’m starting to get a headache again. COYB!!!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:41 am

Andy, its nothing to do with staying calm, believe it or not I'm totally calm with our situation, was totally calm after the Norwich no show too, its more about being realistic, it goes without saying we could well have missed our "best chance" of getting promoted by not winning the Two home games last week, that was the point I made, its obviously a correct comment.

You say about the managers that stay calm have the best chance, I really don't think Klopp or Arteta are known to be they types to panic so for me that had no bearing on yesterday's surprise results, just Two sets of players who on the day couldn't put the ball in the net or get some of the basics right, much like us, the difference with them to us is they've both been playing pretty well lately, we haven't been at our best for a while now.

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:04 am

Well regardless of all of our thoughts, we will know the answer in 3 weeks time! We can all point at things we could have and should have done but so can every team. McKenna has not been 100% every hame but boy he has been for 90% of them! It is natural that people are getting edgy at this stage - its all so close but we have all been saying 'twists and turns' for weeks yet when they have happened (like this week), we try to dampen our disappointment by looking at the possibility of failure when, as Chary's analysis shows, our fall off has actually been no worse than that of our competition!

For what its worth, I think at best Leeds will win two and draw one (7 points), Leicester the same (their games are all at home but against the most difficult teams) and we will get win one of the away games and the final home game (6 points). That will be enough! Southampton still being in with a shout of auto's and Boro at home v Leeds are the key for me. Also, knowing what we have to do before each game to match Leeds is also a big advantage in my view. 19 more sleeps and we will have our answer... 😬🤞 COYB's!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:22 am

As I keep saying not a dig at McKenna at all, he's been fantastic, the point was we've been below our best for a while and some big players have not been on it for a while. But yes, let's leave it there, all wll be revealed in the next Three weeks and at the end of the day this season has been superb, we won't be enjoying the Premier League anywhere near as much should we get there, win win really.

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:27 pm

Funny thing is that there is a possibility of Ipswich & Soton taking the auto places. For me tomorrow's game for Soton v Preston is a marker. If they give them a confident beating with 2 or 3 goals then they could beat both Leicester and Leeds in their games against them.

I'm happy we don't have any games against top 4 teams.

shabba

Post by shabba » Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:19 pm

Hi all,

Been rather busy so not posted much etc, jeeeeeeez this run in is so intense! Its SO stressfull watching the games, but we have played very well IMO the past 2 games and unlucky not to draw.

The break could be good as we may need a rest/re-charge, but then its likely the pressure is on as we could even be down to 4th by the time we play Hull. IMO we might need to win 2 of the last 3, and I feel it could be a nervy final game of the season situation with checking phones at the ground etc.

So many permitations - just have to let the games tick by over the next 2 weeks and see where we are at. Maybe its good if Saints win tonight, then draw vs Leicester?

I'm quite worried about our games too, those are tough away matches to get a win from - and we really need wins at this stage. It was a big shame not to win in the last 3 games, but in Isolation they aren't the worst of results as up against decent sides and we edged both the last 2 matches IMO.

Honestly its a real struggle to watch now, so much is on the line! Even my wife who isn't a big fan is invested now and finding it tense to watch.

COYB!

RRanger

Post by RRanger » Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:10 pm

I've been dreading the Coventry match but I now think their FA Cup semi-final v Man United could be a win /win for us. Imagine that match at Wembley going to extra time and Coventry then losing and then having to lift themselves to play us when they probably won't make the play-offs. Alternatively, Man U are very flaky and what if Coventry beat them (not impossible) then the scenario is the Coventry players are playing us with ,at the back of their minds, not wanting to pick up any injuries or red cards against a team (us) who will hopefully be very up for the match.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:11 pm

Yes I agree, I think Hull is definitely the harder game but we outplayed them with our best performance of the season and that will be in their minds too.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:46 pm

Hull’s home form is pretty shocking with only 1 win from their last 6 played at the MKM Stadium, however as we all know form goes out if the window at this time of the season.

There’s also every possibility that the 5th & 6th play off places will have been filled by the time we kick off at Hull especially if Norwich win their next two home games against Bristol City and Swansea.

The other big game I’m sure we’ll all be following is Coventry v Hull next Wednesday night just 3 days after their FA Cup semi final - v Manchester United. As it stands I’m guessing a draw in that fixture would be best for us and could see both sides chase for a play off place virtually finished. All this of course assumes that West Brom’s sticky “run in” doesn’t continue given they’ve only won one of their last 5 games and face Leicester City (a) this coming Saturday lunchtime.

I give up, far too many variables, let’s just wait and see, but it would certainly help if Coventry and Hull’s interest in the play offs is over by the time we play them.

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:28 am

Well Southampton did what nobody above them has been able to do recently and that is, score goals and win convincingly.

