The 'curse' of the post

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

AzzurroMark

The 'curse' of the post

Post by AzzurroMark » Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:57 am

Having seen us hit the upright in our last 2 home games, it got me thinking back to that cursed upright of many years ago! I believe it was always the goalkeeper's left post at the (then) North Stand end? I recall it seemed quite instrumental in some pretty important matches! The only one I recall now was the last home game of the season where we needed a win to either gain promotion or a playoff spot. We were playing Millwall, who themselves needed a win (?) to stave off relegation. The game ended as 0-0, no good for either team!

My memory is a bit foggy, but I recall about 2 other occasions, possibly over successive seasons where that post denied us. Anyone else have any recollections?

Of course this season, I'm sure that Broadhead hit the upright at the SAR end (assuming we were shooting that way in the first half against Watford), but I guess Sarmiento did hit the SBR one. Why is it always the left upright (as the goalie sees it) too?

arana peligrosa

Re: The 'curse' of the post

Post by arana peligrosa » Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:04 pm

There was an alleged curse of the goal frame years back but obvious non-proven claim and superstition. We missed out on victories in crucial games, fans wanted a scapegoat or explanation and picked out a goalframe to find fault with. It was the North Stand if only to clarify any misunderstanding.

We launched a campaign if correct to replace it and once a new one was in place, lo and behold team fortunes took a rise by way of promotion to the EPL, Fifth position finish, European games et cetera. We're not unique for it, there's dozens of instances elsewhere where club names believe curse was in place on them and a whole array of practices and eventual solutions were discovered.

The Millwall game mentioned, believe or was in fact 1996 where we needed victory for a top six finish - not automatic promotion - on the final game and they needed to win to avoid fall into the Third League. There was no winner and South London fans left Portman Road in something of a state of disarray. Chairs torn out, thrown, things smashed up, some level of field invasion and guess outside the stadium itself some expense was required to clear up after the away visit. Any consolation (from it) we got play-off finishes the next four consecutive seasons.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:57 am

I remember years ago at the North Stand end , Webb ( Chelsea), shooting and the ball travelling on the OUTSIDE of the left post from his view, hitting the net stanchion at the back of the goal, coming back onto the pitch , and the ref giving a bloody goal!

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:27 am

Curse of the crossbar for Lampard at a World Cup. Ball was so far over the line, was a complete joke.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:31 am

marko69 wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:27 am
Curse of the crossbar for Lampard at a World Cup. Ball was so far over the line, was a complete joke.
That's one situation where VAR would have helped, yeah?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:46 am

number 9 wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:31 am
marko69 wrote:
I guess One good decision for every Fifty bad ones is worth it.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Apr 20, 2024 11:50 am

Sorry for being up to hijack shenanigans again……. But on VAR…… watched the St Kilda v Footscray AFL game last night. One goal line decision went to “the assistant ref” …… it was officially a 35 SECONDS check. The commentators were going borderline nuts.
Oz accent…. “Awwwwwww come on! What the hell they doing. For goodness saaaaaake! GET ON WITH IT!”

Last time at Easter Road, there was a 3 MINUTE check on a penalty claim.

Bringing back to “the curse of the post” theme…… for those who care, ( but going to guess couldnt give a F ) ……. Goals in AFL are worth 6pts, but they must be clear…….. if it hits the post, only 1 point!
You learn something new every day! 👍👌 :D

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:28 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:57 am
I remember years ago at the North Stand end , Webb ( Chelsea), shooting and the ball travelling on the OUTSIDE of the left post from his view, hitting the net stanchion at the back of the goal, coming back onto the pitch , and the ref giving a bloody goal!
Seriously? I can't actually recall this but that is truly shocking. No doubt it's not entirely unique in football but not nice to be on the end of!
Does anyone else remember the other games around the time of the Millwall game that the North Stand left post denied us. I have a feeling a play off game was one of them.

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:24 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:57 am
It was actually at Stamford Bridge and it was Alan Hudson who had the shot. :lol:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:41 pm

This sort of thing makes me think of something my cousin asked me recently about a completely insignificant game vs Morton in the 80s……. “Remember that goal by Neil Orr v Morton?”

“EH??? :shock: No!”

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:47 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:46 am
number 9 wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:31 am
marko69 wrote:
I guess One good decision for every Fifty bad ones is worth it.
Word!

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:58 pm

Up?

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sat Apr 20, 2024 11:12 pm

I don’t know it’s something my daughters say lol!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:58 am

Meaning what 9 ?

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:42 am

Bluemike wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:58 am
Meaning what 9 ?
What Does “Word.” Mean in Slang?
“Word.” in slang is mainly used as a way to agree with what someone just said. Whether it’s in text, in texting, or in person, if someone says something that you really agree with, then you can simply reply with “word”. and it’ll be taken as agreement from you.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:26 am

Yep, very much an American thing. On various NFL platforms when discussing the Lions NFC Championship game, there were a lot of responses that just said, "Word"....., looked it up back then and its an agreement with text written.

But it makes me think of "Word Up" for some reason....... the Gun version

https://youtu.be/ddIHwHtbPSQ?si=V4u-2n0h-oLwEC0l

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:32 am

This is now so far off topic, better bring it back before the "Hijack police" show......,

....., there was a place in Edinburgh called The Venue that was used by big acts using different names for warm up Playhouse gigs. Twisted Sister went back to their original name (Silver Star) for one night in 85 at the Venue the night before their bigger gig........., but anyway....., right in the middle of the Venue, (As its a basement boozer) there was a huge ornamental "post"......., that caused some damage while moshing to certain bands. The curse of that post. I miss that place.