Championship - Norwich City vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

The most important fixture of our season on so many levels?

Norwich Win
16%
Ipswich Win
53%
Draw
32%

Total votes: 19

Frosty
Forum Owner

Championship - Norwich City vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Frosty » Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:26 pm

ImageNorwich City v Ipswich TownImage

Saturday 6th April 2024 – 15:00

Carrow Road

Pre-Match Thoughts - Bluemike

I said a couple of weeks ago that I was lost for words when it comes to this club and what we keep on producing game after game but following Monday's sensational late win against fellow promotion hopefuls Southampton I really am struggling to describe just how I feel and I am genuinely running out of compliments for this set of players and Manager with his backroom staff, it is just on a completely different level.

The build up to the game was clearly one of trepidation given how ordinary we had been just Three days earlier at Blackburn, add to that the undoubted quality and ability within the Saints squad and their need to win meant we were facing One hell of a tough game, but it was One we dare not lose such is the situation at the top of the table.

The game started well for Town and a cracking early strike from Leif Davis gave us just the start we needed, the lead inside Fifteen Minutes and something to build on, or so we thought, Sadly the lead lasted seconds as Southampton got themselves back on level terms almost immediately, with Davis out of position Southampton broke away down our left and in acres of space they crossed for Adams to score, at the time we were all screaming offside at the officials but replays clearly showed Davis to be playing them onside.

If that wasn't a big enough blow it wasn't long before we found ourselves behind, this time we were carved open by some excellent Southampton play, this time down the other flank and it was Armstrong who finished with aplomb giving Hladky no chance. It really was a wake up call for Town who it has to be said had looked second best and continued to do so throughout the entire first half. Thankfully Southampton failed to add to their lead with Hladky and the Town defence holding firm, at the other end only a Chaplin strike straight into the keepers hands was what Town had to show for their efforts, it was a good chance which really should have seen Chappers doing better.

Town's game plan had clearly been affected with the loss of Kieffer Moore around the half hour mark and with the introduction of Al-Hamadi we had to play it a bit different tactically. Town old boy Fraser came so close to a Third just before the break but thankfully his effort beat Hladky and the far post much to the relief of everyone. Getting to half time only One down was key and it needed a big half time talk from Kieran McKenna if Town were to get themselves back into this match.

If the first half was decent the second was to prove to be the stuff of fairytales, while we all hoped for a Town revival I don't think anyone expected what was to follow. Town definitely looked a different animal as the second half commenced, faster, livelier, stronger in the tackle and generally more on the front foot, at the same time Southampton continued to look a big threat going forward, that was never more evident as Hladky excellently palmed away an effort which looked to be going in.

As is the Ipswich way the changes came on the hour mark with Broadhead, Clarke & Taylor entering the fray, replacing Jackson, Luongo and Tuanzebe and this was to turn the game on it's head. It wasn't long before we were seeing their impact as Ali smacked one off the post following some good work by Broadhead, this only seemed to inspire Town more as we looked to get ourselves level. The atmosphere was electric by now with the fans getting right behind their boys in Blue and it has to be said it paid off with the equaliser finally arriving. A glorious first time strike from Broadhead, following a lovely pass from the impressive Jack Taylor, caught Bazunu in the saints goal off guard and he had no chance as the ball flew across him into the far side of the goal, Portman Road erupted as the players celebrated, game on.

The game continued to excite as it swung from end to end with both teams looking for a winner and both teams also looking capable of finding one. Al-Hamadi hesitated when a simple pass either side to a team mate could have seen us through on goal, while at the other end a brilliant piece of defending by Luke Woolfenden snuffed out a Southampton chance when they looked likely to score, it really was exciting, end to end stuff which was certainly no good for my heart. With the clock running down Town were given a huge advantage as Southampton were reduced to Ten men, Bree correctly seeing Red for a blatant foul on Leif Davis who was bursting clear into the box. This was the chance Town needed and they were to grasp it with both hands.

Little did we realise that the arrival of Jeremy Sarmiento with a Minute of normal time left was to take our evening to another level. Seven Minutes of added time went up on the board, the crowd were roaring Town on still believing we could grab the win. Another great block from Woolfenden spared Town's blushes against the Ten men of Southampton.

What followed next was up there with all the glory nights I have ever witnessed at Portman Road, the clocked ticked into the final minute of added time, Clarke squares the ball to Morsy, the skipper sets off on a powerful surging run, evading a tackle and playing a great ball across to the ever dependable Davis, Davis takes his time and picks his pass to Sarmiento in the box, the super sub takes a swing at it but mis times it, surrounded by no less than Five defenders he somehow flicks it with his left foot before superbly toe poking it with his right past the desperate dive of Bazunu and into the net.

