Championship - Ipswich Town vs Watford FC Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Will we bounce back from the Derby match?

Ipswich Win
83%
Watford Win
8%
Draw
8%

Total votes: 12

Frosty
Forum Owner

Championship - Ipswich Town vs Watford FC Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Frosty » Sun Apr 07, 2024 10:01 pm

Image Ipswich Town v Watford Image

Wednesday 10th April 2024 – 19:45

Portman Road

Pre-Match Thoughts - Mike

Well that was the biggest anti climax for many a long day, the local Derby was bigged up massively but just failed to live up to it's billing in any way, shape or form, in fact it was a dull bore fest from start to finish, probably One of the worst East Anglian Derby's I can recall watching and not just for the bitterly disappointing result, I just felt it was as flat as a pancake. Of course those of a Yellow & Green persuasion will feel differently as all that really matters is the result in these games and they deservedly got it without really having to be anything special themselves.

It wasn't just the result that disappointed me, in fact I was more upset by the lack of passion shown by our boys, they looked deflated and lethargic for most of the game and that for me is something that I find hard to take, of course they wouldn't ever go out and not give it their all, especially this bunch but something just didn't seem right, with so much at stake on the day and indeed the bigger picture they will all know they did not do themselves justice on the day. Too many players, big players, flattered to deceive, Chaplin, Broadhead, Moore, Hutchinson and Luongo can do much better and on the day were poor, I also felt our Two Full backs struggled, Axel had a poor day and Leif Davis just got very little delivery right for a change. While I felt Hladky did ok he too will know that a free kick from Thirty yards should not really go through his hands as it did and he will be disappointed also. I felt Al-Hamadi looked very lively and hungry when he came on and I would 100% start with him on Wednesday night.

Strangely enough the day finished quite good for us, thanks to Leeds Utd's defeat at Coventry we still remain in the automatic places with things still very much in our hands with just Five massive games to go, of course we will need to play better, a lot better, than we did at Norwich though and thankfully we know we can, we always bounce back in a positive way after any setback so that has to happen again this coming week.

Having Two home games in the space of Four days is crucial and we just have to take advantage and take maximum points, nothing else will do, we have to assume Leeds will win theirs even though that is not certain what with them also looking at a bit of a wobble in performances recently. Home matches against Watford & Middlesbrough won't be easy for sure but could be a whole lot worse too, they are two teams we have beaten on their own patch earlier in the season and as such we know we have it in us to collect Six points. Watford on paper could be the slightly easier One as they literally are One of the few teams in the Championship with nothing to play for, of course that could see them totally relaxed and dangerous but often it helps, Middlesbrough on the other hand still have a very slim chance of the play offs and will know it's last chance saloon for them, again it could go Two ways, they have to go for it as they must win and that could just see them open and there for the taking.

The reason these Two home games are so crucial is because after that we then have two very tough away games at Hull City & Coventry City who are both vying for a play off place and who look very dangerous indeed going on Saturday's wins, Hull scored One superb team goal that was right up there with the goal we scored against them at Portman Road, if you haven't seen it go take a look. Coventry too look bang in form right now and impressed against Leeds, they also have a Cup Semi-Final on the horizon which could actually be a little bit of a hindrance for them in the lead up to the game against us.

In summary, we were poor for about only the Third time this season, very poor and I think it hurts more because it was against that grubby lot up the road who love nothing more than to gloat about Fifteen years blah blah blah which is about all they can gloat about, but we got away with it and are still masters of our own destiny, the famous Portman Road roar will be invaluable this week and we need it more than ever in these next Two, should we win them and Leeds have a slip up we will be so so close to touching the Premier league and who would have believed that last August ? Not One of us in truth. It is still there for us, it really is, we have to believe, McKenna won't get it wrong too often and for that we should be confident of a great run in for the remaining games, Five wins, sounds a lot but we've done it before but for now it's One game at a time as has been the case, the players will be smarting and desperate to atone for the Carrow Road no show so cheer them louder than ever before while realising just what they have achieved this season and we may just drag them over the line, we have a part to play which sometimes is undervalued.

