Championship - Ipswich Town vs Huddersfield Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

I would settle for a draw ..................

Ipswich Win
95%
Huddersfield Win
No votes
Draw
5%

Total votes: 20

number 9

Re: Championship - Ipswich Town vs Huddersfield Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by number 9 » Thu May 02, 2024 8:31 pm

If it’s 0-0 at 75mins, don’t be surprised if Rossi runs on the pitch and bangs in the winner…and I use the word “runs” lightly! :lol:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu May 02, 2024 8:33 pm

Lmao

shabba

Post by shabba » Thu May 02, 2024 9:19 pm

Any thoughts on the line up? For such a big game do you maybe go with a mix of youngsters who play without fear (Hutchinson, Sarminto etc) and experienced players who have been there before, like Moore.

Hladkey (if winning well I think Walton might be subbed on late in the game, that would be a nice touch).

Axel (I'd personal go for Clarke due to his more attacking threat, but he'll come on later if he doesnt start)
Wolfie (I'm sure he will start over Edmudson)
Burges
Davis (Maybe having clark on the bench gives you cover if Davis needs taking off)

Morsy
Masimo (I could see Taylor starting due to Masimo playing alot lately and Taylor being more attacking)

Burns
Chaplin
Hutchinson

Moore

This is HARD to call - Hutch has to start, but Burns has been very good since coming back, Chaplin might miss out, but then he is also good and being in the right place to grab a goal - especially against teams who sit deeper. Broadhead not in the best form but looked fairly lively lately.
Hutchinson is maybe better on the right cutting in, or central etc than on the left, even though some of his goals have came from that position.

The aerial ability of Moore might suit this game, but Hirst is probably lined up to start given he didn't start midweek.

Sarminto has been very lively lately, but seems better off the bench (like Hutch used to be), and maybe you want to 'save' him for a more tired defense later in the game, as he is a tricky player who can carry the ball well.

Either way it'll be a very strong bench.

Denny61

Post by Denny61 » Thu May 02, 2024 9:23 pm

Its good chelski are winning 2nil now ..they mite start to forget about Hutchinson lol.lol

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Thu May 02, 2024 9:31 pm

I don't know if Burns pulled up with cramp or an injury?

I'd say start Broadhead, Chaplin, Hirst and Hutchinson as the front 4. The rest the same other than maybe Woolfie will be switched back in, depending who Huddersfield have up top. I'd start Luongo too if his legs are fresh enough.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Thu May 02, 2024 9:32 pm

Shabba, I think the starting line up will be very similar to Coventry with the exception of Chaplin & Woolfy coming in. Hutch has to start if healthy and we need Moore defensively for set pieces. Wouldn’t be surprised if Broadhead makes way for Chaplin, and Woolfy for Edmundson. It also depends on Axel’s fitness whether or not Clarke starts. I’m hoping Davis will be healthy, obviously he’s very important to our style of play.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu May 02, 2024 9:59 pm

AzzurroMark wrote:
Thu May 02, 2024 7:43 pm
I do not want the scores to be level beyond say 75 minutes. You just know what is likely to happen in that scenario! If it is approaching half time & it's 0-0 things are going to get tense! We all want a big win, many are anticipating as much, however it seems there are elements who are just not prepared to accept that a loss, however disastrous, is always a freak possibility! Personally speaking I'd rather play the devil's advocate and be the villain of the piece by talking down our chances of an easy win!
You, and others are obviously correct with that part in bold. I mean its a game o football; weird sh*t happens…….. But i suppose (for me anyway) its more about having faith (and confidence) that the boss will inspire them to a more than satisfactory win. Its not being blind and not realising that Huddersfield will be coming to play…… Its just the belief is sooooooooo much greater.
Couldnt be anything other than in Party Mood pre kick off. But …… thats what stadiums are loaded with ——>> drums, singing and bald nail biters.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Thu May 02, 2024 10:10 pm

marko69 wrote:
Thu May 02, 2024 9:59 pm
AzzurroMark wrote:
I do not want the scores to be level beyond say 75 minutes. You just know what is likely to happen in that scenario! If it is approaching half time & it's 0-0 things are going to get tense! We all want a big win, many are anticipating as much, however it seems there are elements who are just not prepared to accept that a loss, however disastrous, is always a freak possibility! Personally speaking I'd rather play the devil's advocate and be the villain of the piece by talking down our chances of an easy win!
You, and others are obviously correct with that part in bold. I mean its a game o football; weird sh*t happens…….. But i suppose (for me anyway) its more about having faith (and confidence) that the boss will inspire them to a more than satisfactory win. Its not being blind and not realising that Huddersfield will be coming to play…… Its just the belief is sooooooooo much greater.
Couldnt be anything other than in Party Mood pre kick off. But …… thats what stadiums are loaded with ——>> drums, singing and bald nail biters.
Completely agree, Marko. Of course anything can happen, but I have faith in our manager & players to get the job done. If it doesn’t happen, it will be cruel and an injustice for what we’ve accomplished since the Americans came. I’d be less confident if we were away, but as I said before I just can’t see us losing. I watched the Matrix, Resurrections last night and I’m convinced, KM is the one!