The scenes that followed can't really be described unless you were there, Sarmiento sets off to the corner flag in celebration with players piling on top of him, substituted Conor Chaplin runs across the pitch to join in the celebrations, I can remember seeing Jack Taylor in the middle of the pitch saluting the crowd and punching the air with both hands, another player fell to his knees in disbelief, in the stand everyone erupted in incredible scenes, fans young and old hugging and jumping up and down, fist pumps, high fives, charging up and down the stairways, you name it, it seemed to go on for an eternity. I was there when we beat Barcelona, St.Etienne, Inter, etc etc, I saw us put Six past Man Utd and dismantle others like Arsenal, Spurs & Liverpool but I cannot remember a celebration quite like this One. It carried on into the night, walking back to the car, random strangers high fiving us, cars honking their horns and fans singing at the top of their voices, this meant something, only time will tell quite how much it meant and how important it was.

As if that wasn't enough excitement and drama for One day we move on to the next massive game and they don't come any bigger than the East Anglian Derby against our little neighbours from up the road. To say this is probably One of the biggest Derby games in modern times is no lie, yes we had the play off semi-final from a few years back but this is not far behind it. They will be hell bent on spoiling our promotion drive while we will be desperate to keep ourselves top of the league and on course for back to back promotions.

Watching them at Leicester last weekend told me we have nothing to fear, at our best we are the better team but it will require a better performance than the ones we witnessed in the second half at Blackburn and the first half Monday Evening against Southampton, at home they are a different proposition, the crowd will be loud and hostile and they know their play off aspirations could be severely dented if they don't win. It is nigh on Fifteen years since we beat them and to say we owe them one is putting it mildly, we should have won the home game and but for poor finishing we would have done so comprehensively so we need to take what chances come our way, we have a generation of fans who haven't seen us beat them and that needs to be addressed, hopefully this is our time.

Team selection is key, we need to be strong but we also need to keep some big boys in reserve, that serves us so well in the last third of the game. having keiffer Moore available would be huge for us, their CB's can be iffy and he will ruffle some feathers so we have to hope the back injury that forced him off against Southampton is nothing serious, this is a game we need to get on the front foot from the off, none of these slow starts that we are often guilty of, the crowd need to be silenced and an early goal would certainly do that, the defence need to be on their game too as Josh Sargeant has been in very good form, in short we need to be brave and fearless, we need to keep our heads and not get caught up in all the hype and the players need to realise if they don't already just what it means to us fans and what is at stake, a win here would be off the scale in more ways than One.

I can't predict this, nor do I want to. heart say One thing, head another' all I will say is surely at some point the law of averages applies and it becomes our time ? Yes you make your own luck in this game but I truly believe we are due some against this lot. Fingers crossed. Go out and do us proud, fight for the badge and write your names in Ipswich Town folklore, who will be this weeks hero ? "SARMIENTOOOOOOOOOOO" TOWN HAVE WON IT IN THE FINAL SECONDS" I would love to hear something like that again. COYB'S. IPSWICH TIL I DIE.

The Opposition – Norwich City - Honours

League

Second Division / Championship
Champions (5): 1971–72, 1985–86, 2003–04, 2018–19, 2020–21
Runners-up: 2010–11
Play-off winners: 2015

Third Division South / League One
Champions (2): 1933–34, 2009–10
Runners-up: 1959–60

Cup

Football League Cup
Winners (2): 1961–62, 1984–85
Runners-up: 1972–73, 1974–75

The Manager – David Wagner

League Table as at 02.04.2024

Form Guide

Norwich City

6 Mar Middlesbrough 3 - 1 Norwich City

9 Mar Norwich City 5 - 0 Rotherham

16 Mar Stoke City 0 - 3 Norwich City

29 Mar Norwich City 2 - 1 Plymouth

1 Apr Leicester City 3 - 1 Norwich City

Ipswich Town

5 Mar Ipswich Town 3 - 2 Bristol City

9 Mar Cardiff City 2 - 1 Ipswich Town

16 Mar Ipswich Town 6 - 0 Sheffield Wed

29 Mar Blackburn 0 - 1 Ipswich Town

1 Apr Ipswich Town 3 - 2 Southampton

Head to Head

Match Referee – Matthew Donohue

NORWICH CITY 0 IPSWICH TOWN 1

Blued

Re: Championship - Norwich City vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Blued » Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:58 pm