Personally I think they have the momentum right now and could disturb Leicester and Leeds in those two upcoming games. We will need two wins to keep ahead of them I fear.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:14 am

RRanger wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:10 pm
I've been dreading the Coventry match but I now think their FA Cup semi-final v Man United could be a win /win for us. Imagine that match at Wembley going to extra time and Coventry then losing and then having to lift themselves to play us when they probably won't make the play-offs. Alternatively, Man U are very flaky and what if Coventry beat them (not impossible) then the scenario is the Coventry players are playing us with ,at the back of their minds, not wanting to pick up any injuries or red cards against a team (us) who will hopefully be very up for the match.
Yep, bit of a god send that Coventry City are very busy elsewhere. Their semi final is huge. And with Simms on form, could realistically cause an upset. Like you say, Coventry could be looking fwd to an FA Cup Final come that midweek game. Has to work in ITFC’s favour.

Personally see Hull as the crunch game. A win there would be massive. Seeing a hard fought draw there , a win v Cov, and hopefully a win v ‘Udders. Although if they need more than a point to avoid the drop…… That could be very interesting as well.
What a season. The most memorable for years & years.

shabba

Post by shabba » Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:50 am

Leeds play Monday so by then saints could be level with them on points (and games played) - if Leicester loose they’ll also only be a point ahead I think.

Pressure will be on Leeds for sure and that’s a hard away game at Boro.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:00 am

nicked from twtd poster: Hes done the hard work .....

RUN-IN SEQUENCE (league position of opponent)

2) Tues 16th April
20:00 Saints v PNE (8th)

2) Sat 20th April
12.30 Leicester v West Brom (5th)
15:00 Cardiff (11th) v Saints
Mon 22nd
20:00 Boro (9th) v Leeds

3) Tues 23rd April
20:00 Leicester v Southampton (4th)

4) Fri 26th
20:00 QPR (16th) v Leeds
Sat 27th April
15:00 Saints v Stoke (20th)
20:00 Hull (10) v Ipswich
Mon 29th
20:00 PNE (8th) v Leicester

5) Tues 30th April
20:00 Coventry (7th) v Ipswich

6) Sat 4th May
12.30 Ipswich v Huddersfield (21st)
12.30 Leeds v Southampton (4th)
12.30 Leicester v Blackburn (18th)

PS IF we can manage NOT to lose any of our final games , I think itll be us an Saints who go up... Ive got everything crossed.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:35 am

This Two week gap is good in one respect buy not in another, we could conceivably be 4th by the time we play again and the pressure would be immense, I'm still cursing the dropped points in the last Two games although I think Leicester and ourselves will be the ones to creep over the line.

rossi

Post by rossi » Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:05 am

Other results going our way or not, pressure or not - 2 wins should get us over the line, but I honestly think we'll go one better and win all 3.

Southampton, of course, will have the most influence on who goes up with us - take points from both Leeds and Leicester and I would fancy them to do it

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:56 am

That's us fooked then Gary lol

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:20 am

rossi wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:05 am
Other results going our way or not, pressure or not - 2 wins should get us over the line, but I honestly think we'll go one better and win all 3.

Southampton, of course, will have the most influence on who goes up with us - take points from both Leeds and Leicester and I would fancy them to do it
Like the spirit Rossi, and yes you have to believe! I have had several (non Ipswich) football fans coming up to me saying they believe we will go up automatically, one of them a staunch Leeds fan. It's ours to throw away!
The games involving Southampton are looking particularly huge right now and indeed we did very well to beat them recently. If I was one of the other teams in the playoff places right now I think I'd much rather be facing Leeds or Leicester than the Saints.

Regarding our disappointing last 2 home games, there have been signs that there's still some great football being played by Ipswich (especially after the local derby no show). We should remember that both Watford & Boro are in good form, neither having lost a game since 9th March (Watford v Coventry). i would be a damn sight more concerned if I followed Leeds or Leicester!

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:27 pm

If Southampton win on Saturday at Cardiff and again on Tuesday at Leicester that would take them to 90 points, 1 point above us but of course we’d have a game in hand.

They also play 3 of their final 4 fixtures away, however If they managed to win their final day game at Leeds they could finish with 96 points which would take some beating and could see them win the Championship.

It also highlights how important Jeremy Sarmiento’s 97th minute winner was when we played Southampton at Portman Road.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:29 pm

rossi wrote:

If Southampton win on Saturday at Cardiff and again on Tuesday at Leicester that would take them to 90 points, 1 point above us but of course we’d have a game in hand.

They also play 3 of their final 4 fixtures away, however If they managed to win their final day game at Leeds they could finish with 96 points which would take some beating and could see them win the Championship.

It also highlights how important Jeremy Sarmiento’s 97th minute winner was when we played Southampton at Portman Road.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:38 pm

I’m hopeful that by the time we play Hull and Coventry their chances of a play off place will have almost over.

This would leave my only worry being our final game at Portman Road on 4 May. I just hope and pray Huddersfield don’t need a draw to survive relegation from the Championship because relegation fighting teams play with a survival spirit that promotion challengers can never find as was evident last Saturday when Blackburn won at Leeds.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:00 pm

Having just worked through the numbers the best outcome for us would be for Southampton to lose their game in hand at Leicester and win on the final day at Leeds.