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu May 02, 2024 10:20 pm

Oh definitely, 9……. Had it been away from home then maybe only 0-4 ……. But at PR ——>> 6-1 , Hanky fluffs a short pass out in front of a packed house…… but makes up with it with several worldlies and shares MOTM with Hutchinson after his double brace, and nothing to do with his teeth.

Spending too much time with Cannabis Blue.

Andym

Post by Andym » Thu May 02, 2024 10:27 pm

AzzurroMark wrote:
Under normal circumstances I’d expect a win. But there has been so much (too much on my opinion) talk of us being up already, of KMK being the new messiah, I find it worrying. I’m sure Kieran will be telling the players they have to go out and do the job, but they will be aware of the talk and that could have an impact. Hoping for a win, expecting promotion, but very (too?) aware that things can still go tits up.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Thu May 02, 2024 10:35 pm

I think the most important message is for the players to remain calm & patient. Don’t be over zealous defending in the box and conceding penalties. Control possession and play our game. I know, a lot easier said than done. I’ve been negative before, but I think we got this!

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Fri May 03, 2024 7:49 am

The other scenario is that both Leeds and Ipswich lose !
Wonder what the odds on that are ?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri May 03, 2024 7:50 am

Hladky

Tuanzebe
Burgess
Edmundson
Davis

Morsy
Luongo

Hutchinson
Chaplin
Burns

Moore

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri May 03, 2024 8:29 am

Hip, Mike I agree with that. McKenna won’t deviate from what is our norm. I would also have suggested that the defence played really well v Coventry. Strong , resilient, and with physical presence. Something it hasn’t often provided throughout the season. Huddersfield are a physical , big side, so I was going to suggest the defence from Tuesday remains the same.

I think Hirst is still being nursed back into the game, and so can see him coming on , on 70 mins. Not sure if Burns had just cramp or if that cramp resulted in a calf strain… we’ll see.

Town must turn up for this game , whoever Huddersfield field. There’s a suggestion they are going with younger players . If so they will bust a gut to proved they’re worth a place next season. This game is not a forgone conclusion in Towns favour. We need to get the first goal to calm the crown frankly. If it goes the other way, it’s going to be a very nervy afternoon.

Finally ..COME ON SAINTS! :lol:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri May 03, 2024 10:10 am

Yes the defence was good at Coventry, I thought Burgess was fab while Edmundson and Tuanzebe both did very well too, I hope he sticks with it. I believe it was confirmed that Burns just had a bout of cramp, he went to kick Rossi up the arse and missed :wink: :lol: I expect him to play.

We really are due a big performance from Conor Chaplin and that is why I favour him over Nathan Broadhead, for me Chaplin has been anonymous for a long time now with a lot of success coming from the likes of Hutchinson and Sarmiento instead.

I expect Moore will do 70 minutes and then Hirst carries us over the line to the Premier League.

shabba

Post by shabba » Fri May 03, 2024 10:53 am

Think your 10/11 right there Mike for the XI, I would imagine Wolfie comes back in - should be less defending to do this game and more ball playing/carrying - which he is better at.

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Fri May 03, 2024 11:05 am

Bluemike wrote:
Fri May 03, 2024 7:50 am
Hladky

Tuanzebe
Burgess
Edmundson
Davis

Morsy
Luongo

Hutchinson
Chaplin
Burns

Moore
I think Hirst will start instead of Moore. Rested against Coventry. Town are a better side with Hirst than Moore. For me Hirst is a better player than Moore.
If Burns is fit I agree on the rest

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri May 03, 2024 1:46 pm

I hope not, I thought we looked better when Moore came on and although I probably prefer Hirst I am not convinced he is ready to return yet.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Fri May 03, 2024 6:33 pm

Read someplace senior game official tomorrow admires or has some affection for our club name. In other words we're not getting someone entirely impartial. I don't check out referee dossiers and name history each time we play and whatever truth is in it the players we got, the opposition, and home advantage should render any idea or perceived favoritism immaterial.

We just can't f*ck up in this one. There's been some upsets or surprise scores on route this season but just about everything points to a Town victory. They won't even take a point from it. Maybe quit worrying for all and anyone who concerns over this event, it's pretty much plain sailing and we will be promoted by end of game. Its going to be fine. Todo va bien.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Fri May 03, 2024 6:52 pm

My auntie just texted me, and the family are all very excited! They’ve decorated the house with blue and white balloons and banners! I went to a few games with my uncle way back when. I wish I was there! She said she’s heard people are flying in from everywhere to celebrate if we get promoted. Carpe diem! COYB!!

