Championship - Ipswich Town vs Watford FC Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Will we bounce back from the Derby match?

Ipswich Win
83%
Watford Win
8%
Draw
8%

Total votes: 12

Denny61

Re: Championship - Ipswich Town vs Watford FC Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Denny61 » Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:18 pm

Middlesbrough will be going all out for 3 points on Saturday .Will suit us as more open space for us ..Watford just wanted to spoil the party tonight playing More defence . .bur only downside if we beat Borough ..it will be in to Leeds hands as they will be probly out of the running for play offs and be down beat and no hunger to win ..

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:29 pm

Watford were a very competent side who defended well. We were not at our sparkling best but played well generally. It happens and is not ideal but also no disaster. We move on and need to try again on Saturday - then they have a 2 week rest so no excuses after that! COYB's!!!!

number 9

Post by number 9 » Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:31 pm

After getting banned from the forum, I’ve had some time to reflect on my passion for ITFC. Like everyone, I want automatic promotion and if that doesn’t happen we still have a chance via the playoffs. We could be in mid table mediocrity right now, but we’re fighting for promotion until the final whistle is blown. There are wars going on where people don’t know if they will survive. Rampant inflation is affecting all of us in some shape or form. If we don’t go up, we’ve certainly worn the shirt tough and proud. Still a lot more football to play, but it’s just that…football! Take care and hug your loved ones while you can. If not this year, we’ll be going up next time.

COYB!!

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:45 pm

number 9 wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:31 pm
After getting banned from the forum, I’ve had some time to reflect on my passion for ITFC. Like everyone, I want automatic promotion and if that doesn’t happen we still have a chance via the playoffs. We could be in mid table mediocrity right now, but we’re fighting for promotion until the final whistle is blown. There are wars going on where people don’t know if they will survive. Rampant inflation is affecting all of us in some shape or form. If we don’t go up, we’ve certainly worn the shirt tough and proud. Still a lot more football to play, but it’s just that…football! Take care and hug your loved ones while you can. If not this year, we’ll be going up next time.

COYB!!

Nice one 9 👍

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:55 am

Middlesbrough going to make our job twice twice as hard next up as they dropped vital points themselves in this round of games. Just makes it tougher for us in trying to get a result from it. Any team from three that makes it out in May from this league sure is going to have battle for it.

At first glance Watford appear a mid-league club name going nowhere fast but in truth seems they made it tough for us particularly after interval and just recent took some scores and results some would argue they're not really entitled. The Nayim spectacular near the end would have really spoiled things considerably and whether the opposition improved after the break or not this was a game in which we didn't deserve to be beaten.

If we're going to be promoted looks like it could well be the hard way as future games point towards teams with their own promotion objective. The two points dropped here could be pivotal by end of season and if we fail, many could well look to this instance of where the team fell short. It's very uncharacteristic for this squad to fail scoring in two successive games. We should have won this one, believe some think (that because) we're in second position, nearest challengers dropping points also and a run of winnable games next up, automatic promotion is there for the taking. You got to understand it doesn't work that way, there's still work to be done and the team could just as easily miss out.

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:21 am

Didn't think performance was too bad last night.
A wee bit of good fortune in first half and could have been a couple of goals up.
Though Moore should have scored with his chance though ?
Second half Watford were superb in defence with 2 centre backs outstanding.
Always rated Porteous at Hibs so no surprise there.
Just as well there final ball in final third was poor or it could have been worse !
First half thought Hutchison was really good and was the key to unlocking Watford, second half fell out of it a bit.
I thought overall the rotation of the squad worked and gave a good few players a rest which can only be good with fixtures coming up.

