Championship - Norwich City vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

The most important fixture of our season on so many levels?

Norwich Win
16%
Ipswich Win
53%
Draw
32%

Total votes: 19

Ricco

Re: Championship - Norwich City vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Ricco » Sat Apr 06, 2024 3:53 pm

Would've rather have gone down 4-3, or even 5-3 for that matter, and had more of a go. Always a tough one as while we do have results against teams in the top half, I can't remember the last time we outplayed any? We've been incredible at getting results while not at our best, I was hoping for the same today, but it wasn't to be, I was expecting to lose or nick a point, so move on and aim to win 4 or the last 5...

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Sat Apr 06, 2024 4:08 pm

So disappointing. . Didnt turn up and in a Derby game.🤷‍♂️ Result required and a performance on Wednesday against Watford

mugen1

Post by mugen1 » Sat Apr 06, 2024 4:30 pm

Be interesting to hear what manager and players have to say.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Apr 06, 2024 4:51 pm

Bizarrely we could still finish the day Top of the Championship Table.

Steve

Post by Steve » Sat Apr 06, 2024 5:02 pm

Charnwood wrote: ↑
Sat Apr 06, 2024 4:51 pm
Seemingly we are second, maybe we got away with one today

Can't afford anymore below par displays nor slip ups

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Sat Apr 06, 2024 5:02 pm

Until you said that :shock:

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Apr 06, 2024 5:10 pm

mendipblue wrote: ↑
Sat Apr 06, 2024 5:02 pm
Until you said that :shock:
Unfortunately it was coming for a long time. I think all three top teams dropping points was too much to expect,

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Apr 06, 2024 5:12 pm

I think most of us would have taken 2nd place tonight after that sh*t fest at Carrow Road at lunch time.

Steve

Post by Steve » Sat Apr 06, 2024 5:27 pm

Sat Apr 06, 2024 5:12 pm
I think most of us would have taken 2nd place tonight after that sh*t fest at Carrow Road at lunch time.
Totally, I certainly would. Still in our hands

Next two games are certainly must win though.. (Where have I heard that before)

rossi

Post by rossi » Sat Apr 06, 2024 5:31 pm

So - Budgies retain bragging rights for at least one more season.

Absolutely gutted - but today KM was totally out-thought in the tactics department, and not one of our players looked remotely interested. KM and the players have let the fans down big time today. Got to hope it's not the play-offs, because if it is then it'll likely be against the Budgies and I'm not at all confident that we can beat them.

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Sat Apr 06, 2024 5:45 pm

rossi wrote: ↑
Sat Apr 06, 2024 5:31 pm

Absolutely gutted - but today KM was totally out-thought in the tactics department, and not one of our players looked remotely interested. KM and the players have let the fans down big time today. Got to hope it's not the play-offs, because if it is then it'll likely be against the Budgies and I'm not at all confident that we can beat them.
What a load of codswallop. KMck was not out thought whats so ever it was just one or those days when we had a off day.The players will be devastated with that performance. They have achieved so much this season puncturing above there weight. Unbelievable, great season short memory :shock:

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Sat Apr 06, 2024 5:49 pm

With only Leicester winning and Leeds losing to Coventry that keeps us in 2nd but Leicester have a game in hand. I hope KM gives his flops a bollocking in the dressing room and keeps them behind watching all the errors and lack of commitment today, next up Watford at home Wednesday I hope they bother to turn up for this match and Kieffer should never have played just give Hamadi his first start also Sarmiento ahead of Broadhead plus Travis in for Luongo, if their tired then give them extra training to make them super fit and can last the full 90 + and also start playing 4.4.2 or 4.3.3. to give more emphasis on striking power, its obvious this 1 up top ain't working so fix it Kieran

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Sat Apr 06, 2024 6:08 pm

Axel.and Broadhead were por today. Hutchinson should cross when opportunity arrives.Bad day at the office. Brilliant season keep the faith 🙏

JamessB

Post by JamessB » Sat Apr 06, 2024 6:11 pm

Maybe not if it is to be a playoff spot - what better time would there be to break the curse!