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Fri May 03, 2024 8:19 pm

number 9 wrote:
Fri May 03, 2024 6:52 pm
My auntie just texted me, and the family are all very excited! They’ve decorated the house with blue and white balloons and banners! I went to a few games with my uncle way back when. I wish I was there! She said she’s heard people are flying in from everywhere to celebrate if we get promoted. Carpe diem! COYB!!
That's great. Can imagine a lot of people will be heading into Ipswich just to take it all in and to feel closer to it all.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri May 03, 2024 8:26 pm

I'm not gonna lie, now I've just arrived at Stansted Airport and checked in to hotel it is hitting me hard that I'm not there tomorrow, I've tried to not think about it and play it down but I'm devastated if I'm honest, I only have myself to blame i guess but who'd have thought this scenario was possible 18 months ago when I booked the holiday.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Fri May 03, 2024 8:35 pm

If it’s any consolation Mike, I won’t even be able to watch the game live on tv. Have to work tomorrow, and since it’s an early kickoff won’t even be able to check my phone until well into the second half. I’m thinking it may be a blessing in disguise cuz I’d be too emotional watching it live.

shabba

Post by shabba » Fri May 03, 2024 8:50 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Fri May 03, 2024 8:26 pm
I'm not gonna lie, now I've just arrived at Stansted Airport and checked in to hotel it is hitting me hard that I'm not there tomorrow, I've tried to not think about it and play it down but I'm devastated if I'm honest, I only have myself to blame i guess but who'd have thought this scenario was possible 18 months ago when I booked the holiday.
I think I'd have got another flight regardless of cost, but take some comfort in the fact you've been there for all the amazing games this season, so many great moments etc.

I didn't get a ticket for Exeter last year, thought'd I'd been clever by ordering an away ticket - even had the printed ticket posted to me and in my hands - before getting an email from the club 3 days before the match cancelling the ticket due to a database check between the clubs.

I vowed I cannot let that happen again, so ensured I got my ticket for this match as soon as I could.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri May 03, 2024 9:04 pm

If it was just a flight I may have done but its transport, hotel, etc etc and it's so much hassle. I will never book a first week of May holiday again lol. But If we get it done tomorrow my celebrations in Albufeira are gonna be off the scale.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri May 03, 2024 9:04 pm

number 9 wrote:
Fri May 03, 2024 8:35 pm
If it’s any consolation Mike, I won’t even be able to watch the game live on tv. Have to work tomorrow, and since it’s an early kickoff won’t even be able to check my phone until well into the second half. I’m thinking it may be a blessing in disguise cuz I’d be too emotional watching it live.
Maybe our health will be better for it lol

shabba

Post by shabba » Fri May 03, 2024 9:06 pm

What did you end up doing with your ST? Resale feature? Does Hallum know who she's got next to her tomorrow?

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri May 03, 2024 9:46 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Fri May 03, 2024 8:26 pm

I can’t believe you’re not there either mate. In your position there’s no way on earth I’d ever be on that plane. Like Shabba I’d have either switched the flight and if that wasn’t possible I’d have pushed the holiday back a week. For different reasons we’ve pushed our flights to Los Angeles back from this w/e to Tuesday, sometimes it just has to be done.
Anyway mate I can’t believe I’ll be watching on TV as I’ve not missed a major town game since 1961 including being there when we won the English League Championship (Div 1) v Aston Villa (1961–62) at Portman Road. The Wembley FA Cup Final (1978) v Arsenal, every European game we’ve played including both legs of the UEFA Cup final when we won the UEFA Cup in 1980–81 v AZ 67 Alkmaar, and of course the Championship play off final v Barnsley in 2000 when we were last promoted to the Premier League. As much as I love watching on TV it’s not the same as being there and of course it’s a very different memory being there when it actually happened.
I can’t believe I’ve not made more effort to get a ticket for tomorrow as I doubt there will be many of us who’ve been there every time Town have won a major game over such a long period.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Fri May 03, 2024 9:53 pm

We were living on Defoe Road when we played Arsenal in the FA Cup final. I laid on the floor closest to the tv. I’ll never forget the elation I felt when we won. I’m hoping those memories will be resurrected tomorrow.

Mariner67

Post by Mariner67 » Fri May 03, 2024 10:00 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Fri May 03, 2024 9:04 pm
If it was just a flight I may have done but its transport, hotel, etc etc and it's so much hassle. I will never book a first week of May holiday again lol. But If we get it done tomorrow my celebrations in Albufeira are gonna be off the scale.
Albufeira is a great place to party 🥳