Watford at home Wednesday evening and it's a Town win for me and going on previous bounce backs I think it may be in some style too, hopefully Mckenna tinkers with the starting line up this time, I would like to see Al-Hamadi, Sarmiento, Taylor and Clarke in from the start. Everything still to play for, believe !!!!!! COYB'S

The Opposition – Watford - Honours

League

First Division
Runners-up: 1982–83

Second Division / Championship
Runners-up: 1981–82, 2014–15, 2020–21
Play-off winners: 1999, 2006

Third Division
Champions: 1968–69, 1997–98
Runners-up: 1978–79

Fourth Division
Champions: 1977–78

Southern Football League
Champions: 1914–15
Runners-up: 1919–20

Cup

FA Cup
Runners-up: 1983–84, 2018–19

The Manager - Tom Cleverly

League Table as at 07.04.2024

Form Guide

Ipswich Town

9 Mar Cardiff City 2 - 1 Ipswich Town

16 Mar Ipswich Town 6 - 0 Sheffield Wed

29 Mar Blackburn 0 - 1 Ipswich Town

1 Apr Ipswich Town 3 - 2 Southampton

6 Apr Norwich City 1 - 0 Ipswich Town

Watford

9 Mar Watford 1 - 2 Coventry City

16 Mar Birmingham City 0 - 1 Watford

29 Mar Watford 2 - 2 Leeds Utd

1 Apr West Brom 2 - 2 Watford

6 Apr Watford 0 - 0 Preston

Head to Head

Match Referee – Sam Barrott

IPSWICH TOWN 2 WATFORD 1

number 9

Re: Championship - Ipswich Town vs Watford FC Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by number 9 » Sun Apr 07, 2024 10:24 pm

That’s a very honest preview, thanks! I don’t know what to say. We are in a position to get an automatic promotion, but we have to start dominating matches. We started with a very strong side against Norwich, yet we failed to play the football we know we can. Remember, Watford played very well against Leeds…we need to up our game. Too many lackluster performances are catching up. Unless we’re on top form, I fear this could be a draw at best. If you were KM, what would you tell the players?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Apr 08, 2024 8:13 am

I would be telling the players that the Norwich game has gone and it was nothing more than a bad day at the office, I would impress on them just how good they have been by sticking to the game plan and remind them of just how close we are to our end goal, to go out and play their normal game , it's served us well thus far.

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:20 am

Hutchison to start delivering crosses instead of getting played in down the line then overplaying and turning back into trouble. Have a look at what Burns did against BC and start turning up against the bigger outfits.
Chaplin to start scoring again and taking half chances.
Moore to start doing what he did when he first arrived.
Hladkey to expect that every free kick can be scored from no matter how far out. I know it swerved and bounced etc but he should have saved it. Switched off for a second and it cost him.
Luongo to get back to what he was doing earlier in the season, same as Moore.

Tough game on Wednesday but no easy games now, so need to win.
I think Town will win this but have been riding their luck for quite a while now and need to put in a performance.
I think they will.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:31 pm

Nice preview and the derby summed up exactly to how it panned out. Theeee most boring borefest for many a year.
I was actually thinking during that game that “the meaning” of derbies is lost in the modern game. For players i mean. For fans its always the first fixture checked on the new season fixture list…….. but players? Nope. Like Wolves loanee Matt Doherty after a 5-1 Cup Final pumping; laughing…… couldnt give two hoots.
Gone are the days of guys like Brian Talbot bursting a gut in an East Angular derby.
History though. As Denny61 says, “move on”.

Do agree that Watford will be tricky but got to believe, with so much at stake, and at Portman Road, that the team will show up (hopefully Bristol City game level performance, Valley) , and do them proper. Obviously a tight 1-0 or 2-1 will suffice, but …… a 6-0 Wednesday type performance on Wednesday would be awesome.

If i was McKenna, i’d just be reiterating that they’re second in the league on merit and busting a gut performances when the chips have been down. Which means the ability is there when adversity in right in your face. Id also say, think of Elton John and some of his songs, not all, but some. Think how much they annoy you. Wednesday night is alright for fighting so no sad songs, get out there and kiss the bride, or if you can’t do that, kiss the badge with pride and “ROCKET” this club back to the top “MAN”.

2-0 ITFC

Caption:

Ref: “ROOOCKET MAAAAAAN…… …..”
Ismael: “Are you being serious, Ref? Stop that.”

trimleyblue
Global Moderator

Post by trimleyblue » Mon Apr 08, 2024 5:44 pm

Wasn't Ismael sacked last month?