We beat Blackburn & Southampton even though we weren’t at our best. Moore will be a big loss if he isn’t fit, offensively & defensively. Whoever starts, this is a game where we’ll need to play at our best. I’m not optimistic because Norwich will be up for this match not only because it’s an East Anglian derby, but also because they are chasing a play off birth.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Wed Apr 03, 2024 11:11 pm

Like Mike I really don’t want to predict for this one. Even for the prediction league I haven’t got a clue what to put. Usually if I predict a win Town struggle and when I say we will lose they go and win. Problem is I really can’t go and predict a win for the green and yellow barstewards as that would seem so wrong.
Not sure how many more times I will be going to Carrot Road but please Town let me see us win there for one last time.
Bring on Saturday. COYB!!!

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Apr 03, 2024 11:29 pm

Loving that Carrow Road picture. :lol: 👏👏👏

Fantastic preview. Great hearing the Southampton game winner described and the aftermath in the stadium / streets etc. Superb stuff. 👍👌

What a game this is going to be. Tons at stake for the No’Fukers in keeping ahead of Coventry…… and we all know what’s at stake for the TB’s. Really got to 🙏 that the 15 years hoodoo can be broken along with keeping top spot.
Voted draw in this preview poll which would be a decent result away from home, but a convincing “Norman Bates the taxidermist stuffing a bunch of canaries” performance would be sweet.
COYB’s

Caption:

Ref: “Stephanie Powers was tidy back in the day. Did you err, you know, nudge nudge, wink wink?”
David Wagner: “Wrong Wagner, Matthew.”

Denny61

Post by Denny61 » Thu Apr 04, 2024 1:38 am

We won't be as nervous as nawwich will be ...at this stage they have 4 teams with a game in hand bearing down on them for that final spot ..we are guaranteed play off place ..so what Do they do ..do they park the bus and maybe hit us near the last quarter to get all three points. But in doing so .Will allow us to pepper their goal early if we can get through .then they will have to abandon plan a .thus allowing us to get through a lot easier for second as spaces will open up...a point is really no good to them in a one chance saloon. ..at some stage. Records will crumble..like 15 years not beating them. And their home Record of 12 wins in a row ..let's start on Saturday and make them experience pay back time

rossi

Post by rossi » Thu Apr 04, 2024 9:01 am

As others have said, this is a really difficult game to predict - there's an awful lot at stake for both teams and we definitely need to be on our game for the whole match rather than just half of it.

So forgetting about trying to predict using the normal criteria - it's 15 years since we beat them, that has to change at some point and Saturday will be as good a time as any.

shabba

Post by shabba » Thu Apr 04, 2024 5:25 pm

Moore is a doubt still, apparently he hasn’t trained yet and only a maybe for being involved - so I don’t think he will start.

Some illness in the camp too it seems, apparently Davis had had a chest infection lately, must explain his ‘terrible form’ :). The guys a machine!

I think Moore is a big blow, especially in an away game as he gives us a good out ball and someone to hold up and get us up the pitch. My main concern is if Moore is out then we start Ali (fine) but who can replace him later in the game? I guess only Jackson and he is more suited to counter attacks and not us chasing a goal etc.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Apr 04, 2024 6:45 pm

I have a feeling this is a smokescreen and Moore makes it.

Mariner67

Post by Mariner67 » Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:20 pm

I'm in Norwich working with a load of Budgies on Saturday, please can we win this ,otherwise its going to be unbearable, listening to those arrogant bar stewards.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Thu Apr 04, 2024 8:02 pm

EADT Update;

Ipswich Town manager Kieran McKenna has revealed that it's 'unlikely' that striker Kieffer Moore will be able to play any part in Saturday's East Anglian derby at Norwich City (12.30pm ko).

Moore - who has scored six goals in 12 appearances since joining on loan from Premier League club Bournemouth on January transfer deadline day - was forced off in the first half of Monday night's 3-2 home win against Southampton.

Speaking ahead of this weekend's first-versus-sixth Championship clash on Norfolk soil, McKenna said of the Welsh international: "It was a pretty severe back spasm. He's not been able to play any part with the team this week. Knowing the personality that Kieffer is, he hasn't given up on some involvement. It's not impossible, but at the moment I would say it's unlikely.

