Championship - Ipswich Town vs Southampton FC Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

How massive would a win be?

Ipswich Win
82%
Southampton Win
No votes
Draw
18%

Total votes: 11

Frosty
Forum Owner

Championship - Ipswich Town vs Southampton FC Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Frosty » Mon Apr 01, 2024 12:34 am

Image Ipswich Town v Southampton FCImage

Monday 1st April 2024 – 17:30

Portman Road

Pre-Match Thoughts Mike

If ever there was Two games more different than the Sheffield Wednesday & Blackburn Rovers games then I must have missed them, talk about chalk and cheese, the Flair, style and total control and domination we witnessed against Wednesday was replaced with nervous tension, grit, guile and everything ugly and uncomfortable that is associated with Football up at Ewood Park. Thankfully the end result was the same at the conclusion of both games as Town ground out a monumental win to send us soaring to the top of the table as we approach the real business end of the season.

Kieran McKenna made no secret of the fact that having started the game so well and in control of much of the first half we found it hard to stamp our authority on proceedings for much of the second half as we looked to get that oh so important killer second goal, of course it never came and in truth never really looked like coming as they definitely got on top in their chase for an equaliser, at times I was about as stressed as I have been all season and I must confess I did think we may be getting a repeat of the Cardiff collapse once more.

Fair play to the team though who defended so well when our backs were against the wall as we knew how crucial it was to hang on to the win, especially having seen Leicester City lose earlier in the day. i was so uneasy at the prospect of a CB pairing of Woolfy & George Edmundson but fair play to them, they stood up to the task and did well and kept another crucial clean sheet. I know Hladky made One almighty rick that so nearly cost us a goal but man what a recovery to keep the shot out from point blank range and it capped another fine display from the big man who it has to be said has been immense for us most weeks.

There are often times where I have felt lady luck really doesn't go our way and in truth most of us bemoan the Referee every week but on this occasion I think we got our fair share of the rub of the Green, Three times Rovers had the ball in our net and every time it was disallowed, for me Two of them were completely correct but the Third one which was ruled out for interference in front of Hladky was, in my opinion, a real stroke of good fortune, I personally felt it was a goal all day long and would have been fuming had we had that One ruled out at the other end. Of course not everything went our way as we without question were denied a stone wall penalty for the pull on Broadhead which was blatant and as clear as day for all to see, that potential makes it a Two goal cushion and a completely different game so in that sense it was us that were unlucky.

With results going our way we incredibly now sit top of the pile with just Seven games remaining, of course Leicester City do have a game in hand that could see them replace us at the summit but they are on such an implosion that you would not fancy them against anyone at the moment and for about the only time I can remember I will be rooting for the Scummers to take something off them on Easter Monday because if that comes to pass and we do the business too we will then have a cushion on them as well which given the situation a few weeks ago is quite remarkable. I always fancied Bristol City to get something from the game against the Foxes but no way did I expect Leeds to drop points at Watford, that was a massive bonus for us and having watched the game I think Leeds will know they were lucky to get One point.

With things now very much back in our own hands it is vitally important we have no slip ups, especially at Portman Road which makes the Easter Monday game at home to Fourth placed Southampton even more crucial, if that is possible. The Saints still have lingering hopes of automatic promotion too and while it's a long shot they won't give up until it is mathematically impossible so in that sense this game may just suit our style more than that of the Blackburn's of this world, Southampton have to win, they have to go for it and they have to play football which they do anyway and it could well fall into our hands, chances will be taken and we are so dangerous going forward that I feel opportunities will definitely present themselves for our attacking players. If we cast our minds back to September and our solitary goal victory at their place they struggled to deal with Omari and while they are a bit of a different animal now I do think he could be pivotal for us here too.

While all games are vital I can't help but feel this One is bigger than most, to cement top place while taking the Saints out of the equation would be some days work from the boys in Blue, and of course it would also send us into next weeks huge East Anglian derby top of the table, that in itself would give us even more incentive to put One over our small neighbours from up the road. This could really turn out to be an absolutely unbelievable Easter weekend for us should we get it right, Leicester play Norwich and Leeds take on a faltering Hull side who are scrapping for their lives for that final promotion place, nothing is a given and nothing is easy for anyone, it is who want's it the most, who has the desire and the belief and the will to win, I believe we have all of those traits in abundance and then some.

I don't expect anything less than another tense couple of hours at Portman Road tomorrow evening, my heartbeat was not a great feeling watching us at Blackburn and I am expecting more of the same here too but our never-say-die Boys in Blue never know when they are beaten and I think we may well just nick this One too and should we do that the impossible dream becomes just that little bit closer, you have to pinch yourself at times to realise this is happening, Five defeats all season so far takes some explaining and normally we would be all but up already, of course for us we always have to do things the hard way but we keep grinding it out. Sing your hearts out tomorrow and lets pull the Boys over the finish line once more, we do make a difference, Town win. COYB's. IPSWICH TILL I DIE.

