The Title Run In..........

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Shed on tour

Re: The Title Run In..........

Post by Shed on tour » Sat Apr 13, 2024 5:22 pm

Really feel that today was a big opportunity missed and come the end of the season we may regret it. 2 points from our last 2 home games is not the sort of form we want or need at this time of the season. Our away form recently has hardly been outstanding either and we are certainly going to need to be better at Hull and Coventry.
Just want to go into the Huddersfield game with matters in our own hands rather than relying on results elsewhere. As has already been said you still can’t write Southampton out of the automatic picture either especially as it appears none of the top 3 want to take the opportunity when it comes to them.

Denny61

Post by Denny61 » Sat Apr 13, 2024 5:28 pm

All we need now is Southampton Norwich and Watford wins nxt week..Southampton to be going in to Leicester game with autos still on .Norwich to keep that gap from. Hull too far so when we play Hull. They will be knackered and nothing to play for. And Coventry to beat them so definitely be out of it.....two points clear of leeds is better than nothing.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Apr 13, 2024 5:35 pm

Shed on tour wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2024 5:22 pm
Really feel that today was a big opportunity missed and come the end of the season we may regret it.
Yep, that is exactly how I see it. In a title race, you have to win at Portman Road, regardless of what Leicester or Leeds are doing. Massive opportunity today gone.

rossi

Post by rossi » Sat Apr 13, 2024 7:17 pm

marko69 wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2024 5:35 pm
Shed on tour wrote:
Really feel that today was a big opportunity missed and come the end of the season we may regret it.
Yep, that is exactly how I see it. In a title race, you have to win at Portman Road, regardless of what Leicester or Leeds are doing. Massive opportunity today gone.
It's not often I agree with you, Marko, but that comment is spot on.

KM is always saying that he doesn't worry about other team's results, just ours - well, in our last 3 games (2 of those at home) we've picked up just 2 points and scored once, so he can paint it how he likes as per his post match interview but I think there's plenty of cause for concern

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Apr 13, 2024 7:40 pm

rossi wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2024 7:17 pm
marko69 wrote:
Shed on tour wrote:

KM is always saying that he doesn't worry about other team's results, just ours - well, in our last 3 games (2 of those at home) we've picked up just 2 points and scored once, so he can paint it how he likes as per his post match interview but I think there's plenty of cause for concern
I don’t really go all out suicidal like you, Rossi. Its the business end of the season where there are a number of teams scrambling and nervous for the big time…….. i see NO cause for concern. I see an opportunity missed based purely on the exact same thing the other contenders are going through. You want to make it about Kieron McKenna. Just like you did last season before the team went 12 unbeaten and you disappeared.

In short……, if Town miss promo, whether by auto OR play-off ——>> its a season that has way surpassed expectations.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sat Apr 13, 2024 7:50 pm

marko69 wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2024 7:40 pm
rossi wrote:
marko69 wrote:

I don’t really go all out suicidal like you, Rossi. Its the business end of the season where there are a number of teams scrambling and nervous for the big time…….. i see NO cause for concern. I see an opportunity missed based purely on the exact same thing the other contenders are going through. You want to make it about Kieron McKenna. Just like you did last season before the team went 12 unbeaten and you disappeared.

In short……, if Town miss promo, whether by auto OR play-off ——>> its a season that has way surpassed expectations.
Right on, Marko! I mean we’ve been top three pretty much the whole season, right? Managers will always be questioned for tactics, but ultimately it’s up to the players. I’ll definitely be pissed off if we don’t go up, but it is what it is! I know you love that idiom! :lol:

rossi

Post by rossi » Sat Apr 13, 2024 8:16 pm

marko69 wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2024 7:40 pm
rossi wrote:
marko69 wrote:

well, that's the last time I agree with anything you say, if that's the kind of response you're gonna make. Suicidal? What gives?
And who is making it all about KM? Not me, but if he gets the credit when things go well he has to get criticism when things are not going so good. And 2 points out of 9 is not good, well not in most peoples books anyway.
Finally, I did take some time out from the forum last season, but it wasn't whilst we were going on the 12 game unbeaten run - get your facts straight before you spew bile!!

