Championship - Coventry City vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Everything to play for ............

Coventry Win
No votes
Ipswich Win
72%
Draw
28%

Total votes: 18

Frosty
Forum Owner

Championship - Coventry City vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Frosty » Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:00 pm

Image Coventry City v Ipswich TownImage

Tuesday 30th April 2024 – 20:00

Coventry Building Society Arena

Pre-Match Thoughts - Mike

I suppose it was inevitable and written in the stars that this most enthralling and entertaining of Championship seasons would go down to the very last game and so it has proved, I guess we also knew that Town would never do things the easy way and as such our creditable draw at Hull City on Saturday evening was very much a point gained, even if we did contrive to surrender the lead Three times. As a spectacle it was fantastic stuff and lots of neutrals have commented on what a great game it was to watch, I can't say I enjoyed it as far as stress levels go but the entertainment on offer was second to none and the Championship proved once again that it is the league that keeps on giving.

How you view the outcome depends very much on if you are a glass half empty or full kind of person and sometimes comments made in the heat of battle can come across a little bit childish and knee jerk, I think at times we are all guilty of it at some time or another but once the dust has settled and you are able to process the bigger picture there won't be many Town fans who possess an IQ that will feel disappointed with it, we were, after all, up against a very good side with everything to play for in their last home game of the regular season, that in itself heaps pressure on us as a visiting side.

Clearly when you have had the lead no less than Three times a draw can feel a little bit disappointing but it is all psychological because had we come back from losing positions Three times we would all be buzzing at the same outcome and eagerly looking forward to Tuesday evening. Having had Seventeen days to twiddle our thumbs and watch others performing I felt Town looked pretty sharp and fit for the task ahead, much of what we did was good, our tempo was fast, our passing decent and crisp, going forward we caused them problems, not only did we score Three very good goals but how Kieffer Moore and Sarmiento failed to add to that tally is beyond me, somehow the ball just would not go in during those final moments but credit to the boys for not sitting back and look to take the point.

You can't ignore the fact that defensively we could have been tighter, all Three of their goals were avoidable and certain individuals will be feeling they could have done better, some feel Hladky has to take some of the responsibility for the first but that is something I disagree with, he did what he has done all season, and very effectively at that, his skipper was calling for it and as is usually the case he gets it, only this time he got it wrong and was caught out, it happens. The second was down to Burgess as the first defender not being alert to the danger or the ball coming into the box and he was the right side of the striker but for some reason didn't get back to make the block, again on closer inspection Mass Luongo could also have done better in the build up too.

Sadly the Third goal was down to keeper error on this occasion, I didn't concur with the commentators who felt he should have caught it, that seldom happens at full stretch like that, however you don't palm it away into the centre of a crowded box, that was where he got it completely wrong and as is usually the case we got punished, again though look deeper and why was Harry Clarke gifting them a free kick with a silly and unnecessary free kick which led to the ball ending up in our box. We can pick holes all we like but collectively it was a fantastic effort in a pressure situation and we came away with the minimum requirement from the game.

I have to say a special mention should go to Omari Hutchinson who I thought was superb on the night, his all round game was top notch but the two strikes were something special and nobody in the world would have saved those beauties, they were deserving of Three points in truth but they could end up being equally important come next Saturday at 5pm.

What it all means is that it is still very much in our own hands, a win and a draw from Coventry away on Tuesday and Huddersfield Town at Portman Road on the final day will see Town return to the Premier League for the first time in over Twenty Two years, it takes some comprehension if I am perfectly honest, especially when not so long ago we were all trudging down to Portman Road to watch Cheltenham Town or Fleetwood Town, just how far we have come in such a short space of time is often lost on certain people, the position we are in would have been grasped with both hands by Ninety Nine percent of Town followers before the season began, it's only the Chucky lookalikes with a pea for a brain that cannot see it.

Coventry City are a more than capable outfit, just ask Manchester Utd and as such this is not a gimme either, however they have had some bitter blows to deal with in recent days, the Cup Semi-Final needs no comment really while losing at home to Hull City to end their play off interest will also have hurt big time, not to mention the physical side of their hectic spell, add that to the mental fatigue and it does give us a bit of an advantage, they will however want to give their fans a parting gift by way of a win to go into the Summer break with and as such they can still be dangerous. The Sky Blues have players who are very capable indeed, Ellis Simms & Hadji Wright to name but Two but there are others.

The good thing about it is that we do not have to win this, we just need to avoid defeat although for me going into the game with that mindset is fraught with dangers, we need to go out looking for the win, to take it to them from the off and attack with intent, I think it is almost nailed on that we have to score at least One to get what we need as defensively you have to accept we will conceded at some point, we have the players to cause them problems too and lets be honest we are due a win, a Four game winless run is not what we all expected but it hasn't hurt us and for that we should be thankful.