The Opposition – Southampton FC Honours

Titles

Third Division / League One
1921–22 (South), 1959–60

Southern League: 6
1896–97, 1897–98, 1898–99, 1900–01, 1902–03, 1903–04

FA Cup
1975–76

Football League Trophy
2009–10

Runners-up and promotions

First Division / Premier League
Runners-up: 1983–84

Second Division / Championship
2nd place promotion: 1965–66, 1977–78, 2011–12

Third Division / League One
2nd place promotion: 2010–11

FA Cup
Runners-up: 1899–1900, 1901–02, 2002–03

Football League Cup
Runners-up: 1978–79, 2016–17

Full Members' Cup
Runners-up: 1991–92

The Manager – Russell Martin

League Table as at 30.03.2024

Form Guide

Ipswich Town

2 Mar Plymouth 0 - 2 Ipswich Town

5 Mar Ipswich Town 3 - 2 Bristol City

9 Mar Cardiff City 2 - 1 Ipswich Town

16 Mar Ipswich Town 6 - 0 Sheffield Wed

29 Mar Blackburn 0 - 1 Ipswich Town

Southampton FC

20 Feb Southampton 1 - 2 Hull City

24 Feb Southampton 1 - 2 Millwall

2 Mar Birmingham City 3 - 4 Southampton

9 Mar Southampton 4 - 2 Sunderland

29 Mar Southampton 1 - 1 Middlesbrough

Head to Head

Match Referee – Michael Salisbury

IPSWICH TOWN 2 SOUTHAMPTON FC 1

Blue Wilf

Re: Championship - Ipswich Town vs Southampton FC Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Blue Wilf » Mon Apr 01, 2024 7:00 am

So excited but nervous for this one - can't wait! A draw would not be a disaster but a win would be dreamland. 2-1 Town with Moore finding his scoring boots again and being a big physical presence. COYB's!!!!

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:08 am

Just read this in the EADT, some eye watering stats that make you realise just;
- How amazing this team have done this season
- How unique and bizarre this particular Championship campaign has been! Any other season and we'd probably have already achieved automatic promotion!
For context, 84 points has equalled the total posted by John Lyall's second-tier title winners in 1992/92. One more would equal the average tally required to secure a top-two spot in the Championship over the last decade. Three more would match what George Burley's promoted side of 99/00 achieved (87). Four more would break the club record for points in a 46-game season at second-tier level, while five more would break the record for most points secured by a newly-promoted Championship club (Southampton, 88pts, 2011/12).
As for today, I'm predicting no more than a high scoring game (see prediction league for my thoughts :lol:).
This game is one of 7 massive games, I'm daring to dream, wanting to believe but also not temp cruel fate in a game which really could go either way!

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:38 am

Can’t see this ending up as a 0-0 as both teams like to play attacking football and defensively have their problems at times.
Went for a 2-2 draw in the prediction league so will stick with that.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:18 am

AzzurroMark wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:08 am
Just read this in the EADT, some eye watering stats that make you realise just;
- How amazing this team have done this season
- How unique and bizarre this particular Championship campaign has been! Any other season and we'd probably have already achieved automatic promotion!
For context, 84 points has equalled the total posted by John Lyall's second-tier title winners in 1992/92. One more would equal the average tally required to secure a top-two spot in the Championship over the last decade. Three more would match what George Burley's promoted side of 99/00 achieved (87). Four more would break the club record for points in a 46-game season at second-tier level, while five more would break the record for most points secured by a newly-promoted Championship club (Southampton, 88pts, 2011/12).
As for today, I'm predicting no more than a high scoring game (see prediction league for my thoughts :lol:).
This game is one of 7 massive games, I'm daring to dream, wanting to believe but also not temp cruel fate in a game which really could go either way!
It just shows what an unbelievable season we are having and also what a incredible job McKenna and co are doing, it has exceeded all our expectations and while to miss out now would be heartbreaking we have to admire the transformation going on at our club.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Mon Apr 01, 2024 3:20 pm

Had to vote for a Town win, anything else just isn't really an option. It'll be tough but it's within our capabilities to take 3 points from it. Have to perform better than Blackburn it's essential otherwise we'll be at a disadvantage from the start.