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Apr 13, 2024 8:40 pm

:lol: You disappeared , don't kid yourself.

Things are “not going good” for all 3 gunning for promo. And its the pressure. Is there really a “cause for concern” while sitting top and all are faltering?
Today was a massive 2 points dropped but its not a “Jump off a bridge” scenario and a cause for concern.

People do get a bit “WTF-ish” when seeing the word Suicidal being used to describe stuff so apologies if that bothered some forumites. And yes, have lost a couple close people over the years to that bridge over the Forth. I blame Terry Butcher when he was at ER.

Mariner67

Post by Mariner67 » Sat Apr 13, 2024 9:16 pm

We are top of the league, ok we have some difficult away games coming up ,win those, we may be celebrating, night not even need to win,I'm feeling positive 😀

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sat Apr 13, 2024 9:24 pm

I think KM’s philosophy is to ‘draw’ a line for promotion

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Sat Apr 13, 2024 10:35 pm

Next Sat Leicester v West Brom, 22 Apr Boro v Leeds and 23 Apr Leicester V S'ton - after those 3 games, the picture will be much clearer without is even having kicked a ball...

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Apr 13, 2024 10:41 pm

number 9 wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2024 9:24 pm
He might need to have a rethink then cos three of those won’t being good enough even with our main competition playing sh*t.

Thinking positive after watching the 3 main promotion chasing teams over the last 24 hrs, in my opinion our performance and form is better than their’s, and whilst we don’t know for sure, the way things are going 94/95 points may well be all it needs to be crowned as Championship Champions and that’s still doable.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Apr 13, 2024 11:08 pm

Blue Wilf wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2024 10:35 pm
Next Sat Leicester v West Brom, 22 Apr Boro v Leeds and 23 Apr Leicester V S'ton - after those 3 games, the picture will be much clearer without is even having kicked a ball...

I think you can take that a step further Ian as Leeds also play QPR (a) the day before we play Hull which means we’ll have two games in hand on them when our game kicks off. As you say we’ll also have a game in hand on Leicester and don’t forget we’ll also have a game in hand on Southampton who play 3 games before we play again. 16/4 Preston, 29/4 Cardiff and the Leicester game you’ve already mentioned.

Whilst it’s nice to have some recovery time and know exactly what we need to do, having 15 days without a game followed by 3 games in 8 days does seem rather brutal, especially with so much at stake.

One thing guaranteed though is that we’ll still be it when we go to Hull as the three teams we’re now competing with will have played 7 of their run in games whilst we’ve been resting. We can only live in hope that this works in our favour.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Apr 14, 2024 8:30 am

Thinking of our final game we could have done with Huddersfield not conceding a 90+10th minute penalty at Bristol City yesterday which dragged them back into the bottom three. Meanwhile teams around them were all picking up points with some surprise wins including Plymouth 1 v 0 Leicester. Leeds 0 v 1 Blackburn and Birmingham 3 v 0 Coventry. It seems like the relegation battling teams are finding it easier to win games than those on the verge of promotion. Let’s hope Huddersfield can pull themselves clear of relegation before our game on the final day.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:42 am

Charnwood wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2024 10:41 pm
number 9 wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2024 9:24 pm
He might need to have a rethink then cos three of those won’t being good enough even with our main competition playing sh*t.

Thinking positive after watching the 3 main promotion chasing teams over the last 24 hrs, in my opinion our performance and form is better than their’s, and whilst we don’t know for sure, the way things are going 94/95 points may well be all it needs to be crowned as Championship Champions and that’s still doable.
Yeah I know, sorry my bad sense of humour creeping back. :lol:

Dazzz67

Post by Dazzz67 » Sun Apr 14, 2024 12:12 pm

I know things have not quite gone to plan but just take a look where we are, would you honestly swap places with Leeds and their fixtures with ours? I would not, they have a struggle to make up the tiny gap with 3 games left. Who would of thought Leeds and Leicester would lose, and we managed a point, massive results. This end of the season is always tricky but I personally think we will do it, and for me to think that is huge believe me, keep the faith.

COYB!