So brace yourselves, Tuesday will be another tense and stressful evening but it is One that we are up to negotiating, we all know what is required and the players all know what is at stake, they can all get us to the cusp of the elite league in English Football (so they tell me) and many of our players will never get a better chance. I definitely think Town are more than capable of getting the draw they need but wouldn't it be great to relieve some pressure on us for that final day against Huddersfield by going out and grabbing a win, that really would be the thing of dreams, One of these times we may just grab One of these Golden opportunities that keep coming our way, Tuesday may just be that day. COYB'S

The Opposition – Coventry City FC Honours

League

Second Division / Championship
Champions: 1966–67

Third Division / League One
Champions: 1963–64, 2019–20

Third Division South
Champions: 1935–36
Runners-up: 1933–34

Fourth Division / League Two
Runners-up: 1958–59
Play-off winners: 2018

Cup

FA Cup
Winners: 1986–87

FA Charity Shield
Runners-up: 1987

EFL Trophy
Winners: 2016–17

Third Division South Cup
Winners: 1935–36

The Manager – Mark Robins

League Table as at 28.04.2024

Form Guide

Coventry City FC

6 Apr Coventry City 2 - 1 Leeds Utd

9 Apr Southampton 2 - 1 Coventry City

13 Apr Birmingham City 3 - 0 Coventry City

24 Apr Coventry City 2 - 3 Hull City

27 Apr Blackburn 0 - 0 Coventry City

Ipswich Town

1 Apr Ipswich Town 3 - 2 Southampton

6 Apr Norwich City 1 - 0 Ipswich Town

10 Apr Ipswich Town 0 - 0 Watford

13 Apr Ipswich Town 1 - 1 Middlesbrough

27 Apr Hull City 3 - 3 Ipswich Town

Head to Head

Match Referee – James Bell

COVENTRY CITY 1 IPSWICH TOWN 2

number 9

Re: Championship - Coventry City vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by number 9 » Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:45 pm

I have a background in journalism, and I have to say Mike your writing is very good! Nice preview! I’m off Tuesday, but I’m debating whether or not to watch the match. There’s a lot of emotions involved that I’m having trouble explaining. On the one hand I don’t think I can sit through a loss, but on the other hand I don’t wanna miss it if we win. Any suggestions?

QldBlue

Post by QldBlue » Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:36 am

number 9 wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:45 pm
I have a background in journalism, and I have to say Mike your writing is very good! Nice preview! I’m off Tuesday, but I’m debating whether or not to watch the match. There’s a lot of emotions involved that I’m having trouble explaining. On the one hand I don’t think I can sit through a loss, but on the other hand I don’t wanna miss it if we win. Any suggestions?
I know what you mean but seasons like this are so rare. At the end of the day, you really wouldn’t want to miss a thing. Watching the Exeter game live last year was incredible. I’ll be up at 5 am Wednesday morning, intravenous coffee drip, ready for some serious stress!

Denny61

Post by Denny61 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:01 am

Has there ever been a match in recent times that ipswich must not lose..that is so important ,that It could define the future of the club

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:46 am

Great preview. Lets get the job done and move onto Saturday. 0-2 Town - COYB's!!

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:09 am

Its only football , 9……. Just get watching it! 🤷‍♂️

Nice preview and I think Mike has been watching the snooker?? 🤔 ——>> “Fraught with dangers” :lol: ——>> its John Virgo!!
“WHERE’S THE FOOTBALL GOING?!”

Hoping its the win (and predicted that on the PL) but thinking draw. Then SMASH udders 7 or 8 nil last day of Champ…… a treat for you guys attending.

Caption:
John Virgo voice:

“And here we are at the “Trying to get your opponent to look over there” Championships.
World Champion, Mark Robins looking straight ahead. Concentration all over his face. He ain’t budging. Opponent James Bell pulling out all the stops to make it happen, but Robins is just too good. This’ll be his 8th title if he succeeds. Bell continues to entice him to look over there….. but THATS IT, ITS ALL OVER. Robins holds his nerve, “over there” was fraught with danger but he stuck to the task. Well done Mark Robins.”

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:48 pm

Well the Coventry forum reckons they are struggling for players and 3 or 4 kids could be in.

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:53 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:48 pm
Well the Coventry forum reckons they are struggling for players and 3 or 4 kids could be in.
All the ducks are lining up. What could go wrong :D

number 9

Post by number 9 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:15 pm

It'll be interesting to see what the lineup will be for us. I'm not sure Burns and Hirst will start again since they've just came back from injury. Burns not starting is more of a worry for me. Also, it's possible Davis won't be fit for the match...also a worry.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:00 pm

I wouldn't be starting Hirst, his goal aside I sensed a fair bit of rustiness. Burns hopefully ok though and I'm hearing Davis trained today.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:00 pm

valleyroad wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:53 pm
Bluemike wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:48 pm
All the ducks are lining up. What could go wrong :D
My thoughts exactly

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:51 pm

I’ve gone for a win. But thought I’d post someone else take on it ….. just to crystallise how finely balanced this game really is.