If this happened both Leeds and Southampton’s maximum points total would be 93 assuming they won all their other fixtures.

This would require us to win 5 points from 9, even less if either teams drop any other points. Surely this has to be our best chance as it stands at the moment.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:03 pm

The front page updated.

Leicester City

QPR (H) L 1-2
Sunderland (A) W 1-0 (3 points)
Hull City (A) D 2-2 (4 points)
Southampton (H) P-P
Bristol City (A) L 1-0
Norwich City (H) W 3-1 (7 points)
Birmingham (H) W 2-1 (10 points from 18 max) 1.67 ppg avg
Millwall (A) L- 1-0 (10 pts from 21 max) 1.43 pts pg avg.
Plymouth Argyle (A) L 1-0 (10 pts from 24 max) 1.25 ppg avg.
WBA (H)
Southampton (H)
Preston (A)
Blackburn Rovers (H)

Leeds United

Huddersfield (A) D 1-1 (1 point)
Stoke City (H) W 1-0 (4 points)
Sheffield Weds (A) W 0-2 (7 points)
Millwall (H) W 2-0 (10 points)
Watford (A) D 2-2 (11 points)
Hull City (H) W 1-0 (14 points)
Coventry City (A) L 2-1 (14 points from 21 max - 2 pts pg avg)
Sunderland (H) D 0-0 (15 points - 24 max)1.875 pp game avg
Blackburn Rovers (H) L 0-1 (15 points- 27 max) 1.875 ppg avg)
Middlesbrough (A)
QPR (A)
Southampton (H)

Ipswich Town

Birmingham City (H) W 3-1 (3 points)
Plymouth Argyle (A) W 2-0. (6 points)
Bristol City (H) W 3-2 (9 points)
Cardiff City (A) L 2-1 (9 points)
Sheffield Weds (H) W 6-0 (12 points)
Blackburn Rovers (A) W 0-1 (15 points)
Southampton (H) W 3-2 (18 points)
Norwich City (A) L 1-0 (18 points from 24 max - 2.25 pts avg)
Watford (H) D 0-0 (19 points from 27 max. - 2.11 pts pg avg)
Middlesbrough (H) D 1-1 (20 points - 30 max - 2.00 pts pg avg)
Coventry City (A)
Hull City (A)
Huddersfield (H)

Southampton

Millwall (H) L-1 v 2
Birmingham City (A) W 4-3 (3 points)
Sunderland (H) W 4-2 (6 points)
Middlesbrough (H) D 1-1 (7 points)
Ipswich Town (A) L 3-2
Blackburn (A) D 0-0 (8 points from 18 max 1.33 pts pg avg.)
Coventry City (H) W 2-1 (11 pts from 21 max) 1.57 pts pg avg
Watford (H) W 3-2 (14 points from 24 max) 1.75 ppg avg)
Preston (H) W 3-0 (17 points from 27 max) 1.888 ppg avg.)
Cardiff City (A)
Leicester (A)
Stoke City (H)
Leeds Utd (A)

shabba

Post by shabba » Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:18 pm

rossi wrote:

I think we need to win 2 of the 3 also, draws aren't much good now.

rossi

Post by rossi » Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:20 pm

shabba wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:18 pm
rossi wrote:

I think we need to win 2 of the 3 also, draws aren't much good now.
absolutely, and when I made my bold prediction that we will win our last 3 games I was assuming that everybody at the club appreciates that draws are no good and we need to go all out for wins

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:33 pm

rossi wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:20 pm
absolutely, and when I made my bold prediction that we will win our last 3 games I was assuming that everybody at the club appreciates that draws are no good and we need to go all out for wins
I don't think appreciating that draws are no good ensures victory, otherwise they would've just gone and won 43 from 43 so far if they had a simple choice! :mrgreen:

2 wins 1 draw, should be enough....

QldBlue

Post by QldBlue » Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:13 pm

I can see us losing one of our next two away games and if results go Hulls way in their next two, it’ll be a tough fixture by the time we meet them. That said, I really believe we’re going to get one of those 2 spots. I think 2 wins will do it for us. This break has come at the perfect time I reckon, players will reset and Coventry will be knackered when they play us. I think it’ll all come down to the final days play. What a season!

Blued

Post by Blued » Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:01 am

Still games to play, not over yet

number 9

Post by number 9 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:41 am

Blued wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:01 am
Well, aren’t you the optimist!

Blued

Post by Blued » Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:53 am

number 9 wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:41 am
Blued wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:01 am
Well, aren’t you the optimist!
What’s the point of being the skeptic, don’t you support ITFC?

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:56 am

Of course I support Ipswich.

“No you don’t”

Aye ah do!

“No…….. you don’t.”

Am tellin ye, ah do!

“Nope. You don’t!”