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Mon Apr 08, 2024 6:53 pm

trimleyblue wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2024 5:44 pm
Aye its Tom Cleverley who is in charge now but given how they operate he might not be by Wednesday !

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Tue Apr 09, 2024 4:34 pm

They call themselves Hornets but got a moose on the club crest, maybe someone need explain that sometime. Voted to win in that we need to, anything else isn't really an option.

They had some standout scores in last month and seem able to hold their own against more heavyweight opposition. This should be a concern going into this but our players have to give something back after an unacceptable performance at Purgatory Road. Once again either Leeds or Leicester look set to drop points, we have to take advantage of this opportunity. It's a home team victory but by what score remains open to question.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:10 pm

Is this match on TownTV? I’m not seeing it on ESPN+!

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:23 pm

number 9 wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:10 pm
It’s on Sky TV on the Red Button with 3 other Championship games at Birmingham City, Bristol City, Hull City & West Brom. Hope you can get it over there, especially after tonight’s results.

Not a game to be missed with the chance of going top again.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:53 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:23 pm
number 9 wrote:
It’s on Sky TV on the Red Button with 3 other Championship games at Birmingham City, Bristol City, Hull City & West Brom. Hope you can get it over there, especially after tonight’s results.

Well I hope I’m able to watch it! It’s really a fuckin joke in this day and age I have to work so hard to watch a fuckin football match! Last time I checked, it’s 2024!

Frosty
Forum Owner

Post by Frosty » Wed Apr 10, 2024 12:22 am

valleyroad wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2024 6:53 pm
trimleyblue wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2024 5:44 pm
Aye its Tom Cleverley who is in charge now but given how they operate he might not be by Wednesday !
Thanks chaps, I normally check the facts before I put the thread up as I usually prepare the preview templates a few weeks in advance.

Probably the only time I didn't cross check this season, obviously I also had an off day last weekend too.

lucy

Post by lucy » Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:54 am

Is anyone else feeling nervous for Tonight

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:00 am

lucy wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:54 am
Is anyone else feeling nervous for Tonight
Yes, a large part of me wants to skip to the end of the season and just see the final result. The rest of me wonders why the hell I am a football supporter if that is how I feel :?

number 9

Post by number 9 » Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:12 am

number 9 wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:53 pm
Charnwood wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:23 pm
number 9 wrote:

Well I hope I’m able to watch it! It’s really a fuckin joke in this day and age I have to work so hard to watch a fuckin football match! Last time I checked, it’s 2024!
Ok, it’s available on TownTV over here!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Apr 10, 2024 11:44 am

I hope Mckenna is brave tonight, I think Moore and Tuanzebe need replacing with Al-Hamadi and Clarke, I also think we need Travis or Taylor in for Luongo, the team clearly needs freshening up as we looked so tired and jaded Saturday but we could just have gotten away with it, if we could be top of the table with the Southampton and Norwich games out of the way it would be fantastic and not something any of us envisaged or expected, a win tonight is absolutely massive.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Apr 10, 2024 12:23 pm

I was actually going to post something similar to this, Mike.
Very much a supporter of Kieron, but if the derby game line up is almost identical to tonight, then there will a few WTF questions entering the head. That first half v Norwich was woeful. Absolutely zero intensity whatsoever. (Thats the main reason was speaking of derby day hunger and it not existing anymore)……. But i really do think Al Hamadi should be given the nod over Moore tonight. Starting fast, catching Watford out with a fast pace could pay huge dividends. Especially if Elton John & Co have done their homework watching ANY of that Norwich game.

Let’s see a few changes, Kieron. For tonight, really feel it’s required.

Sticking with the 2-0 ITFC. GOT to be after last nights superb results.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Wed Apr 10, 2024 12:36 pm

Fingers crossed they're inspired by last night's results, but that hasn't been the case trying to capitalise on Leicester and Leeds results before. It must be a lot of pressure for the players, there's no way that they're not trying as hard as they can at this point, surely that's madness. They have a lot of miles in their legs and a lot of pressure in their heads, that's enough to knock 20% off anyone's game.