Another tough match up next against Boro but they are all tough now, so if going up need to win.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:32 am

Agree with all that Valley, I watched the highlights on Town TV earlier and 1st half we actually played very well and were unfortunate not to score, as you say second half was more down to Watford shoring up the defence pretty well. All said and done we just have to match or better Leeds and we're up, another game ticked off.

rossi

Post by rossi » Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:28 am

mendipblue wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:45 pm
ashfordblue wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:36 pm
Ok will someone fill me in on the 1st half action if any
Town have had the best two chances. Broadhead hit the inside of the post and Moore had a great header well saved. We are still playing a bit to slow for my liking.and need to up the pace. Watford looking for scraps on the break.
Really???? 'Cos from my seat on the halfway line, what I saw was that it was indeed a good powerful header by Moore, but it was directed straight at the goalkeeper and the ball bounced away off of his arms before he knew anything about it. Half a yard either side of the keeper and it was a certain goal. Maybe your TV screen was fogged up, Mendip :lol: :lol: :lol:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:51 am

Thought ITFC were absolutely superb in the first half last night. Completely dominated Watford and some of the passages of play were incredible. It’d be awesome if there was an inside info camera to see chats between the boss and players. He’s just too young to have transformed such a big club from the Lambert days to this in such a short space of time.

Great pity that Watford defended so well. But a very satisfying 0-0 draw for me.

And Hanky…….. well done at the end, but……., you must’ve had poo stains on your shorts!

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:48 am

marko69 wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:51 am
Thought ITFC were absolutely superb in the first half last night. Completely dominated Watford and some of the passages of play were incredible. It’d be awesome if there was an inside info camera to see chats between the boss and players. He’s just too young to have transformed such a big club from the Lambert days to this in such a short space of time.

Great pity that Watford defended so well. But a very satisfying 0-0 draw for me.

And Hanky…….. well done at the end, but……., you must’ve had poo stains on your shorts!
Hladky really does worry me sometimes how far he ventures outside his area, sooner or later he will get caught especially with Edmundson with the ball at his feet as he really does worry me and always looks like an accident waiting to happen. So many times last night I found myself shouting at the telly telling Hladky to get back in his box thinking he could hear me. 🤣🤣🤣

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:56 am

rossi wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:28 am
mendipblue wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:45 pm
ashfordblue wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:36 pm
Ok will someone fill me in on the 1st half action if any
Town have had the best two chances. Broadhead hit the inside of the post and Moore had a great header well saved. We are still playing a bit to slow for my liking.and need to up the pace. Watford looking for scraps on the break.
Really???? 'Cos from my seat on the halfway line, what I saw was that it was indeed a good powerful header by Moore, but it was directed straight at the goalkeeper and the ball bounced away off of his arms before he knew anything about it. Half a yard either side of the keeper and it was a certain goal. Maybe your TV screen was fogged up, Mendip :lol: :lol: :lol:
I’m with Rossi on this one. Yes it was a powerful header from close range too but given the direction the ball came from it would have been just as easy to send it back in the same direction to the keepers left where there was a huge space that he had no chance to cover. On target it would have been a certain goal.

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:01 am

Charnwood wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:48 am
marko69 wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:51 am

Hladky really does worry me sometimes how far he ventures outside his area, sooner or later he will get caught especially with Edmundson with the ball at his feet as he really does worry me and always looks like an accident waiting to happen. So many times last night I found myself shouting at the telly telling Hladky to get back in his box thinking he could hear me. 🤣🤣🤣
I think that shot at the end was a complete fluke and wasn't meant as an attempt on goal. Haven't seen a replay of it though.
Hladky playing like this starts a move really quickly and allows Town to play high up the pitch
I think that Hladky is taking less risk with the ball at his feet than earlier in the season. I think McKenna and coaches have had a word on it as when he was being pressed earlier in the season he would just find a man whether that man was under pressure or not. Recently he has been just getting rid when that has happened.
Still gives me the fear though as always waiting for the clanger !

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:32 am

We have to accept that one of the main reasons we are where we are is down to the competence of Hladky with ball at feet and starting virtually every move this season, he has been brilliant for 95% of it, with such a high risk strategy you are never going to go through a season without a few hairy moments but the rewards are clear for all to see. He's up there as a contender for POTS in my book.

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:35 am

Bluemike wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:32 am
We have to accept that one of the main reasons we are where we are is down to the competence of Hladky with ball at feet and starting virtually every move this season, he has been brilliant for 95% of it, with such a high risk strategy you are never going to go through a season without a few hairy moments but the rewards are clear for all to see. He's up there as a contender for POTS in my book.
Agree and if Walton hadn't got injured then Hladky would probably be sitting on the bench looking for a new club at the end of his contract.
Funny how these things work out !