Although hoping of course that we keep a top two spot

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Apr 06, 2024 6:12 pm

ashfordblue wrote: ↑
Sat Apr 06, 2024 5:49 pm
With only Leicester winning and Leeds losing to Coventry that keeps us in 2nd but Leicester have a game in hand. I hope KM gives his flops a bollocking in the dressing room and keeps them behind watching all the errors and lack of commitment today, next up Watford at home Wednesday I hope they bother to turn up for this match and Kieffer should never have played just give Hamadi his first start also Sarmiento ahead of Broadhead plus Travis in for Luongo, if their tired then give them extra training to make them super fit and can last the full 90 + and also start playing 4.4.2 or 4.3.3. to give more emphasis on striking power, its obvious this 1 up top ain't working so fix it Kieran
Team drops from 1st ----->> to 2nd with 5 games to go in the Championship......, and we see that ^^^^^^^^^^^^ in bold above. :twisted:

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sat Apr 06, 2024 6:23 pm

Still working so I haven’t seen the match, but it sounds like Norwich had the extra toe. :lol:

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sat Apr 06, 2024 6:33 pm

Right off the bat f*ck the score and f*ck any 15 year run with it. So we lost, we didn't win or couldn't get the elusive victory. Move on, there's greater things to concern over and in the grand scheme of things this doesn't really enter into it. We remain in a fantastic position to challenge and far more likely to get any promotion than they can hope to.

maybe we didn't play all too good, never really raised ourselves for such a pivotal fixture or folded on the occasion but really for all games played thus far and progress made, it's been far beyond anyones expectations. Seems other scores today went our way but require to check to verify. Norwich fools can enjoy the win and all else that goes with it but in truth you'll be a second league club name by August while we ourselves far more destined to make it. Few at Town are going to give two shits about this game or indeed today when or if we're promoted by final fixture.

rossi

Post by rossi » Sat Apr 06, 2024 6:41 pm

Sat Apr 06, 2024 5:45 pm

What a load of codswallop. KMck was not out thought whats so ever it was just one or those days when we had a off day.The players will be devastated with that performance. They have achieved so much this season puncturing above there weight. Unbelievable, great season short memory :shock:
An off day? We havn't played well for the last 3 games, we were just lucky in the previous 2.
I wish you were a tyre, Mendip - then I'd take great delight in puncturing you :wink:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Apr 06, 2024 6:42 pm

arana peligrosa wrote: ↑
Sat Apr 06, 2024 6:33 pm
.... it's been far beyond anyones expectations.
Far far FAR beyond anyone's expectations.

Not making excuses for today. Was indeed a bit of a dull one......, but 5 games to go. A$$Whoop Watford @ FPR midweek and it is all still on track.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Apr 06, 2024 6:44 pm

Sadly I agree, I thought defensively they got it absolutely spot on and nullified our strengths.

rossi

Post by rossi » Sat Apr 06, 2024 6:57 pm

It's far from codswallop, although as an armchair fan I don't really expect you to understand it. Those of us that have supported the club for over 60 years are entitled to expect more from a game against our most bitter rivals, especially given how long it's been since we last beat them. KM and the players are professionals, and are paid well to do a job - today they did not do their jobs anything like properly.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sat Apr 06, 2024 8:03 pm

marko69 wrote: ↑
Sat Apr 06, 2024 6:42 pm
arana peligrosa wrote: ↑
Sat Apr 06, 2024 6:33 pm
.... it's been far beyond anyones expectations.
Far far FAR beyond anyone's expectations.

Not making excuses for today. Was indeed a bit of a dull one......, but 5 games to go. A$$Whoop Watford @ FPR midweek and it is all still on track.
Watford play some good football.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Apr 06, 2024 8:27 pm

They are quite ordinary really. Due to Porteous in defence, there is my closer than usual interest in them. They’re nowt special. ITFC should pump them @ PR.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Sat Apr 06, 2024 10:44 pm

Fortunately I don't recall much of the game!! I remember a couple of games of pool afterwards (i lost), but after that??? I think I got home about 7.30pm but not sure how, all i can remember is some good Samaritan called Vlad asking if I was ok and offering to see that I got home safely having seen a load of blood on the railway footbridge (not mine, I hasten to add.....well not that it appears to have been)! I vaguely recall Coventry taking a 2-0 lead but everything else??? At 54 years of age I really don't recall being as pi**ed as that before! I know there was some great post match banter, but maybe the pain of another fruitless Carrow Rd visit needed to be obliterated from the mind!