I do think par tonight is possibly a draw, as negative as that sounds. In their last 3, Watford have drawn with Leeds, West Brom and Preston, so it would actually be a great result to take all 3. Would love to see that happen and an uptick in performance to go with it.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Apr 10, 2024 1:06 pm

I don't think there is any question they are trying, they were just a spent force at Norwich and it needs a freshen up.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Wed Apr 10, 2024 1:10 pm

Well Rossi has been a supporter for over 60 years and he was entitled to expect more from them 8)

rossi

Post by rossi » Wed Apr 10, 2024 1:26 pm

Ricco wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2024 1:10 pm
Well Rossi has been a supporter for over 60 years and he was entitled to expect more from them 8)
exactly - these players have nothing to do all week except to train and get themselves as fit as possible. I certainly do not buy in to the view that they are jaded after playing 2 games a week for a couple of weeks- they certainly should not be. I said after the Cardiff defeat that all i hoped for going forward was that KM and the players would be a bit braver, and the suggestions made by Mike for tonights team selection are indicative of the bravery required.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Apr 10, 2024 1:29 pm

I watched the highlights of last nights Sheffield Wednesday v Norwich game and can’t believe how easily The Owls scored two late goals both from corners. In fact from a fraction of our possession Wednesday had 12 shots, 5 on target and 10 corners compared with our 10, 3 and 6 on Saturday which suggests they put Norwich under far more pressure than us. This leads me to believe that once again Norwich were far more able to raise their game for a local Derby than we could which needs to change if we’re ever going to win one of these fixtures again.

Hopefully tonight we’ll prepare and play our normal game which has served us so well this season. As others have said I hope to see Harry Clarke and Ali Al-Hamadi in the starting line up and possibly Travis too if we have any aspirations to keep a clean sheet.

A win tonight would put a toe in the door can automatic promotion place. I just hope and pray this doesn’t add too much pressure on the players selected to make it happen.

COYB’s, I believe you can make it happen. Please don’t disappoint me. 🙏🚜⚽️💙

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Wed Apr 10, 2024 1:39 pm

rossi wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2024 1:26 pm
exactly - these players have nothing to do all week except to train and get themselves as fit as possible. I certainly do not buy in to the view that they are jaded after playing 2 games a week for a couple of weeks- they certainly should not be.
Question Rossi, how do you see the toll/intensity of the modern game vs what it was in the 70s/80s? Personally I think it's not even recognisable and can't even be compared from a physical or mental point of view. The only thing that brings the fitness requirements up of yesteryear in comparison were the weighty boots/ball and heavy pitches.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Apr 10, 2024 1:51 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2024 1:29 pm
I watched the highlights of last nights Sheffield Wednesday v Norwich game and can’t believe how easily The Owls scored two late goals both from corners. In fact from a fraction of our possession Wednesday had 12 shots, 5 on target and 10 corners compared with our 10, 3 and 6 on Saturday which suggests they put Norwich under far more pressure than us. This leads me to believe that once again Norwich were far more able to raise their game for a local Derby than we could which needs to change if we’re ever going to win one of these fixtures again.

Hopefully tonight we’ll prepare and play our normal game which has served us so well this season. As others have said I hope to see Harry Clarke and Ali Al-Hamadi in the starting line up and possibly Travis too if we have any aspirations to keep a clean sheet.

A win tonight would put a toe in the door can automatic promotion place. I just hope and pray this doesn’t add too much pressure on the players selected to make it happen.

I know people won't like it but not only were the players not up for it and jaded but for me KM got it wrong with team selection and tactics, the pundits in the studio even remarked on it, it was quoted as being the easiest game the Norwich CB'S have had all season and played into their hands.

We chose to go with a clearly unfit Moore which was an error, no ifs or buts, his style was wrong for this game, Al-Hamadi running at Two cumbersome defenders would have caused them problems, its not often we can say it but on this occasion the maestro got it wrong.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:32 pm

I seem to recall saying exactly the same on Saturday Mike but it wasn’t just that. The point I’m trying to make is that Norwich are far better than us at raising their game for a Derby match against their arch rivals than we are, but showed non of this against Wednesday last night. The passion they showed on the pitch against us on Saturday almost frightened us into not showing up.

We could well be up against similar determination tonight as Tom Cleverley since taking over 4 weeks ago has got Watford playing with similar passion and are unrecognisable to the team he took over. In his 4 weeks in charge his team is undefeated beginning with an away win at Birmingham, a draw at home to Leeds in a game which his team dominated for 70 mins and only failed to win courtesy of a late Leeds equaliser. I watched the whole game after our win at Blackburn and Watford were scarily good. Since then they’ve drawn with West Brom, again only failing to win with The Baggies scoring a late goal in added time, and another draw with Preston this Saturday just gone. In the corresponding 4 fixtures that Watford have gone undefeated and picked up 6 points, our Town team W1 D1 & L2 and picked up only 4 points. The team we play tonight will bare no resemblance to the team we played at Watford in December and Ricco may be right that we might have to be happy with a draw. I just hope that’s not the case but we may have to be prepared for it.