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Fri Apr 05, 2024 7:06 am

I could very well be wrong but I think Moore will start - I am confident enough of it to not change my first goal scorer prediction. Lets hope so! 🤞

Andym

Post by Andym » Fri Apr 05, 2024 8:03 am

I don’t think McKenna is the sort to play mind games. I don’t think Moore will play, and without him I think we will struggle.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Apr 05, 2024 8:03 am

Blue Wilf wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2024 7:06 am
I could very well be wrong but I think Moore will start - I am confident enough of it to not change my first goal scorer prediction. Lets hope so! 🤞
This is my thinking too, mind games.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Fri Apr 05, 2024 8:37 am

I just hope that if Moore does play he is fully fit as although he is a key player for us the last thing we need is for him to aggravate his back injury and be out for the remainder of the season.

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Fri Apr 05, 2024 8:59 am

Love the picture of Carrow Road :D

I don't think Moore will start but may be on the bench with McKenna hoping not to use him at all. If the injury is bad enough probably best not to aggravate it. Depends on the medics advice.
Anyway I didn't think Moore did a whole lot against Southampton before his back issue and that Al-Hamadi did well when he came on so not too bothered although Moore will be a miss with his height and strength against Norwich.
Like the look of Al-Hamadi who has great potential.
Type of match that a top 2 side wins so looking for Town to do just that.

Dazzz67

Post by Dazzz67 » Fri Apr 05, 2024 9:09 am

Valley, I believe that photo of Carrow Road was taken following the 25M renovation work carried out late 2021.

Or it could be last year following an explosion in the Canteen during Deliah's re-invention of her famous vindaloo pie, think she was on the Harvey's Bristol cream that day.

Moore will play some part in this fixture.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Fri Apr 05, 2024 9:24 am

Dazzz67 wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2024 9:09 am
Valley, I believe that photo of Carrow Road was taken following the 25M renovation work carried out late 2021.

Or it could be last year following an explosion in the Canteen during Deliah's re-invention of her famous vindaloo pie, think she was on the Harvey's Bristol cream that day.

Moore will play some part in this fixture.
Dazza, I thought it was the hotel by the ground. Every room is environmentally friendly by having no windows and each comes with a room with a view.

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Fri Apr 05, 2024 10:05 am

I kind of agree that Al Hamadi would be no disaster - hopefully far from it but when Moore went off against Southampton, I still had the feeling that we were replacing a Prem striker with a League 2 one (albeit a very good L2 one). I hope so much to be proved wrong!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Apr 05, 2024 10:23 am

valleyroad wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2024 8:59 am
Love the picture of Carrow Road :D

I don't think Moore will start but may be on the bench with McKenna hoping not to use him at all. If the injury is bad enough probably best not to aggravate it. Depends on the medics advice.
Anyway I didn't think Moore did a whole lot against Southampton before his back issue and that Al-Hamadi did well when he came on so not too bothered although Moore will be a miss with his height and strength against Norwich.
Like the look of Al-Hamadi who has great potential.
Type of match that a top 2 side wins so looking for Town to do just that.
Completely agree about Moore's lack of input against Southampton, to be honest I don't think he's been great in any of our recent games and as such I too would be happy to see Al-Hamadi start, I love this guy, he is infectious, he gets the fans going, he can play a bit too. It would be my ideal scenario to see us finally beat them again and for Ali to score the winner.

Mauswara

Post by Mauswara » Fri Apr 05, 2024 11:33 am

Blue Wilf wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2024 10:05 am
I kind of agree that Al Hamadi would be no disaster - hopefully far from it but when Moore went off against Southampton, I still had the feeling that we were replacing a Prem striker with a League 2 one (albeit a very good L2 one). I hope so much to be proved wrong!
Hey, it is Ipswich you're supporting.

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Fri Apr 05, 2024 1:59 pm

Mauswara wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2024 11:33 am
Blue Wilf wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2024 10:05 am
Hey, it is Ipswich you're supporting.
It is indeed but expectations are so much higher than we had 3 years ago. I still think we are light in the striker area but it is what it is. I too love Al Hamadi to bits (even only after a few appearances) and him getting the winner tomorrow would be a huge thing for him and us all but he has never played at this level before. He has done well so far - lets hope it continues 🤞

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Fri Apr 05, 2024 3:56 pm

How do you predict a result in this game? As with the game at PR, beforehand many Budgies would've taken your arm off to get the point they eventually gained. Their home form is very good currently, now I'd suggest a defeat would be deemed a poor return.
For us Town supporters, I guess most of us have had it to the back teeth that we haven't beaten that lot in almost a generation, therefore the win is all that is desired! What have Norwich got if they lose their "you haven't beaten us in 14 years blah blah"? Absolutely nothing, that's what!