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Sat Apr 06, 2024 11:12 pm

Sat Apr 06, 2024 6:41 pm

An off day? We havn't played well for the last 3 games, we were just lucky in the previous 2.
I wish you were a tyre, Mendip - then I'd take great delight in puncturing you :wink:
If you spent more time talking sense rather than being the punctuation police people might take you seriously. As for punching me which I assume is your play on words. My god you are deluded.. :x :lol:

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Sat Apr 06, 2024 11:33 pm

Sat Apr 06, 2024 6:57 pm

It's far from codswallop, although as an armchair fan I don't really expect you to understand it. Those of us that have supported the club for over 60 years are entitled to expect more from a game against our most bitter rivals, especially given how long it's been since we last beat them. KM and the players are professionals, and are paid well to do a job - today they did not do their jobs anything like properly.
Once again you talk codswallop. You are the master of talking absolute rubbish. You assume so much but actually know nothing. Armchair? Wow, you allegedly live closer than I do to PR but you seem unable to attend.. Do you travel to watch Town. Again of course you dont..Was you there today of course you were not. Sat in your busted spring armchair from over use no doubt. 🤣🤣 Whatever you respond with will be ignored because your not worth it. I am laughing at you 🤣 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Sun Apr 07, 2024 12:15 am

marko69 wrote: ↑
Sat Apr 06, 2024 6:12 pm
ashfordblue wrote: ↑
Sat Apr 06, 2024 5:49 pm
Team drops from 1st ----->> to 2nd with 5 games to go in the Championship......, and we see that ^^^^^^^^^^^^ in bold above. :twisted:
Marco me old fruit we have been very lucky with our last 2 games wins, this time we were 2nd best we should never have started with Kieffer up top he's been injured on the subs bench yes this game always calls for desire and passion for the badge and Hamadi and Sarmiento should have started they would have busted a gut to try and score, well here's a fact if we continue to not turn up in our remaining matches we can kiss goodbye to auto's and only be in the playoffs against possibles WBA, Southampton, Scum, Coventry, we can only pray that Leicester and Leeds lose a couple more games, But that's my negative thoughts out, now let us bust a gut the remaining 5 games COYB

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sun Apr 07, 2024 12:20 am

Not sure what’s going on, but the last three games we’ve looked disorganized and tentative although Sarmiento certainly reacted against Southampton. My concern is we can’t keep riding our luck if we want automatic promotion. Think it’s time for Kieran to take a deep breath and settle the squad. I feel a more mature approach to our remaining games is necessary and we can’t rely on sub surge late in the second half to bail us out. Control games and play possession football and be patient. Stop conceding! I’m confident KM will get us playing well again. Oh and btw, f*ck off Canary inbreds!

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Apr 07, 2024 12:45 am

Being as pished as that, Azzurro is not too bad in the moment……. But man, a rough Sunday to follow. Hair o’ the dug Sunday? Or is it a recoup Sunday? Hope it was worth it anyway, result aside of course…… the banter usually does make it better.

Ash……. Your first sentence (after the fruit part) , “last two games……” Thats exactly the point.
Game 39 & 40 of 46. 🤷‍♂️ Its a tough old season. They’ve all exceeded expectations. Manager included.
And “kissing autos goodbye” 🤷‍♂️ ….. No one even expected play-offs! :lol:

On here, its one f**king rollercoaster season with you lot. Team started well. Then slipped a bit.
“Might not even make play-offs now”…… then they picked up.
“We’re going for autos now”
Now after an away, single goal derby defeat, “kiss the autos goodbye” EVEN AFTER THE SARMIENTO BOUNCE last Wednesday……. Its a rollercoaster.
Got to hope Kieron McKenna stays the fk away from Ipswich Town fan forums. Jaysus feckin H Christ. 🤦‍♂️

QldBlue

Post by QldBlue » Sun Apr 07, 2024 12:54 am

All I heard in the lead up to this one was how form goes out the window in these types of derby games and sure enough, we played way below our capabilities. Felt like we were stuck in 2nd gear the whole game and worse than that, I couldn’t shake the feeling that if we could just turn it on for 15 mins they were there for the taking.

So we lost - but only for the sixth time this season. Six ffs!
For me, nothing can ever detract from what an amazing season this has been. If we win 2 more we’ll be on 93 points. Looking at the last 20 years, that’s the highest Championship points haul for any 2nd place auto. That’s the one thing that bothers me about all this: the fact that we could pile on so many points and still not necessarily get an auto promotion spot.

The playoffs this year are going to have absolutely savage quality whoever it ends up being. Three strong home performances and I believe we can avoid them.