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Sun Apr 14, 2024 6:51 pm

Whether it's correct or not, when you move away the Ipswich sphere of interest, there seems to be much more optimism about our chances of making the automatics.

I checked the Leeds forum - definitely doom and gloom.

Leicester - lots of lucky Ipswich but also an acknowledgement that our players are playing with more conviction than the other two.

Also I asked my cousin, a Watford season ticket holder, who he thought it would be. He said:

Ipswich definitely, although I reckon you’ll get 2nd not first. That 2 points you have over Leeds are priceless. Based on the performances I’ve witnessed, I’d say it’s probably going to be Leicester based on that they have that game in hand, and (although you all have some challenging fixtures) that Southampton match Leeds have last game of the season might be the difference. Leicester to win it on 96 points. I think it will be tight, but Ipswich in 2nd on 93. Leeds 3rd on 91.

Another factor I haven't really considered before is how the three dressing rooms are doing. If Leeds or Leicester don't make it, their best players will be sold and their managers sacked - the stakes are very very high and therefore so is the pressure. Ipswich is not the same scenario. In the (admittedly heartbreaking) event we are not promoted, Davis will probably be sold and I guess we might lose the manager (although not a foregone conclusion), but we strengthen with confidence and go again.

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Sun Apr 14, 2024 7:08 pm

As has been said before no doubt, the Leicester/Soton/Leeds pair of games is going to make or break it IMO. If they all swap points or both end up draws then we might need only 4 more points.

Shame the last few games are all spread out. Would have been nice if all the top 4 played their last 3 rounds of games at the same times.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Apr 14, 2024 7:22 pm

Dubai Blue wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2024 7:08 pm
As has been said before no doubt, the Leicester/Soton/Leeds pair of games is going to make or break it IMO. If they all swap points or both end up draws then we might need only 4 more points.

Shame the last few games are all spread out. Would have been nice if all the top 4 played their last 3 rounds of games at the same times.
You’re spot on DB, that’s exactly how it should be. As it stands by the time we play Hull the other three will have played 7 games between them and it will look like this;

Leeds P 45 - Still to play - Southampton (h)
Southampton P 45 - Leeds (a)
Leicester P 44 - Preston (a) - Blackburn (h)
Ipswich P 43 - Hull (a) - Coventry (a) - Huddersfield (h)

I’m not sure if our 15 days breaks gives us an advantage or a disadvantage. Any thoughts anyone ? I guess a lot will depend on what happens between now and 8pm on 27 April.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Apr 14, 2024 8:03 pm

For the first time this year the Yorkshire Evening Post are predicting Ipswich to finish above Leeds United. They update this every week and hopefully this week they have it right. 👍

https://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/ ... 571?page=4

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Sun Apr 14, 2024 8:26 pm

JohnnyB wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2024 6:51 pm
Whether it's correct or not, when you move away the Ipswich sphere of interest, there seems to be much more optimism about our chances of making the automatics.

Leicester - lots of lucky Ipswich but also an acknowledgement that our players are playing with more conviction than the other two.

Also I asked my cousin, a Watford season ticket holder, who he thought it would be. He said:

Ipswich definitely, although I reckon you’ll get 2nd not first. That 2 points you have over Leeds are priceless. Based on the performances I’ve witnessed, I’d say it’s probably going to be Leicester based on that they have that game in hand, and (although you all have some challenging fixtures) that Southampton match Leeds have last game of the season might be the difference. Leicester to win it on 96 points. I think it will be tight, but Ipswich in 2nd on 93. Leeds 3rd on 91.

Another factor I haven't really considered before is how the three dressing rooms are doing. If Leeds or Leicester don't make it, their best players will be sold and their managers sacked - the stakes are very very high and therefore so is the pressure. Ipswich is not the same scenario. In the (admittedly heartbreaking) event we are not promoted, Davis will probably be sold and I guess we might lose the manager (although not a foregone conclusion), but we strengthen with confidence and go again.
100% spot on. This is exactly how i see it. The consequences for the other 3 are massive. For Town it is way beyond any expectations and huge amount to build on, plus momentum in club and support next season if they don't go up

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Sun Apr 14, 2024 8:27 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2024 7:22 pm
Dubai Blue wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2024 7:08 pm