So as a 'runner behind enemy lines' what are the vibes I'm picking up? There seems to be quite a bit of 'I think you'll do us this time". They've got a striker in red hot form and I'm surprised I'm not hearing any 'Sargent will have a field day against your defence.' banter! Mind you, I too am being cagey in calling another 2-2 draw when asked! Spare a thought for me tomorrow, I will be in a sports bar in my home town with my mate, the two of us will be very heavily outnumbered by the yellows. Last time there was plenty of very good banter, but then again they were c*ck-a-hoop with the scoreline. I would just love to see the place silenced with a Town win!

Reasons to believe? That rallying cry? Lots of people have drawn many comparisons with our L1 season last year. Many of us were edgy in the run ups to away games at Bolton, Derby, Peterborough and Barnsley and all of the results achieved from those games were beyond belief. The Posh game was the ideal comparison as they were a team who, like Norwich, had been a thorn in our side! We made short work of them!

Let's believe! We can do this! 2-0 to Town! There I've raised my head from the trenches! :lol: :lol:

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Fri Apr 05, 2024 9:36 pm

Think somehow we should beat these bastards, if not there'll be a 73 page spread over at the Pink 'Un about how no Town team has won against them since Buster Keaton was most standout movie star about. Form seems immaterial in games of this nature, however voted to win and believe we'll do it. We have all round better players, more momentum and consistency and even with pivotal names out remain formidable.

Carrow Road may be a bumpkin bonanza and chock full of yokels all expecting to make it tough but we can go there, beat those... and not only take another step towards any auto promotion but jepoardize their own objectives. We have to get a win over them again sooner or later, it has to happen, and think maybe this indicates a real good opportunity to do it. If the players McKena field show the right attitude and desire we'll win it, it seems simple enough.

Atmosphere may turn nasty dependant on who wins or score so those traveling, enjoy the game but guess same time look out for each other.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Apr 06, 2024 7:21 am

Well I've woken up on the morning of the big game feeling so nervous and anxious, hate games against them, for me it's pure agony for Two hours, I just hope that for once something goes our way against them, surely it has to change, Two questionable offside goals at our place is enough luck.

Mauswara

Post by Mauswara » Sat Apr 06, 2024 7:34 am

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2024 7:21 am
Well I've woken up on the morning of the big game feeling so nervous and anxious, hate games against them, for me it's pure agony for Two hours, I just hope that for once something goes our way against them, surely it has to change, Two questionable offside goals at our place is enough luck.
It's all right Mike, we are That Lucky Team now. Everyone says so. Relax.

Steve

Post by Steve » Sat Apr 06, 2024 8:58 am

One of my worse memories was few years ago Norwich fans singing during a game when they were beating us "Top of the league at Portman Road"

They were giving us the fist shuffle and finger gestures and was nothing we could do. They were far better than us in every department but bloody hell it hurt. Still those scenes are buried deep.

How great it would for us to be able to return that chant. "Top of the league at Carrot Road"

Come on Ipswich, we are the better team this time

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Apr 06, 2024 9:20 am

Mike……., I too just woke up, (bit of lie in, late night) ….. and this is what i had in my head to post……..

IT’S DERBY DAY!!!!!

….., mainly because that’s what I shout out loud on waking up on Edinburgh derby day. (And the cabbage’s record v those horrible maroon coloured ones is not anything to write home about!)

but…….. IT’S DERBY DAY!! ——->> and i always feel like what you posted.

Embrace that feeling sick anxiousness, buddy and enjoy the spectacle. I’m 473 miles away and i’ve got that inner tremble of that anxiousness. Like you say…….. players stick to the plan and the refs don’t “make things up” ——>> it’ll all work out.

COME ON, YOU BLUES! LET’S DO IT

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Sat Apr 06, 2024 9:41 am

There's a horrible sick feeling and the early kick-off doesn't help.

However the fans are feeling though, McKenna will be urging his players to ignore the emotion, stick to the plan, go clinical.

So with that in mind I wonder whether the passion of local boy Harry is better over the cool head of Alex?

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Apr 06, 2024 10:13 am

Anyone from this Tractor Boys Dot Com forum going to be at Carrow Road today?

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Apr 06, 2024 11:21 am

Jeezo, its quiet in here on derby day 🤔

Hopefully its because you’re all either in Norwich or down the pub.

Hashtag: destroythosebudgiebstds