They played Man Utd, drew over 120+ minutes. We all know about how very close they came to winning, but I accept they did not. Their 3-3 draw was against a top 6 Premier League team. Ours was not even against a top 6 Championship team.

Coventry fans checking out our form will probably also be licking their lips. On paper it's fallen off a cliff - from 9 wins out of 10, to 0 wins in 4.

Tomorrow night, Cov are at home, and we are away.
On the last 4 home matches form table, Cov are 12th.
On the last 4 away matches form table, we're 13th.

The stats don't come closes to telling the whole story in either case, but it's fair to say that our form is not stellar.

My final thoughts are , “ beware the wounded animal”, that’s all.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:05 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:51 pm

They played Man Utd, drew over 120+ minutes. We all know about how very close they came to winning, but I accept they did not. Their 3-3 draw was against a top 6 Premier League team. Ours was not even against a top 6 Championship team.
To be fair, ManU have shipped a lot of goals this season to weak opponents. Coventry have lost four of their last six, while we have lost one of our last 6. Plus we're hearing Coventry won't be at full strength. Once again, it's another opportunity to exploit...the last opportunity.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:05 pm

hallamblue wrote:
I’ve gone for a win. But thought I’d post someone else take on it ….. just to crystallise how finely balanced this game really is.

Coventry fans checking out our form will probably also be licking their lips. On paper it's fallen off a cliff - from 9 wins out of 10, to 0 wins in 4.

The stats don't come closes to telling the whole story in either case, but it's fair to say that our form is not stellar.

Looks like we're doomed then.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:08 pm

Not quite sure what that “someone else” you quoted is on about to be honest, Hallam.
Are they comparing Coventrys 3-3 draw with Manure with Ipswich Towns 3-3 draw with Hull?

🤔 Why? Makes no sense whatsoever.

They were all guns blazing (proper) for a place in the FA Cup Final. Their prep and game plan for the Man Utd game will be massively different to approaching ITFC.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:33 pm

Reports are suggesting Davis will not be available tomorrow. I’m guessing Clarke will take his place.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:34 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:05 pm
hallamblue wrote:

I doubt it, but it won’t the easy game some might feel it will be. There’s been a lot of talk about how down in the dumps Coventry are and how it’s all unravelled etc. They could surprise us …… but I hope they stay down if that makes sense!

Those comments I posted above, were someone else’s take on it btw, not mine.

Only last week after drawing at home you were posting or alluding on here that we might have “blown it”…. The pressure is getting to us all Mike. Which is why I’ve wanted Town to get that win away from home to release the pressure from our final game.
Last edited by hallamblue on Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:42 pm

marko69 wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:08 pm
Not quite sure what that “someone else” you quoted is on about to be honest, Hallam.
Are they comparing Coventrys 3-3 draw with Manure with Ipswich Towns 3-3 draw with Hull?

🤔 Why? Makes no sense whatsoever.

They were all guns blazing (proper) for a place in the FA Cup Final. Their prep and game plan for the Man Utd game will be massively different to approaching ITFC.
I think he was getting at the point as he saw it, that they played very well against a top 6 PL team getting a 3-3 draw, whereas Town got a 3-3 draw against a team not in the top 6 of the championship …. Alluding to who maybe has performed better…. Us or Coventry, and that both teams are not in a rich vein of form atm.

Tbh it could well end up a draw. I have no idea what will happen. I’ve voted above for a Town win before anyone has a go at me. But there is tension all through the fan base that’s clear.

To avoid a horrendously tense last game where the crowd will relay their tension to the players, we really must get 3pts tomorrow night ( in what will be a 4th game we will be trying to get that allusive win) .

shabba

Post by shabba » Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:49 pm

Re the lineup comments, I would imagine:

Hladky

Axel
Wolfie
Burges
Clarke

(Defense picks itself there unless Davis is somehow fit).

Morsy
Masimo

(I'd imagine these two will be the usual choice for the engine room - Taylor can come on for Mas if needed/add some atacking threat, and Travis there to add steel if needed).

Burns
Chaplin
Hutchinson

Now this is a trickier one, can Burns go again? Cov have played 4 times in 10 days or so I think - so could be tired,ideally you'd want to run at them, tire them and bring on tricky/pace - i.e Sarmineto. I'd not actually be shocked if Jackson started this, depends if Broadhead is fit - but again Broadhead might suit Huddesfield more.

Hirst

Again very hard one to call, can Hirst go again so soon. He showed his abilities on Sat, and his mobility might suit this game - where as Moore might be suited to what I'd imagine would be a fairly Defensive Huddersfield side.