You’re spot on DB, that’s exactly how it should be. As it stands by the time we play Hull the other three will have played 7 games between them and it will look like this;

Leeds P 45 - Still to play - Southampton (h)
Southampton P 45 - Leeds (a)
Leicester P 44 - Preston (a) - Blackburn (h)
Ipswich P 43 - Hull (a) - Coventry (a) - Huddersfield (h)

I’m not sure if our 15 days breaks gives us an advantage or a disadvantage. Any thoughts anyone ? I guess a lot will depend on what happens between now and 8pm on 27 April.
Personally I think the rest is a good thing. There are for sure a few knocks and there has been illness in the camp recently too. Moore took a heavy knock recently and we are going to need him to be at his best. Will Hirst get back onto the pitch by game 46? I doubt it. The players must generally be tired and this break will surely allow some recovery time. Of course it will all look different if the others win all their games and we have some catching up to do....

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Apr 14, 2024 8:33 pm

JohnnyB wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2024 6:51 pm

I find your post strangely very reassuring Johnny…. Keep em coming 👍

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sun Apr 14, 2024 11:03 pm

Nice to see Hallam posting again, init?

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Apr 14, 2024 11:20 pm

Yes, it is. 👌

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Apr 14, 2024 11:26 pm

I’m guessing you guys missed her last night on the Middlesbrough match thread. I knew she’d be back before the season ended. how could our No 1 Tractor Girl miss the finale to this fabulous season. Welcome back Liz. 👍👌🙏⚽️

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Apr 14, 2024 11:27 pm

In different ways the pressure is on the owners, the managers, the players and the fans, and everyone deals with it in different ways. The managers who stay cool like Pep and McKenna are the types that succeed and this could be to our advantage. The same applies to players and these are the guys that have to take ownership and do it on the pitch on match day. Unfortunately the ones that panic are the first ones to make mistakes, mistakes they wouldn’t normally make and this I think is the reason why the top teams are struggling to score goals the closer it gets to the final game of the season, God knows what it will be like come 5 May.

Finally there’s the fans, the ones that stay calm are the one who can see that Leicester and Ipswich are still in with the best chance to take the top two places as they are currently the two teams with the points on the board and points are becoming hard to win. Ipswich are the only team of the Top 4 that have managed to win two points a game since this thread began and we’ve moved from 3rd to 1st. Over their the past 3 games Leicester have scored 3 points and lost their last 2 games, Ipswich have 2 points from 2 draws and 1 defeat, Leeds have 1 point from 1 drawn game and 2 defeats. At this rate there’s unlikely to be a sudden mass of points scored and I’m thinking 5 Ipswich points could see this through, even 4 might be enough. If we get 5 Keeds will need 7 points from 9 from their last 3 games and zi just don’t see that happening. If we get 4 they need 6, I don’t see that happening either.
No back to where I started, the fans that don’t stay calm don’t see any of this. All they see is cloud and mist and negative doom and gloom focusing on the past that we can’t change rather than the future that McKenna and the boys can control.
The fact is we are currently in the best position we’ve been in this year, and an automatic place is the closest it’s ever been. This is far from over and in my opinion very doable. I won’t attempt to try to work out where we’ll get our 4, 5, or 6 points from but I do believe for the first time that we’ll get enough to dodge the play offs, and, best case scenario win the Championship pipping Leicester by a point with Leeds a point behind them. I also think Southampton have a good chance of making 90 points which would be an incredible finish and give them a good chance of winning the play offs.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sun Apr 14, 2024 11:35 pm

Got a headache reading that, Charny! But yeah, it’s not over yet!

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Apr 14, 2024 11:38 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2024 11:27 pm
….won’t attempt to try to work out where we’ll get our 4, 5, or 6 points from but I do believe for the first time that we’ll get enough to dodge the play offs.
🙏ing you’re correct, Charnwood. 👍👌

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Apr 14, 2024 11:42 pm

number 9 wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2024 11:35 pm
Got a headache reading that, Charny! But yeah, it’s not over yet!
I have to admit I have had a few caná’s and a couple of glasses of cava in the sun today 9 and it has been 30° here today ☀️🍻🥂