The Title Run In..........

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Re: The Title Run In..........

Post by Charnwood » Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:30 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2024 11:09 am
I know it is a case of taking One game at a time and see where it takes us but it's still fun to look at the run in for the Four Promotion contenders and see what we all think, so here it is.......

Leicester City

QPR (H) L 1-2
Sunderland (A) W 1-0 (3 points)
Hull City (A) D 2-2 (4 points)
Southampton (H) P-P
Bristol City (A) L 1-0
Norwich City (H) W 3-1 (7 points)
Birmingham City (H) W 2-1 (10 points) from 18 max 1.67 avg
Millwall (A) L- 1-0 (10 points) … 1.43 points per game avg.
Plymouth Argyle (A)
WBA (H)
Southampton (H)
Preston (A)
Blackburn Rovers (H)

Leeds United

Huddersfield (A) D 1-1 (1 point)
Stoke City (H) W 1-0 (4 points)
Sheffield Weds (A) W 0-2 (7 points)
Millwall (H) W 2-0 (10 points)
Watford (A) D 2-2 (11 points)
Hull City (H) W 1-0 (14 points)
Coventry City (A) L 2-1 (14 points from 21 max - 2 pts pg avg)
Sunderland (H) D 0-0 (15 points) …1.875 points per game avg
Blackburn Rovers (H)
Middlesbrough (A)
QPR (A)
Southampton (H)

Ipswich Town

Birmingham City (H) W 3-1 (3 points)
Plymouth Argyle (A) W 2-0. (6 points)
Bristol City (H) W 3-2 (9 points)
Cardiff City (A) L 2-1 (9 points)
Sheffield Weds (H) W 6-0 (12 points)
Blackburn Rovers (A) W 0-1 (15 points)
Southampton (H) W 3-2 (18 points)
Norwich City (A) L 1-0 (18 points from 24 max - 2.25 pts avg)
Watford (H) D 0-0 (19 points from 27 max. -
Middlesbrough (H)
Coventry City (A)
Hull City (A)
Huddersfield (H)

Southampton

Millwall (H) L-1 v 2
Birmingham City (A) W 4-3 (3 points)
Preston (H) P-P
Sunderland (H) W 4-2 (6 points)
Leicester City (A) P-P
Middlesbrough (H) D 1-1 (7 points)
Ipswich Town (A) L 3-2
Blackburn (A) D 0-0 (8 points from 18 max 1.33 pts pg avg.)
Coventry City (H) W 2-1 (11 points) 1.57 points per game avg
Watford (H)
Preston (H)
Cardiff City (A)
Leicester (A)
Stoke City (H)
Leeds Utd (A)

Looking at these Fixtures is why I believe we are far from out of this, we have Seven Home games that with the exception of Southampton maybe all look very winnable, away from home is tricky and at least Three wins will be required.

Leeds for me look home and hosed with those fixtures which is why I think a Leicester defeat last night was a decent result for us when you look at their run in, they have some very tough away games to come and are running into a bit of a dip results wise, I also think Southampton look to have some banana skins in there too and they too are now getting found out.

We really aren't out of this as long as we do what we are capable of against teams we know we can beat, no more poor displays like we saw against Rotherham though or it will be curtains for top Two.

Everthing to play for........

Oh yes, ONE GAME AT A TIME.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:41 pm

Since this thread began at the end of February ITFC have out performed our closet rivals and we are the only Top 4 team to have maintained a better than 2 points per game average.

Ipswich - 2.11 points per game average since the end of Feb.

Leeds - 1.88 ppg avg.

Southampton- 1.57 ppg.

Leicester - 1.43 ppg.

No; No’s include the Watford game played tonight.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Thu Apr 11, 2024 3:06 am

I wonder what odds were available in that Leicester, Leeds United and (Ipswich) Town would all fail to score zero in their collective games together.

You got three teams there, arguably the best in this division, two with a home advantage and all against much lesser opposition and neither one could manage a single goal over 90 + minutes. That's just wild when you provide it a moments thought.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Thu Apr 11, 2024 3:31 pm

arana peligrosa wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2024 3:06 am
I wonder what odds were available in that Leicester, Leeds United and (Ipswich) Town would all fail to score zero in their collective games together.

You got three teams there, arguably the best in this division, two with a home advantage and all against much lesser opposition and neither one could manage a single goal over 90 + minutes. That's just wild when you provide it a moments thought.
The odds would have been pretty high AP, circa 25/1 would be my guess.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Thu Apr 11, 2024 3:38 pm

We often read that all we need to do is either match or go one better than Leeds . Here are our corresponding fixtures, when or where will it happen ?