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:53 am

Last three posts, agree 95%……. 5% off for you Valley……. That was a shot on target every day of the week. When you look again, im 25% sure you’ll agree! Im 75% sure of it.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Apr 11, 2024 12:19 pm

valleyroad wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:35 am
Bluemike wrote:
Agree and if Walton hadn't got injured then Hladky would probably be sitting on the bench looking for a new club at the end of his contract.
Possibly but I think Walton may have started the season in goal, no way would have been there long as he's hopeless with ball at feet. I actually see him moving on in the Summer which I'm happy with tbh.

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:19 pm

Edmundson was a discussion point for us last night. His positional skills are far better than Woolfie's but his distribution is poorer - and slower which often causes issues. The other thing is just how vulnerable we often are to opposing wingers. We leave loads of space and have often has goals scored against us via those routes. I guess it is just a consequence of Davis and Harry being much better when attacking than when defending? Have to take the rough with the smooth I guess. It also seemed that every second ball went to Watford. We chased them down but always came out second best. I am not sure if that is a function of luck of the bounce or other teams are better at the second ball.

All of these questions aside, I still can't believe that the shot that hit the post didn't go in! It defies physics! Those are the tiny incidences that promotion and relegation depend on. Still - 4 games to go. Just 4 games and still masters of our own destiny... COYB's!!!!

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:22 pm

Oh and their number 16 - can't remember his name, was class in the first half and a worry every time he go the ball and ran at us. His shooting however (fortunately for us) was pants - as was his attempt to look like Jack Grealish. Was relieved when they subbed him.

Andym

Post by Andym » Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:48 pm

valleyroad wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:21 am
Didn't think performance was too bad last night.
A wee bit of good fortune in first half and could have been a couple of goals up.
Though Moore should have scored with his chance though ?
Second half Watford were superb in defence with 2 centre backs outstanding.
Always rated Porteous at Hibs so no surprise there.
Just as well there final ball in final third was poor or it could have been worse !
First half thought Hutchison was really good and was the key to unlocking Watford, second half fell out of it a bit.
I thought overall the rotation of the squad worked and gave a good few players a rest which can only be good with fixtures coming up.

Another tough match up next against Boro but they are all tough now, so if going up need to win.
Agree pretty much with all this. We could/should have scored in the first 20 seconds too.
The only thing I'm not so sure about is Hutchinson. Greta on the ball but
(a) he still needs to learn to pass sooner on some occasions
(b) his passing/crossing ability is way below his skill with the ball at his feet. He actually created very few chances last night because of the final ball. A great young player in the making but he must improve those aspects of his game.

I think Watford came to give us a game but by half time realised they couldn't match us so just defended - and defended very well - second half. Disappointing result which may well cost us an automatic promotion place, but a very enjoyable 45 minutes.

Regarding Hladky, he comes way outside his area so the defence can play a higher line, and he can pick up the ball over the top. He may well cost us a goal one day, but - as with his playing out from the back - when he does, he we need to remember the goals prevented by coming out of the area or created by playing out. In my opinion it works very well.

Final comment: we do need to move the ball quicker at times. Short one-touch like we played at the start of the season.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:49 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2024 12:19 pm
valleyroad wrote:
Bluemike wrote:
Possibly but I think Walton may have started the season in goal, no way would have been there long as he's hopeless with ball at feet. I actually see him moving on in the Summer which I'm happy with tbh.
Hladky has been ever present all season and only made way for Skicker twice or Walton 3 times for Cup games. He’s been MOTM at least 8 times and has to be one of the front runners for our POTS especially when you consider how many points he’s saved us let alone how many moves he’s started. Hopefully a new contract has been offered even if it hasn’t been signed yet.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:57 pm

Andym wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:48 pm
Final comment: we do need to move the ball quicker at times. Short one-touch like we played at the start of the season.
I think the biggest difference is the opposition, who would pay Ipswich respect at the start of the season? We had so many more chances to counter at the start of the season.

I think we may look slower and deeper with the ball now because we're trying to draw and entice teams out more, because they're cautious and they're now coming to PR to play for a point and try and pinch one, rather than having a go.

Just my two penn'orth. If you play quick stuff against a team that has gotten back and organised defensively, you're far more likely to lose possession. Change of gear here and there yes, but it may be an opposition thing, rather than a change in our style??