Very hard to predict! Subs could be massive again.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:01 pm

I think Broadhead will start. Not sure about Burns, but I want him to start.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:08 am

hallamblue wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:34 pm
Bluemike wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:05 pm
hallamblue wrote:

I doubt it, but it won’t the easy game some might feel it will be. There’s been a lot of talk about how down in the dumps Coventry are and how it’s all unravelled etc. They could surprise us …… but I hope they stay down if that makes sense!

Those comments I posted above, were someone else’s take on it btw, not mine.

Only last week after drawing at home you were posting or alluding on here that we might have “blown it”…. The pressure is getting to us all Mike. Which is why I’ve wanted Town to get that win away from home to release the pressure from our final game.
If Leeds hadn't of mucked up at QPR we definitely had blown it

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:51 am

Fingers, and anything else we can cross for tonight Mikey ...lets all home the players can get this over the line tonight. My ole ticker cant take the strain lol ... Its so close isn't it ..

COYBs

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:49 am

I'm assuming that Hirst & Burns both came off after around 60 mins in order not to over exert them so I would expect them both to be ready to go again today and hopefully again on Sat. With 2 games left why start with anything other than your full strength 11?

Davis seems unlikely so it will be interesting to see if Humphries gets a game. He hasn't let us down yet and Clarke must be generally preferred on the right.

Is Broadhead ready? I do hope so.

All just my opinions and perhaps KM will anyway pick his 11 to suit the opposition which he will have analysed infinitely more than we have :-)

I'll be up in Dubai watching the game - nervous for sure but 22 years is a long time and I would not miss it for anything.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:13 am

hallamblue wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:51 am
Fingers, and anything else we can cross for tonight Mikey ...lets all home the players can get this over the line tonight. My ole ticker cant take the strain lol ... Its so close isn't it ..

COYBs
It's actually starting to take the fun out of it for me, stressful doesn't come close, we've had loads of chances to get this over the line, let's take this one !!

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:30 am

Stress and anxiety does play havoc with yer well being , that's for sure...Hang in there mate ...and you'll hopefully be jetting off with a PL season ahead of you ... x

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:32 am

Dubai Blue wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:49 am
I'm assuming that Hirst & Burns both came off after around 60 mins in order not to over exert them so I would expect them both to be ready to go again today and hopefully again on Sat. With 2 games left why start with anything other than your full strength 11?

Davis seems unlikely so it will be interesting to see if Humphries gets a game. He hasn't let us down yet and Clarke must be generally preferred on the right.

All just my opinions and perhaps KM will anyway pick his 11 to suit the opposition which he will have analysed infinitely more than we have :-)

I'll be up in Dubai watching the game - nervous for sure but 22 years is a long time and I would not miss it for anything.
I thin if Davis doesn't make it , then Clarke will start on the Left ...Axel continuing on the right .

Broadhead can be brilliant or annon...unfortunately .
Like you I think both Hirst and Burns will start. I thought Hirst particularly , was excellent vs Hull and showed us what we'd been missing.

Mauswara

Post by Mauswara » Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:37 am

hallamblue wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:32 am
Dubai Blue wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:49 am

I thin if Davis doesn't make it , then Clarke will start on the Left ...Axel continuing on the right .

Broadhead can be brilliant or annon...unfortunately .
Like you I think both Hirst and Burns will start. I thought Hirst particularly , was excellent vs Hull and showed us what we'd been missing.
Yeah I think Clarke will start if Davis is unfit as well, like you say Humphries has been solid whenever he's been called on but am a bit dubious KMc will use him at this stage in the proceedings.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:32 pm

I think the problem for me is I've never in my heart of hearts truly believed we'd attain automatic promotion and if I'm honest I still don't which is getting to me now as we are so so close plus the fact I wouldn't fancy us in the play offs one bit. Tonite is massive!!!!! Get the bloody job all but done !!!!!

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:54 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:32 pm
I think the problem for me is I've never in my heart of hearts truly believed we'd attain automatic promotion and if I'm honest I still don't which is getting to me now as we are so so close plus the fact I wouldn't fancy us in the play offs one bit. Tonite is massive!!!!! Get the bloody job all but done !!!!!
I'm with you there Mike, and recent form has only compounded that feeling. The door has been opened for us a few times it seems, and while we haven't fallen flat on our face, we're still stumbling ungracefully towards it as it closes.

If they don't overthink things and instead try and enjoy tonight and play their way, then we'll make it. Start getting too cute with tactics like if we're drawing we should do this, if we're winning we should do that etc, they'll be asking for trouble. This is the cup final, go and win it and don't look back.
Last edited by Ricco on Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:54 pm

Truth is we have got used to being disappointed over all these years but KM does it differently. We should have got used now to him achieving. I'm educating myself to be more optimistic about ITFC so I'm thinking a bit win tonight.