Leeds
Blackburn (H)
Middlesbrough (A)
QPR (A)
Southampton (H)

Ipswich
Middlesbrough (H)
Hull (A)
Coventry (A)
Huddersfield (H)

To match Leeds this coming weekend we may well have to win our home have v Middlesbrough, who thinks we can do this ?

number 9

Post by number 9 » Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:30 pm

I think we can beat Middlesbrough, but I thought we’d beat Watford. In all honesty, I think we need to win all our remaining games to have the chance of automatic.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri Apr 12, 2024 8:52 am

I think 2 wins and two draws would be enough but for that to realistically happen we have to win Saturday’s game against Middlesbrough. Unfortunately given their recent form and our recent form that’s probably unlikely.

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:26 am

Here is my take on this... we need to beat Boro tomorrow - no question. We then have more than 2 weeks to prepare and rest for 3 vital games. That is an eternity in football terms these days and gives so much preparation time that I am sure our manager and his team will relish. The players can all get loads of rest too and should be buzzing for those 3 games. Our opponents will all be playing in the usual rhythm and some in cup action which will divert attention. So I think it is totally game on for us - pro footballers, fully rested and tactically prepared for 3 huge games - why should we not expect automatics? I am upbeat for it - but tomorrow is crucial. COYB's!!

rossi

Post by rossi » Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:48 am

Nobody knows what results we need in our last 4 games to achieve automatic promotion, because nobody knows what results Leeds will get (I'm assuming here that Leicester will get one of the places, which they ought to do).

If Leeds draw one and lose three, then all we need to do is the same. If they win all 4, well that's what we need to do.
I agree 100% with KMs philisophy here - don't worry about what the other teams do, go out and try to play well and win, and see where that leaves us.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:04 am

Blue Wilf wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:26 am
Here is my take on this... we need to beat Boro tomorrow - no question. We then have more than 2 weeks to prepare and rest for 3 vital games. That is an eternity in football terms these days and gives so much preparation time that I am sure our manager and his team will relish. The players can all get loads of rest too and should be buzzing for those 3 games. Our opponents will all be playing in the usual rhythm and some in cup action which will divert attention. So I think it is totally game on for us - pro footballers, fully rested and tactically prepared for 3 huge games - why should we not expect automatics? I am upbeat for it - but tomorrow is crucial. COYB's!!
Pretty much how I see it too, there has been so many twists and turns so far with the Top Three that there is every reason to expect there to be more.

For me tomorrow is massive, a win and then Two weeks rest at this stage of the season is more than we could hope for, as it stands Hull and Coventry have everything to play for but by the time we meet them both and with the right set of results that may not be the case, they could possibly be Two disappointed teams with nothing to play for. It's gonna chop and change right to the very end, as Rossi says, we just need to do our bit.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri Apr 12, 2024 2:28 pm

rossi wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:48 am
Nobody knows what results we need in our last 4 games to achieve automatic promotion, because nobody knows what results Leeds will get (I'm assuming here that Leicester will get one of the places, which they ought to do).

If Leeds draw one and lose three, then all we need to do is the same. If they win all 4, well that's what we need to do.
I agree 100% with KMs philisophy here - don't worry about what the other teams do, go out and try to play well and win, and see where that leaves us.

This is where the discussion started Rossi, we all know all we have to do is match Leeds match by match. What we’re discussing now is where and when this may or may not happen. Pure guesswork we know and most likely “expect the unexpected”.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Apr 12, 2024 2:31 pm

rossi

Post by rossi » Fri Apr 12, 2024 3:19 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2024 2:28 pm
This is where the discussion started Rossi, we all know all we have to do is match Leeds match by match. What we’re discussing now is where and when this may or may not happen. Pure guesswork we know and most likely “expect the unexpected”.
Yes, I appreciate what the discussion is about - and after all discussion is what forums are all about.

Maybe I see things more black and white than most - I don't see the point of looking at other teams games and postulating about where I think they may slip up, because I simply do not know enough about those teams to make anything like a decent guess.

The way I look at it, Leicester have a game in hand and a point (+gd) in hand, so it's more likely they will manage to grab one of the places. That leaves us and Leeds, and we currently are a point to the good. We havn't got to play Leeds and we havn't got to play Leicester, so if the players focus and do their jobs properly then we won't be caught.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:09 pm

Ok there’s been plenty of conjecture on the title run. It’s not rocket science after tonight’s result, if we win our remaining games we’re promoted.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:11 pm

Not sure you should assume Leicester to take one of the automatic places Rossi, at the moment they’re probably the poorest of the three main contenders. I’d think after loosing 1-0 to two relegation candidates in their last two games ( Millwall and Plymouth) their confidence will be well and truly shot.

Just love the updated league table without Leicesters game in hand.

1 Leicester 42 28 4 10 41 88
2 Ipswich .…42 26 10 6 32 88
3 Leeds … .. 42 26 .9 7 43 87

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:18 pm

Just love being able to watch every Ipswich. Leeds and Leicester game all the way to the final day. I can’t remember the last time I enjoyed watching football so much.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:25 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:41 pm
Since this thread began at the end of February ITFC have out performed our closet rivals and we are the only Top 4 team to have maintained a better than 2 points per game average.

