US Open Tennis Tournament - Emma Raducanu.

A place to chat about anything thats not football related. Most of the threads in here are completely pointless which is why people keep coming back and back. As the forum title suggests, feel free to make any post you want on any subject you wish. It also has Adult jokes (so be warned) which is the other reason people keep coming back.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Charnwood
Global Moderator

US Open Tennis Tournament - Emma Raducanu.

Post by Charnwood » Sun Sep 12, 2021 2:22 pm

I’ve never been a great fan of women’s tennis and always looked at it as being way behind the men’s game, but having been taken in by all the hype over Emma Raducanu I just had to watch last night Final and what a final it was.

Emma Raducanu was sensational and her opponent Leylah Fernandez was no mug either and these two could well dominate the WTA tour for the next 10 years or more. I don’t think I exaggerate when I say that’s the best ladies tennis final I have ever watched and the fairy tale element of her win in New York made it even more incredible.

The 18-year-old is the first British woman in 44 years to win a Grand Slam singles title, did not drop a set throughout the tournament and is also the first qualifier to win a major title. It doesn’t come much better than that. Well apart from the
2.5m US$ prize money.

marko69
Global Moderator

Re: US Open Tennis Tournament - Emma Raducanu.

Post by marko69 » Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:57 pm

Yes, very well done. Hopefully she isn't a one tournament wonder like Sue Barker or Virginia Wade. She won't be. She looks way too strong.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Sep 12, 2021 6:24 pm

She has been fantastic the whole tournament, last night was no fluke, shes taken all her opponents apart, she is without doubt the real deal, we started to see it at Wimbledon, I see her as a world number One in years to come.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:08 pm

It will interesting to see how far she climbs up the rankings after this win. I think before the US Open she was ranked circa 185’ish.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:40 am

I've read she's now 23rd

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:18 am

Wow that’s some progress, ranked 338th pre Wimbledon to 23rd in less than 3 months surely that’s another record she’s broken. 👏