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Thu Apr 11, 2024 3:07 pm

Ricco wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:57 pm
Andym wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:48 pm
I think the biggest difference is the opposition, who would pay Ipswich respect at the start of the season? We had so many more chances to counter at the start of the season.

I think we may look slower and deeper with the ball now because we're trying to draw and entice teams out more, because they're cautious and they're now coming to PR to play for a point and try and pinch one, rather than having a go.

Just my two penn'orth. If you play quick stuff against a team that has gotten back and organised defensively, you're far more likely to lose possession. Change of gear here and there yes, but it may be an opposition thing, rather than a change in our style??

You’re absolutely bang on here Ricco, nail bashed fair and square bang on the head. Our recent struggle has far more to do with the oppositions set up and respect for us than us gone off the boil. Watford last night was an classic example of that and we have to expect more of the same against Middlesbrough, Hull and Coventry.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Thu Apr 11, 2024 3:42 pm

As has already been said, whether you like Burns or not, we are missing his surging runs in around the opposition's penalty box. I've said it a hundred times, if you want to loosen compact defenses you have to run at them to draw defenders out of position and create channels of space. If you get into the penalty box, it obviously also increases the chance of contact resulting in penalties. A lot of players cross the ball far too early...too far in front of attacking forwards making it easy for defenders to intercept the pass. I think Jackson is a player guilty of crossing too early pretty regularly.

On another note, I've commented numerous times on our inability to protect the wings especially on counter attacks. However, I thought we covered well last night even though Watford had players open on the wings. I've also noticed Hladky is getting the ball out quicker and further forward when there are now other options. He made too many risky passes to pressured players earlier in the season.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Apr 11, 2024 4:30 pm

number 9 wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2024 3:42 pm
As has already been said, whether you like Burns or not, we are missing his surging runs in around the opposition's penalty box. I've said it a hundred times, if you want to loosen compact defenses you have to run at them to draw defenders out of position and create channels of space. If you get into the penalty box, it obviously also increases the chance of contact resulting in penalties. A lot of players cross the ball far too early...too far in front of attacking forwards making it easy for defenders to intercept the pass. I think Jackson is a player guilty of crossing too early pretty regularly.

On another note, I've commented numerous times on our inability to protect the wings especially on counter attacks. However, I thought we covered well last night even though Watford had players open on the wings. I've also noticed Hladky is getting the ball out quicker and further forward when there are now other options. He made too many risky passes to pressured players earlier in the season.
Spot on with that part. Especially last couple fixtures. Confident he’d certainly have been a difference maker in the EA derby game.

Denny61

Post by Denny61 » Thu Apr 11, 2024 5:09 pm

Two questions...Will burns be back for our last two or three games ?? And if we lose or draw on sat can we see just the play off so..jst can't see the other two loosing enough of points to still keep up in the hunt .but then again..nothing suprises me anymore

Denny61

Post by Denny61 » Thu Apr 11, 2024 5:10 pm

Us in the hunt ..sorry typo

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Apr 11, 2024 5:16 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:49 pm
Bluemike wrote:
valleyroad wrote:

Hladky has been ever present all season and only made way for Skicker twice or Walton 3 times for Cup games. He’s been MOTM at least 8 times and has to be one of the front runners for our POTS especially when you consider how many points he’s saved us let alone how many moves he’s started. Hopefully a new contract has been offered even if it hasn’t been signed yet.
Yep, the point I was making was that had he not got injured Walton may well have started the season in goal, he wouldn't have lasted long, and yes, as I mentioned in a earlier post Hladky is deffo in the running for POTS as far as I'm concerned

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:46 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2024 5:16 pm
Charnwood wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:49 pm
Bluemike wrote:

Yep, the point I was making was that had he not got injured Walton may well have started the season in goal, he wouldn't have lasted long, and yes, as I mentioned in a earlier post Hladky is deffo in the running for POTS as far as I'm concerned

If we get promotion Leif Davis will definitely be in the frame for POTS with a blind eye turned to some of his shocking defending which might just get remembered if promotion doesn’t happen. But most likely top of the short list will be Sam Morsy who is a fantastic leader on the pitch and for me our stand out player, with Hladky not far behind.