Ipswich - 2.11 points per game average since the end of Feb.

Leeds - 1.88 ppg avg.

Southampton- 1.57 ppg.

Leicester - 1.25 ppg.

No; No’s include the Watford game played last night and Leicesters defeat at Plymouth tonight which highlights just how poor their current form is.

Leicester clearly have the poorest run of form of the current Top 4 teams and if McKenna can get the boys believing in themselves it could give us a massive opportunity to overhaul them as well as Leeds United.

Mauswara

Post by Mauswara » Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:41 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:18 pm
Just love being able to watch every Ipswich. Leeds and Leicester game all the way to the final day. I can’t remember the last time I enjoyed watching football so much.
Last season?

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:42 pm

So much for all three promotion chasing teams all scoring 100+ points, at the current rate the Champions may well end up with as few as 96 points which as recent as 2 weeks ago looked nigh on impossible.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:54 pm

Mauswara wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:41 pm
Charnwood wrote:
Last season?
Not really because all three teams were mostly playing at the same time and not every match could be watched on tv. This run in its possible to watch all three teams games on tv as we all have different kick off times. Tonight I’ve watched the second half of the Leicester game, tomorrow lunchtime I’ll watch Leeds and tomorrow afternoon at 4pm Town v Middlesbrough knowing exactly what needs to be done.

Denny61

Post by Denny61 » Fri Apr 12, 2024 11:00 pm

If only we had won on wed night .could be 6 points clear of foxes by 5

number 9

Post by number 9 » Fri Apr 12, 2024 11:06 pm

Denny61 wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2024 11:00 pm
If only we had won on wed night .could be 6 points clear of foxes by 5
Yep. We have another opportunity. Gotta take it.

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Sat Apr 13, 2024 12:29 am

Yep Leicester have to play the Saints and WBA in very tough games, and Leeds plays the Saints and Middlesbrough, so its no cake walk for all of us we must remain strong and determined

Mauswara

Post by Mauswara » Sat Apr 13, 2024 1:50 am

Charnwood wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:54 pm
Mauswara wrote:
Charnwood wrote:
Last season?
Not really because all three teams were mostly playing at the same time and not every match could be watched on tv. This run in its possible to watch all three teams games on tv as we all have different kick off times. Tonight I’ve watched the second half of the Leicester game, tomorrow lunchtime I’ll watch Leeds and tomorrow afternoon at 4pm Town v Middlesbrough knowing exactly what needs to be done.
I see what you mean, hadn't thought about it like that. Most games kick off in the middle of the night here so it's enough for me to make it through the Town game live let alone a whole run of matches!

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Apr 13, 2024 10:17 am

Mauswara wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2024 1:50 am
Charnwood wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:54 pm
Mauswara wrote:

Last season?
I see what you mean, hadn't thought about it like that. Most games kick off in the middle of the night here so it's enough for me to make it through the Town game live let alone a whole run of matches!
My wife is looking forward to us going to California for 6 weeks and being away for the play offs which is fine by me as long as we’re not in them. Fortunately she knows how much promotion means to me and is happy for me to watch all this footie. Normally I’d be playing golf so I guess she’s happy having the injured golfer at home watching football. Today it’s only two games, Leeds first then the Big One ⚽️ at 4pm.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Sat Apr 13, 2024 2:32 pm

Does anybody want it? Well I worry it's going to be the same old narrative again today!!

To quote Eminem;
"Look, if you had one shot, or one opportunity
To seize everything you ever wanted, in one moment
Would you capture it, or just let it slip?"

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Apr 13, 2024 2:35 pm

This must be the most unpredictable league in the world.

• Leeds first home defeat of the season to Blackburn.

• Leeds, Leicester & Ipswich with collectively the highest points and scoring record just a couple of weeks ago and now 540 minutes without a goal between them.

• it’s like non of the top 3 want to win the league.

• at this rate Southampton could come back in the frame with 2 of their games to play at Leicester and Leeds.

• this is getting crazy

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Apr 13, 2024 2:37 pm

AzzurroMark wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2024 2:32 pm
Does anybody want it? Well I worry it's going to be the same old narrative again today!!

To quote Eminem;
"Look, if you had one shot, or one opportunity
To seize everything you ever wanted, in one moment
Would you capture it, or just let it slip?"
Isn't that about shooting other rappers? :lol:

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Apr 13, 2024 5:11 pm

We need to watch Southampton who picked up another 3 points today and if they win against Leeds and Leicester will be in the mix for one of the automatic promotion places.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Apr 13, 2024 5:14 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2024 5:11 pm
We need to watch Southampton who picked up another 3 points today and if they win against Leeds and Leicester will be in the mix for one of the automatic promotion places.
Of all people, Flynn Downes. 99th minute.