Jay McEveley - opinions on him

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

bobby_davro

Jay McEveley - opinions on him

Post by bobby_davro » Fri Aug 04, 2006 11:46 am

Hey Ipswich fans, a Blackburn fan here. Was wondering what you lot thought of him? Hes played some preseason for blackburn and hes looked AWFUL ( was a major cause of the 5-1 defeat to Olympiakias ), what did you do to him! :lol:

The general opinion with Rovers fans is mixed, some are still living off a performance when he had Beckham in his pocket, even though Beckham couldnt beat a Egg. Its seems madness that Mark Hughes is going to have him as a backup Left Back.

Would you take him as your first choice Left back or Centre back? and whats the general consenus of Mceveley as a player, was he error prone last season for you guys?, was he getting skinned alot?.

Thank you for any opinions guys!

Ojc

Post by Ojc » Fri Aug 04, 2006 11:51 am

Diabolical, useless, worse than Matt Richards at left back! Need I carry on? And all this is from his days playing in the Championship, he would be a laughing stock in the Premier league.

Ipswich Loyal

Post by Ipswich Loyal » Fri Aug 04, 2006 11:53 am

He's clumsy and is such a donkey. He can't pass to save his life.

PUNCH

Post by PUNCH » Fri Aug 04, 2006 11:53 am

He looked okay in the Championship. He'd certainly be our first choice left back over Scott Barron (youngster just coming through). You could tell he had a bit more class than others around him but that didn't mean that he wasn't prone to the occasional lapse in concentration leading to a goal (as a lot of young players do).

Looked a bit hot headed at times but as i said.. generally okay. I wouldn't condone Jim (or Joe before) laying out more than about 100k on him though.

loudnproud
Forum Hall of Famer

Post by loudnproud » Fri Aug 04, 2006 11:56 am

I followed Mceverly in all his matches he played for us and for awhile was puzzled as to what Royle,our then manager,seen in him.
He looked lost at times and not controlled with his distribution.On two occasions i got to see the real Mceverly and started to see his strengths,but he showed these to far between games. I felt that he was too exposed when he was here with a relativly weak mid-field in front of him and also playing along side an erratic at times centre half called Naylor didnt do him any justice.

I dont think he was a dreadfull player,our team last season was not fired up at all,so he looked as bad as the others.His injury was nasty and in his reserve come-back game against west ham,once he made the crunch tackle,his confidence began to grow again,I do not think for one min he is a prem class player,certainly not at left back. enjoy your season

Dazza

Post by Dazza » Fri Aug 04, 2006 3:36 pm

PUNCH wrote:He looked okay in the Championship. He'd certainly be our first choice left back over Scott Barron (youngster just coming through). You could tell he had a bit more class than others around him but that didn't mean that he wasn't prone to the occasional lapse in concentration leading to a goal (as a lot of young players do).

Looked a bit hot headed at times but as i said.. generally okay. I wouldn't condone Jim (or Joe before) laying out more than about 100k on him though.
I'd back what Punch has said. He did "okay" - What I will say is he was fantastic in the last game at Portman Road last season, if he could of played like that week in week out someone would of been buying him off Blackburn!!!

Anyways, as for the "okay" tag, he's young, theres no doubt he'll get better in the future. I'm not sure he could cut it in the Premiership yet, one more season on loan to a Championship club might be a good plan.

But we shall see. Good luck to Blackburn in the Premiership! :D

bobby_davro

Post by bobby_davro » Fri Aug 04, 2006 6:54 pm

Thanks for the replies Tractor boys. Personally I dont rate McEveley at all, glad to see people think the same! A person in a coma has better awareness then Mceveley

If your in need of a good striker,, Matt Derbyshire is going out on loan to a championship side, can see him scoring 20+ goals in the Championship given the chance. He's very highly rated at the club. Whoever gets him will have a goal machine.

Btw Thanks for Kuqi, most fans dont rate him at all though, his first touch isnt too hot is it :lol: Makes for some good comedic viewing, at least Bellamy had someone to give bollockings to all the time! Im sure Kuqi's happy to see back of him at least :lol:

der Hildener

Post by der Hildener » Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:11 pm

Could be a player for us.

In the past, our Board of Directors spent a Fortune on Players like him, and that`s the simple reason why we are there now, where we are, from high - flying european cup finalists to a third div. team.

Himple

Post by Himple » Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:15 pm

bobby_davro wrote:Thanks for the replies Tractor boys. Personally I dont rate McEveley at all, glad to see people think the same! A person in a coma has better awareness then Mceveley

If your in need of a good striker,, Matt Derbyshire is going out on loan to a championship side, can see him scoring 20+ goals in the Championship given the chance. He's very highly rated at the club. Whoever gets him will have a goal machine.

Btw Thanks for Kuqi, most fans dont rate him at all though, his first touch isnt too hot is it :lol: Makes for some good comedic viewing, at least Bellamy had someone to give bollockings to all the time! Im sure Kuqi's happy to see back of him at least :lol:
Dont bash my Shefki :wink: Legend in my eyes Haha.

Oh and yeah, McEveleys sh*te :lol: saying that his last game for us against Derby was a good performance.

Rach

Post by Rach » Sat Aug 05, 2006 2:21 pm

McEveley was rubbish in most games....I was really shockd when i saw he'd be given a new contract at Blackburn as I definately dont think he's good enough to play in the Premiership...

itfc_01

Post by itfc_01 » Sat Aug 05, 2006 2:29 pm

oh well their loss LOL :lol: