Championship - Ipswich Town vs Middlesbrough Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Will we take our chances?

Ipswich Win
79%
Middlesbrough Win
14%
Draw
7%

Total votes: 14

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Re: Championship - Ipswich Town vs Middlesbrough Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Charnwood » Sat Apr 13, 2024 7:11 pm

Mike, don’t forget Southampton are also Leicester’s outstanding game in hand. A Southampton win there would be massive for us and it’s a more than realist prospect given current form.

Andym

Post by Andym » Sat Apr 13, 2024 7:52 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2024 6:57 pm
I thought Chaplin was absolute trash today if I'm honest. A bit harsh on Ali too, wasn't his best game for sure but certainly not a headless chicken or not good enough, sometimes it happens, I take it you've seen Moore last 4 or 5 games, that was poor.

At the end of the day we are top, if we win Two out of Three then Leeds have to win the lot, I get the feeling we'll meet a Coventry side with nothing to play for which will be good. It's going to the final game, also if Southampton beat or draw with Leeds we'll be big favourites to go up.
No, I don’t think Moore has played well. But in my opinion he has more footballing ability than Al Hamadi. Or at least he didn’t suit the lone striker role.

Mariner67

Post by Mariner67 » Sat Apr 13, 2024 8:02 pm

Hutchinson was great going forward, love him,for the people who say he has no end product, well he's scored & created more than most this season, hope we go up & purchase him,he will be wasted at chelski.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sat Apr 13, 2024 8:07 pm

Andym wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2024 7:52 pm
Bluemike wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2024 6:57 pm
I thought Chaplin was absolute trash today if I'm honest. A bit harsh on Ali too, wasn't his best game for sure but certainly not a headless chicken or not good enough, sometimes it happens, I take it you've seen Moore last 4 or 5 games, that was poor.

At the end of the day we are top, if we win Two out of Three then Leeds have to win the lot, I get the feeling we'll meet a Coventry side with nothing to play for which will be good. It's going to the final game, also if Southampton beat or draw with Leeds we'll be big favourites to go up.
No, I don’t think Moore has played well. But in my opinion he has more footballing ability than Al Hamadi. Or at least he didn’t suit the lone striker role.
If Moore was playing, he may have prevented Middlesbrough from scoring.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Apr 13, 2024 9:23 pm

Town are running on vapours atm, and in truth , have been for a few games now. We’ve lost that “wow” factor from the bench on 70 mins , primarily because those subs are playing from the start of games atm, such is our injuries, sickness in the camp. Do all things considered, we are doing well to still be getting some points. Leeds and Leicester with their multi £m squads, aren’t!

I said to Mike today, playing the next two games away from PR may actually work in our favour, as will potentially be less pressure and less stressful ( although according to McKennas post match report the players are not feeling any pressure, not sure I believe that if I’m honest)!

But so many twists and turns to come still. It’ll be down to who can still be standing in this absolutely amazing season. I firmly believe if Town can achieve one more win and match Leeds ( expect if they lose), we will go up. I think Leicester will drop more points out of the top 3, and Saints will have a massive influence on the final outcome.

I hope the club parapet the squad over the next t.so weeks, get them fully rested and recuperated from the sickness but that has taken its toll, and get Burns back wide, and I’d be putting Omari in a #10 role instead of Chaplin atm. The kid is dynamite and his work rate off the ball phenomenal for a kid.

My final words re today's game. Woolfienden, is an utter liability and dog sh*t.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sat Apr 13, 2024 10:16 pm

Team has dropped four points from two home games we really should be winning. If or when we miss out at end of season fans can look back on particularly the Watford and Middlesbrough lost opportunities as to where we failed. It's all very well and good nearest rivals f**king up and dropping points themselves but isn't it up to ourselves to capitalize on such opportunities. If we get a promotion looks well like being the hard way and sure as hell can't anticipate thought of play-offs once again, particularly given the team's past record.

Vaclav was probably player of the match by way of highlights, if not for him the opposition would probably have taken it and would have preferred Broadhead and Moore to feature from the start and if Al-Hamadi was to play forward by himself, might have been an idea to swap with someone else or at least partner someone in direct attack alongside him. McKenna has done great thus far and it's hard to find fault however the way he deploys the team from the get-go just isn't for everyone.

It's been fantastic season for sure and we're on the verge of some accomplishment but if not for nearest challengers messing up and feeling the heat also I'd feel less confident about our overall chances of making the auto positions by final kick of end game. Believe we got a rest next up as Coventry can't play their allocated League fixture so guess it allows extra time for the manager and players to review last two contests and ensure next time out we get the victory.

Middlesbrough may or may not have something left in the season to play for and seemed to go for it today. The Lath boy they got seems a useful additional to any squad, he and Szmodics could prove a fearsome partnership to any squad if they were ever paired together.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Apr 13, 2024 10:17 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2024 9:23 pm
Town are running on vapours atm, and in truth , have been for a few games now. We’ve lost that “wow” factor from the bench on 70 mins , primarily because those subs are playing from the start of games atm, such is our injuries, sickness in the camp. Do all things considered, we are doing well to still be getting some points. Leeds and Leicester with their multi £m squads, aren’t!

I said to Mike today, playing the next two games away from PR may actually work in our favour, as will potentially be less pressure and less stressful ( although according to McKennas post match report the players are not feeling any pressure, not sure I believe that if I’m honest)!

But so many twists and turns to come still. It’ll be down to who can still be standing in this absolutely amazing season. I firmly believe if Town can achieve one more win and match Leeds ( expect if they lose), we will go up. I think Leicester will drop more points out of the top 3, and Saints will have a massive influence on the final outcome.

I hope the club parapet the squad over the next t.so weeks, get them fully rested and recuperated from the sickness but that has taken its toll, and get Burns back wide, and I’d be putting Omari in a #10 role instead of Chaplin atm. The kid is dynamite and his work rate off the ball phenomenal for a kid.

My final words re today's game. Woolfienden, is an utter liability and dog sh*t.

Welcome back Liz. Agree with most of that. In truth if the Top 4 teams all carry on as they have since Mike started his “Run in” thread we’ll go up as Champions so it’s not all the doom and gloom as some suggest. My prediction is that only 3 points will separate the Top 3 teams and that Southampton will also join the group of clubs with 90 points which would be incredible. If that happens it would be justice to see 3rd v 4th in the Play Off Final which makes it even more important we fill one of those Top 2 Slots.

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Sat Apr 13, 2024 10:28 pm

Leta be honest - top with 3 games to go amd 2 weeks rest/strategising before the next game. We are running on empty so we need the break. Hladky was immense, Hutch was brilliant and once again the key to unlocking defences - he is a young loan player but playing for the shirt every game. End product not always 100% but give the kid a chance! I thought Boro were a shadow of Watford and we should have won but a good game overall and we take the positives. For me, Al Hamadi is not on his game for some reason - he seems dreadfully slow and unless he is running onto a chance will never out sprint a defender - hopefully Kieron can improve that in him. In 2 weeks time we will see an improved side I am sure and the fact that S'ton are still in with a shout (and Boro) is huge given that they play Leeds and Leicester in the run in. I still think it is there for us. It will run to the end but what a day the last game will be...! COYB's!!!!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:01 am

Having had the chance to sleep on it and digest the events of yesterday's game I have to say I'm pretty disappointed with this week, Two home games afforded us a great chance to really cement our place at the summit and while we are there at the moment it's more down to others and their shortcomings than anything we've done.

I personally don't think we've played that well for a couple of months now if I'm honest, maybe the Southampton game aside and yet here we are in pole position, it's bizarre. For me some of our so called big players have gone into hiding, when was the last time you came home thinking either Chaplin or Broadhead have played well? It's been ages, Leif Davis has moments for sure but his quality of delivery most of the time in these Two games Haa been iffy at best. Keiffer Moore has disappointed me in a lot of games, often lazy, terrible first touch at times and no goals lately. We created a lot of chances first half yesterday with Al-Hamadi and Sarmiento on the field bur second half with Moore on we created little except for what Hutchinson produced by himself .

Defensively we are suspect every time a team attacks, Woolfenden is a bloody liability game after game and just always looks so shaky and indecisive, for me Edmundson is far better most of the time, shame he was injured. Cam Burgess does a fair bit of decent defending but man his passing out is often woeful and passes up possession way too often. Tuanzebe blows hot and cold too, was actually decent yesterday at times.

I've just got this horrible feeling we've just consigned ourselves to the play offs which we One Hundred percent won't win, not a chance in hell, the next Two away games are as tough as they could be and our levels at present are not good enough, just my opinion.

This may sound over critical given our position but its going to look a whole lot different by the time we play again and I suspect the pressure will be ramped up on us by us having to win at Hull to even have a chance of clawing our way back into the top Two, yes our big hope is Southampton but do we really expect them to win virtually every game, I don't.

At the end of the day what we are achieving is phenomenal and beyond our wildest dreams for which I am so pleased and grateful but it really could, and should be almost done and dusted now but sadly it isn't. Hopefully they go out and prove my completely wrong and make me look stupid but for now I'm concerned our big chance has possibly passed us by.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:39 am

Yeah no matter what kind of spin we put on it, the Watford/Middlesbrough games were opportunities missed. The only positive is we're still in it. Agree we haven't been at our best for some time. I think it's a combination of fatigue and teams figure out how to play us. If we do end up in the play offs, obviously our form will need to return to early season standards. All we can do, is go one game at a time.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:53 am

Bluemike wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:01 am
Having had the chance to sleep on it and digest the events of yesterday's game I have to say I'm pretty disappointed with this week, Two home games afforded us a great chance to really cement our place at the summit and while we are there at the moment it's more down to others and their shortcomings than anything we've done.

I personally don't think we've played that well for a couple of months now if I'm honest, maybe the Southampton game aside and yet here we are in pole position, it's bizarre. For me some of our so called big players have gone into hiding, when was the last time you came home thinking either Chaplin or Broadhead have played well? It's been ages, Leif Davis has moments for sure but his quality of delivery most of the time in these Two games Haa been iffy at best. Keiffer Moore has disappointed me in a lot of games, often lazy, terrible first touch at times and no goals lately. We created a lot of chances first half yesterday with Al-Hamadi and Sarmiento on the field bur second half with Moore on we created little except for what Hutchinson produced by himself .

Defensively we are suspect every time a team attacks, Woolfenden is a bloody liability game after game and just always looks so shaky and indecisive, for me Edmundson is far better most of the time, shame he was injured. Cam Burgess does a fair bit of decent defending but man his passing out is often woeful and passes up possession way too often. Tuanzebe blows hot and cold too, was actually decent yesterday at times.

I've just got this horrible feeling we've just consigned ourselves to the play offs which we One Hundred percent won't win, not a chance in hell, the next Two away games are as tough as they could be and our levels at present are not good enough, just my opinion.

This may sound over critical given our position but its going to look a whole lot different by the time we play again and I suspect the pressure will be ramped up on us by us having to win at Hull to even have a chance of clawing our way back into the top Two, yes our big hope is Southampton but do we really expect them to win virtually every game, I don't.

At the end of the day what we are achieving is phenomenal and beyond our wildest dreams for which I am so pleased and grateful but it really could, and should be almost done and dusted now but sadly it isn't. Hopefully they go out and prove my completely wrong and make me look stupid but for now I'm concerned our big chance has possibly passed us by.
For me this post sums it up perfectly. Driving back to Clacton after the game yesterday my daughter asked me “Dad why are you not celebrating that we are top of the league”? I replied, “ because I believe we have blown a great opportunity to get automatic promotion”.
I will be at both the Hull and Coventry games but if I’m honest I can’t see us getting more than 2 points but would not be surprised if we lose both. I know people are saying it is great that we now have a 2 week break, and yes it is good that the players have a chance to get some energy back and any niggles sorted but I am concerned that in the past we haven’t always been at our best after these breaks.
Like you if it comes down to us being in the playoffs I really don’t rate our chances.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Apr 14, 2024 12:22 pm

I’ d say the team (imo) played very well indeed against Watford for most of the 90 + 3days. Everything needed to do was basically done in that game. If not for a near perfect Watford defensive display and balls bouncing off the craziest areas of the inside post, then 🤷‍♂️.
For me they played well and was an entertaining 0-0 draw. The main frustration coming from arguably the best player in the team; Hutchinson. Still learning yes, 100% get that, but part of that learning has to be understanding that he’s not George Best. Be better at seeing who’s available and play the earlier ball.
Not seen enough of the Boro game, but i’d say (keeping in mind that Hanky kept Boro to one goal) shouldve been 3-1 ITFC based on a couple of glaring tap ins that couldve come to fruition…… but , Hutchy didn’t see it.
I really cannot think of anything that Kieron McKenna can improve on to finish off this season other than “having a quiet word” and tweaking THOSE things.

I spent ten minutes last night looking for what i call the utter bullshit thread. Its proper eye opening what a few people here were saying a year ago. All of it did not come to fruition and the main reason i have difficulty reading certain peoples posts when it comes to possible adversity.
All of us will have an idea of what is supportive or damaging, but ALL clubs have sections of “supporters” that are not supporter's in the meaning of “support”. They feckin damage. Highly irritating at Easter Road, and must be similar at Portman Road.

Shocking myself here typing this up with the mighty Ipswich Town sitting top of the pile.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:31 pm

Marko, I'm not really worried what people think of me tbh, I stand by my views, if people like to think Mckenna is perfect and does no wrong then good luck to them, they are foolish.

I know you like to harp back to the Bristol Rovers debacle etc but I was sure as hell not calling for his head, what I did do was air my views on his pathetic insistence on rotating the team which was greatly affecting our results, lo and behold after that game he stopped it and the rest is history, he was wrong, myself and others were right to criticise him.

I'm not actually criticising Mckenna at all regarding yesterday, not down to him other than his poor choice of substitutions, I was referring to the failure by the players to win Two home games that would have had us up by now, you say they did everything but win but yesterday our defence once again pissed away a goal, it happens time and time again and has all season.

Yes we are having an incredible season, yes I'm very proud and happy with things but we really have missed a trick this week, that cannot be denied, this has been a great season which in the blink of an eye could be a disastrous season culminating in defeat to the scum in the play offs, all the good things over the last Nine months will be rendered irrelevant.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:44 pm

No no, not at all, I know that what i type about McKenna can come across like i believe the guy is a unicorn and rainbows shine out his arse, but not so. I even said in this very thread that i hope he doesn’t do anything crazy like replace anyone really with Taylor, (which i think he did) …… my main gripe is that this team has proved TO McKenna & the fans that its capable, VERY capable but for whatever reason, (like the foxes and Leeds) are stumbling slightly. Its on the players in my opinion…… (But even that’s harsh as vs Watford, they did well) . But there are people out there, (on other platform's Mainly) seeing it as a McKenna issue at THIS stage of the season. Just don’t get that at all.

That last part you say about things being irrelevant if ITFC fail to go up……. That’ll certainly be the initial feeling. And from an obvious point of view, yes, it could be deemed all irrelevant. But you are a huge Mashton fan…… if anyone was to say to him after a play off semi final or final loss that the season has been irrelevant……. He has to laugh and disagree.
But the initial anger and frustration will definitely make it all feel irrelevant.

But like Ipswich have done last season and in stages this season…….. it’ll be a pumping of Hull & Coventry and it’ll all happen.

Incidentally…… looking at the last 3 match stats pre-Burns injury , and his performance in those games……. Hypothetical i know, but he couldve been the difference maker v Watford & Boro. But 🤷‍♂️

By the way……. I was actually wrong about the Bristol Rovers thread……. It was the Cambridge United thread. Its actually very entertaining! :lol: 👍👌

patthegimp

Post by patthegimp » Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:44 pm

3 games to go 3 wins and we're up.Hirst and Burns back we hope. 2 wins for us, 2 wins and a draw for Leeds and we're up.

Have faith. COYB

rossi

Post by rossi » Sun Apr 14, 2024 6:24 pm

marko69 wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:44 pm
No no, not at all, I know that what i type about McKenna can come across like i believe the guy is a unicorn and rainbows shine out his arse, but not so. I even said in this very thread that i hope he doesn’t do anything crazy like replace anyone really with Taylor, (which i think he did) …… my main gripe is that this team has proved TO McKenna & the fans that its capable, VERY capable but for whatever reason, (like the foxes and Leeds) are stumbling slightly. Its on the players in my opinion…… (But even that’s harsh as vs Watford, they did well) . But there are people out there, (on other platform's Mainly) seeing it as a McKenna issue at THIS stage of the season. Just don’t get that at all .

That last part you say about things being irrelevant if ITFC fail to go up……. That’ll certainly be the initial feeling. And from an obvious point of view, yes, it could be deemed all irrelevant. But you are a huge Mashton fan…… if anyone was to say to him after a play off semi final or final loss that the season has been irrelevant……. He has to laugh and disagree.
But the initial anger and frustration will definitely make it all feel irrelevant.

But like Ipswich have done last season and in stages this season…….. it’ll be a pumping of Hull & Coventry and it’ll all happen.

Incidentally…… looking at the last 3 match stats pre-Burns injury , and his performance in those games……. Hypothetical i know, but he couldve been the difference maker v Watford & Boro. But 🤷‍♂️

By the way……. I was actually wrong about the Bristol Rovers thread……. It was the Cambridge United thread. Its actually very entertaining! :lol: 👍👌
Fair enough, you don't get it. Doesn't mean you're right, though.

As for you not thinking KM is a unicorn - ha, I'm waiting for the engagement announcement :lol: :lol: :lol:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Apr 14, 2024 6:51 pm

Well, i certainly don’t get it in the way YOU get it. Thats 100% for sure from link provided below . :lol: :lol: :lol: 🤦‍♂️

https://tractor-boys.com/forum/viewtopi ... 5&start=60

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Sun Apr 14, 2024 8:00 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:01 am

I agree with a lot of this but i bet Leeds and Leicester fans are saying exactly the same about their teams. All 3 have tough run ins. Town have an unbelievable chance to go up. I think 6 from 9 will do it. Not easy but the same for Leeds, Leicester and Soton

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:04 pm

I agree Valley - everyone is feeling the heat. Look at Liverpool and Arsenal today! Strange things happen every week and whilst Mike is right that we have been below par, so have the rest! We have 2 weeks to recover and plan a strategy for each game - my faith is in Kieran and the management team to get peoples heads in the right place and deliver... COYB's!!

Mariner67

Post by Mariner67 » Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:44 pm

patthegimp wrote:
3 games to go 3 wins and we're up.Hirst and Burns back we hope. 2 wins for us, 2 wins and a draw for Leeds and we're up.

Have faith. COYB
Last edited by Mariner67 on Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mariner67

Post by Mariner67 » Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:45 pm

Mariner67 wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:44 pm
patthegimp wrote:

Have faith. COYB
Hirst has been out for months & we've missed him,went off during the Leicester game,I hope hes up for the final push.Noticed our form has dropped since Burns has been out.Clarke links up well with Burns,I think Hutchinson is better coming on as super sub.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Apr 14, 2024 11:05 pm

Mariner67 wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:45 pm
Mariner67 wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:44 pm
patthegimp wrote:

Have faith. COYB
Hirst has been out for months & we've missed him,went off during the Leicester game,I hope hes up for the final push.Noticed our form has dropped since Burns has been out.Clarke links up well with Burns,I think Hutchinson is better coming on as super sub.
I can only assume you didn’t watch yesterday’s game then ?

Mariner67

Post by Mariner67 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:41 am

Yes you are assuming, yep watched the game,hes a good impact player,when we had Hutchinson coming on as a sub,he made the all the difference & won games for us.

rossi

Post by rossi » Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:15 pm

marko69 wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2024 6:51 pm
Well, i certainly don’t get it in the way YOU get it. Thats 100% for sure from link provided below . :lol: :lol: :lol: 🤦‍♂️

https://tractor-boys.com/forum/viewtopi ... 5&start=60

I spent ten minutes last night looking for what i call the utter bullshit thread. Its proper eye opening what a few people here were saying a year ago. All of it did not come to fruition and the main reason i have difficulty reading certain peoples posts when it comes to possible adversity.
All of us will have an idea of what is supportive or damaging, but ALL clubs have sections of “supporters” that are not supporter's in the meaning of “support”. They feckin damage. Highly irritating at Easter Road, and must be similar at Portman Road
Ah, so you found it then - congratulations :) . Yes, I remember not being enamoured with KM back then, and I was not afraid to say it. I was also not afraid, a few weeks later, to admit I was wrong - but I note that you failed to resurrect that particular thread :roll: :roll: .
As for forum discussion being damaging as you put it, well I don't think that had any damaging effect at all given where we finished last season. It's also not for you to determine the definition of a 'supporter' - as far as I'm concerned I actually go and watch the team play so that makes me a supporter.
As for 'utter bullshit' as you so eruditely put it, I'd far rather make comments on threads and be completely wrong than hijacking and diverting threads with meaningless wind and pish as you've done ever since you've been a member of this forum :wink:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:50 pm

Have some perspective , Rossi. Damaging on the terraces I mean. Not an individual on a forum. I know your feelings on the Scottish game so please do not respond with anything derogatory, but (in my experience) the hounding out of a fairly decent manager can have a knock on effect for years. I was basically meaning the effects the support can have, (a blind support at times) on proceedings. Works also in the opposite......, If I was a ST holder at PR, I'd have been asking why the likes of Paul Lambert (especially him) were still in a job. So its the damage caused by the wider audience....., not individuals.

Re hijacking threads. I cannot speak for Frosty the owner......, but i do think I was made a moderator of this forum (as was Mike & Andy) due to being able to generate conversation and keep conversation going. Nothing to do with "sorting stuff out" because there is nothing to sort out on here other than petty handbag wind & pish. So yep, I do treat this forum like a pub if you want whereby conversation can FLOW and sometimes veer off. I hold my hands up and say, Yep, I can hijack a thread, but I do tend to bring it all back on course.

I am NOT singling you out. I can promise you that. The only thing that happened was you said very strong opinionate words that sat with me. I even questioned myself in that final 8 weeks of League One due to your comments about the current Unicorn in charge. It stuck with me. Then when promotion happened , did I go stir like an arsehole? No. If ANYONE else had said on Wednesday night that the boss had let the fans down, probably wouldn't have even registered. But YOU said it. And I thought, "JaysusH, did Rossi forget last season and how this guy can turn things quickly?"
So maybe putting it another way......, its a backhanded compliment TO YOU that I remembered your words.

Anyway, I hope the season ends favourably and you ALL are celebrating a return to the BIG TIME......, via the Autos.

rossi

Post by rossi » Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:35 pm

I think it best to put this conversation to bed, and concentrate on the business of securing auto promotion. I'm sure that's what everybody wants.