The opposition may view automatic promotion as still feasible what with games they got to spare, however we could go a long way to ending it for them with three points ourselves. If the players (our team) show the right character and determination and improve on the Blackburn game, we'll more than likely win it, it's really that straight forward. A vociferous 28,000 + crowd also will aid the team. It's there for us to win in all truth.

lucy

Post by lucy » Mon Apr 01, 2024 4:41 pm

Kaiden Jsckson is starting

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Apr 01, 2024 5:02 pm

Team

Hladky

Tuanzebe, Woolfenden, Burgess, Davis

Morsy, Luongo

Hutchinson, Chaplin, Jackson

Moore

Substitutes

Walton
Clarke
Edmundson
Harness
Taylor
Al Hamadi
Sarmiento
Travis
Broadhead

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Apr 01, 2024 5:16 pm

lucy wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 4:41 pm
Kaiden Jsckson is starting
Can’t say I’m surprised to see Broadhead lose his place in the starting line up and whilst I’m surprised Jackson is in ahead of Al-Hamadi he will add pace and must have impressed in training.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Apr 01, 2024 5:19 pm

Al-Hamadi, Broadhead, Harness & Sarmiento all add attacking options if we need them whilst we also have cover for any injuries elsewhere on the pitch.

Probably as good a line up as we have available with Hurst and Burns still missing and probably will be for the rest of the season. With that in mind we really can’t afford to lose anyone else to an injury.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Apr 01, 2024 5:23 pm

If we have an early goal from either side this bounce be a high scoring game but with so much at stake if it’s goalless at half time a single goal in the second half could decide it.

A must win game for both sides which will either be very exciting 3-2 or an entertaining 0-0 draw like Manchester City v Arsenal yesterday.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Apr 01, 2024 5:44 pm

Unusual opening 10 mins for Town with only 26% possession.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Apr 01, 2024 5:46 pm

Wow what a strike that was from Davis ⚽️

Makes a change from an assist and put a few million on his value.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Apr 01, 2024 5:48 pm

Wow what a reaction although a slight hint of offside. Davis caught wrong side of his man probably still thinking about his goal.

1-1 ⚽️ and we’re only 15 mins in.

Cabanas Blue

Post by Cabanas Blue » Mon Apr 01, 2024 5:53 pm

Morsy booked I believe that's a ban.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Apr 01, 2024 5:57 pm

sh*t we’re getting ripped apart 1-2 ⚽️

Leif Davis caught out of position again. ☹️

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Apr 01, 2024 6:08 pm

Kieffer Moore back injury not looking good, can’t see him staying on which would be a worry.

Cabanas Blue

Post by Cabanas Blue » Mon Apr 01, 2024 6:09 pm

Hope he's ok for Saturday but not looking good.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Apr 01, 2024 6:11 pm

Moore off, Al-Hamadi on. Let’s hope he’s fit for Saturday.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Apr 01, 2024 6:14 pm

I know Leif Davis value going forward but I wish he could read a game defensively like Tuanzebe does (most of the time). If he did I don’t think Southampton would have scored yet.

Cabanas Blue

Post by Cabanas Blue » Mon Apr 01, 2024 6:15 pm

Almost game over.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Apr 01, 2024 6:16 pm

A goal before half time would be handy.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Apr 01, 2024 6:17 pm

Cabanas Blue wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 6:15 pm
Almost game over.
You’re not wrong there CB, a great chance for Ryan Fraser to put the game to bed.

Cabanas Blue

Post by Cabanas Blue » Mon Apr 01, 2024 6:21 pm

I would gladly take a draw now.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Apr 01, 2024 6:28 pm

Me too although to be fair a draw isn’t much use to either side.

I’m not sure why some town fans are jeering the team off at half time, I think that’s a bit harsh. In my opinion we’re up against a very good and well drilled Southampton side worth and paid a fortune more than our team.

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Mon Apr 01, 2024 6:28 pm

We are playing as poorly as we did at Blackburn difference is we are being punished 🤷‍♂️

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Mon Apr 01, 2024 6:40 pm

If the team can't motivate itself for a game of this nature then what can it do. Not sure what's going on there with us but this really isn't acceptable.

I see they're playing three in attack while we're again pinning hopes on one forward. May be answer there as to why they're ahead and we're chasing the game. Moore going off with injury is a significant blow, feel sorry for the player in what must be such a lousy last week.

Now turn this score around for fucks sake and push forward, may leave gaps for them to exploit but can see little alternative with it while in a losing position. We have to win particularly as Leeds probably shall in an hour or two. Somebody get their act together there, we can't afford dropped points from this.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Apr 01, 2024 6:43 pm

We’re playing a significantly better team that haven’t punched above their weight like we have so far this season.
We’re not out of this yet by any stretch of the imagination.

Cabanas Blue

Post by Cabanas Blue » Mon Apr 01, 2024 6:46 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 6:28 pm
Me too although to be fair a draw isn’t much use to either side.

I’m not sure why some town fans are jeering the team off at half time, I think that’s a bit harsh. In my opinion we’re up against a very good and well drilled Southampton side worth and paid a fortune more than our team.
Jerring was for the officials according to Sky.
Last edited by Cabanas Blue on Mon Apr 01, 2024 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Apr 01, 2024 6:47 pm

Southampton also still have to go to Leicester and Leeds where they can also do damage. This isn’t over yet but we really can’t afford to concede a third.