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:34 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2024 1:51 pm
Charnwood wrote:

I know people won't like it but not only were the players not up for it and jaded but for me KM got it wrong with team selection and tactics, the pundits in the studio even remarked on it, it was quoted as being the easiest game the Norwich CB'S have had all season and played into their hands.

We chose to go with a clearly unfit Moore which was an error, no ifs or buts, his style was wrong for this game, Al-Hamadi running at Two cumbersome defenders would have caused them problems, its not often we can say it but on this occasion the maestro got it wrong.
I'm not sure its fair to single out Moore.
I thought middle to front Town were poor against Norwich.
Not enough happening in the wide areas which Moore thrives off and lack of creativity in midfield.
Hutchison is not Burns and needs to deliver crosses for Moore when played in. Against Norwich he overplayed and kept turning into trouble.
Chaplin and Luongo for me need to get back to what they did earlier in the season but players are physically and mentally tired after long hard season.
Hopefully see a better performance tonight.
I think he will start Moore tonight. Al-Hamadi is though much better prospect long term for me.
I think Clarke will start over Tuanzebe also

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:36 pm

Bluemike wrote:
KM got it wrong with team selection and tactics
It certainly appeared very safe. I think McKenna simply saw the importance of the match and put out what is in his mind the strongest line-up at the club (apart from the injured Burns). That's what it felt like, like he didn't take other things in to account, because he was aiming all those players at that match and they would be good enough to play their own game and cause Norwich problems.

Hindsight says it was wrong, but we'll never get to see how an alternative team may have gotten on. Is Al-Hamadi quite up to speed quality wise? It's a big role to step in to, and have we seen irrefutable evidence that he is up to the task? Perhaps not in McKenna's mind if he went for the less than 100% Moore, he sees them every day in training after all.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:40 pm

valleyroad wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:34 pm
Bluemike wrote:
Charnwood wrote:

I'm not sure its fair to single out Moore.
I thought middle to front Town were poor against Norwich.
Not enough happening in the wide areas which Moore thrives off and lack of creativity in midfield.
Hutchison is not Burns and needs to deliver crosses for Moore when played in. Against Norwich he overplayed and kept turning into trouble.
Chaplin and Luongo for me need to get back to what they did earlier in the season but players are physically and mentally tired after long hard season.
Hopefully see a better performance tonight.
I think he will start Moore tonight. Al-Hamadi is though much better prospect long term for me.
I think Clarke will start over Tuanzebe also
Got to think Hutchy is a class act and will get better......., but I do know what you mean, Valley. Think I made a comment in the MAIDSTONE thread (Remember that sh!t happened?)...., that he was infinitely too predictable. I thought the same v the budgies. Very "samey samey" , do something different. Get the ball over A LOT more.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:50 pm

It wasnt singling Moore out, more Mckenna.

Hutchinson is a boy learning his trade and will blow hot and cold, against Wednesday he was unplayable, the same Wednesday who seemed to cause Norwich so many problems and us none.

rossi

Post by rossi » Wed Apr 10, 2024 3:10 pm

Ricco wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2024 1:39 pm
rossi wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2024 1:26 pm
exactly - these players have nothing to do all week except to train and get themselves as fit as possible. I certainly do not buy in to the view that they are jaded after playing 2 games a week for a couple of weeks- they certainly should not be.
Question Rossi, how do you see the toll/intensity of the modern game vs what it was in the 70s/80s? Personally I think it's not even recognisable and can't even be compared from a physical or mental point of view. The only thing that brings the fitness requirements up of yesteryear in comparison were the weighty boots/ball and heavy pitches.
Personally I think overall its about the same. I know the intensity is higher now than it was 50 years ago, but then again training methods are better, dietry is better, treatment is better, and they play less games now than they used to - so for me things are more or less equal.

100 years ago, one thing than was far far harder on the body than football is today was being a miner, but the gruelling work Monday to Thursday and the aches and pains they got did nothing to dissuade them from working even harder on Fridays when they got a bonus for extra production.